Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.82 Average
HALLELUKA: Luka Clinches All-NBA 1st team. 4th in 5 years
Why we don't see so much movement with Mavs?

All Things Mavs on Twitter: "It feels so good to watch Luka Doncic play basketball https://t.co/M2ZycPbHMH" / Twitter
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 10:07 AM)omahen Wrote: Why we don't see so much movement with Mavs?

Huh?

By my count there were 7 high PnR actions, a Luka post-up and a Luka iso three. Mavs use all of these actions multiple times a game.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 10:50 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: By my count there were 7 high PnR actions, a Luka post-up and a Luka iso three. Mavs use all of these actions multiple times a game.

We basically never see wings cutting to the paint in Dallas. They are just standing in the corner waiting for the pass. 2 out of 7 actions in the video were that.
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 11:00 AM)omahen Wrote: We basically never see wings cutting to the paint in Dallas. They are just standing in the corner waiting for the pass. 2 out of 7 actions in the video were that.
This was my biggest excitement from Green in his rookie campaign, but last year he didn’t seem to do it as much. That made much more sad face for him!
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 11:00 AM)omahen Wrote: We basically never see wings cutting to the paint in Dallas. They are just standing in the corner waiting for the pass. 2 out of 7 actions in the video were that.

I think most of that has to do with the philosophy of 3>2, but I agree the offense did become stagnant at times. 

Though, I do think the cuts we see in this video are only possible because Croatia's wings aren't nearly on the same level as NBA guys.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 11:19 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: This was my biggest excitement from Green in his rookie campaign, but last year he didn’t seem to do it as much. That made much more sad face for him!

This isn't meant as a Kidd-bash at all - I'm sold on him. 

But, as improved as the defense was last season, the offense took a few steps back in sophistication, imo. Once they got Porzingis out of the midrange and started at least using modern spacing again, I became hopeful that it was just a work in progress. But, I'll be watching closely after this next training camp to see what they're trying to accomplish on the offensive end. I hope the offense is farther along at the beginning of year two than it was at the beginning of year one.
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 11:52 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: This isn't meant as a Kidd-bash at all - I'm sold on him. 

But, as improved as the defense was last season, the offense took a few steps back in sophistication, imo. Once they got Porzingis out of the midrange and started at least using modern spacing again, I became hopeful that it was just a work in progress. But, I'll be watching closely after this next training camp to see what they're trying to accomplish on the offensive end. I hope the offense is farther along at the beginning of year two than it was at the beginning of year one.
As far as Green, I can appreciate the freedom given him to handle the ball into traffic more this past year, cause most of our team needs the confidence to do that (esp with JB gone). I just wished he also progressed the cutting part of his game too, cause that puts us closer to the much more lethal GSW offense instead of the lazy Mike, Dan and Tony one (from Houston).

I really believe last year was a “see what kinda players I got” year for both Nico and Kidd and that’s why we got an offense that is more similar to what the players assembled were used to. He then worked with them to get out if their comfort zone a bit more to see how adaptable they were (again, evaluation). I think this year we see closer to what/how Kidd wants to play cause the team is getting closer to looking like “his” guys.

I think Luka is of course “his” guy. The work he did with DFS and him gaining confidence in driving into traffic was beautiful as well and he’ll take more of that confidence into the coming year. That along with his alpha male defense guy makes him a fully Kidd guy. I think anyone else could be traded, but for the most part they were and are brought in to see if they can become Kidd guys.
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 12:12 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I think this year we see closer to what/how Kidd wants to play cause the team is getting closer to looking like “his” guys.

I would submit Wood is custom made to play in the superb Carlisle system. I don't view that addition as a departure from the system at all. 

I agree that last year's system was customized to the personnel, but not always very well. What you didn't like about it, I ALSO didn't like about it, but those problems (to me) weren't flaws in the system, but with the team's (and possibly coaches') understanding and implementation of it. 

Definitely agree that we'll learn a ton in year two.
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 12:35 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I would submit Wood is custom made to play in the superb Carlisle system. I don't view that addition as a departure from the system at all. 
Few things I would submit about the Wood acquisition. 

I think he’s a guy that CAN fit in many systems. 

Forgive me if I’m wrong on this observation, but you, I think, have made the assumption that he was brought in to be the C only. I would submit that the “position” they are envisioning for him is as a pf/c combo, with no set limit to which he plays most at. I think Wood is added as a guy for Kidd to test out to see if he can unlock his defensive self. If he can’t, I think him manning the C position becomes a problem, as you’ve said for years, the C position sets the tone for the rest of the defense. If he can make the guys comfortable enough to take gambles on defense by being the catch-all behind them, this team starts humming.

Last, Wood was probably about the best player we could imagine getting with the outgoing package. Might as well get him and see if Kidd can “coach him up”. This is an assumption in the case Wood isn’t actually viewed at first glance as a Kidd guy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 01:09 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Forgive me if I’m wrong on this observation, but you, I think, have made the assumption that he was brought in to be the C only.

To this point, I do believe that. 

However, his position doesn't have an effect on what he brings to the table from an offensive system approach, imo.
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 11:52 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: This isn't meant as a Kidd-bash at all - I'm sold on him. 

I think they started last season to rehab KP, either as a contributor or as trade bait, and basically tried to let him find his comfort zone. But he was not in sync with Luka/DP in the PnR game and you needed a traffic cop under the basket with so many bodies. He was also ineffective at posting and too bothered by smaller defensive players.

Once KP was moved outside, and Luka took a few weeks get healthy (cough...in shape...cough). Then the offense started working and the defense improved. (not sure which one of those is the chicken and which is the egg.)

I'm hoping this year starts off more efficiently. Need to find a way to get Bullock going in the fall as opposed to New Years. Shots of Luka playing this summer are hopeful. And I think we are all interested in the dynamics between Luka and a legit big.
Like Reply
Kidd has warts for sure.  You had to roll out Bertans to soak up minutes and he failed to be the least bit creative to run action to get him open looks on the offensive end.
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 02:36 PM)cow Wrote: Kidd has warts for sure.  You had to roll out Bertans to soak up minutes and he failed to be the least bit creative to run action to get him open looks on the offensive end.

For sure. 

I was happy when they returned to a state that made it apparent they valued modern spacing. 

Like, @"ItsGoTime", I disliked the way the offense (at times) devolved into (only) creating iso opportunities for one of their three ball-handlers against mismatches. I think that's a valuable option to have, and I'm glad they know how to milk it, but I think the GS series demonstrated that offensively, there are levels to go. 

Unlike IGT, I don't fault placing import on spacing as the culprit with that. I just think they haven't developed the system to an adequately advanced level. There were stretches of the season when I thought the ball was humming from player to player, but not at the end, in the playoffs. I hope they have another gear in store for us this time around.
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 02:40 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Unlike IGT, I don't fault placing import on spacing as the culprit with that. I just think they haven't developed the system to an adequately advanced level. There were stretches of the season when I thought the ball was humming from player to player, but not at the end, in the playoffs. I hope they have another gear in store for us this time around.
I think spacing is very important. I just think there’s so many more ways to create spacing than to SIT catch and shoot shooters beyond the 3 point line and play pick and roll with 2 players.
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 04:37 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I think spacing is very important. I just think there’s so many more ways to create spacing than to SIT catch and shoot shooters beyond the 3 point line and play pick and roll with 2 players.

I mean, that's the farthest away the players can get from each other, and honestly, involving two players in the main action (significantly upping the variety of immediate threats to the defense) would be an improvement over their approach during these past playoffs.
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 04:47 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I mean, that's the farthest away the players can get from each other, and honestly, involving two players in the main action (significantly upping the variety of immediate threats to the defense) would be an improvement over their approach during these past playoffs.
How do alley oops happen? Spacing. Give and go? Spacing. Wrap around pass under the basket? Spacing. Pocket passes? Spacing. 

5 out is not the only way to create spacing.
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 05:41 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: 5 out is not the only way to create spacing.

What I'm suggesting is not limited to 5-out. 

YOU just said you weren't satisfied with 3-out and the other two running pick and roll. 

With respect, I think in the game today, a pick and roll without adequate spacing from the other 3 is flatly a waste. I don't think this is a question of "style," I think it's about right and wrong, based on the currently available knowledge of what it's going to take to win at the pro level.

BTW, this concept has been around since Stockton and Malone, and probably before that. It's just that the standard for what "good spacing" looks like has evolved through the years as more and more players have become good shooters. You need those good shooters now more than ever, just to compete, because the other teams have them and so THEIR Stockton and Malone are going to have the space they need to make your defenders work much harder.
Like Reply
I would suggest that neither 5-out or 3-out will work unless everyone on the court is a credible threat. In the PnR, you can end up playing 2 on 3 if the 3-out guys aren’t respected. (See Green, J). DP is never going to pull his defender away from the basket since his only offensive move is a lob partner in the PnR.
Like Reply
There is the stream for the game between Slovenia and Sweden. It will started in 15 minutes. 

https://batmanstream.watch/basketball
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/malinwahlberg_/statu...55971?s=21&t=8C6PvU_MlTgPZBgPyTVA7g
[-] The following 4 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • AgGiE1991, Jmaciscool, LifeAquatic, Mavsfan12
Like Reply