Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.82 Average
HALLELUKA: Luka Clinches All-NBA 1st team. 4th in 5 years
The above stats are team stats in addition to being Luka stats.  Impacted by the scheme, spacing and whether others are scoring. In addition including a big coaching change as a main factor as well as department and income of new players. Reducing a million variables down to one player is difficult. Some of his best performances in NBA come in this season exemplified how well he orchestrated the GS and Bulls wins. This is a top 5 player on the planet. 

There is no doubt that slow start to season was due to him playing all summer long being completely exhausted after that and the playoffs with Clippers. Then the next challenge was the ankle injury. It was all clear in latest games, there is nothing wrong with his shape any longer when he gets some rest for that ankle. But is also clear to that that heavy load from summer and the ankel injury that he cant play at 100% every game in regular season and needs to be smart saving the best for the most important games.

Attack at the rims are difficult when players are not spaced as well. But be sure it will be playoff time and that he will not think about his ankle at that time and will attack the rim better than ever. You always revert to what works best when needed. That goes for the coach as well as Luka.
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
Luka is an all star, but he’s not playing at an all star level this year.  It may be better if he didn’t make it, but I expect he will.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply
I know there are other factors to consider besides the supposed spacing issue, but to me, what is clearly evident is how slow Luka is. Slower than usual. 

No matter how lethal a tank is, if it can't get out of the way of incoming attacks, it's bound to get hit over and over again until it's armor is no longer relevant.

Terrible analogy I know, but this where Luka is at right now. The Tiger took a hit on its tracks, can't move quick enough to effectively counter the puny Shermans.
[-] The following 3 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, fifteenth, Kammrath
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 11:25 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: I know there are other factors to consider besides the supposed spacing issue, but to me, what is clearly evident is how slow Luka is. Slower than usual. 

Yeah, I am with you. I am surprised more folks don't seem to be noticing the difference. Whether it is injury, conditioning, weight, or whatever, he is noticeably the slowest he has been in his career. Then add in the worst shooting of his career and things are not pretty.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1482218160522768385
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...7164519430
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status...1196705796
[-] The following 4 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • burekemde, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs, Tyler
Like Reply
[Image: FJHvRgGXIAAt18l?format=jpg&name=large]
[-] The following 3 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • ClutchDirk, Scott41theMavs, Tyler
Like Reply
Luka orchestrating GS, Bulls and now Memphis wins, some of the best games in career all in recent games. Silencing the haters and showing who the real MVP is.

Luka is on another level than Morant. The really scary thing is that Luka has another gear for playoffs. Once he gets into competitive playoff-like games like these, he turns into a gear higher. Playoff time, it will be yet another gear again. He is playing a lot smarter this year than previous seasons. Not wearing down and playing the higher gears when it should be done to get the important wins.
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1482236756577722368
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 11:25 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: I know there are other factors to consider besides the supposed spacing issue, but to me, what is clearly evident is how slow Luka is. Slower than usual. 

No matter how lethal a tank is, if it can't get out of the way of incoming attacks, it's bound to get hit over and over again until it's armor is no longer relevant.

Terrible analogy I know, but this where Luka is at right now. The Tiger took a hit on its tracks, can't move quick enough to effectively counter the puny Shermans.

(01-13-2022, 11:38 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Yeah, I am with you. I am surprised more folks don't seem to be noticing the difference. Whether it is injury, conditioning, weight, or whatever, he is noticeably the slowest he has been in his career. Then add in the worst shooting of his career and things are not pretty.

It's obvious that he's much slower right now than what we're used to. My guess is that we all see it but some folks don't want to talk about it or, because they're super protective of Luka they don't want to let themselves admit it. But his jog, his run, his moves, his spins, literally everything is slower. 

The causes seem to be pretty clear, and some of them are out of Luka's control. He's played an insane amount of basketball over the past two years, with an insane level of usage and responsibility, and it's taken a toll. His body hasn't had much of a rest and recovery period and he has nagging injuries that look like they'll be with him until he can get an extended rest and recovery time (a legit offseason).

His weight and conditioning appear to be part of the equation as well. So we have a combination of factors that Luka can't control and some factors that we hope maturity will help Luka to learn to control. 

So here's where we're at. Luka can still dominate like he did last night. He's amazing. He's still Luka. He's still one of the best players in the league while slowed down by fatigue, injuries, weight and conditioning. But he's not quite 100% Luka. 

So far this season I've been watching to see if passing time and some games off would result in Luka getting healed up and in better shape, and that we'd suddenly see last season's Luka running around on the court. But this morning I'm thinking that 85% Luka, slower on the court, injured and not in the best shape might just be this seasons Luka. I think he most likely needs an actual offseason to get right. 

But 85% Luka is awesome, the team is improving, and they have stuff they can accomplish this season. And then we have the hope of what Luka with a full offseason and some wisdom from these experiences will show up and do next year.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 4 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, Jmaciscool, Kammrath, michaeltex
Like Reply
Great post @"fifteenth".

The massive shooting regression is the other prong of concern for me. If he is going to be slower (no matter the reasons), he needs to be able to shoot well enough to keep defenses honest. 

If he is still shooting 30% from three (a career worst) come the playoffs, teams are just going to sag off him and clog the lane. I fear the team has very little chance of getting out of the first round this year without a significant improvement in his shooting. The team D might keep them somewhat competitive, but how are they going to score even 90 in a playoff environment without something changing?

And in the last 6 games back from injury break he is shooting 19.5% from three.
Like Reply
(01-15-2022, 12:08 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Great post @"fifteenth".

The massive shooting regression is the other prong of concern for me. If he is going to be slower (no matter the reasons), he needs to be able to shoot well enough to keep defenses honest. 

If he is still shooting 30% from three (a career worst) come the playoffs, teams are just going to sag off him and clog the lane. I fear the team has very little chance of getting out of the first round this year without a significant improvement in his shooting. The team D might keep them somewhat competitive, but how are they going to score even 90 in a playoff environment without something changing?

And in the last 6 games back from injury break he is shooting 19.5% from three.

I think the shooting thing is connected to the injury, fatigue and conditinoing thing. It's mechancial. And some of the parts aren't moving like they used to. 

As far as the future goes, I think we just don't know. If my guess is right, and Luka won't really be 100% Luka until he gets a legit offseason, then the Mavs will have to do the best they can with what they have. And Luka will have to figure out how to be effective without his shot. In a sense, he did that last night but ditching the 3 pt shot when it wasn't falling and beating Memphis in the paint, with midrange, and with passing. That might be his path forward for THIS season, but we just don't know. 

I could be wrong and eventually this season his nagging injuries improve, he gets more life in his legs, and his shot starts falling at some point. 

TLDR answer: I don't know
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply
(01-15-2022, 12:22 PM)fifteenth Wrote: he did that last night but ditching the 3 pt shot when it wasn't falling and beating Memphis in the paint, with midrange, and with passing. That might be his path forward for THIS season, but we just don't know

Yes, I have wanted him to ditch his three point shot (at least cut the attempts down from 8 to 4 per game) for quite awhile. Last night was a testament to what he can do when he ditches the three ball. And maybe I am being too pessimistic, but I fear the playoffs will be a different animal where without an average three point shot from Luka the offense is going to get UGLY. But I might be wrong. He might be able to figure it out. But the key will be him NOT hoisting a whole bunch of threes at a below average percent.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KevinGraySports/stat...9483749381
Like Reply
Luka has transformed this franchise! From tanking to playoff team caliber each season. The guy is a pure winner and leader. This is the best and most physcial Luka has ever been. I can see Dallas contending this season the way Luka and Brunson play together. What exciting times for Mavs!
Like Reply
(01-15-2022, 11:41 AM)fifteenth Wrote: It's obvious that he's much slower right now than what we're used to. ...his jog, his run, his moves, his spins, literally everything is slower. 

(01-15-2022, 12:08 PM)Kammrath Wrote: And in the last 6 games back from injury break he is shooting 19.5% from three.

It's hard to be fast or have lift on your shot with two bad wheels.

https://twitter.com/SloHoopsFan/status/1...2787944457
[-] The following 3 users Like Tyler's post:
  • BasketballJones41, fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-16-2022, 02:59 PM)Tyler Wrote: It's hard to be fast or have lift on your shot with two bad wheels.

https://twitter.com/SloHoopsFan/status/1...2787944457

Thanks....

Although I got a little worried when I saw Luka's girlfriend was walking their dog on the treadmill on instagram....must run in the family Smile

https://i.redd.it/u3lz916hz3c81.jpg
Like Reply
(01-16-2022, 05:08 AM)burekemde Wrote: Luka has transformed this franchise! From tanking to playoff team caliber each season. The guy is a pure winner and leader. This is the best and most physcial Luka has ever been. I can see Dallas contending this season the way Luka and Brunson play together. What exciting times for Mavs!

In general, I agree with what you say.  Luka has indeed transformed this franchise and I like Luka’s increased physicality.  However, for me, the thing that’s keeping me from agreeing that “this is the best….Luka, is his poor 3 point shooting.  IMO he’ll never have a great % because he’s the bail-out play at the end of the clock and Luka has never seen a shot he doesn’t think he can’t make.  But, for him to be his best, he has a to shoot better from range than he has thus far this year.  And there’s still plenty of time left in the season for that to happen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rocky164's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply
(01-16-2022, 09:23 PM)rocky164 Wrote: In general, I agree with what you say.  Luka has indeed transformed this franchise and I like Luka’s increased physicality.  However, for me, the thing that’s keeping me from agreeing that “this is the best….Luka, is his poor 3 point shooting.  IMO he’ll never have a great % because he’s the bail-out play at the end of the clock and Luka has never seen a shot he doesn’t think he can’t make.  But, for him to be his best, he has a to shoot better from range than he has thus far this year.  And there’s still plenty of time left in the season for that to happen.

I agree, great point. His 3pt shooting is terrible at the moment. It also takes away some of his inside game, since the defenders are primarily focused on the paint. This makes it harder to beat the primary defender when penetrating. It's impressive what Luka is doing inside considering his bad 3pt shot. It should be better towards playoffs the 3 point shot like previous years. But we don't know for sure. If it does, it will open even further the inside game when primary defenders need to step up and protect the 3pt shot.
Like Reply