Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 4.5 pt RAPTOR & 10.5 pt Vegas favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
85.71%
6 85.71%
Pelicans
14.29%
1 14.29%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 70: NOP (31-39) @ DAL (41-29) | 125-107 win
This is the rotation I've been begging for.  KP and Maxi sharing the PF.  Always one of Powell/WCS on the floor.  I wasn't expecting JRich to be a sub for the first time this season, but if there is a way to get enough D in a lineup with Luka/KP/THJ, sign me up.  Here's a look at the five man groupings below that we ran in the first half:

Powell/KP/DFS/THJ/Luka
WCS/KP/DFS/THJ/Brunson          (WCS/Brunson in for Powell/Luka)
WCS/Maxi/JRich/THJ/Brunson     (Maxi/JRich in for KP/DFS)
Powell/Maxi/JRich/Luka/Brunson  (Powell/Luka in for WCS/THJ)

End of Q1

Second quarter we saw WCS come in for Powell and moments later Burke came in for Brunson (this allows Brunson to come back for Luka when KP reenters).  Then Powell came back when WCS got his 3rd foul.  Then Brunson replaced Burke and we were JB and the four starters and then JB went out and we were back to the four starters the rest of the half.  

Who knows if we will ever see this again or if it will work against good teams.  But, I think it makes sense, though I would have probably preferred Green taking those Burke minutes.
Like Reply
A couple of my thoughts on the rotation. Not really a fan of a super offensive starting unit, as questionable defense can get the opponent going early. Also, it seemed like there are not enough shots to go around with Luka, KP and THJ together.
Like Reply
(05-12-2021, 09:30 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: These no stress games are nice.

Let's win two more!
Like Reply
Portland looks like they'll win in Utah, for they're 5th straight, so they're keeping pace, although they go to Phoenix tomorrow for a tough back to back.
Like Reply
The Pels shot nearly twice as many free throws with that lineup full of no names and third string types. Where’s the respect?
Like Reply
(05-12-2021, 11:43 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: The Pels shot nearly twice as many free throws with that lineup full of no names and third string types. Where’s the respect

Respect is earned, not given.   Big Grin
Like Reply
(05-12-2021, 10:34 PM)omahen Wrote: A couple of my thoughts on the rotation. Not really a fan of a super offensive starting unit, as questionable defense can get the opponent going early. Also, it seemed like there are not enough shots to go around with Luka, KP and THJ together.

We've seen 14 minutes of that starting five playing together in any capacity all season.  It was tonight against scrubs.  They were +6 and the O/D ratings are 130/113.8.  We've run so little KP with either Powell or Willie that it is hard to know how it will play out defensively.

I agree defense is a concern.  I don't think KP with WCS works for any real stretch, but this rotation avoided it except for a brief moment.  It puts the pressure on Powell to deliver good Team D.  The other side of the coin is there is so much O there that maybe we'll get off to hotter starts.  There is a lot to cover with Powell rolling, Luka probing and KP/THJ/DFS on the perimeter.  It is more that that opening 6-7 minutes of each half for me though.  I like how it sets up the rest of the rotation.  

C:  Always a rim runner
PF: Always an outside shooter between KP/Maxi
SF: JRich played when Finney sat meaning one was on the court at all times
Scorers:  Basically two of Luka/THJ/Brunson on the court at all times except the brief Burke cameo which sets up the finish to the half.  

It doesn't have to be Burke.  It can be Green or more minutes from JRich.  

Like I said, I have no idea if it will last (and Carlisle said lineups are transitory).  This is the fourth time Powell and KP have started together.  It worked well last season and in four games this season KP has had 19 points in 3 of those games on 49% from the field and 43% from three.  In two of those games he only played 20-22 minutes because we didn't need more from him.
Like Reply
(05-13-2021, 06:01 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: We've seen 14 minutes of that starting five playing together in any capacity all season.  It was tonight against scrubs.  They were +6 and the O/D ratings are 130/113.8.  We've run so little KP with either Powell or Willie that it is hard to know how it will play out defensively.

I was relating to THJ starting.
Like Reply
(05-12-2021, 11:43 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: The Pels shot nearly twice as many free throws with that lineup full of no names and third string types. Where’s the respect?
[Image: 61m-SVqe-WX4-L-AC.jpg]
Like Reply