Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2020-2021 MAVS NEWS: Archived
Mark is a fan who owns an NBA team. He has ideas about how things should be done, how the game should be played, what trades he'd like made. With the ability to get some of those things done. I believe he reacts like most of us fans. Has knee-jerk reactions, but unlike your ordinary fan he can rattle the team to it's core with his actions. I think that's what happened when he let Donnie go. 

The Mavs lost a playoff series, KP didn't play up to his ability, Mark looked around for someone to blame, and it surely wasn't HIS fault. After all, Mark is the smartest guy in the room. In his mind. Now that Nico is "in charge", Nico needs someone, like Donnie, who knows basketball, and basketball talent and is willing to beat the bushes overseas, and everywhere else to find that talent.
[-] The following 1 user Likes david75090's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(07-19-2021, 04:16 PM)F Gump Wrote: I think in time you'll see this take on what Nico said is a total misread on his job with the Mavs.

From what I have been hearing said by all of them ...
1 Cuban is (finally) admitting he has essentially been the Mavs' GM ....
2 .... and by his actions and some of his words, that he has botched things by doing so.
3 So without trying to make a big deal of the import, Cuban has decided he needs to do things differently. Nico will be his GM. Like any other GM. He makes the hiring calls for who he wants as asst GM, analytics staff, coach, cap analysis, etc, they all answer to him (just like in about every other team except maybe the Kings). and he will weigh their input and decide.
4 Technically, Cuban still will sign off on things, but Nico is the focal point now, not Cuban. (It's looking more like the Rangers' model now, whereas it formerly was like the Cowboys.)

In this interview, Nico, like any good man with a big job, is calling what he does a team concept, and not the Nico Harrison Show. But that's him being modest with the job he's being given - admitting he doesn't know it all, praising the people who will be working for him, and describing them as fellow-contributors rather than his underlings. Their input will be valued. He meant to encourage them in advance. He's coming in from the outside, rather than any of them being promoted, and wants them to know that him having this role won't marginalize them being credited for their work.

But they are NOT equals in the input, all trying to persuade Cuban, not anymore. It's going to be Nico's job to figure things out. And this is a major step forward, all by itself, in the Mavs' organization. If I'm reading this right, now it will be Nico's job to figure out what they have been missing in the front office to get the job done expertly, and then to make it all work to produce a better roster.

Well that´s the big elephant in the room, isn´t it.

How much veto power does Cuban have?
How miniscule has the information process to Cuban have to be?

The GM needs a certain amount of breathing space to make a plan. He needs to talk to players, scouts, agents, GMs to formulate an overall strategy with multiple moves. He can´t involve Cuban every step of the way. Neither does he want to.

Harrison says he has made the summer plan. All the moves are reasonable. They all connect to each others. They all build on each other. Will Cuban say: Okay Nico that´s your plan. We do it like that. It´s your responsibility. Or will he veto one move that could crash weeks worth of work, so that we are left scrambling for Delon Wrights.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(07-18-2021, 11:52 PM)Kammrath Wrote: 1) I am SO excited for Nico. He just feels like a guy who "gets it" and is going to be legit. I think he is the RIGHT guy for the job.

2) I LOVE what he said at the end. He was talking about it not being the "Nico Harrison show" and getting everyone on the same page so they can then collectively convince Cuban these are the right decisions for the organization. I think Nico is going to work to build consensus among the whole front office and present a unified direction to Mark that frankly he won't want to refuse. If there is unity under Cuban, then I think he will go with it and not go "rogue" in some other direction.

Yeah I really like hearing that. 

I've made the point on Donnie repeatedly in the past that I think he's a good GM because the dude knows how to evaluate talent. He knows how to build a roster.What he's failed to do for a the last decade is convince Mark on anything. There was no cohesive vision as a front office. Donnie did a great job of scrapping stuff together when it was time which saved his job for a long time.

(07-19-2021, 04:16 PM)F Gump Wrote: I think in time you'll see this take on what Nico said is a total misread on his job with the Mavs.

2 .... and by his actions and some of his words, that he has botched things by doing so.
3 So without trying to make a big deal of the import, Cuban has decided he needs to do things differently. Nico will be his GM. Like any other GM. He makes the hiring calls for who he wants as asst GM, analytics staff, coach, cap analysis, etc, they all answer to him (just like in about every other team except maybe the Kings). and he will weigh their input and decide.
4 Technically, Cuban still will sign off on things, but Nico is the focal point now, not Cuban. (It's looking more like the Rangers' model now, whereas it formerly was like the Cowboys.)

In this interview, Nico, like any good man with a big job, is calling what he does a team concept, and not the Nico Harrison Show. But that's him being modest with the job he's being given - admitting he doesn't know it all, praising the people who will be working for him, and describing them as fellow-contributors rather than his underlings. Their input will be valued. He meant to encourage them in advance. He's coming in from the outside, rather than any of them being promoted, and wants them to know that him having this role won't marginalize them being credited for their work.

But they are NOT equals in the input, all trying to persuade Cuban, not anymore. It's going to be Nico's job to figure things out. And this is a major step forward, all by itself, in the Mavs' organization. If I'm reading this right, now it will be Nico's job to figure out what they have been missing in the front office to get the job done expertly, and then to make it all work to produce a better roster.

Good explanation!
[-] The following 1 user Likes cjeter24's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply

I HOPE you are right. 

As many have said, this IS indeed more optimistic than my read of the tea leaves. I think this IS a legit possibility of the evidence we have. 

Just glad you said it, because I would have been flamed if I did!
Like Reply
(07-19-2021, 05:30 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Harrison says he has made the summer plan. All the moves are reasonable. They all connect to each others. They all build on each other. Will Cuban say: Okay Nico that´s your plan. We do it like that. It´s your responsibility. Or will he veto one move that could crash weeks worth of work, so that we are left scrambling for Delon Wrights.

I agree with this take, in the sense that team building isn't just a piecemeal thing....it is a holistic plan that can be sabotaged (I think we saw that in recent years). 

I still think the goal of Nico's job will be to convince Cuban of the plan he is implementing and that it is a holistic plan and not just a collection of different moves. What makes me confident is that I bet Nico will be COMPETENT enough to create a plan that is convincing to Cuban.
Like Reply
(07-19-2021, 09:01 PM)Kammrath Wrote: What makes me confident is that I bet Nico will be COMPETENT enough to create a plan that is convincing to Cuban.

Agreed.  From what little we've seen of Nico, his charismatic and an effective communicator.  

I'd ask for my tag to be updated to #SaveUsNico but I need to make sure we don't pay THJ first.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • ClutchDirk
Like Reply
Lol a Mod changed one of my posts. I feel so cool... yet violated.
Like Reply
(07-19-2021, 09:29 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: Lol a Mod changed one of my posts. I feel so cool... yet violated.

Show us on the doll where KL touched you.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • ClutchDirk, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(07-19-2021, 09:29 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: Lol a Mod changed one of my posts. I feel so cool... yet violated.

It was me. I tried to PM you beforehand to get you to do it yourself, but you have PM's disabled. If you want some backstory, turn those on and hit me up. I'll explain.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
https://youtu.be/s_WLx5RL-sc
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
[-] The following 2 users Like ClutchDirk's post:
  • Kammrath, khaled1987
Like Reply
(07-19-2021, 09:01 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I agree with this take, in the sense that team building isn't just a piecemeal thing....it is a holistic plan that can be sabotaged (I think we saw that in recent years). 

I still think the goal of Nico's job will be to convince Cuban of the plan he is implementing and that it is a holistic plan and not just a collection of different moves. What makes me confident is that I bet Nico will be COMPETENT enough to create a plan that is convincing to Cuban.

Hopefully, that is what Nico and Kidd and Finley and Dirk and Cuban have been discussing these last 3-4 weeks. Once MKE closes out PHX then the real speculation will begin and we should get some sense if the new MBT is any improvement over the old MBT.

Although a line from The Who's classic "Won't Get Fooled Again" keeps cycling in my brain.
"Meet the new boss....Same as the old boss"
[-] The following 2 users Like michaeltex's post:
  • ClutchDirk, david75090
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1417614939007688705
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-20-2021, 12:50 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: It was me. I tried to PM you beforehand to get you to do it yourself, but you have PM's disabled. If you want some backstory, turn those on and hit me up. I'll explain.

You are good. 

I don't really care ha.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KennyBybee/status/14...9362414592
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply