Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 116, Bucks 101
MAVS SPANK BUCKS IN REDEMPTION GAME BACK AT AAC

The Mavericks blew out the Giannis-less Mavs, fumigating the stench lingering after their listless loss in Houston. 

GAME STORY

Willie, Redick, and Terry continued their absences. Giannis and Tucker were out for Milwaukee. With Maxi returning to the court, the “standard” starting lineup opened the action for the Mavs. 

After a lackluster display of spirit in Houston, your Dallas Maveickss came out with energy and focus against the Bucks, at least after the first few minutes. The teams swapped a few runs in the first quarter, but the game was within two possessions for the entire frame. An 11-0 run late by the Bucks helped the visitors to a 31-29 lead against Dallas after one. The second quarter featured more of the same, with the score difference never extending beyond 6 points. Dallas made a 1-point inroad into their deficit, and the teams went into the locker room with the Mavs trailing 55-56.

Toward the end of the third, the Mavs built an 8-point lead, which soon evaporated. With the game tied, Luka was called for his 12th technical foul of the season for berating the ref after a non-call. The Bucks closed the period on a 12-0 run inside of two minutes, fueled by 4 Dallas turnovers in that stretch, and the Mavs were down 80-84 after three. 

The Mavericks erased their deficit in the fourth, and built a lead on a slow and steady basis, reaching a double-digit advantage with three minutes left.  The home team systematically destroyed the Bucks, putting up a 36-17 quarter, headlined by 11 points from KP and a gritty defensive performance. 

STATISTICS

This game was won at the three-point line. Although both parties shot similar percentages, the Mavericks’ shot distribution resulted in 12 more 3PTAs by Dallas than by their opponent. Point differentials were even on points from twos and made free throws, and +15 on points from threes. 

PLAYERS

DONCIC.  Luka led all scorers with 27 points, on 11-20 shooting, 3-8 from three. He narrowly missed a triple-double, recording 9 rebounds and 9 dimes. He exhibited great energy and a sense of urgency, and made great decisions in the fourth. A reporter asked Rick after the game whether Luka’s 12 technical fouls are an issue, since he will receive a one-game suspension if he gets to 16. Carlisle says he is not worried about it because Luka understands the issue and is smart. If he does get a 16th T, Rick thinks he will commit it before a game when he is scheduled to rest in any case. Hmm. 

DFS. Doe-Doe recorded a season-high 10 rebounds, and also boasted 9 points, 3 assists and 3 blocks. One of those blocks was a spectacular defensive play that was initially deemed a foul, but was reversed when Carlisle challenged the call. Dorian was awarded the Defensive Player of the Game belt for his work on Khris Middleton, normally the Bucks’ second-leading scorer, who was held to 6-27 shooting. 

KLEBER.  Maxi made a most welcome return to action. In addition to his sorely-missed defense, he chipped in 12 points, including 4-7 3PTAs. He put an exclamation point on the victory with a banked-in shot from the logo as the Mavericks’ last made shot. 

RICHARDSON. Josh rebounded from his stinker in Houston, with a 14-5-4 line and a couple of steals. He still went 0-6 from three, and was only 6-16 from the floor, but he received praise from the coach for his defensive efforts on Jrue Holiday, who was limited to 13 points and 5 assists. 

PORZINGIS. The Mavericks were making a concerted effort to keep KP involved offensively, and it paid off in a huge way. The big man had 26 points, 17 boards, and 2 blocks in a sparkling night. Whatever differences might or might not exist between Luka and Kris were not in evidence, as Doncic repeatedly fed Kristaps. There was a notable play early in the fourth, when KP’s defender left him to help on Luka, resulting in Luka’s passing to KP, who hit a beautiful three. The pair high-fived after the score. Zinger was obviously discontented with his role in Houston, but was all smiles after this contest. Coach commended him for a great all-around game on the second night of a B2B. 

RESERVES. Timmy had 12 points off the bench, albeit on 4-11 attempts. Powell had 8 points and 4 boards in 15 minutes as the third big. Melli played only 7 minutes, but added 6 points with back-to-back threes in the second. It was a rare off night from Brunson, who was 1-8 from the field, and scored only 2 points in 22 minutes. Dallas won the battle of the benches 28-16.

BUCKS. Bobby Portis proved a tough Buck to contain, and he put up 20 points and 14 boards. All five starters were in double figures, but their team fell apart in the final frame, when no Buck had more than 5 points, and five players recorded goose eggs. 

OBSERVATIONS

Rick described the match as “emotional” and “combative.” His proudest moments occurred after the Bucks made their big run at the end of the third. He thought the situation had potential to go south in a hurry, but his men maintained their composure and executed beautifully to get back in the race. The squad made some big shots in the fourth, hitting 7 of 11 from deep, and KP completing all three of his attempts from range. 

The Mavs caught a huge break with Giannis being out, but I still think this victory is meaningful. Even without the Greek Freak, the Bucks are a very talented and well-coached squad, and it is a good sign that the Mavericks were able to defeat them so decisively, particularly with superior late-game execution. Hopefully, the Rockets loss can be chalked up as an aberrational cautionary tale warning our boys to keep their level of play sharp, whoever the opponent might be. 

Very encouraging performance! The Mavs get a rare two-game hiatus, and will face the Spurs on Saturday. 
Like Reply
(04-09-2021, 12:57 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: The pair high-fived after the score.

Show for media. Can't get more obvious than that. An experienced broadcaster should know that. Smile
Like Reply
@"mavsluvr", love you and all bro, but please no more singing.
Like Reply
(04-09-2021, 01:06 AM)cow Wrote: @"mavsluvr", love you and all bro, but please no more singing.
Yeah, that one came out of nowhere...
Like Reply
(04-09-2021, 01:06 AM)cow Wrote: @"mavsluvr", love you and all bro, but please no more singing.

co-signed, @"mavsluvr"
Like Reply
He's got rhythm, who could ask for anything more?
Like Reply
Its funny, I wanted to fire the entire bunch after the Houston game.  After last night I’m thinking “maybe we just add a little around the edges”.  

The O was nothing special.  Among our top 7 four guys shot 37% or less from the field.  In the playoffs, if they take away your stars, someone else has to step up.  It would warm my heart if we had one other guy you could send out there to get a basket if one were desperately needed.

It was kind of shocking to see Melli come in and take those two 3-pointers...especially after what happened the night before.  I’ve been trying not to get too caught up in Melli-mania preferring to give it some time.  The gritty D and smart veteran play is really negated if we have to play 4 on 5 offensively.  Last night gave me reason for hope.

I hope WCS sits the rest of the year.  Powell is back to doing Powell things, even in limited minutes.  His O-Ratings in March and April are 143 and 154 respectively in 16 games.  TS%’s are .684 and .648.

The Dirkie was odd for me last night.  Did anyone truly “elevate” their game?  I mostly saw guys who did what they are supposed to do.  The DFS blocks and rebounds and strong defensive effort (which happens a lot) were really nice.  But, it is hard to call 3/10 shooting “elevated”.  Other than a few extra rebounds, isn’t this the expectation for KP?  It is elevated because he hasn’t lived up to expectations.  If this was a single game MVP award, both are deserving.  The 8-0 in the fourth forced me to give it to KP.  That was certainly “elevated” for him compared to what he’s been doing this season.
Like Reply
(04-09-2021, 08:14 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I hope WCS sits the rest of the year.  Powell is back to doing Powell things, even in limited minutes.  His O-Ratings in March and April are 143 and 154 respectively in 16 games.  TS%’s are .684 and .648.

I'm not ready to proclaim Powell "back" yet, but WCS's status is worrying me. He had to have contracted the virus to be out this long, and judging by how Richardson and DFS looked for weeks after they came back, I'm not sure we can expect much from Willie to close out this year. For the Mavs' sake, I hope you're right, and that Powell keeps improving.
Like Reply
(04-09-2021, 08:22 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm not ready to proclaim Powell "back" yet, but WCS's status is worrying me. He had to have contracted the virus to be out this long, and judging by how Richardson and DFS looked for weeks after they came back, I'm not sure we can expect much from Willie to close out this year. For the Mavs' sake, I hope you're right, and that Powell keeps improving.

Such a weird year.  You just have to deal with people being out and not really knowing the seriousness of it.  Both WCS and who knows what is the story on Tyrell Terry.   

I feel bad for WCS.  He opted out of the bubble.  I can't remember if it was because he had a new child, someone who was compromised in his family, or if he had something compromised (or maybe a combination of those).  But to get COVID right before a lot of people are getting vaccinated, just sucks.   Hopefully he is ok and just needs extra conditioning time.   I expected him back by now though.
Like Reply
(04-09-2021, 08:51 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I feel bad for WCS.  He opted out of the bubble.  I can't remember if it was because he had a new child, someone who was compromised in his family, or if he had something compromised (or maybe a combination of those).  But to get COVID right before a lot of people are getting vaccinated, just sucks.   Hopefully he is ok and just needs extra conditioning time.   I expected him back by now though.
He was had a child due around the time the bubble opened in ORL and opted to not go into the bubble isolation. 

I guess a second positive from the win over MKE is that POR lost, so we are still a game back. If they'd taken care of business in HOU, we'd be tied for 6th today.
Like Reply
(04-09-2021, 08:51 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: But to get COVID right before a lot of people are getting vaccinated, just sucks.   Hopefully he is ok and just needs extra conditioning time.   I expected him back by now though.

Yes, I hope the extended absence includes more time to actually recover, and that he won't be thrown in the way the others were earlier this season. There wasn't much choice at the time, but I think they learned that there's little value in getting your guys back if they can't breathe while they're out there. You're right - very interesting year.
Like Reply
(04-09-2021, 08:14 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Powell is back to doing Powell things, even in limited minutes.  His O-Ratings in March and April are 143 and 154 respectively in 16 games.  TS%’s are .684 and .648.
Thanks for pointing this out. I thought he played well last night, and it seems like he has been coming along recently.
Like Reply
(04-09-2021, 08:22 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm not ready to proclaim Powell "back" yet, but WCS's status is worrying me. He had to have contracted the virus to be out this long, and judging by how Richardson and DFS looked for weeks after they came back, I'm not sure we can expect much from Willie to close out this year. For the Mavs' sake, I hope you're right, and that Powell keeps improving.

I dunno, I just assumed that he not only got COVID, but also the RCDHV.
Like Reply
(04-09-2021, 09:11 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Thanks for pointing this out. I thought he played well last night, and it seems like he has been coming along recently.

Agreed.  It looks slightly different than in years past because he is cutting to the basket for more layups and fewer alley-oop jams, but (1) 2 points is 2 points and (2) it still forces the help side D to stay home, opening up the lane for the ball handler.

The one thing I loved most about this game, which I was happy was mentioned in the game, was Luka making the belt sign after getting his hand on the ball while defending a fast break.  I thought the belt was too gimmicky at first.  But to see guys (especially the team’s super star) show they are hungry and competing for it, that is a welcome culture change to see.  It encourages me that this recent increase in defensive effort and efficacy is exactly that, part of a larger culture change on the team and not just a flash in the pan.
Like Reply
(04-09-2021, 08:14 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Its funny, I wanted to fire the entire bunch after the Houston game.  After last night I’m thinking “maybe we just add a little around the edges”.  
Ha I was at the same spot...in fact I was still in that mindset when the third quarter ended.  I was playing in my mind would I want Hardaway, Richardson, MLE or Derozan and Holmes?   I am not sure if Holmes is the perfect fit with KP, but as much as I like Hardaway I think at this time I would prefer Derozan and Holmes.  But I reserve the right to change my opinion 100 times.
Like Reply
Can I post a reddit link?  Redick gives DFS some props

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mavericks/comme...nneysmith/
Like Reply
(04-09-2021, 01:23 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Can I post a reddit link?  Redick gives DFS some props

The most enjoyable thing about the JJ Redick trade might be the Mavs insights on his podcast.
Like Reply
(04-09-2021, 01:38 PM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: The most enjoyable thing about the JJ Redick trade might be the Mavs insights on his podcast.

I love how Redick says "we had miscommunication", "we got a jumpball". Love to see it even if he hasn't suited up yet.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(04-09-2021, 02:11 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I love how Redick says "we had miscommunication", "we got a jumpball". Love to see it even if he hasn't suited up yet.

I noticed that! What a great teammate, even if it's just for a while. I think he's going to have a strong impact on Luka and KP for his brief period here.
Like Reply
(04-09-2021, 01:23 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Can I post a reddit link?  Redick gives DFS some props

This is awesome to see and it's probably because they are teammates now, but DFS gets no love outside of the fan base.  The guy works his ass off on the court and you can tell, with his improvements year-to-year, that he does so off the court.   It's why he and Maxi are my favorite current Mavs.
Like Reply