Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PRESEASON GAMES: Dec 17 MIN 730pm
Harp says he really likes the way Jason Richardson is fitting in to the Mavs system! Rolleyes
Like Reply
And that Luka was a recipitent of a pass from Powell.
Like Reply
really love the JRich pickup. Still a moment of silence for Curry but he's so active defensively and fits in well on offense. Great add

ahhh shit did he just get hurt!!
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1339750753506906113
Like Reply
Game 3 Reactions:

• Luka still is showing that 2 of his 3 greatest weaknesses (getting caught up with the refs and three point shooting) are not improved. He is showing that his free throw shooting (the other weakness) might be improved. This is disappointing to me.
  • JRich is such a keeper.
  • THJ needs to keep playing like this game.
  • DP+DFS as the bigs is SO bad and it is frustrating for me to not be able to understand WHY RC keeps doing it. Why put DP coming off such a catastrophic injury into a situation that is set up for failure??
  • Still think WCS needs minutes with the first unit.
  • Everything about the 2nd unit looked "off."
  • Tyrell might not be able to overcome his 6'1.75" wingspan....I sure hope he can, but it is going to take work. 
  • I hope RC is able to find spot minutes for all the rookies to keep their development going. 
Like Reply
(12-18-2020, 12:07 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Game 3 Reactions:

• Luka still is showing that 2 of his 3 greatest weaknesses (getting caught up with the refs and three point shooting) are not improved. He is showing that his free throw shooting (the other weakness) might be improved. This is disappointing to me.
  • JRich is such a keeper.
  • THJ needs to keep playing like this game.
  • DP+DFS as the bigs is SO bad and it is frustrating for me to not be able to understand WHY RC keeps doing it. Why put DP coming off such a catastrophic injury into a situation that is set up for failure??
  • Still think WCS needs minutes with the first unit.
  • Everything about the 2nd unit looked "off."
  • Tyrell might not be able to overcome his 6'1.75" wingspan....I sure hope he can, but it is going to take work. 
  • I hope RC is able to find spot minutes for all the rookies to keep their development going. 

-Luka's 3PT shooting isn't going to get better until he starts taking better shots.  
-JRich is really surprising to me.  If he keeps this up, he's going to be expensive.
-Powell is probably being given the pre-season run to knock the rust off.
-I was pretty hyped for Terry, but it looks like he's paying with zero confidence.  He really needs the G-League.
Like Reply
Tonight makes me ponder what the hockey substitutions accomplished or revealed.

The all 2nd unit lineup and, for some time, the all young's lineup were without help from higher ranking players. So 2nd unit and young'ns got to attempt to do more than a regular season rotation would allow, where they have to stick to more defined roles. The only players to thrive in that situation were Maxi and Burke.

I like that Green got the chance to play with the 2nd unit. I like that Terry and Green hooked up for an assisted bucket. I think the 2nd unit would have looked completely different if Brunson had played well. I think Maxi's burn and success with the 1st unit is nice.
Like Reply
Way more than Powell I am worried about the three point percentage remaining at this preseason level. Mavs shot 38 % in the opener, 48 % in game 2 and 45 % in game 3. How will they look if that percentage is closer to 35 % than 45 %? However, at least in preseason our offense generated a ton of open looks. Their 2pt % was actually worse than 3pt. Luka has a lot of reserves, he wasn't very efficient.
Like Reply
As for Green and Terry - I would love for them to get minutes with Luka. I think both would look much, much better. Green would only have to play defense with occasional open 3 pointer, Terry would only need to shoot threes. Things they are supposed to be good at.
Like Reply
(12-18-2020, 01:21 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Tonight makes me ponder what the hockey substitutions accomplished or revealed.

The all 2nd unit lineup and, for some time, the all young's lineup were without help from higher ranking players. So 2nd unit and young'ns got to attempt to do more than a regular season rotation would allow, where they have to stick to more defined roles. The only players to thrive in that situation were Maxi and Burke.

I like that Green got the chance to play with the 2nd unit. I like that Terry and Green hooked up for an assisted bucket. I think the 2nd unit would have looked completely different if Brunson had played well. I think Maxi's burn and success with the 1st unit is nice.
It´s a good way to establish the regular rotation (especially during a pandemic), but it´s really hard for young guys to break through, when you are basically supposed to be the best player on the floor as a rookie like Green, instead of the 5th best player. That works when your rookie is Doncic, who is your best player on the floor or Brunson who has run a high profile college offense for multiple years.

Green and Bey are supposed to be 3&D contributors, so they´d benefit to see some time in the DFS or Powell spots. There are still a lot of poor teams that features players of similar quality. Then it´s maybe time to sacrifice some rotational minutes for development purposes, while running the risk to drop some unexpected game here or there to a Pistons or Hornets team.
Like Reply
(12-18-2020, 12:31 PM)omahen Wrote: Way more than Powell I am worried about the three point percentage remaining at this preseason level. Mavs shot 38 % in the opener, 48 % in game 2 and 45 % in game 3. How will they look if that percentage is closer to 35 % than 45 %? However, at least in preseason our offense generated a ton of open looks. Their 2pt % was actually worse than 3pt. Luka has a lot of reserves, he wasn't very efficient.
Well, DP is a big factor in this. He didn’t dive to the basket much but nobody (rightfully) guards him at the three point line, either. That mucks up the spacing and leads to low FG%s.

I don’t think it’s justifiable to start him right now. Both WCS and Kleber looked much better than Dwight. I struggle to understand  why he should be pushed into the starting five so quickly given his level. We have a tough schedule and a pretty deep team, no need for any weird stuff with players coming back from career aktering injuries. This isn’t the Dwight Powell we know, it will take him a long time to come back from this.
Like Reply
Re Terry: I think he will look better when he has some dependable shot creators alongside him. He’s better at finishing plays from the perimeter than running a team. I’d love to see him alongside Brunson or Luka rather than have him be the 1 (especially in the beginning of his NBA career).
Like Reply