[Image: e353066dd8c76675785a93a3e9308184.jpg]
Like Reply
(04-05-2021, 10:32 PM)Hypermav Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: 2021-04-06_093810_1.png]
Like Reply
(04-05-2021, 10:47 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: [Image: 2021-04-06_093810_1.png]

[Image: image-axd.jpg]
Like Reply
He has European three point range, maybe.  There’s no place in the NBA for spot up two point jump shooters. I like his overall game though as a reserve if he can stretch out his range a couple of feet. He’s more mobile than I expected and a good ball handler and passer for a man his size.  Good instincts and shooting form too. He just needs to adjust to the NBA three point line if he’s going to really help this team.
Like Reply
(04-05-2021, 11:35 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: He has European three point range, maybe.  There’s no place in the NBA for spot up two point jump shooters. I like his overall game though as a reserve if he can stretch out his range a couple of feet. He’s more mobile than I expected and a good ball handler and passer for a man his size.  Good instincts and shooting form too. He just needs to adjust to the NBA three point line if he’s going to really help this team.

[Image: rawImage.jpg]
Like Reply
(04-05-2021, 11:35 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: He has European three point range, maybe.  There’s no place in the NBA for spot up two point jump shooters. I like his overall game though as a reserve if he can stretch out his range a couple of feet. He’s more mobile than I expected and a good ball handler and passer for a man his size.  Good instincts and shooting form too. He just needs to adjust to the NBA three point line if he’s going to really help this team.

Agreed. I felt the same way about Luka, but not everybody will be able to do it. Everybody is praising him for a Johnson performance, cause the rest of the team shot 50% from the field and 55% from three.

If we had lost the game, him and Kleber, be getting it. But unlikely to happen since we are unbeaten, when DFS and Richardson both shoot >40% from three in a game.
Like Reply
He's becoming our Euro Draymond, both in good and bad ways.    I mean, isn't Draymond shooting like 27% from 3P% these days?
Like Reply
(04-06-2021, 05:22 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote:  But unlikely to happen since we are unbeaten, when DFS and Richardson both shoot >40% from three in a game.

WE ARE UNBEATEN SINCE GETTING MELLI. But seriously, it was nice hearing DFS giving Melli mad props after the game for his defense and switchability.
Like Reply
(04-05-2021, 10:36 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: [Image: e353066dd8c76675785a93a3e9308184.jpg]

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
No disrespect to James J., but Mellie doesn't need a black belt since he has retracable blades that shoot out of this knuckles. If someone messes with anyone on our team he can just disembowel them.
Like Reply
(04-06-2021, 07:24 AM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: He's becoming our Euro Draymond, both in good and bad ways.    I mean, isn't Draymond shooting like 27% from 3P% these days?

I LOVE this comparison.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(04-06-2021, 10:50 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I LOVE this comparison.

Yeah, it's a good comp but we know in reality Nicolo Melli  the Mav is way too early to be Maxi #2 let alone Draymond but he's already come a long way from being the JJ Redick throw-in.  He started for KP in a win, despite being 0-7 from the floor. 

BTW, its great to get some verbal support from the super star  for Mr. Melli but can someone send a thesaurus to Luka with synonyms for AMAZING? 
I know this Doncic guy is brilliant speaking multiple languages and all but it seems like every time he's asked about another player, they are AMAZING PLAYER!  Big Grin 

Quote:Oh, and the person whose opinion most matters clearly was thrilled by 6-9 Melli’s six-point, three-rebound, one-steal performance.

“It’s going to be great,” Luka Doncic said. “He’s an amazing player. He’s a great person. We connected from the first moment. I know Europeans connect better, but he’s a good person for the locker room, and you saw today, he was playing amazing basketball."

Just for Luka, he's a good list with some in bold that could easily be plugged in for AMAZING when you get to the 1,000,000th interview question asking you to comment on another NBA player's game. 

Quote:
Like Reply
To be clear, when I call him Euro  Draymond, I mean 2021 Draymond and not 2016 Draymond ... because 2016 Draymond was really really good, and 2021 Draymond is coasting off the reputation of 2016 Draymond.
Like Reply
I am shocked at how good he is on defense.  He never had the reputation as a stopper, but he is out there moving his feet and getting it done.  He is finally setting some good screens.   No one on this team sets screens.  KP sets horrible screens and shies away from contact.   Powell tries but causes a ton of turnover on moving screens.  DFS just doesn't do it enough.  Marjanovich is too slow to set a good screen.  Kleiber is ok at it but does not roll well. Melli also has a full offensive repertoire, he can drive, post up and can hit a jumper, though his 3 point shooting sucks this year.   Dallas desperately needs a good screener who can roll or shoot on a pick and roll, that's why they are so interested in Collins.
Like Reply
(04-06-2021, 12:57 PM)haveitall Wrote: I am shocked at how good he is on defense.  He never had the reputation as a stopper, but he is out there moving his feet and getting it done.  He is finally setting some good screens.   No one on this team sets screens.  KP sets horrible screens and shies away from contact.   Powell tries but causes a ton of turnover on moving screens.  DFS just doesn't do it enough.  Marjanovich is too slow to set a good screen.  Kleiber is ok at it but does not roll well. Melli also has a full offensive repertoire, he can drive, post up and can hit a jumper, though his 3 point shooting sucks this year.   Dallas desperately needs a good screener who can roll or shoot on a pick and roll, that's why they are so interested in Collins.
So much of defense is effort. Could he have landed in a better place than here with Luka? He’s playing like he wants to stay. We need guys like that to absorb hard contact to keep KP/Maxi fresh for the playoffs
Like Reply
(04-06-2021, 02:07 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: He’s playing like he wants to stay.

Absolutely right. I think it really is that simple.
Like Reply
(04-06-2021, 11:51 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: Yeah, it's a good comp but we know in reality Nicolo Melli  the Mav is way too early to be Maxi #2 let alone Draymond but he's already come a long way from being the JJ Redick throw-in.  He started for KP in a win, despite being 0-7 from the floor. 

So let’s get one thing straight - Nico hasn’t come a long way since joining the Mavs.  This is like everyone who was surprised by how good Luka is because his accolades in Europe meant nothing to them.  Nico is a seasoned vet who played a significant roll on a team that won and regularly competed for the Euroleague championship.

If anything, his time in NO should be the anomaly.
Like Reply
(04-06-2021, 02:21 PM)soog Wrote: So let’s get one thing straight - Nico hasn’t come a long way since joining the Mavs.  This is like everyone who was surprised by how good Luka is because his accolades in Europe meant nothing to them.  Nico is a seasoned vet who played a significant roll on a team that won and regularly competed for the Euroleague championship.

If anything, his time in NO should be the anomaly.

Also no one should be surprised that Jeff Van Gundy is a dinosaur who doesn't know how to utilize a player.
Like Reply
(04-06-2021, 03:06 PM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: Also no one should be surprised that Jeff Van Gundy is a dinosaur who doesn't know how to utilize a player.
I’ve seen it said twice now (not sure if you said it before), but the NO coach is Stan Van Gundy, not Jeff who has said he’s not gonna go back to coaching. It’s not a big deal, just has made me pause to make sure I wasn’t remembering incorrectly.
Like Reply
Knew nothing about Melli. Took a few minutes of his first Mavs game. It was clear from only very few moments of action: This guy can play.

Its immediately clear.

His shot is off, and he doesnt convert the 3 very well at this moment, and he could be more athletic. No doubt far more good than bad things can be said about Niccolo.

Melli can play. He is really good. Obvious also that his teammates enjoy playing with him.
Like Reply