Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 111, Jazz 103
I have criticized Luka for not having a catch and shoot game (I think JVG once said in-game that it was a strength of Luka's, which made me LOL) but Rick ran a play for him where ran off two screens and nailed a three off the pass.  It is great team basketball and so much more interesting than watching Luka dribble all the way to the rim (or chucking it up on the step-back).

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?GameEventID=337&GameID=0022000764&Season=2020-21&flag=1&title=Doncic%2024%27%203PT%20Jump%20Shot%20(17%20PTS)%20(Richardson%201%20AST)&sct=plot

Luka brings the ball up the court, hands off to Melli just outside the logo.  Melli watches JRich curl from the rim to the weak-side, running off a double screen set by Maxi and Doe-Doe. Meanwhile, Luka runs all the way to the rim, shadowing JRich's path.  Melli passes to JRich as he arrives at the weakside of the logo. 

JRich dribbles once as he watches Luka curl around to the 3 point elbow, running off another double screen set by Maxi and Doe-Doe.  JRich passes to Luka, who catches and quickly shoots a step-back 24 footer and sinks the 3.

KP has made an effort to talk about how much better the team plays when EVERYONE is involved, and this is a play that I hope they run more often.  More concretely, I do hope that Rick weaves JJ into the offense with his off-ball motion and catch-and-shoot opportunities, and that Luka learns from that master and adds it to his own game.
Like Reply