Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 104, Hornets 93
(01-14-2021, 04:59 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Has he said that WCS has the "right to start"? What I have heard him say is that WCS has earned a "starting opportunity,"

He did say, "He's earned the minutes. He's earned the opportunity to start." So yeah much closer to your language. I was just paraphrasing, but you were there on the call, so you should know. 

I am not saying that RC won't play with lineups moving forward, but that still sounds like WCS will continue to start for the time being. I could be way off. Let me know if you have a different sense coming from the inside of the Mavs headquaters.
Like Reply
(01-14-2021, 06:22 PM)Kammrath Wrote: He did say, "He's earned the minutes. He's earned the opportunity to start." So yeah much closer to your language. I was just paraphrasing, but you were there on the call, so you should know. 

I am not saying that RC won't play with lineups moving forward, but that still sounds like WCS will continue to start for the time being. I could be way off. Let me know if you have a different sense coming from the inside of the Mavs headquaters.

hahahaha, omg
Like Reply
(01-14-2021, 06:22 PM)Kammrath Wrote: He did say, "He's earned the minutes. He's earned the opportunity to start." So yeah much closer to your language. I was just paraphrasing, but you were there on the call, so you should know. 

[Image: 200.gif]
Like Reply
(01-14-2021, 08:08 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: It was pretty cool to see smaller players get by either KP or WCS and have the other waiting for them at the rim.  With that said, I'm not sure we are any closer to knowing what Carlisle will ultimately do.  We have an embarrassment of riches and the only combo that probably doesn't work is WCS/Powell.  When rotations tighten up in the playoffs, I suspect we will have five guys (Luka, Brunson, THJ, DFS and JRich) getting almost all of the 1, 2 and 3 minutes.  We have five other guys who have a legitimate claim on the 4/5 minutes.  We always needed some margin with KP's always uncertain health and Powell's uncertain recovery.  But managing minutes for the five bigs (not to mention Boban) is going to be interesting.
I don't think anyone is close to knowing what Carlisle will ultimately do. Even Carlisle. Maybe especially Carlisle. 

But the Mad Scientist must be in heaven, with all these combos to tinker with. Fasten your seat belt!
Like Reply
(01-14-2021, 05:04 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...33799?s=20

To be fair. Who else should he guard? Middleton, Giannis, Brook Lopez? Without DFS, Maxi and Richardson the Mavs really don´t have any other options.
I guess they could try to hide him on DiVincenzo.
I expect a lot of different matchups against the Bucks. Maybe RC will suprise us with a different starting five. Someone has to guard Giannis and I think Johnson is the best option.
The Bucks really improved the shooting around Giannis. Except for Giannis the worst shooter this season is Brook Lopez (36.1% from 3). Holiday and Augustin are shooting 39% from 3. Rest of the team 40% +.
For comparisation. The Mavs have four players that are shooting 40% + from 3 (Maxi, Burke, THJ, KP). The rest of the team is shooting less than 33%.
Like Reply
Remember ya'll that Rick doesn't like to flex his starting lineup. He tinkers with the lineup to find which one he likes and then he will seldom tweak it. I don't think if everyone is available he is going to do WCS one night and Maxi another night or whatever. He will try some stuff and then settle on the lineup he likes best.

I for one am already quite pleased bc Powell is out of the lineup seemingly for good and THJ has been bumped to the bench, at least for now.

I thought the lineup was going to be Luka, Rich, THJ, DFS, KP to run a small-ball starting unit. Since RC has found success with Maxi and WCS in there at that PF spot I think he sticks with the bigger lineup that can actually play defense. I still feel like Maxi will get the nod.
Like Reply
(01-14-2021, 08:37 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: To be fair. Who else should he guard? Middleton, Giannis, Brook Lopez? Without DFS, Maxi and Richardson the Mavs really don´t have any other options.
I guess they could try to hide him on DiVincenzo.
I expect a lot of different matchups against the Bucks. Maybe RC will suprise us with a different starting five. Someone has to guard Giannis and I think Johnson is the best option.
The Bucks really improved the shooting around Giannis. Except for Giannis the worst shooter this season is Brook Lopez (36.1% from 3). Holiday and Augustin are shooting 39% from 3. Rest of the team 40% +.
For comparisation. The Mavs have four players that are shooting 40% + from 3 (Maxi, Burke, THJ, KP). The rest of the team is shooting less than 33%.

Yes, I am also very interested in the chess match with the Bucks, especially with all the absences. 

The statistics are quite interesting, and thanks for looking them up. Having said that, it's still too small a sample size to draw any firm conclusions. (Don't understand you to be saying otherwise.)

MIL will be a formidable opponent. Maybe too formidable, at least on paper. But these are crazy times. I guess I would say that, in these degenerate days, before any given game, both teams should harbor hope in their hearts and fear in their guts.
Like Reply
KP at four is a trick that would save him from the regular season banging. What matters most is how he'll be used in the play-offs against the Lakers, Clippers, Denver, Utah, Portland and Phoenix. 

Maxi is likely to replace WCS in the line up then but would take the role of the four from KP. If Jojo is still available, there would be no need to give Dorian minutes at the 4. 

We also have good 2-3 rotation between JRich - Dodo and Tim, depending on what kind of night Tim is in.

Unless a possibly presents itself to improve Jojo for the long term, this is a roster as good as any other.
Like Reply
(01-14-2021, 03:48 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I know Timmy isn't much of a fan fave around here, but I have come to appreciate the importance of his role, and think he fills it better than any of the other complementary players can. 

The team needs a couple guys besides Luka whom they can depend on for 15-20 ppg, rather than having to hope that someone from the supporting cast will step up from night to night. Preferably guys who can score from anywhere on the court. Tim is making visible efforts to expand his game, and is not just the designated spot-up shooter. As you say, he seems to be a good third option and would also be a good sixth man. Would be a suitable alternate with Richardson when O/D substitutions are being made. 

Off to get my fireproof jacket, in anticipation of getting flamed.

True and I totally get it, since he had the reputation of being a chucker when he came from NYC to us and at times, he still shows this tendency (I personally hate his heat checks). However, I understand that this is his role and he needs the green light to be able to play well so I can live with that, if it comes at a decent efficiency - which it does more often than not, so overall, Timmy has been a positive suprise here and I love that he seems to be absolutely thrilled to be here, in a functioning organization with a coach who liked him and plays him best to his abilities.

I also agree that he is making a visible efford to expand his game, especially recently he drives more often. I think he is pretty bad at finishing around the rim generally, but this year, my feeling is he improved his percentage there as well. I suspect his confidence right now helps him there as well and it will bet interesting to see, if he keeps being agressive once his shot stops falling at such a great rate or if he can sustain his agressiveness and better finishing.

Might sound really critical but I am actually fond of him on our roster. I think he is really understands and, more importantly, embraces his role here. Bottom line: He's way better than advertised and we need him to be good which, so far, he has been for us.
Like Reply
(01-15-2021, 12:58 PM)meistermatze Wrote: True and I totally get it, since he had the reputation of being a chucker when he came from NYC to us and at times, he still shows this tendency (I personally hate his heat checks). However, I understand that this is his role and he needs the green light to be able to play well so I can live with that, if it comes at a decent efficiency - which it does more often than not, so overall, Timmy has been a positive suprise here and I love that he seems to be absolutely thrilled to be here, in a functioning organization with a coach who liked him and plays him best to his abilities.

I also agree that he is making a visible efford to expand his game, especially recently he drives more often. I think he is pretty bad at finishing around the rim generally, but this year, my feeling is he improved his percentage there as well. I suspect his confidence right now helps him there as well and it will bet interesting to see, if he keeps being agressive once his shot stops falling at such a great rate or if he can sustain his agressiveness and better finishing.

Might sound really critical but I am actually fond of him on our roster. I think he is really understands and, more importantly, embraces his role here. Bottom line: He's way better than advertised and we need him to be good which, so far, he has been for us.
yes, very good summary
Like Reply
(01-14-2021, 07:22 AM)meistermatze Wrote: Maxi and Powell can play against backup-units
I can't tell you how much I want to see this!
Like Reply