Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.82 Average
HALLELUKA: Luka Clinches All-NBA 1st team. 4th in 5 years
Luka is going to be a Hall of Famer even if he shoots 30% from 3 for the rest of his career, but it's going to be waste of opportunity if he doesn't work on his 3-game. A top 10 player of all time is within reach, but the way he is right now, he is closer to Westbrook than he is with Dirk.

He should quit playing around with all those trick shots and half court attempts from practice. He needs his 3 ball to be automatic. It's been 3 years now and he's back to being chucker with no shot from 3. Why can't he do it? Jose Calderon was terrible in his first year, Jason Kidd was too, but they have improved. Luka is back to where he started.

Somebody from the Mavs or wherever should push Luka. 

Dirk had Avery "trade-Dirk-because-he-isn't-Duncan" Johnson, and at a certain extent, he had Don Nelson to thank for, exposing his weakness in 07. In 2 years, Dirk has improved his game the way a self respecting franchise player should.

Luka on the other hand.. just needs to lose some weight and shoot from 3 better. 

Dirk would have done this in less than 3 months.
Like Reply
What kind of time commitment is Luka making if he participates in the Euro Championship? Is that all summer? Multiple games per week? 

Just trying to understand if the guy will have any chance for down time (resting) and focus time (for improvement).

Dirk's the gold standard here and he always seemed to allow plenty of time for decompressing after the season as well as intense work with his personal coach to develop something new and work on strengthening himself physically. I know he did off season German team stuff, but it never seemed as expansive as Luka's efforts.

I mean this in no way as a criticism of his participation, just wondering if he will have time to recharge before next season. 

Limit his drinking a bit maybe? I know how it gets hanging with your friends...
[Image: 200.gif]
Like Reply
(01-17-2022, 03:09 PM)michaeltex Wrote: What kind of time commitment is Luka making if he participates in the Euro Championship? Is that all summer? Multiple games per week? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EuroBasket_2022

Make some effort sir!
Like Reply
@"bodhisattva" You've given us your perspective on this before, so you might have already answered this, but given what you explained to us about how important the national teams are to Slovenia and given what you know about how Luka's Mavs career is going and how badly he likely needs a good off-season, focused on rest, recovery, conditioning and improvement in some areas, what is your personal feeling on whether or not he should participate in EuroBasket?
Like Reply
(01-17-2022, 07:22 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: @"bodhisattva" You've given us your perspective on this before, so you might have already answered this, but given what you explained to us about how important the national teams are to Slovenia and given what you know about how Luka's Mavs career is going and how badly he likely needs a good off-season, focused on rest, recovery, conditioning and improvement in some areas, what is your personal feeling on whether or not he should participate in EuroBasket?

He should not. But I pray every day he does. If he really needs recovery and is mature enough, that he will put the work in than maybe it would be better for him to take it off. On the other hand if he is not, maybe its even worse. Eating gyros and smoking shisas in Greece instead of training with national team. Pissing off your nation and club fans in the process. Depends on the guy and his head.People forget, that he was way worse coming into previous season. It was shorter offseason, but there were no NT competitions. Even Followill mentioned this on Locked on Mavs. Maybe he would be even worse with no Olympics who knows?

Honestly, I think you guys are making his condition and form at the moment too big of a deal.
I have come to believe that he is just cruising. He figured something out. Maybe that regular season means nothing. He has another gear, you can see it when he gets pissed or in stretches, like in the Memphis game. Come playoff time, this debates will be quickly forgotten. Even his threes will start falling. Have nothing to back this up, just my feeling. Sure he is not in MVP condition, but come playoff time his numbers will be monstrous. I am the first to criticize the kid, but I have become a believer.
[-] The following 3 users Like bodhisattva's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft, LifeAquatic
Like Reply
(01-17-2022, 07:50 PM)bodhisattva Wrote: He should not. But I pray every day he does. If he really needs recovery and is mature enough, that he will put the work in than maybe it would be better for him to take it off. On the other hand if he is not, maybe its even worse. Eating gyros and smoking shisas in Greece instead of training with national team. Pissing off your nation and club fans in the process. Depends on the guy and his head.People forget, that he was way worse coming into previous season. It was shorter offseason, but there were no NT competitions. Even Followill mentioned this on Locked on Mavs. Maybe he would be even worse with no Olympics who knows?

This is kind of exactly where I am with all of it, thanks. 

(01-17-2022, 07:50 PM)bodhisattva Wrote: Honestly, I think you guys are making his condition and form at the moment too big of a deal.

Totally agree. Too big of a deal, no doubt, but not a non-issue. 

(01-17-2022, 07:50 PM)bodhisattva Wrote: I have come to believe that he is just cruising. He figured something out. Maybe that regular season means nothing. He has another gear, you can see it when he gets pissed or in stretches, like in the Memphis game. Come playoff time, this debates will be quickly forgotten. Even his threes will start falling. Have nothing to back this up, just my feeling.

I hope you're right (about him dominating in the playoffs), but I have to say that this would cause me tremendous worry of a different sort, if true. I do not like the idea of someone so young entertaining such thoughts or being allowed to get away with this approach, regardless of how great he is. It's one thing for someone like Lebron who could be done at any moment if he doesn't cut some corners here and there, but I hope we get at least a good, solid decade of Luka's very, very best before he starts to think this way.

I think this would be a bigger worry than him simply not having figured out how to off-season like a pro's pro yet, which I agree has been overblown somewhat. He'll figure that out, but if he's already bored with the NBA season??? That would scare the piss out of me as a Mavs fan.
Like Reply
(01-17-2022, 07:55 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I hope you're right, but I have to say that this would cause me tremendous worry of a different sort, if true. I do not like the idea of someone so young entertaining such thoughts or being allowed to get away with this approach, regardless of how great he is. It's one thing for someone like Lebron who could be done at any moment if he doesn't cut some corners here and there, but I hope we get at least a good, solid decade of Luka's very, very best before he starts to think this way.

I think this would be a bigger worry than him simply not having figured out how to off-season like a pro's pro yet, which I agree has been overblown somewhat. He'll figure that out, but if he's already bored with the NBA season??? That would scare the piss out of me as a Mavs fan.
I didnt mean bored. Hes been playing in Europe with NBA veterans. He knew everything about the league, before he every set foot in America and I mean small players details here.

Its his 4th year. He had long summer. I am sure he said to himself, i can slag off a bit, and light it up when it will start to matter. That is what i meant.

To calm you down, I am sure he proved to you he is competitive enough that eventually he will want the MVP awards, and for that it will take work. This is not Lukas final form. But he is too good and too smart, not to cruise at the moment. I am pretty sure.
[-] The following 2 users Like bodhisattva's post:
  • ballsrchr, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-17-2022, 08:11 PM)bodhisattva Wrote: To calm you down, I am sure he proved to you he is competitive enough that eventually he will want the MVP awards, and for that it will take work.

He has. And, I see it this way, too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • bodhisattva
Like Reply
Over the last 8 games, Mavs are 7-1.   All with Luka shooting 9 for 54 from three.   I believe I counted them right.

It will be nice to see when he starts hitting them.....it needs to get better right?   Added this, his backcourt mate isn't taking many threes and not shooting them great either.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-17-2022, 07:19 PM)bodhisattva Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EuroBasket_2022

Make some effort sir!

So Luka would basically come directly to DAL training camp from the EuroBasket tournament? At least he will have some down time between the season end and training with the Slovenian team. How much depends on how well the Mavs play. Hopefully, enough to get physically and mentally recharged. Possibly explore some improvements for next season?
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
Nobody talking about Luka's great defense lately. His on-ball defense, and the ability to cover passing lanes and steals, get the hand on the ball and disrupt, has been really great. In addition to rebounding of cours.e He is doing some stuff that you only see from the best defenders.

This easy correlates with him getting back from injury and not limping any longer. As well as Brunson being in the lineup taking some of the ball handling, saving some energy for Luka to concentrate on defense as well.

What this tells me is that Luka has the capability to be a good or perhaps even great defender. When injured or when overloaded with offensive duties, it is more difficult to play the best defense.
[-] The following 5 users Like burekemde's post:
  • ballsrchr, BoredAssistant, michaeltex, Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
https://thesportsrush.com/nba-news-luka-...he-league/
[-] The following 5 users Like burekemde's post:
  • KillerLeft, LifeAquatic, Scott41theMavs, Smitty, Tyler
Like Reply
(01-20-2022, 04:03 PM)burekemde Wrote: https://thesportsrush.com/nba-news-luka-...he-league/

[Image: giphy.gif]
[-] The following 3 users Like Hypermav's post:
  • burekemde, KillerLeft, LifeAquatic
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/14...96357?s=20
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply
Is anyone able to do the calculation, if Luka proceeds at this rate as this and the last season, where does he end up on the all time scoring NBA list?

All time assist and rebound lists?

Until when can he play at this level, he is not using much his athleticism but he is more about the skills. Maybe 36? Nevertheless, his quickness is important for him in gaining separation for his step back 3 for instance and in penetration. We saw how he could not do it same way when limping although he was still effective. Nevertheless due to his style of play he should be able to more effective long term a lot more than lets say Trae and Ja etc.

EDIT: I tried to calculate if Luka plays total of 18 years in the NBA. At this rate he would be able to be 3rd all time in assists, 5th in scoring total points, and about 30th in total rebounds.

The key for Luka is to keep shooting FTs as well as recently. And get his 3 point shot also way more consistent. Then his projection could maybe even point to be the all time scoring leader, who knows. And his defense, he was fantastic on defense again, since Brunson started to take some playmaking duties on the offensive end, Luka has excelled as defender.

Key is winning championships however. That's what he will be measured with ultimatively, and his legacy will be defined with.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1486...74502?s=20&t=iTR4kj13F8wUHc2fXW6THw
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-28-2022, 12:38 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1486...74502?s=20&t=iTR4kj13F8wUHc2fXW6THw

Luka is underrated!
Like Reply
Media rank is absolutely silly this year. Thompson shouldn't even qualify as he played like 3 games. They voted Carmelo Anthony as 9th best frontcourt player in the West... Are you serious?
Like Reply
(01-28-2022, 04:27 AM)omahen Wrote: Media rank is absolutely silly this year. Thompson shouldn't even qualify as he played like 3 games. They voted Carmelo Anthony as 9th best frontcourt player in the West... Are you serious?

Guys on Locked on explained it pretty well. We are talking about one, two votes. Its not that bad, considering voting is being done by people like Ramona Shelburne and Kendrick Perkins. I would vote Ja and CP3 ahead of Luka.Maybe even Booker. Its fair.

Doesnt matter anyway. Luka is coasting. I agree with you, that we still lack talent. Everybody knows. Its the same team from second half of 2018/19 season. Just Curry-Richardon-Bullock. And KP will be out sooner or later. Back than it was Luka and G-league and now its supposed to be a veteran team?

But I have a good feeling about this year. Didnt trust Kidd, but at this point I must say Carlisle wouldnt have gotten Mavs any higher. Still not sold, but its looking ok to me. Besides, league is in a terrible state. LAC, LAL, Denver all down, Utah fatigued...

I can dream about first round Memphis and than second round Denver, and Mavs are in WCF... We could also go out in round one against Jazz of course. Next year its gonna be much tougher, when everybody gets back, but Im much more optimistic about this years playoffs then I have been in previous two years. Mavs arent gonna win it all, but there will be some stories written and in next 2,3 years they should make a title run. Luka will be 26 at that point Wink .

Just a hug for my fellow countryman. Had a feeling he was a bit down on Mavs in the last few posts.
[-] The following 6 users Like bodhisattva's post:
  • ballsrchr, burekemde, DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft, omahen, ReunionMav
Like Reply
silly.   I don't get wound up on all star stuff.  But that is pretty poor.  It is one thing to knock Luka for not coming in in peak shape and missing games due to injury, but at the same time you make it look silly when you have Klay Thompson and Dame ranked as the same as Luka.   The rest are ok.   Murry and Edwards are questionable and in the end no one would pick either ever over Luka.    

The Klay and Dame rankings are silly though.
Like Reply