Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 0.0 pt RAPTOR & 3.0 pt Vegas dogs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
63.64%
7 63.64%
Sixers
36.36%
4 36.36%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 53: PHI (37-17) @ DAL (29-24) | 95-113 loss
(04-12-2021, 10:13 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I disagree about Luka playing off the ball for stretches, as being bad. That is the correct move for his long term growth.  He has to learn to adjust.

Would make sense if the Mavs had anyone that could actually create something against elite defenders. It´s not like he can actually develop some kind of off ball game when his teammates cannot create for others. I am all for some cuts or spot up attempts. Problem is that no one can create those kind of looks.
Like Reply
(04-12-2021, 10:26 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Would make sense if the Mavs had anyone that could actually create something against elite defenders. It´s not like he can actually develop some kind of off ball game when his teammates cannot create for others. I am all for some cuts or spot up attempts. Problem is that no one can create those kind of looks.

The team is not bad. They are professional NBA players. There is no system in place. It is Luka dominating the ball and deciding. When he is off the ball what are the set plays? Also he has to cut and do the right things regardless of whether someone is passing to him or not. There will be cuts where the other player might miss him or have a better option. It is ok. That is all part of the game. 

Playing off the ball and putting a bit more on the defensive front can only improve his game and his growth as a player.
Like Reply
(04-12-2021, 10:43 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: When he is off the ball what are the set plays?

In a flow offense? Non-existent. That´s the entire point of it. Read and react from all five players on the floor. Not only the ballhandler.
Like Reply
(04-12-2021, 10:58 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: In a flow offense? Non-existent. That´s the entire point of it. Read and react from all five players on the floor. Not only the ballhandler.

Then there is no excuse for him to not cut and keep moving. Your teammate not doing the right thing should not stop you from that. 

Again to clarify, I am not talking about thie game tonight. This was just in reference to some remarks on this thread that Luka playing off the ball a bit is not good. I look at it as a very good thing. Anyway it looks like the Mavs are playing for the long run. If that’s the case it amakes sense to have Luka grow as a player.
Like Reply
(04-12-2021, 11:17 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: This was just in reference to some remarks on this thread that Luka playing off the ball a bit is not good.

I think Luka playing off the ball "a bit" is GOOD and necessary. But I think the Mavs offense needs to predominantly take advantage of Luka's ability to create open looks for others. There has been a decline in that and IMO it is hurting the team and Luka's impact.
Like Reply
(04-12-2021, 11:20 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I think Luka playing off the ball "a bit" is GOOD and necessary. But I think the Mavs offense needs to predominantly take advantage of Luka's ability to create open looks for others. There has been a decline in that and IMO it is hurting the team and Luka's impact.

My worry is that Luka was developing into a one dimensional player. Great only if the ball is in his hands. No movement if he is off the ball. Not much effort on defense. Those things need to be corrected now than when it is too late.  His growth as an all around player will only help this team even if we have to go through some pains in the short run. Trust the process.
Like Reply
(04-12-2021, 11:17 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Then there is no excuse for him to not cut and keep moving. Your teammate not doing the right thing should not stop you from that. 

Again to clarify, I am not talking about thie game tonight. This was just in reference to some remarks on this thread that Luka playing off the ball a bit is not good. I look at it as a very good thing. Anyway it looks like the Mavs are playing for the long run. If that’s the case it amakes sense to have Luka grow as a player.

It actually is because the right thing (cutting/rotating to the open spot up position) is not an option when the ballhandler cannot get past his defender. More often than not the ball ends up back in his hands anyway. Richardson or THJ try to create something. Waste most of the shot clock and Luka bails them. Gets the ball with 10s left and tries to create something.
Again. Would be a different story if his teammates could actually create something. RCs offense actually encourages multiple ballhandlers. Multiple drive and kicks for the best possible shot attempt (JJB-Devin bench units).
Last seasons cast was doing a much better job. Not only because they could shoot. Better ballhandling and passing as well (Barea, Curry, Wright). They did not rely on THJ to create of the dribble. He was a spot up only guy.

Numbers are really telling the story:
289.6 passes per game last season (15th)
270.4 passes this season (27th)

24.6 ast last season (14th), 46.3 pot ast (14th)
22.4 ast this season (28th), 42.7 pot ast (27th)

Luka pass attempts per game are down by four compared to last season. Not enough to explain the overall lack of ballmovement. There is a legit case that Luka is the only player with above average passing vision on the entire roster (maybe Melli as well, not sure about the rookies). Brunson, Burke and THJ are score first guys with questionable decision making and awareness. Richardson can make easy reads but rarely creates for others. More often than not his attempts end with a drive or a mirange pull up. Maxi, DFS and the bigs can barely but the ball on the floor.
Not saying that they are bad players. Just questioning the overall roster construction. Mavs lost more than just shooting. They lost playmaking and for lack of words offensive bball IQ and awareness.
Like Reply
(04-12-2021, 11:49 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: It actually is because the right thing (cutting/rotating to the open spot up position) is not an option when the ballhandler cannot get past his defender. More often than not the ball ends up back in his hands anyway. Richardson or THJ try to create something. Waste most of the shot clock and Luka bails them. Gets the ball with 10s left and tries to create something.
Again. Would be a different story if his teammates could actually create something. RCs offense actually encourages multiple ballhandlers. Multiple drive and kicks for the best possible shot attempt (JJB-Devin bench units).
Last seasons cast was doing a much better job. Not only because they could shoot. Better ballhandling and passing as well (Barea, Curry, Wright). They did not rely on THJ to create of the dribble. He was a spot up only guy.

Numbers are really telling the story:
289.6 passes per game last season (15th)
270.4 passes this season (27th)

24.6 ast last season (14th), 46.3 pot ast (14th)
22.4 ast this season (28th), 42.7 pot ast (27th)

Luka pass attempts per game are down by four compared to last season. Not enough to explain the overall lack of ballmovement. There is a legit case that Luka is the only player with above average passing vision on the entire roster (maybe Melli as well, not sure about the rookies). Brunson, Burke and THJ are score first guys with questionable decision making and awareness. Richardson can make easy reads but rarely creates for others. More often than not his attempts end with a drive or a mirange pull up. Maxi, DFS and the bigs can barely but the ball on the floor.
Not saying that they are bad players. Just questioning the overall roster construction. Mavs lost more than just shooting. They lost playmaking and for lack of words offensive bball IQ and awareness.

I read some article recently that the Mavs are looking for another guard next to Luka. So they realize the issue too. Plus that tells me they are on the correct path to not get Luka to fall into bad habits. Maybe they went a bit overboard this year with the 3 and D guys around Luka that they overlooked the value of a legit 2nd option ball handler. But again there are plenty of plays where Luka can cut and move too when he is off the ball.  The FO can do better. Teammmates can do better. Luka can do better too. 

The Mavs are doing the correct thing. Let us see how this team and Luka looks in a couple of years. Hopefully he is not wearing a different team uni by then.
Like Reply
(04-12-2021, 11:57 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I read some article recently that the Mavs are looking for another guard next to Luka. So they realize the issue too. Plus that tells me they are on the correct path to not get Luka to fall into bad habits. Maybe they went a bit overboard this year with the 3 and D guys around Luka that they overlooked the value of a legit 2nd option ball handler.  

The Mavs are doing the correct thing. Let us see how this team and Luka looks in a couple of years.  

It is hard to know what is motivating this uptick in Luka off-the-ball.  Are they testing certain looks?  Are they giving him in-game "load management"?   Something no one has mentioned is that some of the alternative ball handlers may be trying out for their own jobs next season.  I'm in agreement that Luka has to be able to succeed off the ball.  All-Luka All-the-Time just won't work.  But, Dallas has to have that guy who can create for himself and others.  Otherwise we are simply degrading the offense for the sake of diversity.  

It is easy to get wrapped up in current season standings and whether we seeded 6th or 7th.  But, the long game is what really matters here.  For all we know JRich wasn't brought here to be a long-term fit.  It is possible he was a way to get a second and a (kind-of) expiring contract.  Curry wasn't the solution to all of our problems either, but his $8mm next year may have been in the way of whatever the plan is.  I'm kind of glad the (collective) board has kind of moved on from iterations of a John Collins pursuit.  Most of our recent discussions have revolved around ball handlers who can also be a third scoring threat.  People like Ball or DeRozan or THT or the geriatric PG's being added seems much more likely.  If Brunson or JRich is your second guard, then you have issues.  If they are your third guard, you may have something.  Similar things can be said about Maxi and DFS, but they appear much more difficult to replace than JRich and/or Hardaway.
Like Reply
(04-13-2021, 08:19 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I'm kind of glad the (collective) board has kind of moved on from iterations of a John Collins pursuit.

[Image: https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43...98x270.gif]
Like Reply
(04-12-2021, 11:57 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I read some article recently that the Mavs are looking for another guard next to Luka. So they realize the issue too. Plus that tells me they are on the correct path to not get Luka to fall into bad habits. Maybe they went a bit overboard this year with the 3 and D guys around Luka that they overlooked the value of a legit 2nd option ball handler. But again there are plenty of plays where Luka can cut and move too when he is off the ball.  The FO can do better. Teammmates can do better. Luka can do better too. 

The Mavs are doing the correct thing. Let us see how this team and Luka looks in a couple of years. Hopefully he is not wearing a different team uni by then.

Good post.

Maybe targeting a specific skillset isn't the best move for this front office given their recent struggles.  I appreciate that they noticed defense was a problem and wanted to improve it but what if their weren't great opportunities to do so and in that pursuit they passed up other options that could have helped the team in other areas?    Be opportunistic with the options available to you or whatnot.
Like Reply