Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 5.0 pt RAPTOR & 6.0 pt Vegas dogs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
40.00%
4 40.00%
Lakers
60.00%
6 60.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 2: DAL (0-2) @ LAL (1-1) | 115-138 loss
(12-25-2020, 10:32 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: The offense looks broken. The defense is inconsistent. Mavs gotta wake the f up.

-Defense is active but the Pu Pu Platter we roll out at the 4/5 is killing us on the boards. 
-THJ shooting 50% at the free throw line, 30% from three and averaging 11 points per game. 
-Luka looks tired to put it nicely.
-Maxi seems to have regressed.

On the plus side:

-Luka will round into shape
-KP will be back
-JRich looks like a smart move.
-Burke has some dog in him and that contract seems ridiculously cheap.
-Wouldn't mind Johnson get some more minutes
Like Reply
Horrible effort on defensive side, Mavs allowed 17 offensive rebounds. Although to be honest, Lakers also punished every mistake with very hot shooting. Mavs on the other hand missed a lot of open shots. Offense was mostly ok but Mavs need to get more from THJ. Horrible decision making tonight from him. Lakers have a very good team. Regular season bubble story is repeating - Mavs are not showing the effort, the killer instinct to win.
Like Reply
REACTIONS

• D is bad, not seeing improvement other than TO generation, still giving up TONS of good looks
  • small ball is KILLING the Mavs on both ends
  • defensive rebounding was atrocious....rebounding overall is a huge issue but I am confident that is connected to small ball
  • Luka not jacking up endless threes was good
  • THJ is a huge negative on this team right now, even at times when he is only doing catch and shoot
  • JRich being aggressive on offense in spurts was good to see
  • Burke is a better fit with Luka than THJ
  • DP is still concerning me (but again he is being put in a position to fail)
  • WCS continues to bring positive impact for the most part
  • Brunson is really hot/cold....I think the Mavs need to be quickly grooming Tyrell to get some back up PG minutes
  • Maxi is not playing well, -19 and -8 to start the season
  • Luka is looking good at the free throw line....starting to feel confident about him there
  • Luka was better about not complaining tonight
  • Luka still looks out of shape and it seems to be affecting him and the team
Like Reply
Still waiting for this elite rim-rolling Powell to show up.
Like Reply
(12-25-2020, 10:50 PM)Kammrath Wrote: REACTIONS

[*]WCS continues to bring positive impact for the most part
[*]Brunson is really hot/cold....I think the Mavs need to be quickly grooming Tyrell to get some back up PG minutes

-WCS was a negative negative tonight.  He had active hands on defense and helped get a turnover or two but his rebounding was bad and he let Kuzma block him on what should have been an easy layup/dunk.
-Tyrell looked okay tonight but he's been so timid, it's going to be hard to get him minutes.  Brunson is at least offsetting bad plays with good and becoming neutral.  I hope Bey gets healthy quickly and see if we can kick the tires with him.
Like Reply
(12-25-2020, 10:40 PM)cow Wrote: -Defense is active but the Pu Pu Platter we roll out at the 4/5 is killing us on the boards. 
-THJ shooting 50% at the free throw line, 30% from three and averaging 11 points per game. 
-Luka look tired to put it nicely. 
-Maxi seems to have regressed. 

On the plus side:

-Luka will into shape
-KP will be back
-JRich looks like a smart move.
-Burke has some dog in him and that contract seems ridiculously cheap. 
-Wouldn't mind Johnson get some more minutes

THJ is garbage when he's not catch and shoot. And so when KP is not playing you get bad THJ which is what we have now.

Gimme some JJ or WCS in the starting lineup, I have seen enough Powell. I wouldn't mind just a Powell/JJ swap. Powell plays well with Maxi.
Like Reply
(12-25-2020, 11:00 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Still waiting for this elite rim-rolling Powell to show up.

It may never again. Many questions after the injury....early returns are not good....but usually full recovery after achilles will take longer than the 11 months DP has had.
Like Reply
Next game against the Clippers, which has a big and long line up of Ibaka, George, Batum and Leonard is going to be difficult to match on the boards. 

Rick is either going to change the line up to match or more than likely, roll with the same line up and just switch on schemes.
Like Reply
(12-25-2020, 11:02 PM)Kammrath Wrote: It may never again. Many questions after the injury....early returns are not good....but usually full recovery after achilles will take longer than the 11 months DP has had.

Right and I am less upset ab that than the fact that Rick wants him to be a day 1 starter at center.
Like Reply
Is it me or does it seem that Luka isn't trusting his teammates as before.

I wasn't sure if he was slow in recognizing a player, or if his teammates did bad in offball movement (staying in one place).
Like Reply
(12-25-2020, 11:03 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Right and I am less upset ab that than the fact that Rick wants him to be a day 1 starter at center.

One the one hand, you've got to give him a chance to reestablish himself, but on the other and like Kamm said, he's being put into a position to fail.  He seemed better tonight (not to be confused with good).  We're going to be unhappy with whoever Rick rolls out until KP is back.  My vote is for Johnson.
Like Reply
Not feeling this team at all right now. Maybe teams are better prepared for us and that only further exposes our lack of play-makers. Doncic, Porzingis, Richardson and DFS are keepers. The rest is trade bait. I´m sure the Mavs will pull the trigger on something eventually. Cuban´s trigger finger must be itching and given the lack of minutes for Green and Terry, you might as well throw them into a trade, cause what´s the point.
Like Reply
(12-25-2020, 11:06 PM)FunkBoreland Wrote: Is it me or does it seem that Luka isn't trusting his teammates as before.

I wasn't sure if he was slow in recognizing a player, or if his teammates did bad in offball movement (staying in one place).

I think Luka is just out of shape and that prevents him from playing his normal game. He's moving less and cleary moving slower. At times, he was jogging back like a guy at the local rec center. It's amazing he can do what he can right now. If he had a body like LeBron, he'd possibly be the greatest player to ever live.
Like Reply
(12-25-2020, 11:09 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Not feeling this team at all right now. Maybe teams are better prepared for us and that only further exposes our lack of play-makers. Doncic, Porzingis, Richardson and DFS are keepers. The rest is trade bait. I´m sure the Mavs will pull the trigger on something eventually. Cuban´s trigger finger must be itching and given the lack of minutes for Green and Terry, you might as well throw them into a trade, cause what´s the point.

I'm positive we'll make a move at the TDL but we shouldn't overreact.  Besides, some of our more attractive trade pieces (Maxi and THJ) look like hot garbage right now.  KP should cure a lot of ills and Luka should be in shape by the time he's back.  /glass half full
Like Reply
THJ / DFS / Powell is the worst starting frontcourt in the league. I would try DFS / Maxi / WCS for now. THJ might have more value this year as a spacer off the bench now that Curry is gone.
Like Reply
At this point, I think it's do-or-die to get two good starters in separate trades (likely one in February, the other at the TDL) taking advantage of THJ and James Johnson's expirings, including whatever sweeteners are necessary short of JRich who is the best-fitting player with Luka I have seen in these past 2 1/36th seasons. Then re-sign JRich on day one of the '21 free agency, operate over the cap, and do whatever is necessary to make the best MLE signing of the leaguewide '21 offseason. And do whatever it takes to convince Luka to stay in game shape for the entirety of that '21 offseason.
Like Reply
(12-25-2020, 11:00 PM)cow Wrote:  I hope Bey gets healthy quickly and see if we can kick the tires with him.

Didn't RC say that Bey would have not been on the bench even if he was healthy? We have 17 man roster with only 15 available on bench, KP out and it seems that Bey is 17th man. 

Don't expect much of him this season, like at all tbh.
Like Reply
It is what It is. Team simply needs KP back. Can't expect to win games without him. Also can't expect THJ to be the second best player. He obviously can't handle it.
Like Reply
I miss this Luka, the way he moves here vs today is just night and day difference..

Like Reply
Predictable loss...this team just isn't good enough to beat the Top-4 teams in the West and that's with a healthy KP IMO
Like Reply