MavsBoard
DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] (/showthread.php?tid=200)

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Mapka - 10-02-2020

(10-02-2020, 06:35 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
(10-02-2020, 06:22 AM)Mapka Wrote: Wait - I said add Jrue for the picks like for #18, #31,Wright, JJ, WCS, 5 Mio.
Gifting away value roleplayers is not what I am envisioning.

If we have any cap in 2021, we have regressed.

Yeah I got your idea, but if you acquire Jrue Holiday for expiring contracts, then you are basically saying that he is your 2021 FA signing in 2020 for the cost of two virtual first round picks. That´s the issue I have.

Our window is just opening, not closing. We don´t need to blow assets on 2021 FAs. If you feel Myles Turner or Aaaron Gordon are the guys, then make the move. Just don´t use assets for players that you can have for free in 2021.

I see it the other way around. If you have to make room for his kind of contract you are giving up way more than 2 picks including this years MLE.

By the way I don't think this trade is possible.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Kammrath - 10-02-2020

(10-02-2020, 06:38 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Vecenie has moved him from 21 to 7 on his board.

Makes sense. If you buy the shooting changes he is EASY top 10 and maybe top 5 IMO.

(10-02-2020, 12:09 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Kamm, we can't draft everybody....

That said, this guy should be available in the mid second round. Buy a pick and grab him.

I am just saying there are options. This draft has a lot more guys that I like in the late first to early second than most drafts. Very deep with guys who COULD pan out IMO. 

However, I think most of the guys I am mentioning and suggesting are going to be risers by the time the draft rolls around. Let's watch and see. I think Ty-Shon will end up needing to be picked with #31 if you want him.

I will keep maintaining that this should be the craziest draft in memory with how the big board is going to be completely shuffled and the night itself should be total chaos where MANY guys will end up with like a 20-30 pick range of where they fall.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - DanSchwartzgan - 10-02-2020

Article on the trainer RJ Hampton is working with.  He's based in Dallas area.  He's also working with WCS and Willie's college roommate  Julius Randle.  

https://pickinsplinters.com/2020/09/08/relph-realizing-a-trainers-dream-with-tyler-relph-basketball-lab/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=relph-realizing-a-trainers-dream-with-tyler-relph-basketball-lab

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - dirkfansince1998 - 10-02-2020

(10-02-2020, 10:32 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Article on the trainer RJ Hampton is working with.  He's based in Dallas area.  He's also working with WCS and Willie's college roommate  Julius Randle. 

If that is the ceiling of his jumpshot I wouldn´t waste a first on him. Didn´t know that Randle and WCS were college roomates but that explains a lot. Thankfully the Mavs have been out on Randle.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Hypermav - 10-02-2020

https://clutchpoints.com/nba-news-top-5-lottery-prospect-deni-avdija-addresses-luka-doncic-comparisons/

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Kammrath - 10-02-2020

(10-02-2020, 10:37 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: If that is the ceiling of his jumpshot

If what is the ceiling of his jumpshot?

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - dirkfansince1998 - 10-02-2020

(10-02-2020, 12:39 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(10-02-2020, 10:37 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: If that is the ceiling of his jumpshot

If what is the ceiling of his jumpshot?

WCS or Randle level.

(10-02-2020, 12:49 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: WCS or Randle level.

OH, I think this guy is trying to fix ALL their shooting. But yeah....

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Scott41theMavs - 10-02-2020

Just getting caught up with stuff. A few points:

1) Dundalis lost 100% of his credibility with me when he cited the Sixers as great asset managers who are in a wonderful position. LOL, that someone would think that. They have tens of millions sunk into Al Horford and Tobias Harris, and have few trade assets. They are a trainwreck, and Doc's laissez-faire crap on the court and in the lockerroom is going to hurt, not help.

2) I think nearly everyone in this discussion is losing sight of the fact that we have a player who is by authoritative consensus the fourth-best player in the league - with a freaking bullet. To argue that he cannot compete for a title in 2020-21 with the right roster is a b!tch-slap to him (he has the mindset of wanting to win-now for sure), and a b!tch-slap to the intelligence of basketball minds around the world. Moreover, we are less than a calendar year away from the time to tender him a qualifying offer. If he wants to Gordon Hayward us - see, it does happen, because it has historically happened before - that is when it will happen. We live in a world where superstar players dictate to their current teams and league as to where they want to play. The clock is ticking for the Mavs, and the time is far shorter than virtually anyone on this board takes it to be. They don't need to do anything stupid (KL's concern), but they need at the naked minimum to add a player who will not necessarily be a star, but will be the third-best player on the team right now (which I have said many times over is *not hard to do,* because this team outside of Luka and KP consists of two guys who could compete for being the 5th-best starter on a contending team in THJ and DFS, and a crew of bench players - the Mavs of course believed erroneously that pre-injury Powell was a starter; Powell recovering from an Achilles injury is by all objective measures a bench-level player *at best*). IDGAfreak if they do it by the draft (probably need to move up to do it), a trade, or free agency. They don't have the real-world option not to do it. Moreover, given the quality (snort) of our roster outside of Luka and KP, the guy can certainly be a rental (someone who expires in '21) to keep next summer's options open - it will still mean a more competitive team on the court. If THJ isn't here next year for some reason, then the burden is on them to get two of those players, but that is of course not necessarily harder in the sense that it probably happened by virtue of THJ opting in and the Mavs trading him for one of those guys. Bottom line, relying solely on 18, 31, and the MLE to improve the team would be quite dangerous and foolish (caveat - *unless* the MBT has an internal assurance that the guy or guys they get in the draft are Brunsons whom they know by virtue of their scouting confidence will be able to contribute right away, and *unless* they get a guy with the full MLE who fulfills my above criteria of third-best player - but, that's not at all how at least one person here is thinking), IMnotsoHO, and I'm very glad that people who think that way aren't running this team, whatever the MBT's shortcomings might be.

3) Since when can't we bundle 18 and 31 to move up? Last I heard, we could use them to move up between 2-8 places. If they have a super-Brunson (not position, but readiness) player in mind who would be more likely to be on the board at that point, why wouldn't they do that?

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Mavs2019 - 10-02-2020

(10-02-2020, 12:58 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(10-02-2020, 12:49 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: WCS or Randle level.

OH, I think this guy is trying to fix ALL their shooting. But yeah....
Donnie: Hey Willie we heard you had a baby. Congrats. It´s important that you capture their life for later. Here is a brand new high resolution camera. Why don´t you test it out. Take it to the gym, play a little one on one with Julius and RJ. Maybe let us see where they are with their contested jumpshots. Big Grin

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - KillerLeft - 10-02-2020

@"Scott41theMavs" I love your heart. 

Personally, I think it's pretty much impossible for the Mavs to reach true contender status before Luka's rookie max extension even happens. Has ANYONE ever done that? 

He's clearly good enough to ensure that the team will reach contender status in the future. There's no doubt about that. 

I don't see it happening for a few years though, unless a third transformative deal is made, like signing Giannis, or something else on that level. If the process ends up being organic, I still believe they'll get there, but my goodness, they are FAR away from being as good as some of these other teams, imo.

(10-02-2020, 01:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think it's pretty much impossible for the Mavs to reach true contender status before Luka's rookie max extension even happens. Has ANYONE ever done that?

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - KillerLeft - 10-02-2020

(10-02-2020, 01:41 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(10-02-2020, 01:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think it's pretty much impossible for the Mavs to reach true contender status before Luka's rookie max extension even happens. Has ANYONE ever done that?

Holy HELL, is that true? Was Wade still on his original rookie deal in 2006?

(10-02-2020, 01:45 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Holy HELL, is that true? Was Wade still on his original rookie deal in 2006?

He was in his third year like Luka will be next year.

(10-02-2020, 02:01 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(10-02-2020, 01:45 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Holy HELL, is that true? Was Wade still on his original rookie deal in 2006?

He was in his third year like Luka will be next year.

That's crazy. I guess it's possible then. I still don't see the Mavs being competitive next year unless they pull something huge out of thin air (or several things) but it's interesting to know that it has happened before. 

Kind of makes me feel even worse about the Mavs losing that Finals, tbh.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - khaled1987 - 10-02-2020

(10-02-2020, 01:45 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(10-02-2020, 01:41 PM)Kammrath Wrote:

Holy HELL, is that true? Was Wade still on his original rookie deal in 2006?

Yes, 3rd year. Kawhi was 3rd year too with SAS, Kobe with LA and Shaq with Orlando. 
But other than Shaq, all had experienced HOFer who were playing great, among the top 3 coach of the past few decades.
That said, I agree with your point, I don't think we will be a true contender next year and unless Giannis/Kawhi joins us in 2021 then it is unlikely to happen in his rookie deal.

(10-02-2020, 02:06 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Yes, 3rd year. Kawhi was 3rd year too with SAS, Kobe with LA and Shaq with Orlando. 

But other than Shaq, all had experienced HOFer who were playing great, among the top 3 coach of the past few decades.
That said, I agree with your point, I don't think we will be a true contender next year and unless Giannis/Kawhi joins us in 2021 then it is unlikely to happen in his rookie deal.

Yeah, Wade counts, and maybe Shaq with Orlando (I can't remember much about that team, sorry).

Kawhi and Kobe don't count, because they were brought into teams already good as a result of being years into being built around other great players. Their teams just lucky and added generational talents without having to start from scratch. You can put Tim Duncan on that list, too.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - omahen - 10-02-2020

(10-02-2020, 02:06 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: That's crazy. I guess it's possible then. I still don't see the Mavs being competitive next year unless they pull something huge out of thin air (or several things) but it's interesting to know that it has happened before.

I don't think it is that crazy. For example, if Wright is upgraded with someone like Schroeder, we sign a Millsap type player for MLE (and both moves work as planned) while all other players at least keep playing at last season level, Mavs are certainly much better than they were this past season. As far as playoffs go, these are basically two legit starters we were missing (Millsap still can be a starter level in playoff, would save him a bit in regular season).

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - khaled1987 - 10-02-2020

(10-02-2020, 02:35 AM)Mapka Wrote: We are in win now mode because we can win now. 
If you have a chance you go for it. 
We entered this stage one-and-a half years ago, when we gave away all possible draft picks. 

I don't say screw everything to win now. But to pick a wellfitting highfloor prospect instead of a boom-or-bust high potential high risk player is fine with me. 

If you don't even try to win because your time will come, then you will be the Sixers or the Timberwolves.

Sixers main problem is that they put all their assets on their "win now" mode. In addition to wasting those assets of course

(10-02-2020, 02:11 PM)Oman Wrote: I don't think it is that crazy. For example, if Wright is upgraded with someone like Schroeder, we sign a Millsap type player for MLE (and both moves work as planned) while all other players at least keep playing at last season level, Mavs are certainly much better than they were this past season. As far as playoffs go, these are basically two legit starters we were missing (Millsap still can be a starter level in playoff, would save him a bit in regular season).

This is kind of how I felt after the Clippers series, but then we found out how much of a dumpster fire they were. 

Then, I watched every game for the rest of the playoffs. I don't know - you might be right. I just have a hard time seeing them get to the level the final four reached this season. 

I sure hope they can!