Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 113, Nets 109
Durant's comments on his rough shooting night --

“Most of the time, it’s a mentality switch of what I need to do to be more effective and more efficient. Tonight I tried shots I shouldn’t have tried. I shot over a double-team one time in the fourth. I shot a runner going to the left. Just trying to get in the game scoring-wise, sometimes that may push me out of the game trying tough ones.”

It is worth noting that the Maverick defense was a big factor in forcing those bad shots. 
Like Reply
(05-07-2021, 10:32 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Mavs won the game because Kevin Durant shot 7 for 21.   The previous game he shot 11 for 22.   The game before that he shot 16 for 33.   The game before that he shot 16 for 24.    DFS is now a 3D stud, and I'm glad he got to showcase it on primetime in front of a national audience.

That was more KD missing shots he usually makes, than DFS defense. He missed wide open looks. DFS has dramatically improved, but he caught KD on a off night. Wasn't the case with Kyrie though.
Like Reply
(05-07-2021, 11:21 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: That was more KD missing shots he usually makes, than DFS defense. He missed wide open looks. DFS has dramatically improved, but he caught KD on a off night. Wasn't the case with Kyrie though.

KD definitely missed some shots he would normally make. 

But with respect to the poor shot selection he was referencing, the Dallas defense should be credited. Imo, anyway.
Like Reply
(05-07-2021, 06:43 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Honest question...Are we getting to the point where we have to admit that the team is better without KP and Richardson? More pick and roll heavy offense, better rebounding and defense from the bigs. Better spacing, off ball movement and defense from other wings/guards.

Not sure whether your question addresses the long term -- getting replacements for them, or the short term, when it's them or someone else currently on the team to play "their" minutes. 

For purposes of this answer, I will assume you mean the short term -- the rest of the season and the playoffs. 

I would respectfully submit that the answer to that question is no, although some of the items you describe have occurred. I don't know that they especially occurred BECAUSE KP and/or Richardson was off the floor. All of those items can on paper exist whether those guys are on the court or not, and I think there is no question that individuals and the team as a whole appear to be peaking at the right time. 

I think KP unquestionably raises the ceiling. Compared to the backups, I think J Rich does, too, although it is a closer question in his case. The guys who would be the naturals to replace his minutes have significant defensive (Brunson, Burke, THJ) or offensive (Green) limitations which will be important, depending on the circumstances. He is still capable of being a starting-level contributor in many situations. As long as Carlisle is willing to give him a hook when he is not able to be a positive factor, I don't think he lowers the floor. He has already been essentially cut out of the closing lineups. Would not be opposed to seeing his minutes reduced, but I think you need him for the stretch run and the post-season. 

It's not really possible to test this as a joint matter, since I believe there have been almost no games since the COVID/injury start where both KP and J Rich have been out, and the minutes when neither is on the floor aren't really representative lineups for the playoffs. But, individually speaking, I think that is where I come out. Does the fact that you pose the question indicate that you see it differently?
Like Reply
(05-07-2021, 12:10 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Not sure whether your question addresses the long term -- getting replacements for them, or the short term, when it's them or someone else currently on the team to play "their" minutes. 

For purposes of this answer, I will assume you mean the short term -- the rest of the season and the playoffs. 

I would respectfully submit that the answer to that question is no, although some of the items you describe have occurred. I don't know that they especially occurred BECAUSE KP and/or Richardson was off the floor. All of those items can on paper exist whether those guys are on the court or not, and I think there is no question that individuals and the team as a whole appear to be peaking at the right time. 

I think KP unquestionably raises the ceiling. Compared to the backups, I think J Rich does, too, although it is a closer question in his case. The guys who would be the naturals to replace his minutes have significant defensive (Brunson, Burke, THJ) or offensive (Green) limitations which will be important, depending on the circumstances. He is still capable of being a starting-level contributor in many situations. As long as Carlisle is willing to give him a hook when he is not able to be a positive factor, I don't think he lowers the floor. He has already been essentially cut out of the closing lineups. Would not be opposed to seeing his minutes reduced, but I think you need him for the stretch run and the post-season. 

It's not really possible to test this as a joint matter, since I believe there have been almost no games since the COVID/injury start where both KP and J Rich have been out, and the minutes when neither is on the floor aren't really representative lineups for the playoffs. But, individually speaking, I think that is where I come out. Does the fact that you pose the question indicate that you see it differently?

Just looking at the numbers it isn´t really a question anymore. Sample size of an entire season and as Kamm already mentioned both have the worst +/- numbers among regular rotation players. It is obviously a strange season and we have to account for KPs injuries and the COVID outbreak but after 60+ games the numbers are at least somewhat reliable.
I have given up on Richardson. Feels like the Delon Wright situation all over again. The Mavs need him for the last couple of games but I would be happy if RC reduces his minutes even more.
KP is obviously way more talented but I am not sure if the ceiling is actually higher with him on the floor. Yes the Mavs add another dimension on offense but the overall flow is worse and the defense tanks. Really difficult task for the coaches. They obviously want to insert him back into the lineup but they also want to keep the current rhythm and level of energy going.
Like Reply
(05-07-2021, 01:06 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Just looking at the numbers it isn´t really a question anymore. Sample size of an entire season and as Kamm already mentioned both have the worst +/- numbers among regular rotation players. It is obviously a strange season and we have to account for KPs injuries and the COVID outbreak but after 60+ games the numbers are at least somewhat reliable.
I have given up on Richardson. Feels like the Delon Wright situation all over again. The Mavs need him for the last couple of games but I would be happy if RC reduces his minutes even more.
KP is obviously way more talented but I am not sure if the ceiling is actually higher with him on the floor. Yes the Mavs add another dimension on offense but the overall flow is worse and the defense tanks. Really difficult task for the coaches. They obviously want to insert him back into the lineup but they also want to keep the current rhythm and level of energy going.
I suggest, with respect, that it isn't clear by any means, or maybe even arguable, that the Mavs would be better off in the short term by eliminating KP and J Rich. 

In any case, we'll never know, because the team isn't going to take KP and J Rich off the floor for the remainder of the season and the playoffs. They're just not. (Not saying you shouldn't have presented the issue. It's fun to ponder these hypotheticals. I think it's a realistic issue when looked at over a longer term than the remainder of this season's campaign.)
Like Reply
(05-07-2021, 01:12 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: In any case, we'll never know, because the team isn't going to take KP and J Rich off the floor for the remainder of the season and the playoffs. They're just not.

If KP and JRich don't play, this team is very limited and postseason will be short. With them playing well, that can be different. I at least want to see the outcome before giving final judgements.
Like Reply
(05-07-2021, 01:12 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I suggest, with respect, that it isn't clear by any means, or maybe even arguable, that the Mavs would be better off in the short term by eliminating KP and J Rich. 

In any case, we'll never know, because the team isn't going to take KP and J Rich off the floor for the remainder of the season and the playoffs. They're just not. (Not saying you shouldn't have presented the issue. It's fun to ponder these hypotheticals. I think it's a realistic issue when looked at over a longer term than the remainder of this season's campaign.)

I think it is also a question for the next couple of weeks. Richardson is already losing minutes. RC mentioned that KP will play regular season minutes before the playoffs but I am not sure if the version of KP that we will see can actually help the Mavs. Not in rhythm. Probably not in the best physical condition.
Like Reply
(05-07-2021, 01:24 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think it is also a question for the next couple of weeks. Richardson is already losing minutes. RC mentioned that KP will play regular season minutes before the playoffs but I am not sure if the version of KP that we will see can actually help the Mavs. Not in rhythm. Probably not in the best physical condition.

Losing minutes is not the same as being shut down. Maybe KP can help the team, maybe he can't, but he'll definitely get the chance to try, assuming he is medically fit to play. 

Are you honestly taking the position that you think the team will take both these players off the court completely over the next two weeks, let alone the playoffs? Really? I think maybe you are just having a good time baiting me, lol.
Like Reply
(05-07-2021, 09:24 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: DFS growth is also really impressive.  His shot looks so smooth right now.   Plus, he is actually creating off the dribble and getting to the rim.  This is also relatively new.  His passing while dribbling is still a little scary, but going to the rim off the dribble has been a nice little addition.
I've been noticing this myself. The important issue here is that DFS is now a player that must be guarded by the opposition. That means he'll get close outs when getting a pass in the corner. Which, in turn, opens up the possibility for attacking the rim. He doesn't have to dribble more than twice and has the opposite corner as bailout if he gets swarmed by help defenders.

This is as compared to earlier in the season when they would cheat off DFS to double Luka. If the defense has to play honest, then I don't think anyone is unbeatable by DAL. (excepting SAC, for some reason)
Like Reply
(05-07-2021, 02:04 PM)michaeltex Wrote: I've been noticing this myself. The important issue here is that DFS is now a player that must be guarded by the opposition. That means he'll get close outs when getting a pass in the corner. Which, in turn, opens up the possibility for attacking the rim. He doesn't have to dribble more than twice and has the opposite corner as bailout if he gets swarmed by help defenders

I freely admit that DFS had a rough start to this year, offensively, but on the other hand, this isn't a totally "new" development, either. My dude shot well last season, and was a big part of the success that team had. He's a great role player with the right attitude. If I'm running that team, he probably has more job security than anyone not named Luka in the entire organization.
Like Reply
(05-07-2021, 10:27 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: I thought Nash was out-coached by Carlisle. I liked the way the Mavs took advantage of Griffin, for example, as well as their defensive scheme on Durant. Agree that the most dramatic display of the coaching chess match was in the fourth. We may be in agreement on this point, not sure

Absolutely agree. Carlisle's adjustments in the 4th is what won the game (on top of some stellar play by our boys in blu..errr gold?).  It was the 3rd quarter that had me fuming, mostly because of the uninspired play from JRich. I think Dan has a point that there must be some agent influence because JRich was doing everything he could to sit on the bench but Carlisle let him play through. 

(05-07-2021, 10:27 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Agree that the Nets frustrated Luka in the second half. As far as J Rich is concerned, "useless" is a very strong term, and I wouldn't go that far. I thought he had a good first quarter, and Rick took him out when it was evident that he had stopped contributing much. 

Useless is a strong word but I'm running out of niceties to describe JRich and his play since March. It's less about the boxscore numbers and more about the ridiculous mistakes he's apart of. Reminds me of Wes Matthews at times.  He did have a solid first quarter, but was largely non-existent the rest of the game. 

I know it's unrealistic to expect RC to bench Richardson the entire game and ride the rookie, but it's frustrating watching him play.

(05-07-2021, 10:27 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Agree that rim-rolling and accurate high-volume scoring from the wing position are huge. I would go so far as to say essential for a playoff run.

Glad we're in agreement here. I hope the Mavs see it the same way and make the right moves this summer. Perhaps RC has been hiding his super secret plays where KP magically becomes a lob machine.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-07-2021, 01:49 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Losing minutes is not the same as being shut down. Maybe KP can help the team, maybe he can't, but he'll definitely get the chance to try, assuming he is medically fit to play. 

Are you honestly taking the position that you think the team will take both these players off the court completely over the next two weeks, let alone the playoffs? Really? I think maybe you are just having a good time baiting me, lol.

Don´t think they will do it. Not only because both might be able to contribute but also because the Mavs don´t want to tank their trade value even more. More about me thinking that it might be the best option.
Let me phrase it differently. Would the january version of KP help the team in a playoff series? For me the answer is an easy no. We can obviously hope that he is healthier or doesn´t need more than 1-2 games to get back into rhythm but I don´t think we will see the best version of KP in the playoffs. Question is if he is closer to my worst case scenario or somewhat close to his best level.
Like Reply
(05-07-2021, 02:36 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Don´t think they will do it. Not only because both might be able to contribute but also because the Mavs don´t want to tank their trade value even more. More about me thinking that it might be the best option.
Let me phrase it differently. Would the january version of KP help the team in a playoff series? For me the answer is an easy no. We can obviously hope that he is healthier or doesn´t need more than 1-2 games to get back into rhythm but I don´t think we will see the best version of KP in the playoffs. Question is if he is closer to my worst case scenario or somewhat close to his best level.

Agree that we may well not see the best version of KP in the playoffs. Really, around this time of year, almost everyone is carrying lingering injuries, and we likely may not see the absolute best of anybody. 

I doubt if we'll see either the very best or the very worst of KP, probably somewhere in between. Agree that if his performance is close to the worst, then he could be a detriment. If he is close to the best, he can contribute in ways that others just can't. 

Agree that his level of contribution is yet TBD. That is different from deciding today that he should never play another minute in a Mavericks uniform. I have frequently gotten frustrated with KP too, and I feel in a weird position defending him. But the playoffs aren't even here yet, and I think it is in the Mavs' own best interest to give it a chance. They can always abandon it if they have a better solution.
Like Reply
(05-07-2021, 09:10 AM)haveitall Wrote: There is a story here and that is that many of the players have improved:

DFS is a completely different player these last few games.  He is playing way better than Covington who everyone was druling over. 
Green has been playing really well, he's making better decisions.  
Powell has been amazing.  He looks bigger, he sets stronger screens, he stopped taking stupid jumpers, he is crafty near the basket.  His defense is very good.
Hardaway has been on fire. I just hope he can do this in the playoffs.

Amen.  I've said that while Boban is a prime example of a Center whose talents are a poor fit in Coach Carlisle's system a healthy Dwight Powell seems to be the quintessential Carlisle center, even more than Kristaps Porzingis.  He has the mobility, just enough offensive skill, the hustle and most importantly the bbiq to slide right into the role required. 

Too bad Kleber has had a tough injury run because his fit is also very, very good when healthy and on his game. 

Green, DFS, Hardaway as stated, big improvements and big props are due to Carlisle for the growth seen in these players.  Wink
Like Reply
(05-07-2021, 09:08 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: It felt like he underwent that epiphany DURING the game. A cool thing to witness!

Luka is also adjusting game to game with the fact that not only is he the total target of the opponents defensive schemes but he still has to decide which teammates have it going vs when he should take over.  
Its not as though this team has never needed him to be in hero ball mode.  For some stretches its the only thing that keeps them in a game. 

Down a KP and Kleber = missing a Harden in my book.  Very impressive win by the Mavs.   Exclamation
Like Reply
(05-07-2021, 09:24 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: [...] a turn around jumper off the backboard last night.   I would have never thought he would try that in the past.  What's next?  Heat check from three point range?

Which quarter/time of the game was that? I must have missed it and want to rewatch that highlight. Big Grin
Like Reply
(05-07-2021, 06:27 PM)Time Machine Dirk Wrote: Which quarter/time of the game was that? I must have missed it and want to rewatch that highlight. Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWLwRFKgIHc
Like Reply
(05-07-2021, 12:09 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: MAVS TOP NETS AT AAC

https://official.nba.com/l2m/L2MReport.h...0022000998
Like Reply