Poll: What is going on with the Mavs?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Luka is out of shape and bringing everything down with him.
7.14%
3 7.14%
KP is out and everybody is suffering because of that.
14.29%
6 14.29%
Combination of Luka being out of shape and KP being out.
45.24%
19 45.24%
Something else (note it below).
33.33%
14 33.33%
Total 42 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What is going on with the Mavs?
(12-31-2020, 11:25 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: They can all get to the basket. Even against Charlotte, they had 42 points in the paint, and most of those weren't from Luka. They scored on roughly half of their attempts there. Granted, the spacing is pretty terrible right now when the guys aren't making their threes, but that should get better, and paint scoring should get easier. Some of them aren't going to the bucket as much as we expected, but that doesn't mean they can't do it.

Like you, I am disappointed with the early performance, and I realize that grand expectations for the team need to be tempered for the sake of realism. But it's a leap to decide that, because they didn't play well in three early games, they will never play well again. What am I missing, RDB?
I completely disagree that they can all get to the basket.  One of you guys that can name the last 3 agents for the 3rd string PG on the Knicks tell me if there is a way to pull the shot charts for the Mavs and pull out shots in the paint for Luka and Brunson as well as fast break shots.  I would like to know the points in the paint (minus Luka and Brunson) during set plays.

Finney-Smith can’t dribble so I don’t know how he can get to the hole,  The same slow footedness that limits Hardaway on defense limits his escapability on offense.  We are still waiting for Kleber to take his first shot in the paint.  Dwight does take most of his shots in the paint but his effectiveness is marginal.  Richardson does get to the paint some but it is a huge stretch to say that is an effective element of his game.

I’m not arguing that we should take more mid range shots or go against analytics.  I used mid range shots as an indicator of shot creation.  What I am suggesting is that if our philosophy is to shoot from the extremes (3 point or rim), the rim part better come from Luka or Brunson and any marginal success that someone else has is likely a direct result of something that Luka did.  We need another athletic playmaker or we are going to run the wheels off of Luka.
Like Reply
(01-01-2021, 12:17 AM)RDB Wrote:  I used mid range shots as an indicator of shot creation.

I would look at open, assisted threes and points in the paint (and drives per game) to assess "shot creation." Those would be my initial go-to stats at least.
Like Reply
(12-31-2020, 11:25 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: They can all get to the basket. Even against Charlotte, they had 42 points in the paint, and most of those weren't from Luka. They scored on roughly half of their attempts there. Granted, the spacing is pretty terrible right now when the guys aren't making their threes, but that should get better, and paint scoring should get easier. Some of them aren't going to the bucket as much as we expected, but that doesn't mean they can't do it.

Like you, I am disappointed with the early performance, and I realize that grand expectations for the team need to be tempered for the sake of realism. But it's a leap to decide that, because they didn't play well in three early games, they will never play well again. What am I missing, RDB?
You used the example of 42 points in the paint in the Charlotte game as an example of our effectiveness...14 of those points came from starters not named Luka.
Like Reply
(01-01-2021, 12:20 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I would look at open threes and points in the paint (and drives per game) to assess "shot creation." Those would be my initial go-to stats at least.
No worries...I should have never mentioned mid range because it has distracted from my point.  Just consider my position without that sentence since it was just a throw in to a larger point.
Like Reply
(01-01-2021, 12:17 AM)RDB Wrote: We need another athletic playmaker or we are going to run the wheels off of Luka.

I think if Luka takes care of his body the way he needs to, then I personally don't think this is that big of an issue. However, I DO think having a third best player that can create when needed would be great. I just personally think the issue is not primarily this, it is primarily Luka being really overweight and KP being out. They are the tides that lift all other boats.
Like Reply
(01-01-2021, 12:57 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I think if Luka takes care of his body the way he needs to, then I personally don't think this is that big of an issue. However, I DO think having a third best player that can create when needed would be great. I just personally think the issue is not primarily this, it is primarily Luka being really overweight and KP being out. They are the tides that lift all other boats.
I guess we will see.  I respect your opinion but I would be curious to know what other teams have been championship caliber that was organized like ours.  And don’t say Golden State because they had playmakers all over the court.
Like Reply
By the way...Happy New Year to you all.  I am already in the dog house with my wife for posting tonight.
Like Reply
Am I the only one who wonders if "RDB" is Roddy B - i.e. Rodrigue Beaubois?
Like Reply
(01-01-2021, 01:46 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Am I the only one who wonders if "RDB" is Roddy B - i.e. Rodrigue Beaubois?
[Image: GIF-image.gif]
Like Reply
(01-01-2021, 01:46 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Am I the only one who wonders if "RDB" is Roddy B - i.e. Rodrigue Beaubois?

He's already using the correct vernacular to make me believe this. 

(01-01-2021, 01:27 AM)RDB Wrote: I am already in the dog house
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/...8233012226

That's a good read IMO. And a big reason why we miss KP and how things will change once he's back!
Like Reply
(01-01-2021, 03:13 AM)juanc Wrote: That's a good read IMO. And a big reason why we miss KP and how things will change once he's back!

Yeah, thanks for finding this. I have been saying this all the time. But Luka is fat...
Like Reply
(01-01-2021, 03:13 AM)juanc Wrote: https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/...8233012226

That's a good read IMO. And a big reason why we miss KP and how things will change once he's back!

Quote:There is only one player currently teams stay home on, that is THJ.

And yet, he is the player everyone on this board wants to trade immediately, ok after DP at least.
Like Reply
(01-01-2021, 04:40 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: And yet, he is the player everyone on this board wants to trade immediately, ok after DP at least.

True, however most of the ideas are for even better offensive players. 

DFS surely has to convert his open threes, otherwise his value is low. However, last year sample was big enough for me to believe this year current result is a consequence of a small sample. I take JRich game against Charlotte as an anomaly, it just wasn't his day. He was missing layups too. Conclusion, I think offense is just fine. Defense and energy is a problem.
Like Reply
(01-01-2021, 04:32 AM)omahen Wrote: But Luka is fat...

HE IS.

I think the evidence both from his own mouth, RC's mouth, and the visual evidence shows it IS a big deal. That doesn't mean it is the ONLY deal, but it is ridiculous at this point to act like people are imagining him being overweight.

Your points about struggle are VALID, but so are the concerns about his weight. It isn't EITHER/OR.....it is BOTH/AND.

[Image: Screenshot-2020-12-30-at-10.54.33-PM.png]
Like Reply
(01-01-2021, 08:33 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Your points about struggle are VALID, but so are the concerns about his weight. It isn't EITHER/OR.....it is BOTH/AND.

I am glad you acknowledge that Smile  So far it has been Luka being overweight is a cause of all problems.
Like Reply
(01-01-2021, 12:43 AM)RDB Wrote: You used the example of 42 points in the paint in the Charlotte game as an example of our effectiveness...14 of those points came from starters not named Luka.

You're certainly right that there is room for improvement. 

Happy New Year!
Like Reply
Before The game with the Hornets, Luka’s PER hovered a little under 30 (an elite mark). It’s still around 25, even with all the missed threes. He doesn’t seem to be the problem. If he starts hitting his threes, his numbers will be incredible. I think the problem is mainly that Powell needs to find his form playing fewer minutes, but I can’t rule out that the lineup with a single big may not be as successful a strategy as hoped. It’s time to try something different with the rotation.
Like Reply
Way too early conclusions outside of the obvious Luka out of shape and KP out

1. How will DFS and THj fit with Luka and JRich? Time should reveal what needs to happen. Richardson does a bit of what both players bring, so it seems they just need time. Maybe one needs to be moved to the bench

2. Rebounding is a major issue. Why is Powell such a terrible rebounder?

3. Can Maxi be anything more than a large 3 & D wing? He looks closer to a 3 than a 5 at this point. It doesn’t look like Maxi will be versatile enough to be a rim protector

4. Can WCS be consistent? He has a golden opportunity to get minutes at the 5 if he could protect the paint. He has stretches where he looks great, then he turns around and looks slow footed on D and has questionable basketball IQ

5. What can Johnson bring to the table? His ball handling skills look great and has helped with ball movement. What can he do defensively? Can we count on his 3pt shot? Is his contract better used as the foundation of a trade?
Like Reply
(01-01-2021, 08:52 AM)omahen Wrote: So far it has been Luka being overweight is a cause of all problems.
Then you're reading with blinders on cause there is a lot more being said about our struggles.
Like Reply