Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 104, Hornets 93
(01-14-2021, 11:44 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Just enormous, if he can do it consistently. 

Questions were asked about how Luka was sold on developing this aspect of his game. Devin Harris said it was a matter of pride -- Luka didn't want to be considered the weak link, having to be hidden on the defensive end of the floor. Rick said Luka didn't really have to be sold, but that he has come to understand that it is part of his leadership responsibility to set the tone. Luka sounded like he has bought into that.

However, it happened, kudos to all involved for the evolving transformation.

I think it was that Lakers game. They relentlessly attacked us using whoever Luka was guarding. Or even switching to get Luka on the ball handler. It was that game where afterwards ESPN put up that home alone meme making fun of him

Overall though, it was identified during and after the Clippers series that defense and toughness were our missing links. We went out and added some personnel to fit that commitment. Makes it easier for Luka to buy in when there’s an organizational and team commitment.
Like Reply
(01-14-2021, 12:02 PM)Tyler Wrote: Agreed.

I noticed several times last night that Green looked a little confused about where to be in the offensive set and people were pointing him in the right direction. 

Green looks like a "dog just chasing cars" on offense, as Bill Parcells used to say.   He doesn't know what the hell he's doing, but he's doing it energetically.
Like Reply
(01-14-2021, 12:31 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: I think it was that Lakers game. They relentlessly attacked us using whoever Luka was guarding. Or even switching to get Luka on the ball handler. It was that game where afterwards ESPN put up that home alone meme making fun of him

Overall though, it was identified during and after the Clippers series that defense and toughness were our missing links. We went out and added some personnel to fit that commitment. Makes it easier for Luka to buy in when there’s an organizational and team commitment.
Yes, someone talked last night about Luka's realizing that, if he didn't improve defensively, opponents would feast on attacking him on  every possession. 

Excellent observation on the organizational commitment. The FO doing their part, and Luka/Carlisle doing theirs. Great to see those efforts coming to fruition.
Like Reply
(01-14-2021, 09:25 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Green seems reluctant or unable to finish plays aggressively in the paint

A massive and glaring weakness from Green. It showed in the college film and that is why both you and I were NOT high on him. I love so much about him, but if cannot finish around the rim at all, it will limit his upside significantly.
Like Reply
(01-14-2021, 11:18 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think WCS/KP looked pretty good last night, but it was against Charlotte. I don't feel like it's going to work against very many teams

So what won't work about it? If DP+KP worked REALLY well last year, talk me through the issue with WCS+KP please.
Like Reply
It was reported Burke will start but it was actually THJ who started. Burke came of the bench.

I wish they were dunks, Im pretty sure those were 2 lay ups  

LOVE the sharp-eyed readers on this board. And I even mentioned Burke's minutes off the bench, and idly wondered during the game whether Green even COULD dunk. Wandering off to find my meds, la la la la,  . . . .
Like Reply
(01-14-2021, 02:21 PM)Kammrath Wrote: So what won't work about it? If DP+KP worked REALLY well last year, talk me through the issue with WCS+KP please.

I think that when the ball is in the paint, the combo of KP and WCS is superior to KP/Kleber, KP/Powell, KP/Johnson or KP/DFS. Maybe not by leaps and bounds, but superior. 

But, I think WCS and KP are both less effective than ANY of those guys at recovering back out to the perimeter when the ball is passed out of that situation, or at defending the variety of situations they're likely to run into before the ball gets to the paint. In KP's case, I believe this is due to a slight lack of foot speed, relative to the others. In WCS's case, he might have the lightness of foot to accomplish what's needed, but I frankly still don't trust his basketball IQ or instincts against the good teams. 

All of this is to say that while WCS has officially won me over in that I think he should remain in the rotation, I still don't view the two of them as a tandem who can play together REGULARLY. I think that in the playoffs, it will be difficult enough to keep either of them from getting killed in certain matchups, let alone both at once. 

I DID like the rebounding and size advantage the Mavs clearly had in this game, however, and the offensive fit is fine. Good, even. I admit that it the combo is a usable tool to have in the tool belt.
Like Reply
(01-14-2021, 07:22 AM)meistermatze Wrote: It will be interesting to see how sustainable Timmy's shooting is. If he keeps his curretn pace of about 18 points on 43% on triples, he's a legit third option or a legit 6th man candidate. I think even if he cooles down a little, JRich and him combined will give you a decent third and fourth option on offense.
I know Timmy isn't much of a fan fave around here, but I have come to appreciate the importance of his role, and think he fills it better than any of the other complementary players can. 

The team needs a couple guys besides Luka whom they can depend on for 15-20 ppg, rather than having to hope that someone from the supporting cast will step up from night to night. Preferably guys who can score from anywhere on the court. Tim is making visible efforts to expand his game, and is not just the designated spot-up shooter. As you say, he seems to be a good third option and would also be a good sixth man. Would be a suitable alternate with Richardson when O/D substitutions are being made. 

Off to get my fireproof jacket, in anticipation of getting flamed.
Like Reply
(01-14-2021, 03:48 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I know Timmy isn't much of a fan fave around here, but I have come to appreciate the importance of his role, and think he fills it better than any of the other complementary players can. 

THANK YOU MARK FOLLOWIL.
Like Reply
(01-14-2021, 03:51 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: THANK YOU MARK FOLLOWIL.

Dude, you can't keep telling the world that Clark Kent is Superman!! There is a reason our heros have to have secret identities.
Like Reply
(01-14-2021, 03:51 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: THANK YOU MARK FOLLOWIL.

(01-14-2021, 03:55 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Dude, you can't keep telling the world that Clark Kent is Superman!! There is a reason our heros have to have secret identities.

Team media should have the players' backs. 

hahaha, you guys keep me rofl
Like Reply
(01-14-2021, 03:51 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: MARK FOLLOWIL

I will say that he definitely seems to have media credentials because he knows what the players and RC have said in interviews before they are publicly available.......

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=17990753]
Like Reply
(01-14-2021, 03:07 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I still don't view the two of them as a tandem who can play together REGULARLY.

RC said in the post game interview that they had talked to KP and told him he was going to be playing more 4 than last year and RC specifically said that was even before DP and Maxi were out. He seemed to imply that the intent is to split KP between 4 and 5 (he said he would be playing some 5) and my read is that KP might play slightly more 4 than 5 this year (at least that sounds like the plan they will explore). RC said again that WCS has earned the right to start and that the evidence going back to last year is that they are a much better defensive team when WCS plays.
Like Reply
(01-14-2021, 04:10 PM)Kammrath Wrote: RC said in the post game interview that they had talked to KP and told him he was going to be playing more 4 than last year and RC specifically said that was even before DP and Maxi were out. He seemed to imply that the intent is to split KP between 4 and 5 (he said he would be playing some 5) and my read is that KP might play slightly more 4 than 5 this year (at least that sounds like the plan they will explore). RC said again that WCS has earned the right to start and that the evidence going back to last year is that they are a much better defensive team when WCS plays.

I heard the same, and I DO agree that he'll play some 4 and some 5. 

I think connecting those two ideas into one (KP playing 4 some and WCS earning minutes) is slight confirmation bias on your part. But, we'll see. 

When asked the same question, KP answered that (paraphrasing) it didn't really matter, but that he felt he was most effective in "trail position." I took that to mean he prefers NOT to run to the rim in transition, but rather to essentially be the last mavs player onto the offensive side of the floor. This can create mismatches on the perimeter with or without another big who IS running to the rim, and it puts him in position to run actions with Luka above the break much earlier in the shot clock. It has the added benefit of not requiring him to run the last third of the court twice (once to the rim and once back). I believe that this points to him thinking that he'd prefer to play with a Kleber/DFS type, as they're much more ideal spacing offensively if KP is involved as the main screener. 

Regardless, I often think there's a huge disconnect between what reporters mean when they ask these questions and what the coach/players mean with how they choose to answer them. It's such a complicated sport, and I think it's common for communication to completely fail without either party realizing it. 

Again, I think that KP/WCS CAN play together. Now, we know they believe that, and we know the coach does, too. You were right about that. I will have to see like 20-30 games before I'm a believer in it as the Mavs' REGULAR approach, and not just alternative, bigger lineup. Frankly, I'm skeptical that the pairing will get significant time (starting or closing) in that many games TOTAL.

EDIT: I'll go as far as to say the tandem worked well enough to have me reconsidering the idea that starting Kleber might be the answer. I was previously loathe to imagine taking Kleber away from the bench group, as I valued his shooting and versatility as a weapon in waiting, ensuring the team could play effectively through the entire game. But, with the knowledge that WCS/KP can play some together, we now know that WCS can spell EITHER KP or Kleber effectively, so to me, that opens up even more options, including starting Kleber. I hope that makes sense. I have a tendency to use too many words to make a point.
Like Reply
@"KillerLeft" do you really think RC would more than once publicly say (and go out of his way to say) that WCS has earned the right to start and then just turn around and move him to the bench? 

That is a serious question. When I hear RC be so bold about WCS earning the right to start that makes me strongly think WCS will be the starter moving forward. In all of RC's years in DAL I have rarely heard him say such language and he doesn't throw that kind of language out there lightly IMO.
Like Reply
(01-14-2021, 04:48 PM)Kammrath Wrote: @"KillerLeft" do you really think RC would more than once publicly say (and go out of his way to say) that WCS has earned the right to start and then just turn around and move him to the bench? 

That is a serious question. When I hear RC be so bold about WCS earning the right to start that makes me strongly think WCS will be the starter moving forward. In all of RC's years in DAL I have rarely heard him say such language and he doesn't throw that kind of language out there lightly IMO.

I think he has said that WCS has "earned the right to play" much more often. So far, I've taken the starter comments to mean "right now" (before KP came back, while 5 guys are sidelined for quarantine, etc). 

But, you might be right. 

I'm shocked that you've observed Carlisle for this long and think he believes strongly in ANY starting lineup fewer than 20 games into the season. I'd bet we'll see 5-6 more different combos before he settles on one.
Like Reply
(01-14-2021, 04:48 PM)Kammrath Wrote: @"KillerLeft" do you really think RC would more than once publicly say (and go out of his way to say) that WCS has earned the right to start and then just turn around and move him to the bench? 

Has he said that WCS has the "right to start"? What I have heard him say is that WCS has earned a "starting opportunity," and I had thought he chose his words advisedly. I don't hear everything he says, and it's certainly possible that I  missed something, but like you, I would be really surprised by Rick announcing that anyone has a right to start. 

WCS still may start on any given night, but I am surprised if he has been given some kind of entitlement to the position.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...33799?s=20
Like Reply
(01-14-2021, 03:07 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think that when the ball is in the paint, the combo of KP and WCS is superior to KP/Kleber, KP/Powell, KP/Johnson or KP/DFS. Maybe not by leaps and bounds, but superior. 

But, I think WCS and KP are both less effective than ANY of those guys at recovering back out to the perimeter when the ball is passed out of that situation, or at defending the variety of situations they're likely to run into before the ball gets to the paint. In KP's case, I believe this is due to a slight lack of foot speed, relative to the others. In WCS's case, he might have the lightness of foot to accomplish what's needed, but I frankly still don't trust his basketball IQ or instincts against the good teams. 

All of this is to say that while WCS has officially won me over in that I think he should remain in the rotation, I still don't view the two of them as a tandem who can play together REGULARLY. I think that in the playoffs, it will be difficult enough to keep either of them from getting killed in certain matchups, let alone both at once. 

I DID like the rebounding and size advantage the Mavs clearly had in this game, however, and the offensive fit is fine. Good, even. I admit that it the combo is a usable tool to have in the tool belt.

It was fun watching those 2 go for blocks and rebounds. I am good with WCS or Maxi in that spot. Maxi to me is a little better of a fit. With the emergence of JJ I don't think Rick feels compelled to keep Maxi on the bench to fill the stretch 4 when KP sits. Clearly Mavs are in good hands with JJ out there. That means that WCS and Powell would fight for backup 5 minutes. I think this is the scenario that is likliest to happen.

Something like:

Luka, Rich, DFS, Maxi, KP

Then main subs: Burke, THJ, JJ, WCS, Powell with Green fighting for some minutes as well.
Like Reply
(01-14-2021, 04:59 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: WCS still may start on any given night, but I am surprised if he has been given some kind of entitlement to the position.

There you have it, @"Kammrath"! Our resident insider play by play man has spoken!
Like Reply