MavsBoard
DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] (/showthread.php?tid=200)

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - KillerLeft - 10-01-2020

(09-30-2020, 10:56 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
One more guy I am super high on for the #31 slot is Paul Reed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRCy45OpCNk

I think I like this dude more than Tyler Bey.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Kammrath - 10-01-2020

(10-01-2020, 11:06 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think I like this dude more than Tyler Bey.

I think Paul Reed is longer and more of a "big" and TBey is more of a true wing with regard to perimeter guarding skills. I like TBey's shooting potential better which is why I like him better.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - KillerLeft - 10-01-2020

(10-01-2020, 12:57 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(10-01-2020, 11:06 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think I like this dude more than Tyler Bey.

I think Paul Reed is longer and more of a "big" and TBey is more of a true wing with regard to perimeter guarding skills. I like TBey's shooting potential better which is why I like him better.

Yes, I know. 

But I think they're BOTH 4-5 types, as you know, so here we are. This dude already looks like he has an NBA game on defense to me.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Hypermav - 10-01-2020

https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/10/01/nba-mock-draft-lamelo-ball-goes-no-1-tyrell-terry-rises-up-the-board/3/

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Kammrath - 10-01-2020

(10-01-2020, 01:06 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think they're BOTH 4-5 types

This is my last reply on this particular issue:

I think you are dead wrong about TBey. He was listed as a GUARD in college and is listed as a G/F or wing in mock drafts. He is NOT a "big." 

Reed on the other hand is MUCH more of a big, a F/C.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Scott41theMavs - 10-01-2020

(10-01-2020, 02:20 PM)Hypermav Wrote: https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/10/01/nba-mock-draft-lamelo-ball-goes-no-1-tyrell-terry-rises-up-the-board/3/

That's one of the most fascinating, and realistic, mocks I've seen. Certainly reflects the rising stock of several players. I don't agree with them saying Edwards doesn't go top two, but that would probably be smart. Tiger at 20 - amiright about him? I would love for the Mavs to take Achiuwa at 18 (some early teen GMs made mistakes if he falls that low), but if Cole Anthony is on the board that low, that could end up being a tough decision.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - omahen - 10-01-2020

(10-01-2020, 02:28 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I would love for the Mavs to take Achiuwa at 18

I am not sure about the fit, I am affraid he will be redundant. Powell will play until he is traded or retires. Neither will happen soon. And the way the season is being postpone, looks like Powell will be ready from game 1

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Mavs2019 - 10-01-2020

(10-01-2020, 02:28 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(10-01-2020, 02:20 PM)Hypermav Wrote: https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/10/01/nba-mock-draft-lamelo-ball-goes-no-1-tyrell-terry-rises-up-the-board/3/

That's one of the most fascinating, and realistic, mocks I've seen. Certainly reflects the rising stock of several players. I don't agree with them saying Edwards doesn't go top two, but that would probably be smart. Tiger at 20 - amiright about him? I would love for the Mavs to take Achiuwa at 18 (some early teen GMs made mistakes if he falls that low), but if Cole Anthony is on the board that low, that could end up being a tough decision.
Their take on WCJ is strange to say the least. No defensive impact. Here are the Bulls regulars RTG/per 100

Satoransky -1
Lavine -4
Markkanen -2
Dunn -2
Young -7
White -12
Arcanidicano -2
WCJ +7

If only I could find the one outlier in this list.

Also with Gafford being a team best +15 off the bench in limited minutes, I´m sure the Bulls would love LOVE to give away Thad Young for free.

(10-01-2020, 02:39 PM)omahen Wrote:
(10-01-2020, 02:28 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I would love for the Mavs to take Achiuwa at 18

I am not sure about the fit, I am affraid he will be redundant. Powell will play until he is traded or retires. Neither will happen soon. And the way the season is being postpone, looks like Powell will be ready from game 1
Plus his hands look questionable in the highlights I have seen. Fumbling around balls and lay-ups with the ball rolling around the rim. At least you can make 20 minute highlights of Tyler Bey properly catching and finishing with dunks. If you can´t even do that and that´s basically all you do, that´s a hard pass. I like Stewart a lot more and he´s possibly availble at #31.

I like him, for the same reason I like Paul Reed (he is like a thicker and stronger version of Reed in some ways). Interesting that his comp is Jerami Grant.  

Not sure I would want him over TBey though (tough call for me)....and I would be PISSED to see the Heat add TBey at 20 and miss out on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1iR1ncNTfM

(10-01-2020, 02:26 PM)Kammrath Wrote:

I think you are dead wrong about TBey. He was listed as a GUARD in college and is listed as a G/F or wing in mock drafts. He is NOT a "big." 

I understand your view on the subject, I just flatly disagree. I didn't think my post warranted a reply, as we've discussed this already. Not sure why you wrote this.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Scott41theMavs - 10-01-2020

(10-01-2020, 03:26 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:

I understand your view on the subject, I just flatly disagree. I didn't think my post warranted a reply, as we've discussed this already. Not sure why you wrote this.

I think that the need for a defensive "wing" could be met by a "four wing," which could involve a "big man" who can hit a three and successfully defend the perimeter. I think such a player would fit in the starting lineup much better than Powell would given KP's flourishing in what used to be Powell's role. I have said many times that the Mavs need another creator next to Luka (more than anything else, including that defensive wing), but I don't expect that guy to be available in the draft (unless we trade up for Haliburton, perhaps?), so I'm fine with Achiuwa, Reed, Tiger, Smith, et al.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Hypermav - 10-01-2020

Precious is sneaky with his body.  Explosive and all, but he just slides by defenders silky smooth.  Harrell who? why?

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Mavs2019 - 10-01-2020

(10-01-2020, 03:49 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:

I think that the need for a defensive "wing" could be met by a "four wing," which could involve a "big man" who can hit a three and successfully defend the perimeter. I think such a player would fit in the starting lineup much better than Powell would given KP's flourishing in what used to be Powell's role. I have said many times that the Mavs need another creator next to Luka (more than anything else, including that defensive wing), but I don't expect that guy to be available in the draft (unless we trade up for Haliburton, perhaps?), so I'm fine with Achiuwa, Reed, Tiger, Smith, et al.
Tyler Bey is a SF/PF, while Achiuwa, Reed and Smith are PF/C. I´m fine with taking one of them at #31, but at #18 such projected low-ceiling players would be disappointing. Of course if Achiuwa turns into Bam I always knew.

(10-01-2020, 04:08 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote:

Tyler Bey is a SF/PF, while Achiuwa, Reed and Smith are PF/C. I´m fine with taking one of them at #31, but at #18 such projected low-ceiling players would be disappointing. Of course if Achiuwa turns into Bam I always knew.

What do you expect to get at 18? I think if the Mavs keep their pick, when they have such a significant need to upgrade their roster, they should think in terms of the highest floor possible. They need someone who can be part of the rotation right away (even with some learning curve/growing pains), because our current rotation is Luka, KP, doesn't-really-fit-because-defense-and-creation THJ, can-be-your-fifth-best-starter DFS, and a bunch of bench players.

BTW, I consider T. Bey a clear-cut four.

(10-01-2020, 05:13 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(10-01-2020, 02:26 PM)Kammrath Wrote: This is my last reply on this particular issue:

Tyler Bey is a SF/PF, while Achiuwa, Reed and Smith are PF/C. I´m fine with taking one of them at #31, but at #18 such projected low-ceiling players would be disappointing. Of course if Achiuwa turns into Bam I always knew.

What do you expect to get at 18? I think if the Mavs keep their pick, when they have such a significant need to upgrade their roster, they should think in terms of the highest floor possible. They need someone who can be part of the rotation right away (even with some learning curve/growing pains), because our current rotation is Luka, KP, doesn't-really-fit-because-defense-and-creation THJ, can-be-your-fifth-best-starter DFS, and a bunch of bench players.

We don´t need a contributor right now. We need the BPA. I´d rather wait two years for an All-Star to develop than have a low-ceiling 15 MPG bench-ready player. Our strategy for the next 12 months should be build around finding that third star. If you want a defensive center that can catch lobs, sign him in FA. There are enough available this and next summer, in every price range.

https://twitter.com/MikeMiller_13/status/1311472627429539840?s=20

Am I crazy, or is this RJ Hampton shooting better than his reputation suggests he can?

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Reunion Mav Old - 10-01-2020

I would like to jump back in from my lurker position in this thread. I did post much earlier about trying to move up for Haliburton. He absolutely is a creator and a guy who can do most everything pretty well. Sadly, he is probably too good for us to get without giving up a lot. But I like your thinking Scott. A second creator who easily could quickly become our third best player would be an awesome get!

(10-01-2020, 05:41 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Am I crazy, or is this RJ Hampton shooting better than his reputation suggests he can?

Have you watched his game film? It's not just reputation, dude couldn't buy a bucket to save his life for long stretches. 40% from the field despite TONS of shots at the rim and 29% from three.

This is WAY better than he has shot in games. Can it translate to games? If so, he is a TAKE....but if this shooting is legit then I expect he will be a rapid riser on draft night and outside the Mavs range.

(10-01-2020, 05:23 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
(10-01-2020, 05:13 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(10-01-2020, 02:26 PM)Kammrath Wrote: This is my last reply on this particular issue:

We don´t need a contributor right now. We need the BPA. I´d rather wait two years for an All-Star to develop than have a low-ceiling 15 MPG bench-ready player. Our strategy for the next 12 months should be build around finding that third star. If you want a defensive center that can catch lobs, sign him in FA. There are enough available this and next summer, in every price range.

I think your thinking overrates our current roster (need to be ready to contend fairly seriously next year with Luka, and him + a real starting lineup, not necessarily loaded with stars, does the trick). I don't see any of the guys we're citing as "defensive centers who can catch lobs." We have a center (KP) and probably a backup as well (WCS). Nor do I see them as 15 mpg guys - if that's the case, they blew the pick.

I guess I'm being the MBT right now - if they can't get someone with #18 who can be a rotation player, if not a plug-and-play starter, they either need to trade up to get someone who can (my preference), or trade their first rounder on draft day for a proven starter (what they'll probably do). That's not the famous "undervaluing the draft." That's being realistic about their current situation.

Look, all a new player, drafted, traded for, or signed in free agency, has to do to start is to be better than anyone else we have other than Luka, KP, THJ (whom I've always said I hope is gone this season, but probably won't be), and DFS. I don't think that's that hard, TBQH. That's the roster we have.

(10-01-2020, 06:55 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(10-01-2020, 05:41 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Am I crazy, or is this RJ Hampton shooting better than his reputation suggests he can?

Have you watched his game film? It's not just reputation, dude couldn't buy a bucket to save his life for long stretches. 40% from the field despite TONS of shots at the rim and 29% from three.

This is WAY better than he has shot in games. Can it translate to games? If so, he is a TAKE....but if this shooting is legit then I expect he will be a rapid riser on draft night and outside the Mavs range.
Yeah these propaganda videos suggest him falling hard in mock drafts does have some substance behind it. He´s starting to slip from top 10 projection to borderline 1st round pick. These shooting videos are so useless. Do that again, but have somebody stay within three feet with their arms up. We have seen WCS shoot 90% on corner threes in a short empty gym clip.