Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preseason Knee Jerk Reactions Thread
(10-15-2019, 10:01 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 09:56 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Bobi play spot duty as the 11th and 12 guy

[Image: giphy.gif]

LOL, lo siento mi amigo!

(10-15-2019, 10:37 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 09:56 AM)fifteenth Wrote: [*]Delon, JJackson, Powell, KP, Brunson, Curry, THJ, DFS and Maxi will prove to be a bunch of 4 - 6 level guys rather than a bunch of 7s. 
[*]

That is a hot take. I really hope you're wrong, for Donnie's sake.
[*]

LOL, doggone. That was supposed to be DP, I promise!! I fixed it.

(10-15-2019, 10:46 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: [*]KP hate detected...
[*]

Hate via typo!!!!!!
Like Reply
(10-15-2019, 10:46 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 09:56 AM)fifteenth Wrote: [*]Delon, JJackson, Powell, KP, Brunson, Curry, THJ, DFS and Maxi will prove to be a bunch of 4 - 6 level guys rather than a bunch of 7s. 
[*]

[*]KP hate detected...
[*]

I assume it's a brain fart, but since he rarely makes mistakes, I thought I'd have fun with this one. 

If it isn't a brain fart, SCREW YOU FIF and the horse you rode in on that I will beat even after it's dead!!!!!! Tongue

edit: Well damn, it was just a brain fart.

(10-15-2019, 10:49 AM)fifteenth Wrote: LOL, doggone. That was supposed to be DP, I promise!! I fixed it.

Sooooooooo, now it reads: "Powell, DP"

Go fix that one too!!!
Like Reply
(10-15-2019, 10:55 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
[*]

[*]KP hate detected...
[*]

I assume it's a brain fart, but since he rarely makes mistakes, I thought I'd have fun with this one. 

If it isn't a brain fart, SCREW YOU FIF and the horse you rode in on that I will beat even after it's dead!!!!!! Tongue

(10-15-2019, 10:49 AM)fifteenth Wrote: [*][*]
[*][*]

Go fix that one too!!!
[*][*]

Ha ha!!! I'm a disaster!!!

And IGT, you're wrong, I make mistakes in my posts all the time!!! I might be worse the Fish and his crew at proofreading!
Like Reply
(10-15-2019, 10:17 AM)Jym Wrote: Still blows my mind Luka is only 20.
This is 100% his team. The top dog, the alpha. 
No DeAndre's around this year to fight that.

Yes I have totally noticed this as well in the body language. Everyone defers to Luka and this will be REALLY good for the season's success. A clear alpha is an essential need.
Like Reply
(10-15-2019, 11:10 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 10:55 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
[*]

[*]KP hate detected...
[*]

(10-15-2019, 10:49 AM)fifteenth Wrote: [*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Go fix that one too!!!
[*]
[*]

Ha ha!!! I'm a disaster!!!

And IGT, you're wrong, I make mistakes in my posts all the time!!! I might be worse the Fish and his crew at proofreading!
[*][*]

Haha, I basically proofread right after I get the thoughts out of my head and post cause I've had too many times where I lost a post from misclicks and the like.
Like Reply
(10-15-2019, 11:13 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Haha, I basically proofread right after I get the thoughts out of my head and post cause I've had too many times where I lost a post from misclicks and the like.

I habitually forget to proof read until after a I post *insert head slop emoticon"
Like Reply
(10-15-2019, 09:56 AM)fifteenth Wrote: I actually try not to knee-jerk. But I'll suspend that for this thread...

My knee-jerk hot takes:

• The presence of Delon, DFS, Maxi and KP in the rotation will result in a top 10 defense. 
  • THJ will be closer to the player we saw last night against OKC than the inefficient chucker that most of us have projected him to be. 
  • Delon, JJackson, DP, Brunson, Curry, THJ, DFS and Maxi will prove to be a bunch of 4 - 6 level guys rather than a bunch of 7s. 
  • Luka will shoot 85% from the free throw line
  • Delon will be our 3rd best starter
  • Once everyone is healthy, the strength of the top 10 will mean that JJB and Bobi play spot duty as the 11th and 12 guys

I feel better about Delon Wright after last night. I wonder if we could get to a place where Mavs start Wright, Luka, DFS, Maxi and KP so as to play some decent defense? I am still worried about our interior defense. KP is not really flying around the paint as much as I expected from his career highlight reel. Maxi is looking good, I wonder if he could push for a starting spot at some point. I just feel like an interior of KP and Powell is not going to cut it on defense. I very much wanted Derrick Favors to be KP's running mate out there (still do). I am not convinced this can be an average or better defensive team as constructed.
Like Reply
(10-15-2019, 11:56 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: I feel better about Delon Wright after last night. I wonder if we could get to a place where Mavs start Wright, Luka, DFS, Maxi and KP so as to play some decent defense? I am still worried about our interior defense. KP is not really flying around the paint as much as I expected from his career highlight reel. Maxi is looking good, I wonder if he could push for a starting spot at some point. I just feel like an interior of KP and Powell is not going to cut it on defense. I very much wanted Derrick Favors to be KP's running mate out there (still do). I am not convinced this can be an average or better defensive team as constructed.

I like your proposed starting lineup. It seems like your concern, primarily, is how our bigs will handle interior defense. I'm actually more concerned with how our 2-big lineups will handle the perimeter power forwards (who are now wings much of the time). For that reason I like a Luka/Delon/wing/DFS/KP starting lineup. Looks like that won't happen though.

Regarding interior defense, I think KP will be much better in the regular season than he has been in the pre-season. Also, I think that the effectiveness of our defense will depend a lot on whether or not our lineups can build a good team defense.
Like Reply
Perimeter defense will be a challenge for most teams just because of the way offense is run these days unless you have a top notch defender at every spot its hard to rotate fast enough. There are only a couple of teams I can think of that can pull that off. I see KP replacing Deandre as the "center" as a massive upgrade bc we all know DAJ wasn't closing out on anybody and I do like what I see from KP's close-outs. Powell isn't an amazing defender but he has quick enough feet to rotate around and close out. His interior D isn't great in that he just isn't much of a shot-blocker. I do like that he has gotten a lot stronger in recent years. My hope is that KP and Doncic provide so much offense on their own that Rick can go with better defenders for the other spots and live with what they give him on offense (ie DFS and KP).

We will see. The other thing is that whoever starts is not guaranteed to get a ton of minutes (outside of KP, Doncic), so Rick will go with whatever lineups are working out for him during the game. I wouldn't be surprised if one night he starts Powell but Maxi is bringing it so much off the bench that he sticks with Maxi down the stretch.
Like Reply
Everytime KP falls to the floor; I grasp for air and hope he gets up fine. He's probably containing himself a bit until he feels more comfortable out there. 

I do like Wright, Luka, KP, Maxi in there - not sure who will be the other starter, but; we also have to keep in mind when DP comes back. I'm sure he's going to be pushing to be in the Starters Line-up.
Like Reply
(10-15-2019, 10:07 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: My one knee jerk is that our offense will be better when Powell returns from injury...his threat of rim rolling and setting screens will open up more space for the other starters...also he and Luka had great chemistry last year with Powell converting at a high percentage when Luka was on the court...

Agreed. 

Powell is the missing link to this offense. The sneakiest aspect of his game is his passing ability. Nearly 2 apg in only 22 mins/game is pretty darn good for a big; with another year of improvement plus more minutes, Powell is due for a career season in more ways that one.

Remember DAJ with his nightly Magic Johnson impersonation last season? Powell should fill that role and surpass it with far less turnovers and more efficiency. If his 3PT% can ever become average, look out.
Like Reply
(10-15-2019, 01:32 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Powell is the missing link to this offense.

Yep, and because Mak isn't really here anymore, I am very comfortable making this assertion.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(10-15-2019, 09:56 AM)fifteenth Wrote: I actually try not to knee-jerk. But I'll suspend that for this thread...

My knee-jerk hot takes:

• The presence of Delon, DFS, Maxi and KP in the rotation will result in a top 10 defense. 
  • THJ will be closer to the player we saw last night against OKC than the inefficient chucker that most of us have projected him to be. 
  • Delon, JJackson, DP, Brunson, Curry, THJ, DFS and Maxi will prove to be a bunch of 4 - 6 level guys rather than a bunch of 7s. 
  • Luka will shoot 85% from the free throw line
  • Delon will be our 3rd best starter
  • Once everyone is healthy, the strength of the top 10 will mean that JJB and Bobi play spot duty as the 11th and 12 guys

I want to take a moment to reflect on this... the rosiest of rosy predictions.  If the Mavs somehow are in the top 10 on defense - no matter WHO finds their way into the rotation - they are going to the Finals.  From what we have seen in the preseason (outside of the throwaway game vs OKC), it seems they are more likely headed towards the bottom of the league on defense.  I am hoping for improvement, but there are very few stoppers out on the floor and rebounding issues have amplified that with more opponent possessions.  I hope I am wrong and RC can find a way to make this work.
Like Reply
(10-15-2019, 01:32 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Powell is the missing link to this offense. The sneakiest aspect of his game is his passing ability. Nearly 2 apg in only 22 mins/game is pretty darn good for a big; with another year of improvement plus more minutes, Powell is due for a career season in more ways that one.

Remember DAJ with his nightly Magic Johnson impersonation last season? Powell should fill that role and surpass it with far less turnovers and more efficiency. If his 3PT% can ever become average, look out.

I don't think Powell does as much of the DAJ passing. I am pretty sure that was Rick trying to have DAJ do something useful since defenses would ignore him 10 feet from the basket. Powell tends to hang around the 3 point line to try to stretch the defense.
Like Reply
(10-15-2019, 06:53 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: If the Mavs somehow are in the top 10 on defense - no matter WHO finds their way into the rotation - they are going to the Finals.  From what we have seen in the preseason (outside of the throwaway game vs OKC), it seems they are more likely headed towards the bottom of the league on defense.

I don't think this team has the quality to make play-offs without the grit and grind approach. We could only see this approach in the last game, but as you said, there was a really bad opponent on the other side, so let's not get too excited.

Wright, Lee pairing looked really well defensively, so perhaps it wouldn't be bad to give this pairing another shot tomorrow. If nothing else, showcasing Lee a bit more wouldn't be bad.
Like Reply
(10-16-2019, 08:14 AM)omahen Wrote: Wright, Lee pairing looked really well defensively, so perhaps it wouldn't be bad to give this pairing another shot tomorrow. If nothing else, showcasing Lee a bit more wouldn't be bad.
5 years ago Lee would have been a now brainer for the starting five on this roster. He definitely has the tools for the job.

Question is just if he still can do it. A good try by RC would at least help to send his contract elsewhere.
Like Reply
The starting lineup tonight is the right starting lineup for this team:  KP, Luka, Wright, Brunson, Maxi.  Maybe Powell instead of Maxi.
Like Reply