Poll: Who gets the Dirkie? (vote AFTER the game)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Luka
84.62%
33 84.62%
KP
5.13%
2 5.13%
Delon
0%
0 0%
Jalen
2.56%
1 2.56%
Maxi
0%
0 0%
Boban
2.56%
1 2.56%
Seth
0%
0 0%
DP
0%
0 0%
THJ
2.56%
1 2.56%
Justin
2.56%
1 2.56%
Total 39 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 1: WAS @ DAL | 108-100 win | Dirkie: Luka
Heart 
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/11...4418719745
Like Reply
https://gph.is/2xbcr4H
Like Reply
Here's the lineups I'd like to see (given DP will be healthy):

Wright -> Brunson
Doncic -> Curry
Jackson -> THJ/Dodo
KP -> Maxi
DP -> Boban

Many options here. Can bring Maxi for either KP or DP, Brunson for Wright or Jackson. The only thing I'd really want is Brunson getting all the non-Luka minutes. And although it's hard to say, hopefully no JJB.
Former: Psychology BSc. Sports coverage for @weltfussball and @sportde. Writer at @mavsmoneyball. Now: Web Dev, Mavs fan.
[Image: MFSYrBp.png]
Twitter: j0Shi_f
Like Reply
(10-19-2019, 05:51 AM)j0Shi Wrote: And although it's hard to say, hopefully no JJB.
It's hard to admit, but the right chioce imo.

Even if Dirk would be still on the roster, he should go out of the development way of our young players.
Like Reply
The injury of JJB really messed with his role on the team. If he had stayed healthy, I think it would have been easier for him to take a step back this season. Now I think he wants to come back and proof himself first and then migrate to a lesser / veteran / coach role. Even if he is going to deserve the minutes he'll be getting, you could make a case of giving young guys the experience instead.

Anyway, I don't think JJB will make or break the game. Things to watch for me:

• Rotation on the wing
  • KP / Luka starting strong and chemistry
  • 3P% and Rebounds
  • Closing lineup of Luka/Curry/Wright/KP/Maxi
Easy W!
Former: Psychology BSc. Sports coverage for @weltfussball and @sportde. Writer at @mavsmoneyball. Now: Web Dev, Mavs fan.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1185616601086922752

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1185613896419348485
Like Reply
Yeah, he's out  Sad
Like Reply
(10-19-2019, 08:27 AM)j0Shi Wrote: The injury of JJB really messed with his role on the team. If he had stayed healthy, I think it would have been easier for him to take a step back this season. Now I think he wants to come back and proof himself first and then migrate to a lesser / veteran / coach role. Even if he is going to deserve the minutes he'll be getting, you could make a case of giving young guys the experience instead.

I don't think JJB's role is dependent on what he wants, though I think he'd want to be in the rotation either way. 

Really curious to see how Rick handles this. The only way I see an everyday role for JJB is if Brunson starts, but I'm not Rick. 

But if Rick thinks JJB should be in the rotation then maybe we're looking at like 11 rotation players. It seems like the domino effect means you have to chose between Jackson and THJ, but both of those guys look like they need an every day spot. 

Can't wait to see how it sorts itself out
Like Reply
(10-19-2019, 04:29 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(10-19-2019, 08:27 AM)j0Shi Wrote: The injury of JJB really messed with his role on the team. If he had stayed healthy, I think it would have been easier for him to take a step back this season. Now I think he wants to come back and proof himself first and then migrate to a lesser / veteran / coach role. Even if he is going to deserve the minutes he'll be getting, you could make a case of giving young guys the experience instead.

I don't think JJB's role is dependent on what he wants, though I think he'd want to be in the rotation either way. 

Really curious to see how Rick handles this. The only way I see an everyday role for JJB is if Brunson starts, but I'm not Rick. 

But if Rick thinks JJB should be in the rotation then maybe we're looking at like 11 rotation players. It seems like the domino effect means you have to chose between Jackson and THJ, but both of those guys look like they need an every day spot. 

Can't wait to see how it sorts itself out

Would be great if we could do some trade consolidation. 
We have 14 guys (everyone but Roby) I'd be comfortable giving 15 to 20 mpg to which is just insane. 
Kind of a shame this isn't 7 on 7. I feel like we'd wreck most teams
Like Reply
(10-19-2019, 05:10 PM)Jym Wrote: Would be great if we could do some trade consolidation. 
We have 14 guys (everyone but Roby) I'd be comfortable giving 15 to 20 mpg to which is just insane. 

Having 14, or 15 with our brand new guy or 17 good players who a case can be made that they deserve minutes is a good thing....in every way. Not every body can get minutes but under Rick, we already know that guys are supposed to "be ready". They earn their chances in practices which are actually relatively few and when situations like garbage time happen. Very often, opportunities happen with injuries. Most of these guys have gotten lots of opportunities by their summer work and training camp. The 10 or maybe 11 man rotation will only show who have earned the minutes thru training camp. These guys will get their shot for some number of games. We will say the others are in Rick's doghouse. But they will mostly get their chance as they earn it as described above. 

Again, having this much young talent is great, not bad. Also, if JJB is playing well and helping us win, he will play. We are trying to make the playoffs so no one and I mean no one will be given minutes for development reasons. They will get minutes when they have convinced Rick, and no one else, that they can help us win games.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
(10-19-2019, 05:27 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: Having 14, or 15 with our brand new guy or 17 good players who a case can be made that they deserve minutes is a good thing....in every way. Not every body can get minutes but under Rick, we already know that guys are supposed to "be ready". They earn their chances in practices which are actually relatively few and when situations like garbage time happen. Very often, opportunities happen with injuries. Most of these guys have gotten lots of opportunities by their summer work and training camp. The 10 or maybe 11 man rotation will only show who have earned the minutes thru training camp. These guys will get their shot for some number of games. We will say the others are in Rick's doghouse. But they will mostly get their chance as they earn it as described above. 

Again, having this much young talent is great, not bad. Also, if JJB is playing well and helping us win, he will play. We are trying to make the playoffs so no one and I mean no one will be given minutes for development reasons. They will get minutes when they have convinced Rick, and no one else, that they can help us win games.

Yeah certainly not the worst problem to have especially in the regular season. 
I'd be more concerned with minutes being too spread out and inconsistent if we were on the verge of a deep playoff run
Like Reply
(10-19-2019, 05:10 PM)Jym Wrote: We have 14 guys (everyone but Roby) I'd be comfortable giving 15 to 20 mpg to which is just insane. 

JJB, Lee: Both veterans that primary role should be mentoring players off the court.
Broekhoff: Weird case for me. Last season I thought he would get much more playing time as a shooter in a team that had none, but he never grew into a role.
Roby: Rookie

That said, it's an interesting roster makeup for sure. We are probably really competitive #1 - #2 (KP, Luka), slightly below average #3 - #6 (Wright, DP, Maxi, Brunson) and way above average #7 - #11 (Jackson, Dodo, THJ, Curry). People that are down on the Mavs often bring up that "who's their 3rd best player" question. That's fair, there's a huge talent gap between #2 and #3. That however is more relevant in the playoffs when your best #7 vs. the other team's best #7 is like 90% of the action. In the regular season where teams play wider rotations, deep teams like us will have an advantage.

https://twitter.com/kpelton/status/1185046399747907585
Like Reply
I definitely think they are a playoff team this year. They look great already so I can only imagine how they look by the ASB.
Like Reply
Looking at the Wizards roster this season this really should be a win for us. Bradley Beal may go off for 50 against us and it probably won't matter one bit. 

JJ and Rick need to give a really nice hello to Ian Mahinmi too. 2 of the 3 remaining 2011 Mavs (Tyson) are on these rosters. Maybe 2 of 4 if Corey Brewer finds another NBA gig
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/FredKatz/status/1186050540683313152
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
The Mavs don't seem to be getting much respect in the national media. In the West, everyone is focused on the LA teams, Houston and Denver and dismiss Dallas as a very long shot for even an 8-seed. It might work out that way, but I'm basking in the light from the dawn of a new season and my optimism says there will be some crow eaten about the Mavs this year.

Referencing one of the posts above, no team ended up with a 3rd all star. Most teams this season are built around two "stars" and I'll take my chances with our two stars. I'm not saying we'll have 60 wins (or even 50) but I like the potential to win every night. Who makes the key contribution outside of KP/Luka will be a rotation of players, depending on who is effective on a particular night. 

After watching the preseason games, I'm convinced the KP is healed and ready to go. There were several hold-your-breath falls where he just bounced back up and went back to work. As his confidence grows, the shots will fall and the reaching fouls will drop off. Once that happens, the EuroTrain is going to blow up some preconceptions.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1186321784251002880
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1186344631719604227
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
So, TV outside of DFW - only on League Pass?
Like Reply
(10-22-2019, 08:59 AM)embellisher Wrote: So, TV outside of DFW - only on League Pass?

I live in Austin, grew up in Plano, Mavs fan since about 1993.

Yes - LP, actually 'Team Pass', is my solution for watching the Mavs at ~$120/season.  I only pay for the Team Pass option, which allows you to watch all games for your selected team that are not on: 1) ESPN, 2) TNT, or 3) NBA TV, which means about 70-80% of all the regular season games played.
Like Reply