Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expectations for the 2020/2021 season
So the Mavs are mostly done(or are they? Wink  ) with this offseason and I'm interested in what you think about the 2020/2021 season? Where do you see the Mavs in the western conference(what's the floor and what's the ceiling for this team)? Which Mavs player do you think is going to suprise us(positive or negative). How do you like the team and so on....

Let's get this going! 
I fully expect the Mavs to be in the playoffs, I even think they can finish in the top4 in west. Lakers and Clippers are the only 2 teams I think are better than the Mavs. Is see Dallas in the same tier as Denver, Portland(I've got a feeling that Dame is going to play on an MVP level), Phoenix and Utah with GSW behind. Even with KP missing the start of the season, I still think that this team is deep and versatile enough to compete with everybody(At least in the Regular season).

When it comes to the TEAM, I realy like the roster. As I've already written, I think that the team is (much) deeper and much more versatile that last years team. I loved what they did on Draft night(drafting Green, Terry and Bey, and the Richardson trade), as for freeagency I expected something bigger(Gallo, Bogdan,...), but at the end almost everybody overpaid(Grant is good but not worth 20 mil per, Gallo the same, Bertans, Hayward( Big Grin Big Grin ) and so on.). I like the fact that Burke and WCS are back(I just think that WCS is more of a fit for the Mavs than Baynes or Gasol, Rick and Luka both love their rim running vertical spacers). I also think that Iwundu is going to be what we wanted Jackson to be(If he is not waived for JJB).

Now the depth chart for me would be:
PG         Luka, Brunson
PG/SG    Burke, Terry
SG
SG/SF    Richardson, THJ, Green
SF         Iwundu
SF/PF    DFS
PF         Johnson
PF/C      Maxi, Powell
C           KP, WCS, Bobi

At the start of the season, till KP comes back, I think our starting 5 will look like this: Luka, THJ, Richardson(and a combination of DFS, Maxi & WCS). Once KP comes back it's Luka, THJ, Richardson,(DFS or Maxi) and KP. That a realy nice starting 5. 

Now let's talk about the PLAYERS.

1. Luka Dončić - I think there aren't many things to say here. I think we can expect great things from Luka. This team is tailor made for him(I love the fact that we'll be able to see a kind of 4 wings(all of can shoot)+KP lineups. Those will be hard to defend and also they'll be able do defend). He has shown some good defense in the bubbleand if he continues that, I think he'll be at least an average defender. And one of the 5 best offensive players in the league. I've seen a video where it was said, that he and LeBron were tied 1st for AST% last year, he could end up as the AST leader.
  2. Kristaps Porzingis - I am high on KP(even with all of his injury concerns).I'm optimistic about his health and think he'll be able to stay relatively healthy(at least till his 30). I expect him to have a slower start, but after 10-15 games I see him being back in his bubble form. I see him averaging around 23PTS, 10REB, 2+BLK 
  3. Josh Richardson - I remember watching him play in Miami(I watched a lot of Heat games, becouse of Goran) and he we realy great there. I think that his time in Phily is more of an outlier season. That team realy underachived and didn't fit well. I expect him to be more of his Miami self. One thing he didn't have in Philly is space, and he'll have plenty of that in Dallas. He'll realy shine in Dallas. He's our 3rd best player IMO, and he makes our defense better.
  4. Tim Hardaway Jr -  I've got a great feeling when it comes to THJ. I see him as a great shooter next year(40+ 3P% on a high volume(7+ 3PA). I remeber when there were reports that he made just a minor fix on his shot and that realy helped him. After the struggles at the begining of 2019/2020 season, he steped up. Now that Richardson is here, his role drops a spot, but I think he'll benefit greatly from that. I am high on him when it comes to next season.
  5. And then we have DFS, Maxi, Burke, Brunson, who will all be an important part of the rotation.
I hope Green and Terry get their minutes, I'm high on both of them and see them as a part of our future(both in the rotation).

LET'S GO MAVS! Heart
Like Reply
I think the GOAL is clear.

#4 seed/1st round home field and advancing to the 2nd round
Like Reply
Need to incorporate the new guys quickly.  

Hope for health.  

Improve to a top 10 defense.   

Protect Luka with our bad dudes.

4-6 seed likely.  (I would like to stay away from the play in)

Sign Giannis in the summer

Rule the basketball world for 10 years.
Like Reply
I think 4-6 seed should be the goal/expectation and advance to the 2nd round. A lot rides on KP's health.

I wish we had that rotation thread on the front page bc I'd love to talk rotations.

Early prediction is that Maxi will start in place of KP, so:

Luka, Rich, THJ, DFS, Maxi is your starting 5. Brunson, Burke will get most of the guard minutes. Big rotation will be hard to guess exactly but Powell and WCS will likely get a good amount of minutes. Rick tended to use Boban sparingly last year. I think Johnson is going to be in the regular rotation. After that its hard to say if any of the rookies will get many minutes or Iwundu if he even makes the team. DFS can play both SF and PF so you could eat up a lot of "wing" minutes with DFS, THJ, and J Rich.
Like Reply
Standing wise, I think we'll slightly regress or break even from last year. We have so many injuries and so many new pieces that it's going to take some time to hit our stride.

I do hope Luka's lab work this season was just working on his 3PT and FT shooting. If he gets those two items elevated to "good" status, there is his 3rd year leap.
Like Reply
I understand the argument about injuries and incorporating new guys, but my rejoinder would be, if the new guys are such a problem as to cause a step back, we should have stood pat. Next summer, Giannis or no, is the only opportunity we have to make star additions using cap room before Luka's max kicks in. We aren't going to be impressing anyone by failing to improve.

I'm hoping that sheer determination, the dawg in Luka and the new guys, will be enough to get the Mavs over the hump. I'm hoping especially for a reversal of the clutch time woes through far stronger defense and experience on the part of those who have been here the past year or two.
Like Reply
(11-23-2020, 06:17 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I understand the argument about injuries and incorporating new guys, but my rejoinder would be, if the new guys are such a problem as to cause a step back, we should have stood pat. Next summer, Giannis or no, is the only opportunity we have to make star additions using cap room before Luka's max kicks in. We aren't going to be impressing anyone by failing to improve.

I'm hoping that sheer determination, the dawg in Luka and the new guys, will be enough to get the Mavs over the hump. I'm hoping especially for a reversal of the clutch time woes through far stronger defense and experience on the part of those who have been here the past year or two.

Kinda agree but looking at the roster I cannot remember a Mavs team with more rookies. With Johnson and maybe JJB the Mavs only have two guys over 30 on the roster.
Like Reply
(11-23-2020, 05:46 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I wish we had that rotation thread on the front page bc I'd love to talk rotations.

If you go find it and post in it then it will be on the first page! :-)
Like Reply
Regular season western conference:

1) Phoenix
2) Mavs
3) Lakers (coasting until the playoffs)
4) Nuggets
5) Clippers (the backslide begins, they missed their chance)
6) Blazers (Assuming a healthier roster)
7) Pelicans (This year’s Mavs)
8) Grizz (This year’s Mavs 2)
9) Jazz (internal strife)
10) Rockets (assuming Harden and Westbrook destroy the team. But, if they play hard, they could finish toward the top.)
11) Thunder
12) Warriors (more tanking and a lower finish is possible)

The West is ridiculous. Mavs slot in anywhere from 1 to 12. I’m optimistic, but they’ll be making some stylistic changes and may not jump out with a big streak. The only thing I feel strongly about is that the Lakers will win in the playoffs and Phoenix’s undefeated bubble was a harbinger of a fast start for the team that will be the Mavs main competition in the post Lebron West.
Like Reply
The 1st expectation a stronger/cohesive lineup. 

With seth, delon, and j. jackson gone, and replaced with burke, terry, j.rich and j.johnson, theres going to be more athleticism and length, how we utilize it is going to be detrimental to the season. 

Defintely want that #1 offensive rated team like last year, but more than that, a defense that can close out the corner three, lockdown the dribble penetratior poing guard and to utilize length to create turn overs.

BIGGEST EXPECTATION! To not lose by 5 points or less, but actually win most of our close games. 
Like Reply
Top 5 offense, top 10 defense.
Like Reply
(11-23-2020, 07:19 PM)FunkBoreland Wrote: BIGGEST EXPECTATION! To not lose by 5 points or less, but actually win most of our close games. 

I still worry ab our ability to close games bc of poor FT shooting. I think KP is clutch enough. Luka really struggles to the point where I am not sure why teams don't foul him intentionally, especially in games where he hasn't shot FT's well for the majority of the game. DFS, Maxi are not going to be clutch FT shooters. Even Curry had some issues so maybe J Rich is better? His FT stats are in the 80's which is pretty good. If J Rich is a good closer we are in business. THJ was decent if I recall with clutch FT's altho he did have some misses. He is also in the 80's career FT-shooting.

Outside of FT's, just good execution is necessary. I am hoping with these guys learning how to play together that gets better with time. I do think the continuity from last year is going to really help. 

Last year was a bunch of new guys playing together and Rick trying to figure out his rotations. This year should be much better.
Like Reply
(11-23-2020, 07:21 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Top 5 offense, top 10 defense.

[Image: szk0YUc.jpg]
Like Reply
A top 4 seed and a win in the first round has to be the goal 
If we don't, I'll have to assume it's because of another KP injury. 
And if that's the case we'll have to start rethinking the whole future with him
Like Reply
Regular season: 72-0
Playoffs: 16-0
Championship
Regular season MVP: Luka
Finals MVP: Luka

Anything less than that probably means Carlisle didn’t play Boban enough and should be fired.
Like Reply
(11-23-2020, 07:33 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 07:19 PM)FunkBoreland Wrote: BIGGEST EXPECTATION! To not lose by 5 points or less, but actually win most of our close games. 

I still worry ab our ability to close games bc of poor FT shooting. I think KP is clutch enough. Luka really struggles to the point where I am not sure why teams don't foul him intentionally, especially in games where he hasn't shot FT's well for the majority of the game. DFS, Maxi are not going to be clutch FT shooters. Even Curry had some issues so maybe J Rich is better? His FT stats are in the 80's which is pretty good. If J Rich is a good closer we are in business. THJ was decent if I recall with clutch FT's altho he did have some misses. He is also in the 80's career FT-shooting.

Outside of FT's, just good execution is necessary. I am hoping with these guys learning how to play together that gets better with time. I do think the continuity from last year is going to really help. 

Last year was a bunch of new guys playing together and Rick trying to figure out his rotations. This year should be much better.

You can actually go back to those close games and count the miss free throws by Luka that coulda, woulda, shoulda won you a game.

Put it this way, if Luka was 90% percent FT shooter, we would probably been in the top 4 seed last season ago.
Like Reply
All I care about is holding leads and closing out close games...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
I think 4-6 seed and getting to the 2nd round abs being competitive is where they should shoot for.

Honestly, as mentioned above, they should have been around the 5th/6th seed at least, if they had figured out how to close games. Their record was horrendous in those game. Get that to .500 end they flirt with 48-50 wins last season.

As for this season I expect some growing pains early while they get healthy. Stay above .500 till KP gets back and they’re golden(provided they learn to close games out).

I think the roster is better. Top 5 O and Top 10 D should be a realistic goal as well.
Like Reply