Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 113, Nuggets 117
MAVERICKS LET ONE SLIP AWAY
LATE-GAME STRUGGLES SURFACE

Goldang it. What a frustrating loss. 

Your Dallas Mavericks mailed it in for the first 24 minutes, came back to capture the lead, but couldn’t hold on. Rats!

GAME STORY

All the COVID guys were still out, although DFS, Powell, and Richardson were on the bench in street clothes. Hopefully, they will be back soon. Very soon. All the best to Maxi. Rick went with a starting lineup of Luka, Brunson, THJ, KP, and WCS. 

Luka lit up the first quarter with 14 points, 5 rebounds, and 7 assists, but the rest of the team looked like doggy doo. After one, they trailed 31-38, going 1-6 from deep, The Nuggets, otoh, hit 59% of their threes and 90% of their free throws.

The second period went from bad to worse. Jalen Brunson gave the team a little lift with 9 points, but the Mavs found themselves on the wrong end of a 58-70 scoreline at the half. Just could not get stops to save their lives. 

In the third quarter, the Dallas men unexpectedly came out with energy, and decided to play some defense. They had chiseled the deficit to 7 at 4:51, when THJ took one for the team, absorbing “contact with the groin” from Jamal Murray. Murray, who had been hammering the Mavs, was ejected. What a gift! Tim took the occasion to finish a run of 11 straight points, to end the quarter with 16. They romped their way to a 36-22 frame, and led 94-92 after three. 

Alas, the Mavs’ familiar fourth-quarter woes appeared, and they just couldn’t score, putting only 19 points up in the frame. However, they did manage to make a little comeback in the middle of the period, and trailed by only 2 at the 5:00 mark, with a James Johnson reverse layup tying the game a couple seconds later, and a Luka pull-up giving Dallas a 2-point lead at 3:53.

Then, the Mavs’ end-game klutziness was in full bloom. The next offensive possessions were as follows: Johnson missed three; Luka lost ball turnover; THJ missed three, Johnson offensive rebound, KP offensive foul turnover; KP one of two free throws; KP bad pass turnover; KP missed three, THJ offensive rebound, THJ one of two free throws. By then, the Mavs had to play the intentional foul game, and the Nuggets made their free throws. Dallas scored two points in that stretch, consisting of two of four free-throw attempts. Gag. 

STATISTICS

The Mavs had another mediocre three-point night, hitting only 11 of their 32 attempts. In point differentials, they were +10 on points from twos, -12 on points from threes, and -2 in made free throws. They had a dismal night on the glass, giving up 14 offensive boards and being out-rebounded 49-34. The leading scorers were Luka with 35 points, THJ 19, KP and Johnson 16 each, and Brunson 12. The players on the floor in the clutch were Luka, Burke, Hardaway, Johnson, and WCS/KP. 

PLAYERS

DONCIC. The Mavs squandered a spectacular triple-double from Luka, who had 35/11/16, to go with 4 steals. He had three triples, and was an awesome 10-10 from the line. He was not awarded a free throw attempt in the second half, which I found perplexing. Asked to address the problems in the clutch after the game, he simply said that no team is going to close every game well. He indicated that the team had met after the game, and several people, including Rick, had spoken, but what is said in the locker room stays in the locker room. Rick himself did not want to dwell on Luka’s performance, saying that individual stat lines don’t mean anything if the team spirit isn’t right. 

HARDAWAY. Timmy had 19 points and 7 rebounds. Although he did not shoot especially well overall (7-18), he saved the team’s bacon in the third period. He did not want to discuss the flagrant foul against him, and denied that the foul served as any particular motivation. 

PORZINGIS. It was a very poor night from KP, by his standards. He did have 16 points, but was 6-18, and 1-8 from three. He had only 6 rebounds in 33 minutes, turned the ball over three times, including twice down the stretch, and was in foul trouble in the fourth quarter. He was no match for Jovic. 

JOHNSON. Johnson had a decent game off the bench, contributing 16 points on 7-8 shooting. Rick threw some praise his way after the game, describing him as “one of our fighters,” having a presence, being physical and unselfish, and always battling. Rick acknowledged that James had made some mistakes, but said he made a “very good effort,” and “his heart was in the right place.”

BRUNSON. Jalen had 12 points, and was perfect from the floor and the line, but had some trouble holding his own defensively and did not appear in crunch time. 

WCS played 27 minutes, and had 2 points and 3 boards. He actually had about as decent a defensive night as one could expect against Jovic, but missed all three of his shot attempts and both of his free throws. I keep watching Willie miss shots at point-blank range, and I don’t think it’s solely a strength issue. I think he is just doing something fundamentally wrong. Luka serves him up layups and dunks on a platter, and he just has to make those. That said, I think he had a respectable defensive performance, considering. 

HONORABLE MENTIONSBURKE had a decent night, with 9 points on 4-6 shooting, and was on the floor at the end of the game. IWUNDU had three boards in 16 minutes, and BOBI made a three-minute cameo. I expected to see more of Boban in this game, but I guess it just wasn’t working out, not that anything else was when he played. 

DENVER. The Nuggets are a darn good team, and really outplayed the Mavs. If anything was surprising, it was honestly that the game was so close. Michael Porter, Jr. had 30 points off the bench, Jokic was somewhat contained with 20 points and 10 boards, and three other Nuggets scored in double figures. It kills me that Dallas did not take advantage of this opportunity to steal one. 

OBSERVATIONS

Rick said that the third quarter was one of the team’s best quarters of the year. However, he described the first half as “very poor,” commenting that the ball didn’t move, the players were distracted, they didn’t help each other defensively, and were “very disappointing.” He observed that the Mavs just didn’t play well enough in the fourth quarter to win, making mistakes and not able to score. However, he thought that the team’s “spirit” was much better in the second half, and at least they were “playing the right way.”

Folks, I don’t want to be a downer, but I have serious concerns at this point. I think the question now is not whether this team can make a deep playoff run, but whether they can make the playoffs at all. It’s not just in reaction to this game. It’s been coming. They are 8-9, and in 10th place in the West a quarter of the way through the season. They just don't look good. The COVID guys will trickle back soon, hopefully, but things are not going to instantly turn around the minute they get on the court. It will be a process getting the chemistry back, and I could easily see that taking at least a couple of weeks. And with the games coming so thick and fast, they’re going to mostly have to work the kinks out during matches. Yikes!

Well, hopefully, I am just experiencing an irrational burst of pessimism, and Luka and the boys will make me look silly very soon. I would love that. Anyone is welcome to persuade me I am overreacting. 

Next up are two games against Utah, followed by a two-game series against the Suns. Not getting any easier. Fasten your seat belts, Mavs fans!

Hoping for better times, I will catch up with you MFFLs again on Wednesday. Until then. 
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 02:35 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Folks, I don’t want to be a downer, but I have serious concerns at this point. I think the question now is not whether this team can make a deep playoff run, but whether they can make the playoffs at all. It’s not just in reaction to this game. It’s been coming. They are 8-9, and in 10th place in the West a quarter of the way through the season. The COVID guys will trickle back soon, hopefully, but things are not going to instantly turn around the minute they get on the court. It will be a process getting the chemistry back, and I could easily see that taking at least a couple of weeks. And with the games coming so thick and fast, they’re going to mostly have to work the kinks out during matches. Yikes!

I have been feeling like this, too, and made a similar comment in the game thread. We could be some very depressed fans in two weeks. I sure hope not though.
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 02:35 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Next up are two games against Utah, followed by a two-game series against the Suns. Not getting any easier. Fasten your seat belts, Mavs fans!

Might be the most important week of the season. Going 1-3 would be bad. Going 0-4 might be enough to end the playoff dream. Really difficult to make a comeback once a team falls 4-5 games behind.
Like Reply
Extremely unlikely that the Mavs fall out of the top 10 play-in games IMO, too many tanking teams for that. Still, having the postseason come down to one game would be really bad.
Like Reply
The rollercoaster of feelings this board has depending on a couple of wins or couple of losses Smile Mavs win two in a row and they are contenders. Lose two and they will not make playoffs. Yes, next 4 games are tough. But, we have Atlx2, GSWx2, Minnesota and New Orleans in the next 6 games following. So perhaps, no matter how next 4 games go, 10 games result will not be that bad. We haven't played Minnesota, Sacramento, Memphis, OKC and New Orleans yet - arguably worst teams in the West. We still have both games against Detroit and Washington... 

Game against Denver was ok. They are a good team. Misses were Chicago (twice), Houston and Charlotte. Let's just hope Mavs have filled the quota for losing against the tanking teams.
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 03:25 AM)omahen Wrote: The rollercoaster of feelings this board has depending on a couple of wins or couple of losses Smile Mavs win two in a row and they are contenders. Lose two and they will not make playoffs. Yes, next 4 games are tough. But, we have Atlx2, GSWx2, Minnesota and New Orleans in the next 6 games following. So perhaps, no matter how next 4 games go, 10 games result will not be that bad. We haven't played Minnesota, Sacramento, Memphis, OKC and New Orleans yet - arguably worst teams in the West. We still have both games against Detroit and Washington... 

Game against Denver was ok. They are a good team. Misses were Chicago (twice), Houston and Charlotte. Let's just hope Mavs have filled the quota for losing against the tanking teams.

Late season comebacks are difficult and the sample size is getting bigger. The missing players won´t turn the Mavs into a completly different team over night. They need to be integrated again. On paper the Mavs aren´t as bad as they look and the schedule wasn´t friendly but I really don´t fancy the Mavs chances if they end up 4-5 games below 0.500. That obviously is not a given but winning more than one game vs the Jazz and Suns will be extremly difficult.
I tend to be one of the more pessimistic posters on this board but something needs to change. Looking at the post game comments from RC and the players they have similar thoughts.
Like Reply
Folks, I don’t want to be a downer, but I have serious concerns at this point. I think the question now is not whether this team can make a deep playoff run, but whether they can make the playoffs at all. It’s not just in reaction to this game. It’s been coming. They are 8-9, and in 10th place in the West a quarter of the way through the season. They just don't look good. The COVID guys will trickle back soon, hopefully, but things are not going to instantly turn around the minute they get on the court. It will be a process getting the chemistry back, and I could easily see that taking at least a couple of weeks. And with the games coming so thick and fast, they’re going to mostly have to work the kinks out during matches. Yikes!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/proxy/...aAWJG=s0-d

Please press REMEMBER:

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...00902?s=20

Those concerns are alive from first mavs covid protocol case and effecting mavs since then big time. And yes it will take time to get back on track after all guys will be on board. But for now they are not doing beyond repair bad. When in full power and they will not be able to bounce back than will be time for conclusions. They are racing daytona500 atm with 3wheels car and they even win race here and there...

@"mavsluvr" thank you
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 03:25 AM)omahen Wrote: The rollercoaster of feelings this board has depending on a couple of wins or couple of losses Smile Mavs win two in a row and they are contenders. Lose two and they will not make playoffs. Yes, next 4 games are tough. But, we have Atlx2, GSWx2, Minnesota and New Orleans in the next 6 games following. So perhaps, no matter how next 4 games go, 10 games result will not be that bad. We haven't played Minnesota, Sacramento, Memphis, OKC and New Orleans yet - arguably worst teams in the West. We still have both games against Detroit and Washington... 

Respectfully, I'm not sure the Mavs are in any position to be looking down their nose at all those teams you're sneering at.
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 05:28 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: I'm not sure the Mavs are in any position to be looking down their nose at all those teams you're sneering at.

Well, Mavs have 8 wins. Minnesota has 4, New Orleans 5, Sacramento 6, Detroit 4, Washington 3. I guess we can say Mavs are better. Of course this doesn't mean it is enough for Mavs to just show up.
Like Reply
This loss is on both bigs: KP and WCS. The lack of rebounding is clear and scary. They're afraid to go up there and rebound. And when they try (and don't succeed), it leaves their man wide open for the easy put back offensive rebounding. I counted at least 12 EASY points given on that end. Their perimeter defense is laughable. Our best defender right now is probably Luka. Are you kidding me?

RC, listen bud your PnR defense is by far the worst in the league. We just switch and get scored everytime. Very rare we fight through screens or force bad decisions. It's their guard just cruising on one of our bigs, or their bigs posting up our guards, or their bigs wide-open for 3. Also, do not agree with Green not having minutes instead of Iwundu.

That being said, I'm very confident we make the playoffs (at least the play-in) because we get our guys back (overall game should be way better without 2nd and 3rd stringers getting huge minutes) and our schedule should be one of the easiest on the second part (after the PHO games we'll have had the 2nd toughest). Actually we have the expected W-L (8-9). We just have to survive this brutal early matchups (tonight is a game I didn't expect to win, but with the circunstances of the game we should have won).
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 05:45 AM)omahen Wrote: Well, Mavs have 8 wins. Minnesota has 4, New Orleans 5, Sacramento 6, Detroit 4, Washington 3. I guess we can say Mavs are better. Of course this doesn't mean it is enough for Mavs to just show up.

Hope I didn't come across as snapping at you, omahen. Keep looking on the sunny side!
Like Reply
The positives:

- Third quarter was the best quarter of the season by far, imho. Great defensive sequences and the right spirit. Shows that the guys can do it, the question is, why can't they sustain it?

- Luka being Luka

The negatives:

- I have concerns about the chemistry - the indicators point to some things being wrong. Lack of effort at times, being out of sync. They were celebrating the chemistry early on and the bench seems very much into it - alas it won't trainspire to playing good basketball.

- WCS played pretty ok defense against Jokic but offensively, he's a black hole. We desperately need Maxi back and pray for him and Porzinigs working out to play together. Powell looked washed up and I don't see any other option left.

It is really, really difficult for me to understand why they look so inconsistent, I am a little lost for words right now, tbh.
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 08:13 AM)aguiar95 Wrote: This loss is on both bigs: KP and WCS. The lack of rebounding is clear and scary. They're afraid to go up there and rebound. And when they try (and don't succeed), it leaves their man wide open for the easy put back offensive rebounding. I counted at least 12 EASY points given on that end. Their perimeter defense is laughable. Our best defender right now is probably Luka. Are you kidding me?

RC, listen bud your PnR defense is by far the worst in the league. We just switch and get scored everytime. Very rare we fight through screens or force bad decisions. It's their guard just cruising on one of our bigs, or their bigs posting up our guards, or their bigs wide-open for 3. Also, do not agree with Green not having minutes instead of Iwundu.

That being said, I'm very confident we make the playoffs (at least the play-in) because we get our guys back (overall game should be way better without 2nd and 3rd stringers getting huge minutes) and our schedule should be one of the easiest on the second part (after the PHO games we'll have had the 2nd toughest). Actually we have the expected W-L (8-9). We just have to survive this brutal early matchups (tonight is a game I didn't expect to win, but with the circunstances of the game we should have won).
Yes, if we're pointing fingers, KP and WCS would be big targets. Just a miserable performance.

For a team that is supposed to have such a defensive foundation, you wouldn't necessarily know it to watch. Before the game, one of the Mavs media (maybe Coop?) posted that the Mavs are 25th or below in points allowed, 3-point percentage allowed, and defensive rating. They allowed 70 points in the first half. I don't know how many open shots they allowed MPJ, but Rick cited those as an example of their "mistakes." If this is what they gave up their electric offense for, I'm not too sure it's all it's cracked up to be. 

I have been writing for many games that the ship should right itself once the whole crew gets back, and I actually still believe this, but a fourth of the season has gone by, and things haven't really gotten better. I do think things will substantially improve simply by right-sizing the second and third stringers' roles. But I have to question how much ground they will be able to make up if this goes on much longer.  

Maybe you are right, and making the play-in game represents a realistic level of expectation now. If that's the case, it involves a certain amount of adjustment for fans who probably mostly expected better. But if that's the case, that's the case. 

Hopefully, if they can keep treading water until this brutal stretch is behind them, they can get it together and we can see who this team really is. I truly believe they could surprise us, but they'll have to play better than this, and they probably will.
Like Reply
Yeah, the defensive benefit of the length and toughness of Maxi and DFS have now come into sharp relief.  Teams are just basically bowling right through the Mavs' defense these days.  Unfortunately, my only hope for this season is that they both can come back soon and play at their prior level.  Everything changes with their presence on the floor.
Like Reply
Shoot better, rebound more, get healthy.
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 09:27 AM)meistermatze Wrote: - WCS played pretty ok defense against Jokic but offensively, he's a black hole. We desperately need Maxi back and pray for him and Porzinigs working out to play together. Powell looked washed up and I don't see any other option left.

It is really, really difficult for me to understand why they look so inconsistent, I am a little lost for words right now, tbh.
Yeah, I think the Mavs hoped not to be in the position of having to rely on WCS for big minutes. But, it is what it is. I think Maxi and KP can play together. I kind of hope that Powell can still play.

It is still confounding that they continue to collapse late in games. This team should be able to score at any time, and they just can't. Plus the debacle at the end, when they had what passes these days for a decent lineup on the floor. 

Hopefully, they'll be healthy and firing on all cylinders for that play-in game. (jk)
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 09:27 AM)meistermatze Wrote: I have concerns about the chemistry - the indicators point to some things being wrong.

I thought JJ's quote in the post-game was potentially telling:

“I think we were able to hold each other accountable and use that as a spark instead of fighting among each other.”

There might be nothing here OR he might have inadvertently revealed that the Mavs have had some in-fighting in the locker room this season. Frankly that wouldn't surprise me one bit because I agree that something in the chemistry looks askew.
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 04:04 PM)Kammrath Wrote: There might be nothing here OR he might have inadvertently revealed that the Mavs have had some in-fighting in the locker room this season. Frankly that wouldn't surprise me one bit because I agree that something in the chemistry looks askew.

For sure!

Serious question: With as much vague talk we've gotten from Carlisle and others about "team basketball," "moving the ball" and "unselfish play," I'm wondering if some of it is directed at Doncic. I mean, it COULD be all about the others not stopping the ball, and there have been plenty of examples of several people doing so, but I wonder if a big part of the problem has simply been that THIS group isn't quite as happy to just watch Luka do his thing as last year's group was.

Just a random thought - I'm definitely not trying to make a claim.
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 04:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: With as much vague talk we've gotten from Carlisle and others about "team basketball," "moving the ball" and "unselfish play," I'm wondering if some of it is directed at Doncic. I mean, it COULD be all about the others not stopping the ball, and there have been plenty of examples of several people doing so, but I wonder if a big part of the problem has simply been that THIS group isn't quite as happy to just watch Luka do his thing as last year's group was.

Had the same thought myself. 

It would be interesting to track how many possessions happen per game where only one person touches the ball. I personally think that should NEVER happen except in two instances:

1) It is an opportunity for a 2-for-1 at the end of a quarter.

2) Luka breaks down the D on the pick and roll and gets a layup.

THAT'S IT. Anything outside of that would be piss me off as a coach. As a fan I cannot stand the times Luka is the only one to touch the ball and shoots a three (except for 2-for-1). UGH.
Like Reply
(01-26-2021, 09:27 AM)meistermatze Wrote: have concerns about the chemistry - the indicators point to some things being wrong. Lack of effort at times, being out of sync. They were celebrating the chemistry early on and the bench seems very much into it - alas it won't trainspire to playing good basketball.

Agreed. Something looks off. 

I don't know what it is. On the surface everything seems okay. Some potential concerns could be KP wanting a bigger role on the offense. Perhaps Brunson also wants a larger slice of the pie. Luka could be getting annoyed at his teammates not making the right play. 

I don't know

(01-26-2021, 04:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: With as much vague talk we've gotten from Carlisle and others about "team basketball," "moving the ball" and "unselfish play," I'm wondering if some of it is directed at Doncic.

If RC is trying to criticize Luka about not playing "team basketball" or isn't "moving the ball" or is being "selfish" (not saying you're making the assertion, but IF Carlisle is), then I really don't know what else Luka has to do.

I might be missing it totally but I find Luka is always trying to move the ball. Of course there are moments when he is just looking to score but I mean can you blame him when the team is struggling and he can score 30 every night? 

What would RC be seeing that everyone else I assume is missing? 

OR we're probably just reading into some generic basketball platitudes that RC is using to avoid commenting on what's really going on in that locker room.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply