Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 114, Grizzlies 113
(04-15-2021, 02:31 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: If I had to guess without looking, I would have said we lost the rebound battle by 10.  I would have lost a bet if someone told me we actually out-rebounded them.  

Redick looks like he's getting the Burke minutes and then some.  Shooting helped.  TO's killed.  The Brunson TO was probably on Redick also.  They really seem to be looking for him.  Maybe some day he can be our Grayson Allen.
I had the same feelings.

During the game it felt like MEM was winning rebounds 2 to 1 and it seemed like they were shooting 75% from deep. So I was very surprised to look at the box score and see how evenly this game was played. Definitely an ugly win, but better than the alternative. 

It was nice to see JJR hitting 3s. I was kind of hoping he'd go in on the last possession to help space the defense. You can tell he knows how to play, he is just unfamiliar with his teammates. Still has his shooting touch. I think his final make was while moving sideways at the top of the circle. Could definitely be our Peja 2021.
Like Reply
(04-15-2021, 01:46 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: There was a bit of a scary moment when Allen fell on Brunson, apparently an old trick of his; no foul was called.
I saw that play and recalled the problems he had in college with tripping and on court tantrums. There were some incidents in summer league also. I guess that reputation still follows him?

BTW, I agreed with the no-call but felt it could have gone to Allen for leaning sideways over Brunson while elevated.
Like Reply
I'll take the W, but, man, what a lucky win.  Not Luka's shot, but that the 88% free throw shooting Grayson Allen missed not one, but TWO, free throws.  Otherwise, we lose.

Also, regarding Redick, I'm hoping that maybe he had gotten a bit out of game shape, and that his game will improve a bit if he can get some more conditioning.  But he'll have to recondition apart from actual game time, because he won't get enough of that to do any good.
Like Reply
There were technically 2 of those instances. Valanciunas had an 0-2 trip earlier in the game, and he is more than solid from the line... Those 4 FT's are definitely the difference.
Like Reply
(04-15-2021, 07:45 AM)omahen Wrote: When he was opened, he scored. Something we didn't see a lot from the rest. I think (hope) those TO will reduce and only good shooting will remain. 

I’ll go you one step further: not only is he hitting shots when he’s open, but he is able to get shots off so ridiculously fast that he redefines what “open” means. To my eye he has made an impact already, and he isn’t even playing well yet. He’s not a good defender, but he sure works his butt off on that end, and he moves the ball quickly and decisively, in my opinion. I really feel like he has way more left in his tank than people thought.

My favorite thing about Redick is the footwork. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen someone quite as good at using the jump stop from a dead sprint as a long range shooting setup. Maybe Reggie Miller.
Like Reply
(04-15-2021, 09:15 AM)omahen Wrote: I think it is very simple. With Luka and KP you basically need 3-D guys around them.
I think you could make the case that KP functions as a 3D guy most of the time. On offense, he almost always stops at the 3pt line (to see what Luka's going to do?) before moving toward the basket, as opposed to trying to establish a position closer in. Not a criticism, but just my observation.
Like Reply
(04-15-2021, 10:15 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: but he is able to get shots off so ridiculously fast that he redefines what “open” means.
Yes. I think this us the crux of my gripe about Seth Curry. Now, there aren't a lot of players that can do what JJ can, but if he can teach our coaches to be able to teach our players that ability, it'll be a HUGE improvement for the team (and the trade was amazing regardless of adding a second). 

These little tips and tricks are things that vets bring to the table to a team so young...especially at the top. It's what CP3 is making the end of his career on and the reason he can still command the money he's making.
Like Reply
(04-15-2021, 10:37 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Yes. I think this us the crux of my gripe about Seth Curry. Now, there aren't a lot of players that can do what JJ can, but if he can teach our coaches to be able to teach our players that ability, it'll be a HUGE improvement for the team (and the trade was amazing regardless of adding a second). 

These little tips and tricks are things that vets bring to the table to a team so young...especially at the top. It's what CP3 is making the end of his career on and the reason he can still command the money he's making.

I have high hopes for JJR's impact on our team and players during his time here. I hope he can get in Luka and KP's ears as well. I just hope the message to Luka isn't, "You'd be so much better playing for a different franchise."
Like Reply
(04-15-2021, 11:59 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I have high hopes for JJR's impact on our team and players during his time here. I hope he can get in Luka and KP's ears as well. I just hope the message to Luka isn't, "You'd be so much better playing for a different franchise."
He talks about having a lot of respect for Cuban, so let's hope that doesn't come true.
Like Reply
(04-15-2021, 09:15 AM)omahen Wrote: With Luka and KP you basically need 3-D guys around them. Problem with our guys for large stretch of the season is they don't have much 3.

OR D.

Mavs are 17th in D for the season and 17th in 3P%. 

In the last 15 games they are 10th in D but they are closer to 15th than 7th in that stretch. They are 16th in 3P% in the last 15 games.

Point being the Mavs really aren't successfully 3ing or Ding this season, whether in the recent stretch or overall. They need different players IMO.
Like Reply
(04-15-2021, 01:17 PM)Kammrath Wrote: They need different players IMO.
They can use these players or what's left over of them once we get the actual starters ahead of them.
Like Reply
(04-15-2021, 01:17 PM)Kammrath Wrote: OR D.

Mavs are 17th in D for the season and 17th in 3P%. 

In the last 15 games they are 10th in D but they are closer to 15th than 7th in that stretch. They are 16th in 3P% in the last 15 games.

Point being the Mavs really aren't successfully 3ing or Ding this season, whether in the recent stretch or overall. They need different players IMO.

Maybe. But there are also some much more promising stats. Mavs might be the biggest wild card/dark horse in the NBA. I could see losing in the 1st round or have a Nuggets like playoff run.

They won 16 out of 20 games with the full starting 5. Good for 80 % winning percentage. Not sure if any West team has more. Lebron and AD are out an eternity, and the Mavs just managed to tie the Lakers with 20 games with a full starting 5. Suns have 45, Jazz 40. Not trying to play the what if scenario, but it would be interesting what seed the Mavs would be without Covid, and KP being ready to start the season. Would everybody be much more optimistic if they would be the 4th seed right now?

The net rating of just the starting 5 in those 20 games also looks lowkey very good in comparison with other contenders.

Mavs 20 games

256 minutes

125.5 offensive rating

110.5 defensive rating

-----

15.0 net rating

Clippers net 16.7

Sixers net 13.7

Lakers net 13.9
Like Reply
(04-15-2021, 01:40 PM)sefant Wrote: But there are also some much more promising stats.

For sure. The Mavs numbers are not all doom and gloom.

But my basic attitude toward the Mavs (despite me being a big numbers guy) is coming from what I SEE on the court. I just do not see a team that feels particularly dangerous. 
  • I see poor chemistry between the Mavs stars and they don't seem to make each other better at all. 
  • I see a Luka who seems to be tired and physically ailing and whose big positive impact for the team has disappeared.
  • I see a KP who looks disgruntled and unhappy at times with his role on the team and whose D is much worse than last year.
  • I see role players who aren't really very good at either D or shooting 3s.
  • I see a lack of offensive creation past Luka/JB.
  • I see very inconsistent fight/energy. 
I think that YES the Mavs COULD get hot and make a little run in the playoffs but I think it is much more likely they actually lay an egg and get bumped in first round or play-in round.
Like Reply
The defense on that last play seems pretty stupid. Luka obviously is getting the ball. I don't know why Valanciunas doesn't at least fall back to stand in the way of Luka after the pass gets inbounded. 

You pretty much have to have 2 guys defending Luka or trying to disrupt what he's doing in these situations. He doesn't even have time to pass it so I don't know why you don't just throw all 3 guys at whoever gets the ball knowing they have to shoot it. Clearly that was going to be Luka. Seems like eventually teams will just sell-out completely on Luka and force a heavily contested shot.
Like Reply
(04-15-2021, 03:06 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: The defense on that last play seems pretty stupid. Luka obviously is getting the ball. I don't know why Valanciunas doesn't at least fall back to stand in the way of Luka after the pass gets inbounded. 

You pretty much have to have 2 guys defending Luka or trying to disrupt what he's doing in these situations. He doesn't even have time to pass it so I don't know why you don't just throw all 3 guys at whoever gets the ball knowing they have to shoot it. Clearly that was going to be Luka. Seems like eventually teams will just sell-out completely on Luka and force a heavily contested shot.
FWIW, he was surrounded when he got the ball and was body checked by Brooks as he took his last step, possibly even enough to call a foul under different circumstances. Val was guarding the inbound throw and couldn't turn and move fast enough to get to Luka. Luka was moving as he got the ball and knew exactly where he needed to go to have any shot at the basket.

Luck? Yep, some. Years of making that shot in practice, games and his head? Yep, but preparation counts too.
Like Reply
(04-15-2021, 03:22 PM)michaeltex Wrote: FWIW, he was surrounded when he got the ball and was body checked by Brooks as he took his last step, possibly even enough to call a foul under different circumstances. Val was guarding the inbound throw and couldn't turn and move fast enough to get to Luka. Luka was moving as he got the ball and knew exactly where he needed to go to have any shot at the basket.

Luck? Yep, some. Years of making that shot in practice, games and his head? Yep, but preparation counts too.

Ya I just kept watching it over and over again seeing guys near Luka not coming off their guy to at least step in the way. Maybe they are avoiding a foul I don't know but I thought the help on that was weak.
Like Reply
Desmond Bane shooting 45% from 3. Josh Green meanwhile is glued to the bench.
Like Reply
(04-15-2021, 06:43 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Desmond Bane shooting 45% from 3. Josh Green meanwhile is glued to the bench.

Bane is so good.  What a pick by Memphis.  Although I think it is important not to compare rookies.  Experiences and maturity are different.   I think Bane will keep on getting better, so I don't want to knock him.  But Bane really made a big jump with his shooting between his Freshman and sophomore season.    Bane has a couple of years of a lot of high quality competition basketball reps over Green.   Will Green catch up in time?  We will see.  I think Green is an at least average shooter in time.  Will he be better?   

I worry about how these rookies are being challenged in their growth day to day.  I am sure there is a plan in place, but I have not read an article about this.  Hopefully there is a fully developed plan that is being implemented  even though they are not getting playing time, they are being challenged and stretched each day.  

Bane would have been perfect in Dallas though.
Like Reply
Not excited about a Memphis / Dallas 7/8 playoff.
Like Reply
(04-15-2021, 07:03 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Not excited about a Memphis / Dallas 7/8 playoff.

Good thing you probably won't have to see it.  Big Grin
Like Reply