Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2021 NBA DRAFT: July 29, 7 pm
(07-30-2021, 01:27 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I don't know, is it bad for him that he wasn't worth a 1st round pick? I mean, he seems like second round pick worthy, but NBA rules prevent him from that. This could be the fuel he needs to get in the NBA in the future. Just needs to improve and get guys around him to help him get there.

Let me say it like this. There a lot of players in europe that are just as young with better individual numbers. The Vrenz talk was more about the rare combination of length and mobilty. Not his current on court level. That´s the typical late 2nd round pick or undrafted guy on a two-way contract or camp invite 10-day deal. Gamble on rare physical gifts and upside.
Like Reply
OK I am not following the Vrenz discussion.  What was stopping a team from drafting him and keeping him overseas?   Is that something he would have to agree to even if he was under contract with another team.

I think his highlights were intriguing but I also think he has a future in marketing as well.   I am sure it sucks to wine and dine over half of the teams in the league and still wind up being undrafted.
Like Reply
(07-30-2021, 01:47 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: OK I am not following the Vrenz discussion.  What was stopping a team from drafting him and keeping him overseas?   Is that something he would have to agree to even if he was under contract with another team.

I think his highlights were intriguing but I also think he has a future in marketing as well.   I am sure it sucks to wine and dine over half of the teams in the league and still wind up being undrafted.

The only way he could come over is with a guaranteed contract.  Check his twitter:

https://twitter.com/Vrenzzz
Like Reply
(07-30-2021, 08:20 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Here are Sam Vecenie Rankings on our four guys we are bringing in.  He rated his top 100.

Hunt- Not rated
EJ Onu- 73-  Good write up on him.  Mentions that if a team is patient could have a similar path as Chris Boucher who took 3 years of slow development.
Carlik Jones 74- Mentions his toughness and would be a lower 2 way target.  Says the key for him is becoming an elite shooter and says right now he is not even a good shooter.   
Eugene Omoruyi- 80- compares him to Eric Paschall but not as athletic or used to switching defensively.  

I guess the one name I was really hoping to see was Moses Wright-Georgia.   When it was announced he worked out with us, I watched his highlights and wasn't blown away.  He is a very good athlete but thought he was similar former mav second round pick Ray Spalding.   It is just so tough to make it in the NBA.  Spalding was athletic, good size and pretty good skills.  But those guys are a dime a dozen, so I sort of had Wright pegged there.  Although I read more on Wright and he got a late start with basketball and was a former swimmer and tennis player.   He got better each year at Tech and this past year was the ACC player of the year.    

He is probably holding out for a guaranteed two way deal, but I would have liked to see him join the rest of the guys.
Well it looks like Moses Wright is playing with Toronto's summer league team.  They also signed Justin Champagnie.   

That is a little higher tiered players then the Mavs and I was hopeful we would be able to come out with one or two.    EJ is intriguing, but I had a little higher expectations.
Like Reply
(07-30-2021, 08:41 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/United9331/status/14...0980318211

@United9331

I think they wanted Garuba and had a path to get him with a late 1st round pick but Houston took him.

Skin Wade was on the Ticket last night and until that pick the war room was loud but as soon as that Garuba pick happened the room was silent.

8:20 AM · Jul 30, 2021

It certainly makes sense that they might want him.  Not sure what "path" they were counting on for a guy mocked in the late lottery who fell to 23.
Like Reply
(07-30-2021, 03:16 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: It certainly makes sense that they might want him.  Not sure what "path" they were counting on for a guy mocked in the late lottery who fell to 23.

Maybe they had a late first round trade partner lined up for the off chance that he fell that far? Or at least they were trying to find a trade partner.
Like Reply
SVG might suck as a coach but he's an awesome dude

https://twitter.com/realStanVG/status/14...9779624964
Like Reply
(07-30-2021, 01:47 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: OK I am not following the Vrenz discussion.  What was stopping a team from drafting him and keeping him overseas?

I think he and his agent were against a "draft and stash"....they didn't want that. NBA didn't allow a two-way....so the only reason to draft him would be to offer him a normal contract. He wants to play in the NBA. 

I think he is a legit NBA prospect and talent from the film, but who knows, there might be personality or character things that kept NBA teams away. Talent isn't everything.
Like Reply