Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PSA: How to quote in a clean and uncluttered way
Bug 
I want to make sure everyone understands one of the best features that Magickian added to this forum as it helps clean up the clutter of quoting another person.

So instead of clicking the "quote" button, highlight ONLY the part of the message you want to quote and then a little box will pop up on the highlight that says "Reply." Click that reply pop up and you will only quote the relevant portion. 

This helps keep our quoting from turning into 3, 4, and 5 nested comments. 

Test it out here in this thread. Only highlight part of my post and then reply to that.

P.S. And yes, you guys in the Preseason Knee Jerk thread are the EXACT reason I am posting this.
Like Reply
(10-15-2019, 11:18 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I want to make sure everyone understands one of the best features that Magickian added to this forum as it helps clean up the clutter of quoting another person.

So instead of clicking the "quote" button, highlight ONLY the part of the message you want to quote and then a little box will pop up on the highlight that says "Reply." Click that reply pop up and you will only quote the relevant portion. 

This helps keep our quoting from turning into 3, 4, and 5 nested comments. 

Test it out here in this thread. Only highlight part of my post and then reply to that.

P.S. And yes, you guys in the Preseason Knee Jerk thread are the EXACT reason I am posting this.

How does this work on iphone?  I tried but no luck
Like Reply
(10-15-2019, 11:18 AM)Kammrath Wrote: This helps keep our quoting from turning into 3, 4, and 5 nested comments. 

nested comments can be fun :-)
Like Reply
@Kamm I am dense, I don't see a pop-up. Also isn't the issue that the reply button quotes by default? It seems like we should disable that by default unless a person explicitly wants to quote.
Like Reply
(10-15-2019, 11:36 AM)ThunderMav Wrote: How does this work on iphone?

Can anyone advise? I do not have an iphone to test.

(10-15-2019, 11:47 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: @Kamm I am dense, I don't see a pop-up.

So after you use your cursor to highlight some of the text a box will pop up connected to the highlighted text. Sometimes I have to click on the highlighted text to get the "Reply" box to pop up on it.
Like Reply
This might be a pop-up issue. I can't get the pop-up thing to work. Chrome flags it as an unsafe script and I can't override?
Like Reply
(10-15-2019, 11:47 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Also isn't the issue that the reply button quotes by default? It seems like we should disable that by default unless a person explicitly wants to quote.

I hadn't noticed this before. Thanks for catching this. It seems the "quote" button is meant to toggle quoting on and off, but I am not getting that to work.

CALLING MAGICKIAN!

[Image: giphy.gif]

(10-15-2019, 11:50 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: This might be a pop-up issue. I can't get the pop-up thing to work. Chrome flags it as an unsafe script and I can't override?

So by "pop up" I do not mean a new pop-up window, I mean just a little box in the window that is part of the window itself. My language choice might have been misleading. 

I use a chromebook exclusively so everything I do in is in chrome and I am not having any issues.
Like Reply
I use iPhone and it works on both Safari and Chrome on my iPhone
Like Reply
(10-15-2019, 11:18 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Only highlight part of my post and then reply to that.

Gotcha....
Like Reply
(10-15-2019, 02:19 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: Gotcha....

Bamanut gets an A+ for his listening.
Like Reply
(10-15-2019, 11:36 AM)ThunderMav Wrote: How does this work on iphone?  I tried but no luck
I just did it here. “Reply” came up right under the highlighted text and worked well so idk what the issue could be.
Like Reply
(10-15-2019, 11:18 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I want to make sure

Me too.
Like Reply
(10-15-2019, 04:08 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I want to make sure

I learned something new today.
Like Reply
(10-15-2019, 04:20 PM)Hypermav Wrote: I want to make sure

Oh, I like changing the quoter! That has sand in vag possibilities.
Like Reply
(10-15-2019, 04:20 PM)Hypermav Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 04:08 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I want to make sure

I learned how to troll today.
Angel
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(10-15-2019, 11:18 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Test it out here in this thread. Only highlight part of my post and then reply to that.
Ah so...it worked.
Like Reply
(10-15-2019, 11:18 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I want to make sure everyone understands one of the best features that Magickian added to this forum as it helps clean up the clutter of quoting another person

It took several tries on safari.

Try 1 afterI highlighted it had no reply option

Try 2 after I highlighted it did a force right screen.  When I tried to move left it just popped me back to right

Try 3 after I highlighted I only got the standard safari options right above highlighted section (copy/paste/lookup)

Try 4 after I highlighted it accidently highlighted some text above.  I pinch zoomed to move the dot to the start of text wanted.  Then the screen did another slow move to right on its own and stayed there.  

Try 5 after I highlighted it wasn’t there but I zoomed out mad then it was there at end of highlighted section.  I selected and nothing.  It took me selecting it about 5 times to finally place it in a reply box.  Lots of work on iphone maybe its my phone and I’ll try to mimic what I did a few times to get better at it
Like Reply
For me this didn't work on the light theme but it did work on the dark theme. Using my laptop

(10-15-2019, 11:18 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Test it out here in this thread. Only highlight part of my post and then reply to that.

Testing to confirm. Yep, really handy feature. Again though it only seemed to work for me on the dark theme for some reason.
"And Peja with the dagger."-balldontliez on 11/15/10 when Peja hit a 3 to put the hornets up 84-75 with 9 MIN LEFT!  Guess who won the game?  That's right, the mavericks." -msu15
Like Reply
(10-15-2019, 11:18 AM)Kammrath Wrote: So instead of clicking the "quote" button, highlight ONLY the part of the message you want to quote and then a little box will pop up on the highlight that says "Reply." Click that reply pop up and you will only quote the relevant portion. 
Testing. Looks like it is working as intended
Like Reply
(10-15-2019, 11:18 AM)Kammrath Wrote: So instead of clicking the "quote" button, highlight ONLY the part of the message you want to quote and then a little box will pop up on the highlight that says "Reply." Click that reply pop up and you will only quote the relevant portion. 

Ahh! Great stuff, thanks a lot Kamm!

On my Android mobile I needed to scroll just a bit to reveive that "Reply" button.
Like Reply