Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 113, Rockets 100
@ DS:

True, all our bigs have a problem containing the bruisers, but I guess most teams have the same issue. There aren't that many big bodies who can just dominate their opposition by physical force only AND not be a black hole in another regard (e.g. star player). I mean we had DAJ who could do that but he still wasn't a plus on the floor. So I would not worry too much about that, the league is not like this anymore.

Also agreed on your defense of Brunson. It was not my intention to pinpoint every issue with those lineups to him personally. I was just saying that Luka has been off the floor for the entire game in Chicago and Brunson managed to structure most lineups while against the Rockets, it was a dumpsterfire w/o Luka and I still think it has something to do with Brunsons approach towards the game.

I feel like in reduced minutes, he tries to force it too much. He then wants to score in order to be kept on the floor. When he know he will get extended minutes, he can focus on orchestrating and letting the game come to him more. Not really a reproach, I guess, just an observation - I think this is kind of logical.
Like Reply
(01-05-2021, 08:20 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: There just isn't enough O on the floor when Luka sits to get much time for him or Green until KP returns. 

Thats the biggest loss of Seth Curry imo.

With him we always had at least 1 scorer on the court that we could throw the ball to and go get a bucket, usually a 3.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-05-2021, 08:57 AM)Hypermav Wrote: Boogie was a force in his cameo role and I was glad to see him ejected.  I wonder how things may have changed if he didn't let his poor instincts take over.

Tbh, I fear it might not have turned out well. I think baiting Boogie should be part of the game plan in future matches against the Rockets.
Like Reply
(01-05-2021, 09:28 AM)JamesConway Wrote: I’m curious to see if we can get away with Luka / Richardson / Finney-Smith from 1-3 in the playmaking & shooting department.

I got some reservations to that with Maxi/WCS but would LOVE to see if it works once KP is back.

That way we might be able to surround Luka with plus defenders at every position.

PG: Luka (defends worst wing)

SG: JRich (defends best ballhandler)

SF: Finney-Smith (defends best wing)

Big 1: KP (defends inside)

Big 2: Maxi or WCS

Re the game: could not watch it, but I’m just glad RC finally tore up the starting unit. That unit has been dysfunctional almost every time they stepped on the court. I hope we‘re done seeing that group.

Also re Powell: love him off the bench against lesser competition. We need him to play himself into shape and he’s much better off facing bench units than starters during his rehab period. It’s a miracle that he’s even on the floor this early.
Interesting possibilities. 

I hang with the view that, with Carlisle's Mavs, it doesn't matter all that much who starts the game. It's more about who plays the most and who is on the floor at the end of clutch games. Rick began his subs early with this lineup, which I think was intentional in his mad scientist mode. I like the defense and length in this game's starting unit. Boucek said before the game that they wanted more defense and size, recognizing that the challenge with that lineup would be whether they had enough offensive firepower.  

It turned out that Tim played starter minutes, and Maxi had bench minutes, although I think that had a lot to do with Maxi being in foul trouble for most of the game. At any rate, they found enough offense, and the mix worked well, at least so far. Exciting!
Like Reply
(01-05-2021, 10:27 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: Must be nice to have a bounce back write up for a great bounce back game.  Great work as always. 

I'm always particular interested in what the Mavs are doing at 5. I think its always the quiet differentiator in a league where all the teams are basically trying to play the same pace and space game.   What happens on the front line is no longer the dominating positions but that inside game still can be key when you have superstar leads like Doncic vs Harden countering each other. 

WCS seems like he could be what pre-injury Powell was on his way to becoming and what Tyson Chandler was for the 2011 championship squad.

It's GREAT to have a bounce-back game and write-up! And even better that it happened in a rivalry game!

Willie was fun to watch and very impactful. Reminded me of what Powell and Chandler used to add to the offense. Granted, the performance is an outlier at the moment, but it would be great if he could replicate it on some kind of consistent basis.
Like Reply
(01-06-2021, 10:21 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: It's GREAT to have a bounce-back game and write-up! And even better that it happened in a rivalry game!

Willie was fun to watch and very impactful. Reminded me of what Powell and Chandler used to add to the offense. Granted, the performance is an outlier at the moment, but it would be great if he could replicate it on some kind of consistent basis.

Well, there's nothing like being given the responsibility of a starting role to help sharpen one's focus and, hopefully, intensity!  I hope WCS gets the start for at least the next 10 games, to get a better sample size of what he can bring and how it impacts on the overall efficacy of the starting lineup.
Like Reply
A view from the coach --

Carlisle says today that THJ is a starter, whether he comes in at the beginning of the game or after five minutes. Has great respect for Tim's level of professionalism.
Like Reply
(01-06-2021, 02:12 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: A view from the coach --

Carlisle says today that THJ is a starter, whether he comes in at the beginning of the game or after five minutes. Has great respect for Tim's level of professionalism.
Screams treating him with kid gloves honestly. Makes me think they're gonna give him a big contract for being so professional.
Like Reply
(01-06-2021, 01:34 PM)mtrot Wrote: I hope WCS gets the start for at least the next 10 games, to get a better sample size of what he can bring and how it impacts on the overall efficacy of the starting lineup.

I'm getting the impression that Rick starts players who have not only been great on court but also professional in there approach. Starting WCS was Rick's way of saying, show me what you got but also be professional, be a true teammate.

Recall that WCS is a player that was drafted 6th overall in 2015. From Starter to the Kings to afterthought addition to the Warriors. His been a hungrier player being with the Mavs. Now, in Dallas, getting the opportunity to start is like a privilege, a chance to redeem. I'm sure he was hella happy to start Monday and hopes coach would start him again.
Like Reply
(01-06-2021, 01:34 PM)mtrot Wrote: Well, there's nothing like being given the responsibility of a starting role to help sharpen one's focus and, hopefully, intensity!  I hope WCS gets the start for at least the next 10 games, to get a better sample size of what he can bring and how it impacts on the overall efficacy of the starting lineup.

Yeah, I don't know if they're likely to start him with KP. But you never can tell.
Like Reply
(01-06-2021, 02:12 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Carlisle says today that THJ is a starter, whether he comes in at the beginning of the game or after five minutes. Has great respect for Tim's level of professionalism.

Whenever I hear quotes like that, part of me takes it as an indicator that Dallas probably doesn't have a lot of interest in a guy like Hield who handled the same situation pretty poorly.
Like Reply
(01-07-2021, 01:03 AM)Tyler Wrote: Whenever I hear quotes like that, part of me takes it as an indicator that Dallas probably doesn't have a lot of interest in a guy like Hield who handled the same situation pretty poorly.

I agree. I don't think he's a fit culturally in their opinion, and I don't think they're interested in him.
Like Reply
(01-06-2021, 07:34 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Screams treating him with kid gloves honestly. Makes me think they're gonna give him a big contract for being so professional.

Lol, that has struck me speechless.
Like Reply
(01-06-2021, 07:34 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Screams treating him with kid gloves honestly. Makes me think they're gonna give him a big contract for being so professional.

It's honestly quite baffling. Does Tim's ego really need that kind of massaging? No RC, a starter is someone who starts the game, not coming off the bench after 5 minutes.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-07-2021, 09:55 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: It's honestly quite baffling. Does Tim's ego really need that kind of massaging? No RC, a starter is someone who starts the game, not coming off the bench after 5 minutes.

Lol, I guess trying to have it both ways!  Thread the needle, so to speak. Dodgy
Like Reply
(01-07-2021, 09:55 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: No RC, a starter is someone who starts the game, not coming off the bench after 5 minutes.

I think he's making two points:

1) THJ is going to play starter minutes, whether he starts or not.

2) He's going to start plenty of games.
Like Reply
(01-06-2021, 11:46 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Yeah, I don't know if they're likely to start him with KP. But you never can tell.

Oh, I only meant until KP returns.  IMO, we absolutely need that kind of length on the floor, and not a small ball lineup.
Like Reply
(01-07-2021, 10:13 AM)mtrot Wrote: Oh, I only meant until KP returns.

Ok, good to know. You wrote "10 games" so I was wondering, too. Thanks for the clarification.
Like Reply
(01-07-2021, 09:55 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: It's honestly quite baffling. Does Tim's ego really need that kind of massaging?  

His wallet certainly does.  Saying out loud that Tim is considered a "starter" and will get starter minutes is a signal that Carlisle gets the financial ramifications of any perception that THJ's role has been marginalized.  It is a BIG deal...like $10-$15 million BIG.  

This summer is Hardaway's last big pay day.  The board had a discussion recently about the perception around the league among players.  Hard to answer since most of us are presumably not NBA players.  But I guarantee agents (and probably some players) will look at the year Tim had and see this as taking money out of his pocket.  Finessing the communication around this is important.
Like Reply
(01-07-2021, 09:55 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: It's honestly quite baffling. Does Tim's ego really need that kind of massaging? No RC, a starter is someone who starts the game, not coming off the bench after 5 minutes.

Honestly, I think that in Carlisle parlance, "starter" means a guy who plays starter minutes and is likely to be on the floor at the ends of games, whether he is on the floor at the initial horn or not.
Like Reply