Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 110, Celtics 107
The Luka steal after Jalen's bad pass was almost as critical as the clutch three pointers.  In fact Luka was almost perfect in getting the ball to the right guy down the stretch.  Guys just didn't take advantage of their opportunities, so Luka has to carry.  I love Luka magic but you can't get there without some adversity.  

This game kinda felt like the Houston game when he scored the 11 points down the stretch and abused Capela.
Like Reply
Luka's game-winning shot was incredible.

Luka's game-winning shot called by Coop is *chef's kiss*.

https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/...3054860288
Like Reply
(02-24-2021, 12:03 PM)Tyler Wrote: Luka's game-winning shot was incredible.

Luka's game-winning shot called by Coop is *chef's kiss*.

https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/...3054860288

It's rare to find another announcer that gets me more hyped than Coop calling a gamewinner. Him and Followill are grade A talents.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-24-2021, 02:00 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Him and Followill are grade A talents.

Not sure what's better: @"mavsluvr"'s play by play broadcasts for television or his game recaps here.
Like Reply
Great summary as always, ML!

Some of my notes. Team is a lot better without KP, especially on defense. I figured out something was wrong a while back when team chemistry issues were mentioned for the first time, that the issue had to be KP, and that someone was playing selfish. Team is playing a lot better team basketball, and intensity, without KP. That's just a fact. The defense is a lot better. Im not surprised with the trade rumours at all. Something, some issue, with KP started, already back then in that game, and it was clear KP was an issue in every game since then. I do not believe that issue has been sorted out unfortunately. And as he is simply not playing at the level expected for his contract, there is a high chance he will be traded. Overall, we played great D, until KP came back. We played horrible. KP getting out again, we play great D once again. Not a coincidence. 

Brunson will be a starter next to Luka, sooner or later. He is better than J-Rich already. He brings more skillsets than THJ. With a young player as this, on this high trajectory he is improving with, you absolutely have to give him starts. Making that trajectory even higher, and ensuring its not fading away. Brunson is likely the second best player on this team. Not only that, but for long now, great chemistry is seen, at least on the court, with Luka and JB. We are set at starting guards for the future, and we need to improve the other positions. JB is within the core of this team. What a player and character. He can score in so many ways and even when defended well, that is what makes him great. 

I hope we trade KP to give that third core player of the team next to Luka and Brunson. We are slowly building a championship team.  

We need a great defensive big, that could fit within the system on the offensive end. KP is fitting this sort of on the offensive side, but not defensively. I labeled him as two way player some weeks ago, but seeing him play this season, this is simply not true. He is a one way player. 

Luka, JB, Maxi, DFS, WCS, J-Rich. This I see personally, as our core of two-way players, that have no-trade label in my book. Two way players, that are not injure prone, that are consistent in their game, play with intensity, and great characters. I hope we build around them. J-Rich is the only one on that list i might consider trading, but its clear, he is a good player on both ends and can play better than he is now.
Like Reply
I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I do think KP is a problem right now. I don't think Mavs need to start Jalen necessarily though as long as he is getting basically starter minutes. I like JB getting a lot of 4th quarter time where he as shined lately.

Ideally Luka could get a big that rolls to the rim, plays defense, rebounds and can shoot from outside. If he can't do the last thing, ideally they could at least do the first three. 

KP creates space but I think Luka likes having that roller next to him. Luka always seems to make the right decision.

I am not sure what to do with J Rich. I like him but I don't love him. I also think it would be hard to upgrade him + THJ. If Mavs go all in on Collins and don't get him are they going to lose out on THJ and Rich?
Like Reply
(02-24-2021, 05:49 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: If Mavs go all in on Collins and don't get him are they going to lose out on THJ and Rich?

Almost certainly. The big question though, forgetting all the RFA problems - is Collins really worth the max?
Like Reply
(02-24-2021, 02:03 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Not sure what's better: @"mavsluvr"'s play by play broadcasts for television or his game recaps here.

LOL, this always leaves me laughing
Like Reply
(02-24-2021, 06:56 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: LOL, this always leaves me laughing

When will you admit it, pal?

You can tell us - we keep secrets around here.
Like Reply
(02-24-2021, 06:57 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: When will you admit it, pal?

You can tell us - we keep secrets around here.

hahahaha, smh
Like Reply
(02-24-2021, 04:54 PM)burekemde Wrote: Brunson will be a starter next to Luka, sooner or later. He is better than J-Rich already. He brings more skillsets than THJ. With a young player as this, on this high trajectory he is improving with, you absolutely have to give him starts. Making that trajectory even higher, and ensuring its not fading away. Brunson is likely the second best player on this team. Not only that, but for long now, great chemistry is seen, at least on the court, with Luka and JB. We are set at starting guards for the future, and we need to improve the other positions. JB is within the core of this team. What a player and character. He can score in so many ways and even when defended well, that is what makes him great. 

I hope we trade KP to give that third core player of the team next to Luka and Brunson. We are slowly building a championship team.

Some of those bolded words may get you killed around here. Brave man. Always been a fan of your work burekemde.
Like Reply
(02-24-2021, 11:59 AM)Hypermav Wrote: The Luka steal after Jalen's bad pass was almost as critical as the clutch three pointers.
A fact worth noting. Huge play.
Like Reply
(02-24-2021, 05:49 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I do think KP is a problem right now. I don't think Mavs need to start Jalen necessarily though as long as he is getting basically starter minutes. I like JB getting a lot of 4th quarter time where he as shined lately.

Ideally Luka could get a big that rolls to the rim, plays defense, rebounds and can shoot from outside. If he can't do the last thing, ideally they could at least do the first three. 

KP creates space but I think Luka likes having that roller next to him. Luka always seems to make the right decision.

I am not sure what to do with J Rich. I like him but I don't love him. I also think it would be hard to upgrade him + THJ. If Mavs go all in on Collins and don't get him are they going to lose out on THJ and Rich?
These are interesting questions. 

Despite Brunson's considerable skills, I'm not yet sold on the idea that he can be a big-minutes guy on a contender, due to his size and what you give up defensively when he's out there. His decision-making in high-pressure moments should get better with time, but he's not growing any taller. I could see him having an important Barea-like role on a championship level team. 

If KP can get back to where he used to be physically and stay healthy, he's the guy you're describing as the big whose game really complements Luka's. That's a big if, though. 

I think I'm about where you are on Josh. Good but not great on both ends.
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 11:23 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Despite Brunson's considerable skills, I'm not yet sold on the idea that he can be a big-minutes guy on a contender, due to his size and what you give up defensively when he's out there. His decision-making in high-pressure moments should get better with time, but he's not growing any taller. I could see him having an important Barea-like role on a championship level team. 

I think this is more about the overall lack of talent. These days a legit contender has at least one MVP level player and 1-2 additional allstars. Brunson is a good player and would probably start on a couple of teams but most championship level teams bring players like him of the bench (Rondo/Lakers last season,  VanVleet/Raptors in 2019, Warriors had Livingston).
Like Reply
(02-25-2021, 11:32 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think this is more about the overall lack of talent. These days a legit contender has at least one MVP level player and 1-2 additional allstars. Brunson is a good player and would probably start on a couple of teams but most championship level teams bring players like him of the bench (Rondo/Lakers last season,  VanVleet/Raptors in 2019, Warriors had Livingston).

Yeah, I see Brunson coming off the bench if he's on a top team. Could still be a key rotation player. 

Agree that the better teams usually have quality point guards anchoring their second units.  
Like Reply