MavsBoard
DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey] (/showthread.php?tid=200)

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - burekemde - 09-04-2020

If we move up, I hope it is for Haliburton, this would be all worth it, even if comes with a big price. He may be the best player in this draft when all said and done (just my opinion). Luka and Haliburton would make unstoppable guards for this team, and I think it would even elevate Lukas game that someone with his complete skills plays next to him, and able to make plays is there at the guard position. It would be much harder to guard Luka. Currently, whenever Luka releases the ball, we expect a shot from the 3 pt. Haliburton however can get inside, outside, shoot, create and pass it back to Luka. He is in many ways a  Reggie Miller like prospect. In other words we could expect to see plays develop where it goes from Luka to Haliburton and back again, or the other way around, which would make this much more unpredictable. In addition, we saw in last games that doubling Luka can be effective sometimes. Not because Luka does not release the ball correctly, he does. But mainly as we do not have enough playmakers, but just pure shooters around Luka to take advantage of that. 

Elite shooter and playmaker (Haliburton). Just has that natural feel for the game in all areas really. With Luka, KP and Haliburton I feel we would have 3 pieces in place for the dynasty. Need to work out the other two positions. Get Giannis at PF. Trade up for Haliburton. For the SF, keep DFS and work out with time who is the long term answer for this fifth and final position. This should be a great defender, and outside shooter, preferably also someone with a mid range game as well.

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Kammrath - 09-04-2020

https://www.sfchronicle.com/warriors/article/Warriors-might-tab-once-unheralded-Tyrese-15541599.php

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - burekemde - 09-04-2020

(09-04-2020, 04:58 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://www.sfchronicle.com/warriors/article/Warriors-might-tab-once-unheralded-Tyrese-15541599.php

Would be smart move. Hope this does not happen. We would need trade up significantly. 

Another thing that strikes out to me is he is so great off the ball as well. He would be the perfect complement to Luka. He can stand outside and catch and shoot the 3, or make plays all over the place. Even has the mid range shot we completely lack. He even has a lot of that luka feel for the game with ball in his hands, his passes are truly amazing. He makes those long passes across the court with Luka like precision. 

I can envision Luka getting doubled next season and passing it to Haliburton. The opposing teams would quickly stop with this. I can also see Haliburton starting the plays and getting doubled and passing it to open Luka. This would really really really open things up, if Luka started receiving the ball in positions and timing without defenders on him. This would be the time where opposing teams start to panic and would not have any answer. So far, right now, its Luka and some shooters around him. Adding another super talent next to Luka that on his own needs a ton of attention, this is when we really start to destroy other teams. Id suggest throw everything in to get this guy. My hope is he will go around 10 and we can trade up to get here.

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - DanSchwartzgan - 09-04-2020

I've seen Haliburton mocked at around 10th.  That would be my guy if it were possible to move up enough.  No way you get to #2 though.  Heck, getting to 10th is probably a pipe dream.

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Scott41theMavs - 09-04-2020

I know even less about these prospects than usual due to the Covid crisis, but I'm paying attention to what you all are saying. It seems to me that one way or another, our 18th pick represents our single best way to improve this offseason - either as the most significant component in a trade for a vet who is our biggest offseason get, by trading up, or by absolutely nailing the pick at 18. I think the second option there is likely the best, especially for longevity and future flexibility, but it's chancy - the pooch is screwed if you flub the pick. I'm pretty certain that the Mavs won't have a draft pick from this class at 18 or higher - they'll use their pick for a trade - but I wouldn't be surprised if they bought a pick in the 20s and scouted well enough to get a lower-end rotation guy out of it.

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Derek Nowitzki - 09-05-2020

I’m starting to get a little bit nervous; the guys I like look like they might be starting to get out of the Mavs range...

I’d be delighted if we could somehow end up with any of:

1: Cole Anthony
2: Saddiq Bey
3: Tyrese Maxey
4: Josh Green

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - FunkBoreland - 09-05-2020

Without a March Madness to evaluate clutch moments for clutch players, this draft might surprise a lot of teams on who was really worth picking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIA7S_gHHAg

Shades of Roddy Beaubois, but at 6'7.

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - SleepingHero - 09-06-2020

Patrick Williams is still my number 1, 2, and 3. Came from the same defensive teachings at FSU that Jonathan Issac learned from and he is quite athletic. 

I've seen him mocked around 15 so I hope he only falls to 18.

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Mavs2019 - 09-06-2020

(09-06-2020, 02:30 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Patrick Williams is still my number 1, 2, and 3. Came from the same defensive teachings at FSU that Jonathan Issac learned from and he is quite athletic. 

I've seen him mocked around 15 so I hope he only falls to 18.
He was the main player I had in mind, when trading up from 18 to 14. Though it is unlikely, he´ll be there at #14. No chance, he´ll be there at #18 imho. His player profile will see him rise rather than fall.

Tyler Bey is probably the player that makes the most sense for the Mavs. He fits their profile. 22 year old college veteran. Plays a position of need (SF/PF) with a skillset of need (defense/rim-rolling) and then you basically hope he can learn how to shoot. He´ll never have to be a shot creator. 

Though Bey seems a reach at 18 and probably won´t be there at 31 (based on all the projections). That´s why I´d like to get another pick in the #24-28 range.

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - DanSchwartzgan - 09-06-2020

Speaking of a "better version of Trey Burke", I'm noticing Cole Anthony sliding in mock drafts.  This guy, Greg Anthony's son, was a HS and AAU stud (MVP in all the HS all-star games).  He was amazing his first five games at NC (easy top five pick).  The profile below does a really nice job.  NC had zero spacing (not an issue in Dallas) and Anthony tried to do too much.  His efficiency stats are awful.  The question is whether the truth is what he did the rest of the season at NC or what he was as the best PG in his HS class?

https://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2020/7/20/21305792/2020-nba-draft-cole-anthony-scouting-report

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - KillerLeft - 09-06-2020

(09-06-2020, 08:04 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Speaking of a "better version of Trey Burke", I'm noticing Cole Anthony sliding in mock drafts.  This guy, Greg Anthony's son, was a HS and AAU stud (MVP in all the HS all-star games).  He was amazing his first five games at NC (easy top five pick).  The profile below does a really nice job.  NC had zero spacing (not an issue in Dallas) and Anthony tried to do too much.  His efficiency stats are awful.  The question is whether the truth is what he did the rest of the season at NC or what he was as the best PG in his HS class?

https://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2020/7/20/21305792/2020-nba-draft-cole-anthony-scouting-report

I like him.

It will be interesting to see how they handle this draft. Part of me expects them to go for a good, young player, and part of me fully expects them to shift into "acquire veterans" mode since they're so ahead of schedule.

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - dirkfansince1998 - 09-06-2020

Because I haven´t mentioned him for nearly 2 weeks.  Udoka Azubuike would be a steal in the 2nd round. Deandre Jordans size and strength combined with Capelas mobility. Obviously just as raw as both mentioned guys on offense but his level of athleticism in a 7ft/270 body is hard to pass up.
I´d argue that he was the best college player of the season. Big 12 player of the year, NABC DPOY, NCAA all time leading FG%.

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - KillerLeft - 09-06-2020

(09-06-2020, 09:24 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Because I haven´t mentioned him for nearly 2 weeks.  Udoka Azubuike would be a steal in the 2nd round. Deandre Jordans size and strength combined with Capelas mobility. Obviously just as raw as both mentioned guys on offense but his level of athleticism in a 7ft/270 body is hard to pass up.
I´d argue that he was the best college player of the season. Big 12 player of the year, NABC DPOY, NCAA all time leading FG%.

I'm unfamiliar. Sounds good, though. How raw are talking, here? Can't draft and stash Americans, really, so...worth a two-way contract raw, or flame out in the G league and never suits up for the Mavs raw?

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - dirkfansince1998 - 09-06-2020

(09-06-2020, 09:29 AM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(09-06-2020, 09:24 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Because I haven´t mentioned him for nearly 2 weeks.  Udoka Azubuike would be a steal in the 2nd round. Deandre Jordans size and strength combined with Capelas mobility. Obviously just as raw as both mentioned guys on offense but his level of athleticism in a 7ft/270 body is hard to pass up.

I'm unfamiliar. Sounds good, though. How raw are talking, here? Can't draft and stash Americans, really, so...worth a two-way contract raw, or flame out in the G league and never suits up for the Mavs raw?

Cannot shoot at all. 44% from the FT line. Two-way contract would make a lot of sense. I think he would have been a top 10 pick 10 years ago but in the modern NBA a non shooting big is not going in the 1st round.

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Scott41theMavs - 09-06-2020

(09-06-2020, 09:00 AM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(09-06-2020, 08:04 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Speaking of a "better version of Trey Burke", I'm noticing Cole Anthony sliding in mock drafts. This guy, Greg Anthony's son, was a HS and AAU stud (MVP in all the HS all-star games). He was amazing his first five games at NC (easy top five pick). The profile below does a really nice job. NC had zero spacing (not an issue in Dallas) and Anthony tried to do too much. His efficiency stats are awful. The question is whether the truth is what he did the rest of the season at NC or what he was as the best PG in his HS class?

I like him.

It will be interesting to see how they handle this draft. Part of me expects them to go for a good, young player, and part of me fully expects them to shift into "acquire veterans" mode since they're so ahead of schedule.

I really want the Mavs to use their pick - even better if they do an anti-2013 and move up - but we're a team with no cap room that desperately needs two starters, and by far our best trade asset is that pick. Unless the MBT has a guy whom they believe will be on the board when they draft whom they are also convinced can start with impact from day one, that pick is so gone it's not even funny.

(09-06-2020, 10:25 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I really want the Mavs to use their pick - even better if they do an anti-2013 and move up - but we're a team with no cap room that desperately needs two starters, and by far our best trade asset is that pick. Unless the MBT has a guy whom they believe will be on the board when they draft whom they are also convinced can start with impact from day one, that pick is so gone it's not even funny.

I think you're right about this one. 

Side note: I'm going Mavs crazy right now. I think it's because the shutdown felt like an off season, so my yearly sports clock is off. I wish this would all get started right away. Feels like the season just started, and now it's gone.

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - Derek Nowitzki - 09-06-2020

(09-06-2020, 08:04 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Speaking of a "better version of Trey Burke", I'm noticing Cole Anthony sliding in mock drafts.  This guy, Greg Anthony's son, was a HS and AAU stud (MVP in all the HS all-star games).  He was amazing his first five games at NC (easy top five pick).  The profile below does a really nice job.  NC had zero spacing (not an issue in Dallas) and Anthony tried to do too much.  His efficiency stats are awful.  The question is whether the truth is what he did the rest of the season at NC or what he was as the best PG in his HS class?

He has the same ‘smoothness’ that I thought Donovan Mitchell had coming out. Stats don’t look great, but the eyeball test says that he could be something special... a certain feel for the game that can’t be learnt.

My worry is I don’t know how well he’d do on this roster, but I guess you worry about that later. Worst case scenario you have a juicy, juicy trade chip to turn into something more fitting later.

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - omahen - 09-06-2020

(09-06-2020, 11:31 AM)Derek Nowitzki Wrote: Worst case scenario you have a juicy, juicy trade chip to turn into something more fitting later.

Nope. Worst case is he doesn't fit on the roster, doesn't get minutes and turns into Justin Jackson like value

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - burekemde - 09-06-2020

I like him. He can really finish through contact. There are not many that can do this, and usually its a sign of a pick that will work in the NBA.

Haliburton has better bbIQ, playmaking, passing, shooting, feel for game. He does not have the physicality and finishing through contact as Cole, which does make him more risky in some ways, despite his upside much better.

I think Cole will be a valuable NBA player. How far he goes is determined by how his shooting develops. He can be anything from a good bench player to a potential all-star if his shooting becomes great. But due to his physicality in getting to the rim I think at minimum he is a good bench player, and that cant be said about everyone.

RE: DRAFT: Oct 16 date to be pushed back? | Mavs get #18 & #31 - SkenfromLMF - 09-06-2020

I am going to go out on a limb and say the mavs cannot trade the pick, and setting up a deal for the rights to #18 before the draft is a very difficult proposition.

They might be able to shuffle picks but I think they will be keeping or stashing the players picked.