Poll: Should Dallas figure out a trade for Pacers Domantas Sabonis?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
26.92%
7 26.92%
No
73.08%
19 73.08%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Dallas trade for Domantas Sabonis? (signs 4 yr/$77M deal w/ IND)
Rainbow 
What do you guys think...

Should Dallas stick with the team or trade for Domantas Sabonis?

Apparently Sabonis is unhappy with the Pacers and his agent is pushing for a trade.

I personally think that Dallas should stick with the Team right now in order to keep on improving the chemistry.

Still I can see them trading for Sabonis as he might be able to act as the third best player on the team.

Whom would you trade him for?

I could see a swap using Tim Hardaway, although I think jr. is underrated.

He is up for as my biggest surprise for the season.
Like Reply
I am just not sure how he fits with KP and if he is any better of a fit than DP/Maxi/Boban, especially at the future pricetag.

He isn't a stretch five (though might turn into that). 

He has a great post game.

He is only 50 percentile as the pick and roll man (30 percentile the year before). DP is 95.7 and 90.3 percentile for comparison the last two years. Boban is 77.8. 

So yeah I am voting "no" until somebody convinces me otherwise.
Like Reply
The question is theory in any case, as Sabonis will have much interest and Indiana is not pushed to sell before TDL. They control his future and they are certainly looking to get more than Dallas can offer. 

I don't think Sabonis fit with this team would justify the Turner level contract he is looking for (80 mil for 4 years). With that kind of money I doubt he will remain an asset and would be difficult to move, if things don't really work well. However, we have half a year to see how our team is performing. 

At this point, I wouldn't trade Brunson+very distant first pick. This is basically our best offer. In any case, I am quite certain it would not be enough for Indy.
Like Reply
I think he would be a great fit with KP's skill set.
But it would only make sense if they decide he is better then Powell, as you would need to include Powell in the trade.
No point having Powell, Maxi, Boban and Sabonis 

It would probably need to be something like Powell and Jackson for Sabonis.

If they think Sabonis can be the third star level player that is worth the $20mil per season contract he is looking for then go for it.
Like Reply
As always, it depends on the price. We have to give something significant to get him. We don't have 1st round picks to trade (and we should never trade picks thus far) so it has to be players.
We have few young assets in Brunson/JJ. Solid U-30 rotation players in Maxi/DP. Trade fillers in DFS. May be even Wright if he doesn't show 3PT% and Sabonis is available.

I won't trade Brunson because I think he has a future as starting PG in this league, and won't trade Maxi as I see him our glue guy on defense, especially if he shoot decent from 3PT line. 
Sabonis is a guy who can get us buckets, his 3PT % is good but under very selective shooting. He is one of the best passer among big men. And I think his defense isn't that bad.
He can be -for me- a guy like Harford for Sixers. he can provide a good fit with KP (even from the bench) but a great replacement when we load manage him (which is clear we are going to do). 
I love DP rim rolling etc, but frontcourt of Maxi/DP won't win us many games when KP is resting games. Sabonis/Maxi on the other hand gives us bigger chance.

There should be also a realistic number for his next contract. 

So bottom line for me, it is all about the price, a tons of factors need to be aligned for us to get him and make him worth it.
Like Reply
Man, I don't think Sabonis is the guy.  Sabonis isn't a great defender...he's not a stretch guy, he's a good percentage from three, but he averages about .2 threes per game.

Honestly, I don't really want to just get another great player for the primary purpose of trading him for who we really want.  We went this type of route back when we traded for Antawn/Antoine back in the day, but I don't see this working the same.

I just don't think this is the side route that we want to go down.
Like Reply
(10-20-2019, 09:55 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: Man, I don't think Sabonis is the guy.  Sabonis isn't a great defender...he's not a stretch guy, he's a good percentage from three, but he averages about .2 threes per game.

Honestly, I don't really want to just get another great player for the primary purpose of trading him for who we really want.  We went this type of route back when we traded for Antawn/Antoine back in the day, but I don't see this working the same.

I just don't think this is the side route that we want to go down.

Agree. And, he's going to want his money, so that takes away from other needs.
Like Reply
Why should we want him? Pacers just proved that it doesnt make sense to pair sabonis to another big in myles turner that happens to be the closest match to porzingis in terms of strengths (shooting big who also defends the rim well)
Like Reply
He is a nice player - I put him in the Adams category where I would question the fit next to KP.  Now Turner?  Hell yeah.
Like Reply
2018-2019 opened with Doncic starting next to DSJ, Mathews, DAJ and DFS.

2019-2020 will open Doncic starting next to four new players, at least two of which didn't play a single game for the Mavs last year.

I think we need to let this team play together and re-assess what's needed over the course of the season.
Like Reply
I'm in on Sabonis. Feels like a situation that's bound to end bad for Indy now that the word is out that they don't want to pay him. I struggle to see why they do it though. Solely on a statistical basis Sabonis + Turner actually played pretty well alongside each other last season:

Their two man lineups were +3.5 points per 100 possessions over 433 minutes.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pla...neups/2019

The year before was desastrous though....so maybe that left an impression on their GM/front office. Sabonis is not an elite roll man (50th percentile) but I think he has upside in that regard and also as a shooter. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sabonis become a really good pick and pop option out to the three point line, too.

SF: Luka
PF: Porzingis
C: Sabonis

would be the most skilled NBA frontcourt by quite a margin Imo. Endless BBIQ, all three guys able to post, pass and drive some and then if Sabonis shoots more while maintaining a good percentage then you'd have elite shooting, too. It's a questionmark for sure though as same as the defensive fit. Not a no-brainer by any means unfortunately.

Still, I like the idea of picking up a talented & productive player like him. I think he still has plenty of untapped potential. Age-wise he's a great fit and also seems like a high character, high BBIQ guy.

(10-21-2019, 10:00 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: 2018-2019 opened with Doncic starting next to DSJ, Mathews, DAJ and DFS.

2019-2020 will open Doncic starting next to four new players, at least two of which didn't play a single game for the Mavs last year.

I think we need to let this team play together and re-assess what's needed over the course of the season.
Fair point, also I doubt Sabonis will get traded anytime soon. I expect this to drag out for a while.

But later in the season, somewhen after Christmas and with the TDL looming later on I wouldn't rule it out. Our team isn't a finished product by any means and we'll have to be opportunistic given the limited ressources we currently possess.
Like Reply
I said no for similar reasons to some of the others. Trading for Sabonis is changing the team dynamics when they haven't even had a chance to establish a team dynamic. I've been a proponent all along of letting this bunch simmer for a while so they can organically find their niche and relax into their role.

Feels a little like an Antoine Walker scenario. Wasn't impressed with that result, myself.
Like Reply
His advanced numbers are amazing, but it doesn't seem like he'd fix our major worries. I guess rebounding would be a bit better but it seems like we could find that for way cheaper. 
So I voted not. I want either a big body like Adams or an elite shooter. 
A rather soft nonshooter doesn't excite me
Like Reply
(10-21-2019, 01:04 PM)Jym Wrote: His advanced numbers are amazing (...)
Yes he's definetely a very impactful player. IND was usually a lot better with him on the court than without him. He definetely knows how to help his team win.

I could see SAS make a move for him. He'd be terrific there Imo with his style of play.
Like Reply
(10-21-2019, 11:53 AM)JamesConway Wrote: Fair point, also I doubt Sabonis will get traded anytime soon. I expect this to drag out for a while.

But later in the season, somewhen after Christmas and with the TDL looming later on I wouldn't rule it out. Our team isn't a finished product by any means and we'll have to be opportunistic given the limited ressources we currently possess.
https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/118...7831414784

Seems like this is going to happen sooner than later.

My biggest hurdle in any potential Sabonis trade is where he fits on the roster. Whose minutes does he take? Powell's? Maxi's? Boban's? Considering that the Pacers needs bigs, especially if they're giving up one of the most efficient ones, they're probably going to want a big in return. Is Sabonis worth giving up on Maxi and Powell? 

The answer isn't so obvious to me, and I doubt the Mavs are trigger happy for that kind of deal either. The real big I'm most interested in is Myles Turner, but I think the Pacers are more likely to move to Seattle before trading Turner now. 
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status...37601?s=21
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1186373912017473537
Like Reply
(10-21-2019, 03:11 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1186373912017473537

You guys are fast!!!
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...0729246720

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...8429099009
Like Reply
Well so much for that. I am not interested in trades right now anyway. I want to watch several of our guys try to take a superb opportunity to turn their career in Sabonis level careers....or higher.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply