Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 112, Magic 98
I guess I didn't like this game as much as others.

With 33 seconds left in the 1st Quarter, Luka gets assessed a technical. The team would get mentally stuck in that moment for the next six minutes, scoring just two field goals with terrible ball movement and three turnovers.

Then, with 2:11 left in the first half, the Mavs score their last bucket and then go 8 minutes without another field goal. Thankfully, THJ goes white-hot to push us through to a comfortable win.

Luka was the 4th best player on the floor, at best. The Magic had no point guard. It is encouraging that Iwundu stopped Ross, but it was . . . Ross.

Also, I am not convinced that WCS is a better finisher than Powell. Powell may not be able to reach the rim as well, but WCS lacks the touch to consistently flush the ball even when he is right there. Trying too hard.

Just hard for me to characterize this game as one where we won on our terms as a "defensive" team. Basically, Burke was left unguarded early on, started feeling it, and had a huge game. And THJ does what he is good at, getting great looks at the basket, and just exploded. Orlando was just lost besides gettting it to Vucevic.
Like Reply
(01-10-2021, 01:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: So this is what I'm not clear about. When do they get postponed, and when do they get forfeited? Does anyone know?

@"mavsluvr", surely you media types were briefed about these rules, right?

hahahaha

The last I heard, postponements were to be determined on a case-by-case basis. 

A forfeit is required if a team can't dress at least 8 players. That apparently doesn't mean 8 guys have to be able to play. The Sixers just avoided a forfeit by dressing out Mike Scott, who was brought back from injury and whom Doc said he would not allow to play.

This is a fast-evolving situation, and it is hard to know at any moment whether we have current info. 

The NBA seems to be flying by the seat of its pants, here.
Like Reply
(01-10-2021, 09:05 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I see nothing special about Gordon that makes me want to give up any value for him.

His length and footwork combination (not bullying like some guys have tried) was maybe the BEST defense I have ever seen on Luka. Luka could not get to his spots or get looks at the rim or paint very well at all.

AG's defense was ELITE last night on a top 5 NBA player.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/...56321?s=20
Like Reply
(01-10-2021, 02:27 PM)Kammrath Wrote: His length and footwork combination (not bullying like some guys have tried) was maybe the BEST defense I have ever seen on Luka. Luka could not get to his spots or get looks at the rim or paint very well at all.

AG's defense was ELITE last night on a top 5 NBA player.

But we already have DFS and Richardson for the same role. Maybe Gordon can guard bigger guys but I would argue that Maxi is at least just as good against guys like Zion or Siakam.
I already mentioned it on discord. A player like Gordon has no place in a modern NBA offense. He is not enough of a rim rolling or cutting threat, lacks a reliable jumpshot and is not good enough as a ballhandler to get touches on a team with Luka, KP, THJ and Richardson.
He has what I call "mediocre star player" skills. Can do a little bit of everything but lacks a single elite skill on offense that would make him a good fit next to true 1st and 2nd options.

Wouldn´t give up any of the current rotations guys under 30. Maybe Johnson and a protected 1st at the deadline but Orlando rejected the RoCo offer this summer. Meaning that they will ask for more.
Like Reply
(01-10-2021, 01:09 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: BTW, the Mavs sure talked a big game during training camp about how important it was for them to avoid this exact eventuality...about how integral in was to their mission this season. I might be judging them too harshly, but I find it disappointing that they're one of the first teams to get hit this hard by Covid. I just sort of assumed they'd handle this part of the season the right way.
We don't know the details yet (if ever), but I don't know that we can jump to the conclusion that the Mavs were careless about following the protocols. I think it is at least as likely that the protocols just aren't sufficient to prevent outbreaks. 

I fear that, as the virus ripples through the league, and games are played with numerous key players absent on one or both sides, outcomes will become so random as to be meaningless. 

We are arguably already there, with blowouts here, there, and everywhere, and seemingly little relationship of results to the quality of the teams. I hope not.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/...51424?s=20

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/13483...51136?s=20
Like Reply
(01-10-2021, 01:47 PM)DaRiv Wrote: I guess I didn't like this game as much as others. 

With 33 seconds left in the 1st Quarter, Luka gets assessed a technical.  The team would get mentally stuck in that moment for the next six minutes, scoring just two field goals with terrible ball movement and three turnovers.

Then, with 2:11 left in the first half, the Mavs score their last bucket and then go 8 minutes without another field goal.  Thankfully, THJ goes white-hot to push us through to a comfortable win. 

Luka was the 4th best player on the floor, at best.  The Magic had no point guard.  It is encouraging that Iwundu stopped Ross, but it was . . . Ross.

Also, I am not convinced that WCS is a better finisher than Powell.  Powell may not be able to reach the rim as well, but WCS lacks the touch to consistently flush the ball even when he is right there.  Trying too hard.

Just hard for me to characterize this game as one where we won on our terms as a "defensive" team.  Basically, Burke was left unguarded early on, started feeling it, and had a huge game.  And THJ does what he is good at, getting great looks at the basket, and just exploded.  Orlando was just lost besides gettting it to Vucevic.
Ah, yes, back to the game. 

Although there were some things to like about this game, agree that there were probably just as many not to like. The Mavs had some rough stretches, along with an unremarkable overall performance, and  basically, their shooters pulled them out of the fire with otherworldly nights. 

Given that they were missing three key guys on very short notice, along with KP, and had no practice time, I tend to think that we might as well be happy that they found a way to win, and not worry too much about how the sausage was made. However, agree with you that winning in this particular fashion is not sustainable. 

The question remains as to how much we can read into any of this, given that so many key guys were missing on both sides.
Like Reply
(01-10-2021, 01:12 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I agree with you. This is really bad.

Unfortunately, I think, with travel and personal contact with other team's personnel, it is inevitable. Especially with the new variants having higher transmission rates.

Hopefully, nobody gets a severe case and it's just wait it out through the protocols.

For the Mavs is bad in the short term. In the longer term, with future availability of vaccines and natural immunity for exposed players, there could be a silver lining here. Get it out of the way early, then be free(er) to self manage without quarantining later.
Like Reply
(01-10-2021, 01:16 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Seems a little crazy. Supposedly, if the test is 15 minutes of close contact, game time contact "never comes close" to qualifying. 
Bouncing into eachothers chest and the exhale that comes from that would push any virus on half the floor. They are breathing the same air. Otherwise, what's the point in social distancing and masks if we have to be in distance for at least 15 mins? Just time your conversation with someone and after the 15 mins, step away for a bit...most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I know you're just reporting the news, I just don't understand this direction one bit.
Like Reply
(01-10-2021, 03:20 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I think it is at least as likely that the protocols just aren't sufficient to prevent outbreaks. 
This IMO.
Like Reply
(01-10-2021, 02:40 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: But we already have DFS and Richardson for the same role. Maybe Gordon can guard bigger guys but I would argue that Maxi is at least just as good against guys like Zion or Siakam.
I already mentioned it on discord. A player like Gordon has no place in a modern NBA offense. He is not enough of a rim rolling or cutting threat, lacks a reliable jumpshot and is not good enough as a ballhandler to get touches on a team with Luka, KP, THJ and Richardson.
He has what I call "mediocre star player" skills. Can do a little bit of everything but lacks a single elite skill on offense that would make him a good fit next to true 1st and 2nd options.

Wouldn´t give up any of the current rotations guys under 30. Maybe Johnson and a protected 1st at the deadline but Orlando rejected the RoCo offer this summer. Meaning that they will ask for more.

I think Maxi is the best option at PF right now, but I don't see him as a long term starter. He's perfect as the first big off the bench and situational spot-up shooter. DFS at the 4 has already been tried and abandoned. There seems to be plenty of room to bring in a starting PF.

Gordon is versatile enough to defend 1-4. I think his man defense is quite a bit better than Dorian's and he's not undersized against larger forwards like JRich. Having a legit PF might even allow THJ back into the starting lineup. Luka/JRich/THJ/AG/KP looks pretty dangerous on both ends of the floor. 

Even though Gordon lacks an elite skill on offense, he's an upgrade across the board if you simply view him as a DFS replacement in the starting lineup. Dorian had one year where he was a significantly better shooter, but outside of that you're looking at a career 33% 3pt shooter (DFS) vs 32% (AG).

That said, I don't think Dallas has the ammo to pull off a trade. I'd happily include Brunson, a future pick, and any/all of our rookies if it gets a deal done.
Like Reply
(01-10-2021, 01:18 AM)MFFL Wrote: I can't remember the last time Luka only had 3 free throws. It seemed like the refs were daring him to complain again to get the double T

He really got beaten up out there on quite a few drives without a call

Yes, that was really frustrating.
Like Reply
(01-10-2021, 09:05 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: The bigs were a disappointment other than Johnson.  15 points from 68 minutes of Willie/Maxi and Powell.  I almost laughed out loud because once again someone felt the need to point out Powell's play against Vucevic.  For the record, Vuc made 9 buckets on WCS, 2 on Maxi, 2 on Powell and 1 on Johnson.  As good as Willie was against Jokic, he had no answer for Vuc. last night.
I wonder if anything in particular accounted for that.
Like Reply
(01-11-2021, 11:00 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: I wonder if anything in particular accounted for that.
I think WCS gave pretty much the same effort and technique this game as against Jokic.  Vucevic has 20 pounds on WCS and has a great back to the basket game.  And WCS could not deny him position anywhere, V got the ball where he wanted.  I would say this is what WCS is.
Like Reply
(01-11-2021, 01:47 PM)DaRiv Wrote: I would say this is what WCS is.

And I think THAT is a big who is honestly better on the perimeter and moving his feet than muscling down low.
Like Reply
(01-11-2021, 02:22 PM)Kammrath Wrote: And I think THAT is a big who is honestly better on the perimeter and moving his feet than muscling down low.

Yes, he's very good at moving his feet...for a big.

Personally, I thought he did a kick ass job on Jokic the other night in the post. I know Jokic put up some points, but come on - he's got to keep shooting, he's their best player. I see no reason WCS can't defend most bigs in a variety of attack styles. I felt like his problems against Vucevic (and he did have problems as Dan pointed out) were about not adequately understanding what Vucevic was trying to do in terms of positioning. And, to Vuc's credit, he simply didn't let WCS's length bother him as much as Jokic did. 

Matching WCS (or KP) up against Lebron, or Kawhi Leonard? Nooooooooo, thanks. That's a very, very dumb idea. So imo, neither he or KP has any business being the team's regular 4, because obviously, those are the two, specific players who stand between the Mavericks and their goal. I'm also not very interested in giving up corner threes to Crowder while one of them slowly recovers from helping in the paint. Powell, Kleber and Johnson are all MUCH better suited to do the ENTIRETY of the job to a satisfactory level, imo.

However, I think WCS has earned a chance to play the backup 5 minutes, even when KP returns. I kind of assumed he'd be completely out of the rotation after that. He still might, because playing four bigs is tough - five is impossible. I'm not sure who will be out. Could be him, could be Johnson, I guess. Most people will say Powell, and I can see an argument for that, but I don't expect that to be the case. 

I guess this is what you call "a good problem."
Like Reply
(01-11-2021, 02:22 PM)Kammrath Wrote: And I think THAT is a big who is honestly better on the perimeter and moving his feet than muscling down low.
 That may be true, but I have found Powell to be a better perimeter defender than WCS.  I found good examples during the past Rockets game.

Here's a striking difference:  first, an example where Christian Wood burns Powell and DFS on a pick and roll: 
https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?GameEventID=87&GameID=0022000098&Season=2020-21&flag=1&title=Wood%201%27%20Cutting%20Dunk%20Shot%20(2%20PTS)%20(Harden%202%20AST)&sct=plot

And here is a similar example where Wood burns WCS and JRich on the exact same pick and roll: 
https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?GameEventID=321&GameID=0022000098&Season=2020-21&flag=1&title=Wood%202%27%20Cutting%20Finger%20Roll%20Layup%20Shot%20(14%20PTS)%20(Wall%201%20AST)&sct=plot

But Powell makes the right defensive play, switching over when DFS tries to play under to stick with Wood.  WCS makes the wrong defensive play,
Like Reply
Powell's problem why hes unplayable isnt so much because of his defense, its because of he's an unimportant threat doing anything but running to try to dunk after screening. And due to him still recovering, his dunks aren't what they used to be and god knows how much of a "threat" he is from 3. He lets the defense just ignore him and just crack down on the paint and other 3 point threats they deem important while not caring about what he does.
Like Reply
(01-11-2021, 05:44 PM)dmavs4life03 Wrote: Powell's problem why hes unplayable isnt so much because of his defense, its because of he's an unimportant threat doing anything but running to try to dunk after screening. And due to him still recovering, his dunks aren't what they used to be and god knows how much of a "threat" he is from 3. He lets the defense just ignore him and just crack down on the paint and other 3 point threats they deem important while not caring about what he does.
He has definitely slipped offensively, as you rightly note.  However, I still think he is still on par with WCS, who has no problems going up, but struggles with coming down with the ball through the rim.  And I haven't seen WCS putting up many shot attempts, either.  Powell is definitely still the better screener, and the offense seems to flow better.  WCS is best getting out on the break, but that is precisely what we do not do--I would love to get someone who pushes the ball.
Like Reply