MavsBoard
DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] (/showthread.php?tid=200)

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 | Mavs get #18 & #31 - aguiar95 - 09-19-2020

(09-19-2020, 03:40 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(09-18-2020, 12:45 PM)aguiar95 Wrote: 9) S. Bey

Saddiq Bey is a 21 year old, 6'8" wing mocked at #18 on the Ringer and #13 at Tankathon.
He's in that DFS spot. Too slow to defend guards and too weak to guard bigs. I'm confident having 2-3 years in the league he'll figure it out he's a modern PF. Nova's system has him handling, passing and moving the way it should. As the videos have said, fundamentally sound, doesn't block/steal, but alter a lot of shots (love his chest/angles when guys try to go past him/contact). Looking at his C&S numbers, I have no doubt he'll prosper from the Luka wide-open assists. My comp for him is H. Barnes (SAC). He could fall to #18, but again, I have a feeling teams will try and go safe in this draft after the top-10 and there's no safer bet than Bey.

HAS TO CHANGE JESEY NUMBER THOUGH (can't be wearing #41 like that, c'mon man).

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Scott41theMavs - 09-19-2020

Bey is a lot higher on most draftboards. I don't know about the comparisons to DFS, because DFS was undrafted whereas Bey ranks high on most big boards in a very deep (though not top-heavy) draft.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 | Mavs get #18 & #31 - dirkfansince1998 - 09-19-2020

(09-19-2020, 07:34 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Bey is a lot higher on most draftboards. I don't know about the comparisons to DFS, because DFS was undrafted whereas Bey ranks high on most big boards in a very deep (though not top-heavy) draft.

Don´t really see the DFS comparisation. DFS was a lanky high flyer that slowly developed a jumpshot. Bey is more of a bulky and strong wing. Also a way better shooter.
My best comparisation for him would be Jae Crowder with a more consistent jumper.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 | Mavs get #18 & #31 - aguiar95 - 09-19-2020

(09-19-2020, 07:34 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Bey is a lot higher on most draftboards. I don't know about the comparisons to DFS, because DFS was undrafted whereas Bey ranks high on most big boards in a very deep (though not top-heavy) draft.

My comp for him is H. Barnes. I just mentioned DFS as to his position/fit on the team and who he will guard.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Mapka - 09-20-2020

(09-18-2020, 08:47 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(09-18-2020, 05:31 PM)aguiar95 Wrote: I believe everyone above him would have a greater impact on our roster

Cool.

Could you talk about a few of the guys that might go in his range that you think are a better fit on the Mavs and why? I would love that to educate myself, thanks!

(09-18-2020, 12:45 PM)aguiar95 Wrote: 5) D. Vassell

So I want to take a deeper dive on the guys Aguiar likes a lot for the Mavs...

Vassell is mocked at #9 on Tankathon and #11 on the Ringer. He is a 20 yr old, 6'7" SG/SF from Florida State.

IF he were to be available at #9 with WAS picking OR #11 with SAS picking, do the Mavs have the ammo to move up from #18?

Here is a scouting video on him and his D:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbjC85s2YZ4

Does anybody else see Vassel being in danger to be the biggest "underachiever" in this draft.
He is raising the boards high above where he should be picked, because he seems to fit the 3&D wing mold everyone is looking for. 
I can see him be very good if he is set between a competent PG and a playmaking SF. But otherwise he will be asked to do to much and might crumble. 
Especially if he is drafted at the 8th spot xD.

By the way just 3&D seems really overrated to me in a wing. Without another offensive skill this seems pretty uninspireing.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 | Mavs get #18 & #31 - omahen - 09-20-2020

(09-20-2020, 10:10 AM)Mapka Wrote: Does anybody else see Vassel being in danger to be the biggest "underachiever" in this draft.

I think that might happen to all four glorified 3-D potentials: Vassell, Williams, Nesmith and Bey.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 | Mavs get #18 & #31 - aguiar95 - 09-20-2020

(09-20-2020, 10:10 AM)Mapka Wrote: Does anybody else see Vassel being in danger to be the biggest "underachiever" in this draft.
He is raising the boards high above where he should be picked, because he seems to fit the 3&D wing mold everyone is looking for. 
I can see him be very good if he is set between a competent PG and a playmaking SF. But otherwise he will be asked to do to much and might crumble. 

By the way just 3&D seems really overrated to me in a wing. Without another offensive skill this seems pretty uninspireing.

Teams drafting him have to know he has a low ceiling. He'll never be a 2nd/3rd option. But if you already have a 1st/2nd option, he'll be a hell of a good complimentary piece.

(09-20-2020, 10:46 AM)omahen Wrote:

I think that might happen to all four glorified 3-D potentials: Vassell, Williams, Nesmith and Bey.

Agree on Williams/Nesmith, disagree on Bey/Vassell.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Kammrath - 09-20-2020

(09-20-2020, 11:09 AM)aguiar95 Wrote: Teams drafting him have to know he has a low ceiling. He'll never be a 2nd/3rd option. But if you already have a 1st/2nd option, he'll be a hell of a good complimentary piece.

Yeah based on team needs someone like Vassell really has no business going top 10 and maybe not even lottery. He really isn't worth much to a rebuilding team at all. 

But to a team like DAL with stars in place? Someone like him on a rookie contract could be priceless for championship aspirations. 

It is crazy how different value can be for a player from franchise to franchise.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Mapka - 09-20-2020

(09-20-2020, 11:09 AM)aguiar95 Wrote:

Teams drafting him have to know he has a low ceiling. He'll never be a 2nd/3rd option. But if you already have a 1st/2nd option, he'll be a hell of a good complimentary piece.

(09-20-2020, 10:46 AM)omahen Wrote:

Agree on Williams/Nesmith, disagree on Bey/Vassell.

Reading the fansides you normally get a good feeling how a draft unfolds.
And  right now I see a dynamic that Vassel will not be picked for his good fit, or for being bpa but for having the highest "value". To me he seems to be to dependend on playmaking around him to surge in this situation.

Williams is a ? with potential.
I think Nesmith will stick for his shooting. And what I heard about Bey, he is more of an all-around-player who shouldn't have problems to find a way to contribute.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 | Mavs get #18 & #31 - dirkfansince1998 - 09-20-2020

I think most of the time it is not worth it to go for role player skill sets in the lottery. Looking at recent drafts the chances to land a good 3&D player are not depending on the draft position. All about scouting. Every single year we have a few late 1st or 2nd round sleepers. Even some undrafted ones.
Also think that most of them need time to reach their potential. The Bridges brothers, Okogie or DiVincenzo all had mediocre rookie seasons but looked a lot better this year.
Just look at the top 3&D wings from last years class. Culver, Hunter and Reddish really struggled in their 1st season. Meanwhile the Suns and Heat nailed their picks. Cam Johnson and Tyler Herro looked like high impact starters in the bubble games.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 | Mavs get #18 & #31 - khaled1987 - 09-20-2020

(09-20-2020, 10:10 AM)Mapka Wrote:
(09-18-2020, 08:47 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(09-18-2020, 05:31 PM)aguiar95 Wrote: I believe everyone above him would have a greater impact on our roster

Cool.

Could you talk about a few of the guys that might go in his range that you think are a better fit on the Mavs and why? I would love that to educate myself, thanks!

(09-18-2020, 12:45 PM)aguiar95 Wrote: 5) D. Vassell

So I want to take a deeper dive on the guys Aguiar likes a lot for the Mavs...

Vassell is mocked at #9 on Tankathon and #11 on the Ringer. He is a 20 yr old, 6'7" SG/SF from Florida State.

IF he were to be available at #9 with WAS picking OR #11 with SAS picking, do the Mavs have the ammo to move up from #18?

Here is a scouting video on him and his D:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbjC85s2YZ4

Does anybody else see Vassel being in danger to be the biggest "underachiever" in this draft.

I see him as someone like Mikal Bridges, Suns had Booker, already drafted Ayton, so someone like Bridges was a good pick at 10

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 | Mavs get #18 & #31 - burekemde - 09-21-2020

(09-19-2020, 08:47 PM)aguiar95 Wrote:

My comp for him is H. Barnes. I just mentioned DFS as to his position/fit on the team and who he will guard.

I believe he is closer on the side to Kawhi, rather than H. Barnes. He is way more powerful than Barnes. He gets many assists for his position, and has excellent passing and vision for his size. Barnes is pure tunnel vision. Bey can pass out of trouble. He can even pass even with option to score, which Barnes would never do. Bey's skill, that is rare is he can make the mid range jumpers. This is a quality player. This skill is always useful to turn the games around, like we saw Kawhi, you cant scheme for this regardless what you do, especially against a player that can pass out of trouble. He is very hard to block (S. Bey) in his mid range game.

Comparison to Kawhi are less on defense. He is a great defender Bey, but not exceptional as Kawhi. How he develops here is unknown, but he has the tools and size.

He might become a better 3 point shooter than Kawhi.

He also has the fundamentals and few college and young players have this. This is very important. I think he may very well be the safest pick in the draft. I think he would start at SF day one if we got him, and never look back. He would make a serious impact the first season.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 | Mavs get #18 & #31 - ClutchDirk - 09-21-2020

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2909528-2020-nba-draft-buying-or-selling-latest-rumors

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Kammrath - 09-21-2020

Quote:"Bontemps also says league insiders expect Phoenix to shop its pick at No. 10. I'm buying as well. After going 8-0 in the bubble, the Suns figure to feel confident about their chances of moving up next season's standings, and chances are, the No. 10 pick won't help them."

This is possibly the Mavs chance to get Vassell or someone else who slips.

I wonder who on the Mavs roster would be intriguing to PHX and their needs?

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 | Mavs get #18 & #31 - omahen - 09-21-2020

(09-21-2020, 12:16 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I wonder who on the Mavs roster would be intriguing to PHX and their needs?

How about Maxi+Curry+#18 for Oubre and #10? Two solid rotation pieces on long term cost control contracts and a pick for them. Potentially two starters for us. They don't really need Oubre with Cam and Mikal progress.

(09-21-2020, 12:24 PM)omahen Wrote: Maxi+Curry+#18 for Oubre and #10?

Ugh, that's a heavy cost for the Mavs and hurts me....but that probably means it is not too far off from viable.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Scott41theMavs - 09-21-2020

(09-21-2020, 04:59 AM)burekemde Wrote:
(09-19-2020, 08:47 PM)aguiar95 Wrote:
(09-19-2020, 07:34 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Bey is a lot higher on most draftboards. I don't know about the comparisons to DFS, because DFS was undrafted whereas Bey ranks high on most big boards in a very deep (though not top-heavy) draft.

I believe he is closer on the side to Kawhi, rather than H. Barnes. He is way more powerful than Barnes. He gets many assists for his position, and has excellent passing and vision for his size. Barnes is pure tunnel vision. Bey can pass out of trouble. He can even pass even with option to score, which Barnes would never do. Bey's skill, that is rare is he can make the mid range jumpers. This is a quality player. This skill is always useful to turn the games around, like we saw Kawhi, you cant scheme for this regardless what you do, especially against a player that can pass out of trouble. He is very hard to block (S. Bey) in his mid range game.

Comparison to Kawhi are less on defense. He is a great defender Bey, but not exceptional as Kawhi. How he develops here is unknown, but he has the tools and size.

He might become a better 3 point shooter than Kawhi.

He also has the fundamentals and few college and young players have this. This is very important. I think he may very well be the safest pick in the draft. I think he would start at SF day one if we got him, and never look back. He would make a serious impact the first season.

I would want him at the four, personally.

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Scott41theMavs - 09-21-2020

Another player I like is Jalen Smith, but I heard something that he's shooting up a lot of team's draft boards and is likely to go lottery. 

https://youtu.be/Zn3n0OzRiSg

RE: DRAFT: Nov 18 | Mavs get #18 & #31 - KillerLeft - 09-21-2020

(09-21-2020, 06:41 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Another player I like is Jalen Smith, but I heard something that he's shooting up a lot of team's draft boards and is likely to go lottery. 

https://youtu.be/Zn3n0OzRiSg

Wow, seems like he runs the floor pretty well, uses both hands to block shots and can shoot. 

Where is he going to go?

(09-21-2020, 09:08 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Where is he going to go?

The Ringer mockdraft has him going #13 to NOP.