Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 95, Sixers 113
MAVS WIPE OUT IN SIXERS TIDAL WAVE

The KP-less Mavericks crumbled on the second night of a back-to-back under the force of Philadelphia’s potent offense and suffocating defense. A real beatdown. 

GAME FLOW

Maxi returned to action, as did WCS, and Redick made his Mavericks debut. Terry remained out for personal reasons, and KP was rested on the second night of the back-to-back. Brunson took KP’s place in the starting lineup. 

Unfortunately for the Mavs, Maxi was called for his second foul inside the first two minutes. Melli was subbed in for him. The Mavericks were resorting to the defend-by-fouling strategy, and Embiid had 8 free-throw attempts in the quarter. Redick made his long-awaited debut to a warm welcome by the fans. It was all the Mavs could do just to hang in, and they ended the quarter trailing 26-30. Luka led the Mavs with 10 in the period. 

Redick had his first made basket as a Maverick early in the second, and followed that with a pass to Timmy for a three of his own. Maxi was called for his third foul for a push off three minutes in. Boban went out with his third at 3:29, prompting Willie’s return to the court. Former Mav Seth Curry hit the rare wedgie on a 3PTA. Embiid split a double-team and scored for an and-one. Dallas had no further answer for the Sixers big man other than two fouls by Willie. The Mavericks had only one made basket in the last 6:28 (!), and the Sixers opened up a 60-48 lead at halftime. It was a choppy game, with the action being interrupted by 38 FTAs in the first twenty-four. Luka had a 20-point half, second only to Embiid with 23. 

Three minutes into the third, the Mavs were down 17, prompting a timeout. Embiid continued to be a scoring machine, and the Mavs were having trouble putting points on the board. When THJ and Redick went in, things opened up a bit for the Dallas offense, but the Sixers were still scoring at will and ultimately ran away with the game. The Mavs closed the quarter down 69-88. Your boys were 1-14 from three, and put up only 21 points in the period.

The Sixers did not play any of their starters in the fourth quarter. Even so, they rained baskets, and Luka could be seen shaking his head in frustration and disbelief. Philly’s lead was 23 at 7:09. Both teams started subbing in their deep reserves, and Dallas finished with a scoreline that looked closer than it likely would have, had the Sixers kept their foot on the gas. Yikes!

STATISTICS

The Mavs shot very poorly from the three-point line, completing only 9 of 36 attempts, while the Sixers were hitting 39% from deep. Philly also had a 33-20 advantage in FTAs. Mavs point differentials were -2 on points from twos, -9 on points from threes, and -7 in made free throws. Another important contributing factor in the Mavs loss was their 15 turnovers for a loss of 22 points.

PLAYERS

DFS. Finney-Smith put up 12 points and 11 boards in a team-high 35 minutes, and played purposeful defense without fouling, but it was hardly a drop in the bucket against the Sixers’ massive attack. Good on him for the effort. 

DONCIC.  Luka stepped up scoring-wise, as he usually does against the better teams, and recorded 32 points on 10-20 shooting. However, he was 2-7 from deep, had only 4 boards and 4 assists, and turned the ball over 4 times, some on “catastrophic” live-ball giveaways. He did get to the free-throw line for 11 attempts, and was 10-11 on those tries. The Sixers made him a defensive focus, sometimes picking him up at half court. After the game, he said he had no concerns about the team, and allowed that you can’t win ‘em all. 

BRUNSON. Jalen had a pretty decent line at 15/6/2, but 6 of those points and 3 of the rebounds came when the game was already out of reach. By and large, he was not particularly effective against the Sixers’ big lineups. 

REDICK. JJ was on a minutes restriction, and was 1-7 in 14 minutes in his first game as a Maverick. He had not played in an NBA game since March 3, and his shooting will of course have to get back up to snuff. However, I liked what I saw and think he can help the team. He is clearly not just a spot-up shooter, but rather is a professional scorer, in a position to cause damage in a variety of ways. He played energetic defense, was moving off the ball, setting screens, making good passes, and moving the ball quickly. Rick said afterward that he liked Redick’s movement on the court, defensive fight, and underrated screening. 

OTHERS. There wasn’t much to write home about in the performance of the role players. Foul trouble kept Maxi out of the game for much of the first three quarters, and he did not appear in the fourth. With KP resting and Maxi playing only 14 minutes, Dallas had little to offer in the way of resistance against Joel Embiid. He and Richardson combined for only 10 points. In terms of the bench, THJ had 9 points in 21 minutes, going 3-6 from deep, but 3-9 overall. No other reserve had more than 4, which was what Redick managed. The bench as a whole was 4-14 from the field, and combined for a total of 26 points, compared to the Sixers’ 45. The Mavs' six front-court players had only 20 points altogether, and 12 of those were from DFS. 

SIXERS.  This is a REALLY good team, definitely at the championship contender level. Embiid had 36 points in three quarters, and did pretty much whatever he wanted against the hapless Mavs. Furkan Korkmaz torched us with 20 points off the bench, and Tobias Harris and Shake Milton had 10 each. The Mavs were unable to even seriously compete. 

OBSERVATIONS

Rick noted that the dominance of Embiid was very difficult to counter. Their plan was to start small, in order to get another ball handler on the court and space the floor, but the two quick fouls on Maxi effectively wrecked that strategy. Carlisle noted that it takes young players a while to really understand what it takes to win consistently, and he thinks that Embiid and Simmons have taken the leap. He lamented the facts that KP was out and the game was a SEGABABA, but said that’s the story of the season. 

Sometimes, you just run into a better team, and I think the Mavs met that fate in this match. Without KP and effectively without Maxi, the team was essentially defenseless against Embiid, and even against Dwight Howard off the bench. There is no way to whitewash it — this was an old-fashioned butt-kickin.’ 

The Mavericks have now lost 3 of their last 4 games, and badly need to collect themselves before they face Memphis on Wednesday. 
Like Reply
In theory this Mavs team has a lot of ability to win.

But in practice, it always rides too much on Luka's individual play. And that's not just a commentary on the other players, but also on how Luka forces the Mavs' game to be about him. His personal ceiling is their ceiling, because of how he plays, and can really stunt their growth and potential as a team.
Like Reply
Honestly the Sixers are way too good to even contest if you are going to sit KP. This is basically a scheduled loss. It's hard to hold too much against the Mavs as they were not at full strength. The Spurs loss is more frustrating bc they probably had enough talent to win that one.
Like Reply
(04-13-2021, 09:18 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Honestly the Sixers are way too good to even contest if you are going to sit KP. This is basically a scheduled loss. It's hard to hold too much against the Mavs as they were not at full strength. The Spurs loss is more frustrating bc they probably had enough talent to win that one.

No doubt that KP would've made a difference on offense. 

Serious question: do you honestly think he would've been even half an answer against that monster in the paint?
Like Reply
(04-13-2021, 11:22 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: No doubt that KP would've made a difference on offense. 

Serious question: do you honestly think he would've been even half an answer against that monster in the paint?

I was pondering this during the game. 

I think KP might have made Embiid work a little harder, and he would have provided another six fouls, but Embiid might have actually come away with more points, as Philly might have played him more than 26 minutes. Seems like we still would have lost.

I have about concluded that this version of the Mavs just doesn't have much of an answer for the skilled bruisers of the league. And in the case of the Sixers, the rest of the team is so good, they could even beat many teams without Embiid. Scary.
Like Reply
(04-13-2021, 12:23 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I have about concluded that this version of the Mavs just doesn't have much of an answer for the skilled bruisers of the league.
I have been saying this for so long. Favors, with all the times he’s been available in the last few years would have been such a great solution. Alas, it sounds like he’s now exactly where he wants to be for the rest of his career.
Like Reply
Disappointed in the game, but I mostly just watch Mavericks games and pretty much all of them, and the Sixers are far and away the best opponent I’ve seen this year. They’re impressive.  I wish them well.  This is their year.
Like Reply
Only thing noteworthy that hasn’t been mentioned yet is the appearance last night of mavsluvr’s favorite thing...the ever-elusive WEDGIE!
Like Reply
(04-13-2021, 06:34 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Only thing noteworthy that hasn’t been mentioned yet is the appearance last night of mavsluvr’s favorite thing...the ever-elusive WEDGIE!

Hahaha, yes, it's actually mentioned in the second quarter description. 

A very impressive one, this. Steph just rifled that shot directly into the wedgie space -- no bouncing around or other ado to it!
Like Reply
(04-13-2021, 05:37 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: the Sixers are far and away the best opponent I’ve seen this year. They’re impressive.  I wish them well.  This is their year.

I agree. I don't know if they're the best team I've seen this season, but when Embiid plays they are certainly one of them, and clearly a couple of levels above our Mavs. 

We've got to be patient, imo.
Like Reply
(04-13-2021, 07:50 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Hahaha, yes, it's actually mentioned in the second quarter description. 

A very impressive one, this. Steph just rifled that shot directly into the wedgie space -- no bouncing around or other ado to it!

Since he's shooting at higher accuracy than Steph, do you think it was on purpose?

Did anybody listen to the ESPN broadcast? I sometimes chose it over the Mavs broadcast to get an outside perspective and love me some Jeff van Gundy. It was hilarious when he roasted Dave Pasch because he added "some context" to the fact that Seth's career percentage is higher than Steph's.
Like Reply
Also, sorry for my absence for the last couple of games in this thread (I just act as if anybody noticed or cared haha).

I just rewatched all the games since the Jazz-win and man, am I disappointed. The Houston-game was a disaster, the Spurs game to some extend also and the Sixers just flat out beat our asses.

I can live with losing to the Sixers, since we will not face them in the playoffs (hehe) but I think we need to avoid the play-in-tournament and we could be 6th right now, if we took care of business. Very disappointing indeed. I think we have the tools to upset the Clippers (which should finish third, I hope it's not going to be the Nuggets if we finish 6th). I think this is the only realistic goal going forward: Finishing 6th and have a realistic chance against the Clippers, since we improved from last year and I don't think they did.

Regarding the Sixers game:

Embiid is just too much. KP would have helped but only a little. Boban should have the size and strength to compete but as soon as he subbed in, the Sixers changed their plan and attacked him with smaller guys. Embiid chose to drive and pop, which were easy shots for him - he just missed more often than not). I think it was a great example of why Boban can't be utilized more often. If the opponent's coach is smart enough, he will attack Boban's immobility right away. When we  turned back to Powell or Maxi as Center, we lacked all rim-protection and they torched us with drives and layups.

The Sixers are just a very well and logically designed team. If Embiid can stay healthy during the playoffs, they will be dangerous for anybody.

A couple of thoughts about all the other games:

Luka: It was nice seeing him get out of his FT-shooting-slump. Obviously, most of what he does on the court is great so take all my criticism with this caveat in mind. He's greatness, but I have a few problems.

Firstly, KP played his best basketball of the season in the last 3 games (that he played). After the failure to include him against Houston, I thought the KP-Luka-experiment was done. I was glad to see, they got him more involved in the 4th in the next games. I was also of the impression, that Luka showed more emotion and appreciation towards KP and him making shots (bumping his fist etc.).

What troubles me, is that KP seems pissed. And I totally get it, tbh. Luka can find ANYONE ANYTIME on the court, if he CHOSES to. Best example is Melli, whom he seems to really like. He was celebrating all his baskets and is visibly trying to involve him as much as he can. I think we saw something similar with Redick. We know Luka can dish out any pass. He sees everything. But somehow, he can't "find" KP on a consistent basis, even when he's hot. I just don't buy that.

I have seen KP make all the right plays in the last week or so. He was making all the right plays, not forcing it, not hunting shots. He's on fire numbers-wise. He's moving really well, hustling, blocking shots and rebounding like crazy. I think he's close to being 100% and we can see why he's dubbed the unicorn. I really enjoyed the way he played.

But still, Luka can't involve him on a consistent basis somehow. I mean KP's on fire every first quarter and then can't touch the ball for 12 minutes? I don't buy that at all. It seems to me, as if Luka is "rewarding" players he likes, like Powell (the alley-oop action), Melli (celebrating every play he makes because he knows and likes him from Europe), Redick (because he seems like a great teammate with the right attitude) and finds them with the craziest passes. And he "punished" KP by only finding him when he really can't ignore him (and sometimes even that, 4-5 games back, KP was standing wide open, literally a couple of feet away from Luka with his hands ready to receive the pass and Luka instead went dribble-dribble-stepback-3).

I don't know what the reason is. We speculated if it's Luka not thinking KP deserves special recognition. Which I don't get, especially the way KP plays right now. It got better, I know, but only to some extent. Also - does he think Melli deserves special attention because he's so good? I don't think so. So it has to be something personal.

Don't get me wrong, maybe Luka's right. Maybe KP is a little bitch and a team cancer, I could totally imagine this. I mean he seems disconnected, KP is the elast involved in the huddles, high-fiving and stuff. Maybe it's his nature, Idk.

But something is SO OFF between those two and it will be our downfall at some point.
Like Reply
I said this in the SA discord chat, there may be something to KP being the quality of player to be able to score more than Luka and he wants to be the highest scorer on the team. For sure speculation. Just the feeling I get when I watch him feed others even when they’re off and hear later that he encourages them to keep shooting. Maybe a part of a whole, maybe not. If it is, I hope it is aged out of him cause I stopped paying attention to Houston once Harden became what he was there.
Like Reply
What I also forgot, sorry for the Luka-bashing:

His constant protesting HAS to stop. We have been over this on this board but either the Mavs or Luka did not get the message. I think it's obvious that the refs call fouls less and less and I strongly suspect a connection with him protesting every. damn. time.

Even as a huge fan, it annoys me. He gets fouled A LOT. It's frustrating, I get it. But he yelles and one every time. He raises his arms in disbelief every time. He talks to the ref every time. Look, it is not always a foul, ok? We can't always call it. Deal with it. Complain less and the calls will follow when deserved. Maybe you even get the superstar treatment eventually. But don't try to force us, ok? It's really simple.
Like Reply
(04-14-2021, 05:17 AM)meistermatze Wrote: Also, sorry for my absence for the last couple of games in this thread (I just act as if anybody noticed or cared haha).
We always notice and care when you don't post, meister. Hope everything is okay with you.
Like Reply
(04-14-2021, 09:42 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: We always notice and care when you don't post, meister. Hope everything is okay with you.

Too kind of you, good sir. Thank you.

No worries - my absence actually was due to a joyous event: I went on a short vacation Smile
Like Reply