Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 8.5 pt RAPTOR & 8.0 pt Vegas favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
85.71%
6 85.71%
Kings
14.29%
1 14.29%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 56: SAC (23-34) @ DAL (30-26) | 107-121 loss
Bad time for a tech Luka.
Like Reply
Luka playing hero ball. Will it be enough?
Like Reply
worst game of the year...and that is saying something.

Come out completely flat and just hoisting three pointers and miss almost all of them.  Then on defense allow the Kings whatever they wanted.

A nice run in the third but down the stretch that was true hero ball.  Yuck.  Plus a bad tech.   Luka is developing some bad habits.   He is not the reason why we are average but I wonder if we need major changes. 

This is a very poorly constructed team, but that was terrible energy and execution by the players.  

I don't want to hear about complaining about the playin game.  I want to hear how the front office will fix this mess this offseason.  I may not want to give them that chance.   Just a terrible two offseasons. What a wasted season so far.
Like Reply
Embarrassing....Everyone should be embarrassed - players, coaches, GM, Owner..
Like Reply
(04-18-2021, 08:55 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: Embarrassing....Everyone should be embarrassed - players, coaches, GM, Owner..

Everyone except Dwight Powell.
Like Reply
That was the worst half of basketball I have seen in a long long time. Second one was a bit better, but not enough. Looked like a broken army...
Like Reply
Mavs are looking done out there...the schedule doesn't get any better in terms of rest. If they are already looking tired then it will get even worse. They are a Giannis injury and a lucky finish vs. Memphis from this being a 7 game losing streak
Like Reply
(04-18-2021, 09:06 PM)cow Wrote: Everyone except Dwight Powell.

I thought this was one of Luka’s better all around games though the FTs hurt again. He was competing hard on defense.  Still can lose about 10 more pounds though. 

One can say a lot of things, but when you lose to the Knicks at home and then turn around and find yourself down 21 to a team that has not won in a while, what else is there to analyze?  

Coaches should be embarrassed and held accountable too.
Like Reply
(04-18-2021, 09:22 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I thought this was one of Luka’s better all around games though the FTs hurt again. He was competing hard on defense.  Still can lose about 10 more pounds though. 

One can say a lot of things, but when you lose to the Knicks at home and then turn around and find yourself down 21 to a team that has not won in a while, what else is there to analyze?  

Coaches should be embarrassed and held accountable too.

Dwight Powell and that unit swung the momentum.   Jalen turned it up in the second half too.  

Maybe I'm overly critical of our superstar but he kind of slammed the door shut on any chance of a comeback with that sequence that included a tech, going 1 of 2 at the charity stripe and then capping it off with that long step back three attempt.  Luka's is always going to put up numbers.  He's too damned gifted and will always have the opportunity but his defense wasn't great in the first half and if the team has an energy problem, I'm going to be looking at him and the coach to turn it around.
Like Reply
(04-18-2021, 07:24 PM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: Still no clue why Rick won't send Josh Green out there to disrupt and bring some energy. 

Either Green is that bad or Rick just does not like him. 

Most coaches will bring in their effort guys to help bring the team out of a funk. 

Rick keeps running the same shit out there.

Analysis paralysis?
Like Reply
(04-18-2021, 09:26 PM)cow Wrote: Dwight Powell and that unit swung the momentum.   Jalen turned it up in the second half too.  

Maybe I'm overly critical of our superstar but he kind of slammed the door shut on any chance of a comeback with that sequence that included a tech, going 1 of 2 at the charity stripe and then capping it off with that long step back three attempt.  Luka's is always going to put up numbers.  He's too damned gifted and will always have the opportunity but his defense wasn't great in the first half and if the team has an energy problem, I'm going to be looking at him and the coach to turn it around.

I get on Luka’s case a lot too usually for the same things but he was playing hard today. Yes the unit that got them back was with both KP and Luka taking a rest. 

The problem on offense and you could see it so glaringly today is that other than Brunson and Luka, we have a bunch of one dimensional players.  DFS played well but Sac was pretty much sitting for the pass out on every possession. KP looked lost and while Dwight gave effort, he is a liability on offense. 

The guards could do nothing with Fox. The lead was not dwindling. Everyone including KP was passing it back out to Luka and asking him to do something. At that point I cannot blame Luka for just starting to jack up some shots. Plus when he got that tech it was looking like a lost cause anyway. We were just not stopping Fox or even Davis.
Like Reply
(04-18-2021, 09:13 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Mavs are looking done out there...the schedule doesn't get any better in terms of rest. If they are already looking tired then it will get even worse. They are a Giannis injury and a lucky finish vs. Memphis from this being a 7 game losing streak
Well, if they're looking done and tired, you'd think it might occur to our top 5 coach to play more of our roster, so as to ease the load on the guys who are looking tired.  But I guess that doesn't occur to RC.
Like Reply
I keep going back to this one thing. I look at this as RC’s biggest failure. Yes maybe KP does not have the awareness or whatever legit excuses are there against it. I would have still force fed a PnR 2 man game between Luka and KP every single possession they had played this year until both of them started to adjust. Take some early losses and maybe even miss the playoffs  At least you have something to build on. Let all the other offense happen around teams trying to shut that 2 man game down. 

Instead we are left with two of our core pieces who just don’t seem to know how to play off one another. Missing the playoffs is fine. Missing the playoffs and not making any progress in that area when that should have been one of the main things the coaching staff had to get in place, is totally inexcusable.
Like Reply
The entire problem with Dallas in this game and most games and all so many will blame this on KP...but here it is.

[Image: 37-E2896-E-9-EDA-46-D6-9724-1-D1-B709-DA498.jpg]

[Image: 97-DBDB9-A-8307-41-E7-AA8-F-CBBD32-A0896-B.jpg]

[Image: 4-E9-EF0-DC-D0-EA-4-DD2-8-A2-A-5-BF1-D9097997.jpg]

[Image: B02-E1625-F762-4-C04-9855-990-CF619-BC1-F.jpg]

You dance with who brought you, win or lose.  If Luka wants Luka and the Four Tops, just interchangeable extras that Luka uses at his discretion, then you need to trade Porzingis and just get three random guys and Luka will be awesome and be on Sportscenter and he can be a better version of Mitch Richmond.

Or Luka can learn to be Hall and Oats or Simon and Garfunkel or Big and Rich or any number of other duos, and the band, and we might do soemthing.

You can say "Well Porzingis was playing like crap", well so was Luka until he got to shoot his way out of it and catch fire.

Look....if you have the talent, then you DO the right things (practice, preparation) and then the performance will eventually come.  So, you oass to your other star and stop trying to prove a point.

If we lose because KP is playing like crap, but he's just blowing it up, then your team lost....it is what it is.  But what isnt going to work is to try too make the guy a red shirt on Star Trek and a) expect him to play his best or b) be happy about it.

If we are losing and I'm KP, I'm pissed watching Luka play hero ball.
If we are winning and I'm KP, then I'm like "yay...good game..", but secretly, I'm just shaking my head, because I know at some point that's going to be our downfall...its just a matter of time, and there's a slow brew happening in my heart...
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
(04-18-2021, 09:58 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: If we are losing and I'm KP, I'm pissed watching Luka play hero ball.
If we are winning and I'm KP, then I'm like "yay...good game..", but secretly, I'm just shaking my head, because I know at some point that's going to be our downfall...its just a matter of time, and there's a slow brew happening in my heart...

Bama. I usually agree totally with you. A lot of heroball by Luka and fans using KP as the whipping boy. 

However if you saw that game today, KP looked lost. He was not playing assertively at all. The lead was not dwindling and everyone including KP were just mindlessly passing the ball without any attempt to break down Sac. Luka then finally decided to do the heroball stuff.
Like Reply
(04-18-2021, 09:50 PM)mtrot Wrote: Well, if they're looking done and tired, you'd think it might occur to our top 5 coach to play more of our roster, so as to ease the load on the guys who are looking tired.  But I guess that doesn't occur to RC.

He doesn't go deep in his bench, because he doesn't trust those guys, mainly the rookies.
Like Reply
Those were wide open shots. No breakdown needed. He missed open guys like this almost all night.
Like Reply
(04-18-2021, 10:10 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: However if you saw that game today, KP looked lost. He was not playing assertively at all. The lead was not dwindling and everyone including KP were just mindlessly passing the ball without any attempt to break down Sac. Luka then finally decided to do the heroball stuff.

I agree with you that KP had a VERY off game. Looked totally lost at times. But it says something that I think that KP wasn't even close to our worst player tonight. I'd put Richardson and Maxi before KP this game. Heck I would've put THJ too until that hustle run led by Powell knocked some sense back into him.

Richardson barely looks like an NBA player at times. Dude can't make an entry pass to save his life. Holds the ball and flings up a contested shot every time. Kleber can't hit the broadside of a barn the last 2 weeks. He's shooting 33% from the floor and a horrid 31% from 3. AND most of his shots are WIDE OPEN.

Never have I seen an NBA player miss more wide open threes than DFS and Maxi.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(04-18-2021, 09:49 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I get on Luka’s case a lot too usually for the same things but he was playing hard today. Yes the unit that got them back was with both KP and Luka taking a rest. 

The problem on offense and you could see it so glaringly today is that other than Brunson and Luka, we have a bunch of one dimensional players.  DFS played well but Sac was pretty much sitting for the pass out on every possession. KP looked lost and while Dwight gave effort, he is a liability on offense. 

The guards could do nothing with Fox. The lead was not dwindling. Everyone including KP was passing it back out to Luka and asking him to do something. At that point I cannot blame Luka for just starting to jack up some shots. Plus when he got that tech it was looking like a lost cause anyway. We were just not stopping Fox or even Davis.

The roster construction just feels broken and you are spot on with one dimensional players in the starting lineup.   I also really hate what our offense has become.  Drive to the basket (where we don't get calls) or kick for a brick (3PT).  I still have a hard time putting a ton of blame on KP.  I don't think this is who he was in New York and I don't think injuries have diminished him as severely as what his output is with the Mavs.  I do firmly believe that one or both of KP/Carlisle need to go.  This experiment isn't working and there should be ramifications.  As far as looking lost tonight, I agree but I just think it's hard to gain confidence with how he's being deployed.

The good news is that a heft portion of the KP tax will be paid this summer when that FRP convey and Timmy expires.  The bad news is we have a ton of spots to fill on this roster and only 2-3 players, depending at how you see Jalen, as starting caliber players.
Like Reply
(04-18-2021, 10:56 PM)cow Wrote: The roster construction just feels broken and you are spot on with one dimensional players in the starting lineup.   I also really hate what our offense has become.  Drive to the basket (where we don't get calls) or kick for a brick (3PT).  I still have a hard time putting a ton of blame on KP.  I don't think this is who he was in New York and I don't think injuries have diminished him as severely as what his output is with the Mavs.  I do firmly believe that one or both of KP/Carlisle need to go.  This experiment isn't working and there should be ramifications.  As far as looking lost tonight, I agree but I just think it's hard to gain confidence with how he's being deployed.

The good news is that a heft portion of the KP tax will be paid this summer when that FRP convey and Timmy expires.  The bad news is we have a ton of spots to fill on this roster and only 2-3 players, depending at how you see Jalen, as starting caliber players.

With no draft pick this year, limited draft capital to trade, limited trade assets all around, and a poor FA class coming up, the only way to kick start a rebuild is to trade KP. You should be able to get at least two starters and a project or pick for him. 

The Mavs just don't have the assets, cap room, and opportunity to build a team with a decent starting lineup and a little depth around Luka and KP. At least not for next year. I have now officially joined the sky-is-falling crowd who believe that 1) there's no freaking way the Mavs avoid the playin, and 2) there's no freaking way they survive the playin. It's going to be major egg on the franchise's face when we have the seventh seed and can't make the playoffs, and it's going to look even worse when the league uses our lottery pick to gift wrap a top pick to the Knicks. KP gotta go. Perhaps Donnie and/or Rick as well.
Like Reply