Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: JJ Redick + Nicolo Melli to DAL | JJ + Iwundu + 2021 2nd + cash to NOP
(04-01-2021, 04:33 PM)speedkilz88 Wrote: A hard cap is the only way to fix it.  And that would be a tough negotiation with the union.  Don't see them giving that up.

Maybe they could adjust the luxury tax thresholds and penalties and/or dock draft picks for teams over the cap/over the luxury cap lines.
Like Reply
(03-31-2021, 02:49 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Yup looking like a rental for a few months and that's it. He will want to sign with the Nets in the offseason to be closer to home.

Looking back and thinking forward, I can’t help but wonder if this trade was about creating off-season-above-the-cap maneuverability. 

Can any of you trade experts explain how Brooklyn might pay JJ more than the minimum next year? It’s only with the Mavs' help via a sign & trade, no?

And as long as there is outgoing salary from Brooklyn to whomever (enough to match Redick's incoming deal), isn't that JJ money usable for matching purposes (combined in a 3-way deal) on other Mavs' trades? 

For instance, could a $13mm JJ to Brooklyn s&t be part of a 3-way sending Dwight Powell ($13mm) and Tyrell Terry ($1.3mm) to Toronto for a $30mm s&t Kyle Lowry?

Or instead, could we send $13mm JJ to Brooklyn via s&t while exchanging Melli ($4mm), opt-in WCS ($4mm) and Terry ($1.3mm) for Al Horford ($27mm)?
Like Reply
(04-24-2021, 03:31 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Looking back and thinking forward, I can’t help but wonder if this trade was about creating off-season-above-the-cap maneuverability. 

Can any of you trade experts explain how Brooklyn might pay JJ more than the minimum next year? It’s only with the Mavs' help via a sign & trade, no?

And as long as there is outgoing salary from Brooklyn to whomever (enough to match Redick's incoming deal), isn't that JJ money usable for matching purposes (combined in a 3-way deal) on other Mavs' trades? 

For instance, could a $13mm JJ to Brooklyn s&t be part of a 3-way sending Dwight Powell ($13mm) and Tyrell Terry ($1.3mm) to Toronto for a $30mm s&t Kyle Lowry?

Or instead, could we send $13mm JJ to Brooklyn via s&t while exchanging Melli ($4mm), opt-in WCS ($4mm) and Terry ($1.3mm) for Al Horford ($27mm)?

We have so much cap space that we don't need to match the salaries of those examples you provided. Unless you were planning to use cap space on someone else. 

Assuming Mavs use cap space on someone else: Brooklyn can offer tax payer MLE to Redick, which is around 5,7 mil. If trade with them, they also need to send salary out. To Dallas or someone else. And here is the problem. Jordan would fit, but I don't want anything to do with him and he is buddy, buddy with those Nets stars anyway. Dinwiddie is in the salary range, but he is arguably better. The rest are too expensive or have too little wage. I would be very interested in Claxton or Shamet, with their combined salaries at 5.5 mil. But I think Brooklyn is a big time loser in this kind of trade.
Like Reply
(04-24-2021, 03:45 PM)omahen Wrote: Assuming Mavs use cap space on someone else: Brooklyn can offer tax payer MLE to Redick, which is around 5,7 mil. If trade with them, they also need to send salary out. To Dallas or someone else. And here is the problem. Jordan would fit, but I don't want anything to do with him and he is buddy, buddy with those Nets stars anyway. Dinwiddie is in the salary range, but he is arguably better. The rest are too expensive or have too little wage. I would be very interested in Claxton or Shamet, with their combined salaries at 5.5 mil. But I think Brooklyn is a big time loser in this kind of trade.

The Nets issue is I don't think they are going to be able to use any exceptions bc they are too close to a hard cap. A S&T would also trigger a hard cap. They are in the same boat as the Warriors. The way they will improve is through trades and vet mins, not exceptions and S&Ts.
Like Reply
(04-24-2021, 04:32 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: The Nets issue is I don't think they are going to be able to use any exceptions bc they are too close to a hard cap.

They are way over the tax apron. You can use exception up to tax MLE, roughly 5,7 mil.

(04-24-2021, 04:32 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: A S&T would also trigger a hard cap.

That is true. No S&T for them
Like Reply
(04-24-2021, 04:35 PM)omahen Wrote: They are way over the tax apron. You can use exception up to tax MLE, roughly 5,7 mil.

That is true. No S&T for them

I know you can use the tax MLE but then if you use any exception it means you operate under a hard cap. The Warriors I don't believe used any exceptions this season for that reason.

If they received a S&T for Reddick incoming that would also trigger the hard cap.
Like Reply
(04-24-2021, 06:37 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I know you can use the tax MLE but then if you use any exception it means you operate under a hard cap. The Warriors I don't believe used any exceptions this season for that reason.

If they received a S&T for Reddick incoming that would also trigger the hard cap.

You are right about second part, but not first one. You can use up to tax MLE and not trigger hard cap
Like Reply