MavsBoard
DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] (/showthread.php?tid=200)

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - KillerLeft - 09-26-2020

https://tenor.com/yZRh.gif

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - JamesConway - 09-26-2020

Mocks are all over the place. It's even worse this year bc of the overall circumstances. I expect a bunch of headscratchers on draft night.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - KillerLeft - 09-26-2020

That gif is for Scott and SBey being three at pick #18, not a passive aggressive joke about TBey's jump shot, lol.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Kammrath - 09-26-2020

(09-26-2020, 04:46 PM)JamesConway Wrote: I expect a bunch of headscratchers on draft night.

Draft night should be FUN because it should be chaos that does not follow any expected script. This draft has a lot of parity AND the scouting has been hurt by COVID.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - JamesConway - 09-26-2020

(09-26-2020, 04:31 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 04:29 PM)JamesConway Wrote: He's probably not as good a defender on the next level as some might think (not a great athlete)

Yes, SBey is NOT going to be a defensive stopper by any means, you just hope that he breaks even and isn't a negative.
That's not thrown around nearly enough Imo. I'd love to select him regardless. Being 6'8, a high IQ guy and a good shooter by itself is worth a lot.

IMO, a stud defensive "stopper" is only a needle mover in reality if the other elements of his game are proficient enough for him to be to play in your "best 5" lineup, or at least be one of your 6-7 best overall players. Guys who fit that bill are so rare that it's kind of like saying "get a superstar." Easier said than done. 

Give me a two-way player who doesn't suck on defense and works really, really hard on that end.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Scott41theMavs - 09-26-2020

(09-26-2020, 04:47 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 04:46 PM)JamesConway Wrote: I expect a bunch of headscratchers on draft night.

Draft night should be FUN because it should be chaos that does not follow any expected script. This draft has a lot of parity AND the scouting has been hurt by COVID.

It won't be much fun if the guy the Mavs targeted at 18, or traded up to 11 or so to get, goes three spots (or any spots) higher. But then again, we'll never know if that happens.

(09-26-2020, 04:54 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: IMO, a stud defensive "stopper" is only a needle mover in reality if the other elements of his game are proficient enough for him to be to play in your "best 5" lineup, or at least be one of your 6-7 best overall players. Guys who fit that bill are so rare that it's kind of like saying "get a superstar." Easier said than done.

Give me a two-way player who doesn't suck on defense and works really, really hard on that end.

Wouldn't his being a two-way player include by definition that he is a lot better than not sucking on defense and doesn't take possessions off? Those guys are pretty tough to find, especially outside the lottery of a draft. Most sub-lottery talent that make it in the league are players who do at least one thing really well.

@"Scott41theMavs" not sure I understand your question, sorry. 

I don't think a player has to be GREAT at defense to be a two-way guy, just not a negative. It's all relative. If you can find a player (who can be played) that is GREAT on defense, that's a player you grab, for sure.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Scott41theMavs - 09-26-2020

(09-26-2020, 05:09 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: @"Scott41theMavs" not sure I understand your question, sorry.

I don't think a player has to be GREAT at defense to be a two-way guy, just not a negative. It's all relative. If you can find a player (who can be played) that is GREAT on defense, that's a player you grab, for sure.

Most guys who are not a negative on defense in their rookie year are so good at it as to be all-NBA defensive candidates by their fifth year or so. Adjusting to NBA defense is hard. Just ask THJ.

P.S. - Is it too despicable a goal to want to be to THJ's defense what TMOGE was to "Of course it's everyone's fault but Dirk?"

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - dirkfansince1998 - 09-26-2020

@the Bey fans.

So what´s the plan with #18. I think Saddiq Bey is a trade up scenario. Seems like his draft stock is rising and he is more likely to go in the 10-15 range.
Tyler Bey is projected as a late 1st but probably won´t be available at #31. Leaving the Mavs with two options. Trade down or hope that another team is willing to sell a late 1st (Cuban willing to buy one).

I like both players fit in Dallas but it feels like the Mavs are in perfect position to barely miss out on both.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Mapka - 09-26-2020

(09-26-2020, 04:34 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 04:16 PM)JamesConway Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 04:05 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 03:55 PM)JamesConway Wrote: This kid might be Seth Curry on steroids one day. Really intrigueing player Imo

Seems like a really special shooter.....

....but why are we wanting to add more offense and another defensive negative to what the Mavs have? How does this get the Mavs closer to beating the best in the league?
'Cause big picture. If he really is Seth Curry on steroids then you just turn the original version into a wing on the trade market. I'm saying: you can always move pieces around later on.

But realistically, none of the kids we'll select will make the difference for us next year. So I remain a bpa-guy. Drafting for fit makes sense when you're really, really close (which we aren't).

That's the thing. I'm all for having young guys on rookie deals who can eventually contribute, but the Mavs have greater needs. My take is, you want as close to plug and play as you can get. This year's Herro would be great. If the Mavs don't believe that the guy they would get at #18 would crack the top 8 rotation in year one, then there's no way I keep that pick, because you can't afford to. Too many holes in this roster. Paradoxically, it looks like my biggest divergence from you is in terms of where we are. I believe that both of these are true: 1) we *are* really close, and 2) we have a lot of holes. Confusing? Cherchez le Luka.

I'm nearly there with you - I just don't see A LOT of holes.
Where in the rotation do you see the holes? And what shape do they have.
To me it's: 

Luka-THJ-DFS-KP-starterbutnotcentersizedHole

Brunson-Seth-Crowdersized Hole-Maxi-Powell

Burke/BurkesizedHole-Hole-Hole-Hole/WCS-Boban

We have 18#, 31#, the MLE, and Wright/JJax/Lee to fill these holes.

I'd love Crowder for the MLE as the Startersized hole. SBey as the crowdersized part and TBey/Bane in the Draft.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Kammrath - 09-26-2020

(09-26-2020, 07:40 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: @the Bey fans.

So what´s the plan with #18. I think Saddiq Bey is a trade up scenario. Seems like his draft stock is rising and he is more likely to go in the 10-15 range.
Tyler Bey is projected as a late 1st but probably won´t be available at #31. Leaving the Mavs with two options. Trade down or hope that another team is willing to sell a late 1st (Cuban willing to buy one).

I like both players fit in Dallas but it feels like the Mavs are in perfect position to barely miss out on both.

I would hope you could grab TBey at 26 if you can purchase the pick from the C's. But I with the parity of this draft, if the Mavs scouts like TBey as much as I do I could see grabbing him at 18 if none of the other players you like slip to that spot. 

So summary plan if I was the GM:

1) If Vassell or Haliburton slip to #10 I try to trade up with PHX to grab them.

2) If SBey is there at #18 I take him or possibly Aaron Nesmith, if not I consider TBey at #18.

3) If you grab a guy you like at #18 or #10 and TBey is available at #26 I try to buy that pick from the Cs.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - khaled1987 - 09-26-2020

(09-26-2020, 03:55 PM)JamesConway Wrote: https://twitter.com/beyond_am/status/1309893843865792514?s=20

This kid might be Seth Curry on steroids one day. Really intrigueing player Imo, I think he'd be phenomenal off the bench here with KP here & there. Such a great shooter.

Downside: he also could be the next John Jenkins.

He looks like he put a ton of work into his body although I question his handle/passing abilities a bit for an offense-first guard like him.

He is actually my favorite for 18 now. 
If he keeps his shooting touch with that body, I think he can be very very valuable player for us

Edit: Regarding  Tyler Bey, my ,very uneducated, opinion about him is that his profile resembles Wesley Johnson coming out of college
Which is very scary stuff to me

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Mavs2019 - 09-26-2020

(09-26-2020, 07:40 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: @the Bey fans.

Pretty much. On the other hand we are also in the exact spots, where the dropping guys from the respective tiers will land.

We might just be forced to take the "leftovers" with two possible outcomes:

1. Of course he fell, he sucks.
2. I can´t believe he fell, he should have been a top 5 pick.

The make or break guy in this draft is AP, cause he´ll become either KP or PP (and that´s not Paul Pierce).

(09-26-2020, 08:13 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I would hope you could grab TBey at 26 if you can purchase the pick from the C's. But I with the parity of this draft, if the Mavs scouts like TBey as much as I do I could see grabbing him at 18 if none of the other players you like slip to that spot. 

1) If Vassell or Haliburton slip to #10 I try to trade up with PHX to grab them.

2) If SBey is there at #18 I take him or possibly Aaron Nesmith, if not I consider TBey at #18.

3) If you grab a guy you like at #18 or #10 and TBey is available at #26 I try to buy that pick from the Cs.

Wanted to share Nesmith's video as I hadn't yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am25Vj5Nm6U

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - DanSchwartzgan - 09-27-2020

(09-26-2020, 11:16 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Wanted to share Nesmith's video as I hadn't yet.

FWIW, Nesmith and Cole Anthony are both Excel guys (Schwartz).

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - ItsGoTime - 09-27-2020

(09-26-2020, 11:16 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 08:13 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I would hope you could grab TBey at 26 if you can purchase the pick from the C's. But I with the parity of this draft, if the Mavs scouts like TBey as much as I do I could see grabbing him at 18 if none of the other players you like slip to that spot. 

Wanted to share Nesmith's video as I hadn't yet.

That video made me think he was more Buddy Heild than Danny Green.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Kammrath - 09-27-2020

(09-27-2020, 05:44 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: That video made me think he was more Buddy Heild than Danny Green.

Yeah I am not super high on him, but his size and 3PT shooting is something you probably cannot pass up if he is there at 18.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 (Combine: Sep 28 - Oct 16) | Mavs get #18 & #31 - ItsGoTime - 09-27-2020

(09-27-2020, 07:22 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 05:44 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: That video made me think he was more Buddy Heild than Danny Green.

Yeah I am not super high on him, but his size and 3PT shooting is something you probably cannot pass up if he is there at 18.
Ya, Heild at 18 would be pretty great. With offense being king though, that seems like a stretch.

For those wanting Harrell, I give you, Isaiah Stewart:

Good use of the #31 pick. Don't need to worry about DP coming back without being absolutely healthy and ready to play the best he can post-injury. If we know WCS is opting in, this might be too many big. However, it does give us the ability to trade one of our bigs and bring this guy along for a bit. His body is for sure NBA ready!