Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
EXTENSION: Gobert signs 5yr/$205M w/ UTA | DAL "significant interest" if available
The idea of cap space is most likely a thing of the past, and was a terribly ineffective strategy when we did attempt it.
Even if it is an overpay, at least there would be production instead of dead space...
One of the issues that Gobert and Porzingas run into during the flow of a game is energy levels. It is simply more difficult to play at a high level as a big man, and having the ability to sub for each other would keep their energy levels and production at a high level without dropping by playing a Boban extended minutes.

I think we have covered IF NOT overdone the lockdown wing defenders between the draft, the Richardson trade and signing Windu
Like Reply
(12-02-2020, 09:52 PM)WildArkieBoy75 Wrote: Gobert
Porzingis
DFS
Doncic
Richardson

No. Just no. Mavs aren't going to spend max money on two centers + 18 mil for Powell and Maxi (like 90 mil/yr tied up in bigs?). That's not how you win championships. Gobert and others have a rough go in the playoffs when teams go small even more down the stretch. KP is great because he can play 5 without giving up much thanks to his unique skillset. This lineup will never happen, never.
Like Reply
(12-03-2020, 10:32 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: The idea of cap space is most likely a thing of the past

Huh?

Have you been paying attention to the Mavericks and the NBA?
Like Reply
(12-03-2020, 12:11 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(12-03-2020, 10:32 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: The idea of cap space is most likely a thing of the past

Huh?

I probably should have been clearer - I was a bit rushed.
I don't think Dallas is going to go all in on cap space, no matter what the contracts look like today... I think Richardson gets re-signed and I would not be shocked IF THJ (or the player he nets in trade) is signed instead of creating cap space. This roster will NOT have space for the foreseeable future once Luka is signed.

I had this same conversation with D-Lord when Harrison Barnes got traded:
Everything about that trade screamed the creation of cap space -
I told DL not to be surprised when the MBT held the TE created by the trading Barnes into the subsequent season because Dallas had NEVER landed a key FA by outright signing, and using the TE (with the full MLE) as an over the cap team was preferable to watching cap space vanish. I was pretty well told that I did not understand the NBA (or the MBT).
SURE ENOUGH - No Kemba and people could figure out why they wasted cap space on Wright when it cut into the space - Wright was done using the MLE and the Mavs carried the Barnes TPE all the way to dust.

I see what they are doing, but I am not convinced they can finish the deal (or that any key FA's will choose Dallas over other suitors)
Like Reply
(12-03-2020, 04:43 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote:
(12-03-2020, 12:11 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:

Huh?

I probably should have been clearer - I was a bit rushed.
I don't think Dallas is going to go all in on cap space, no matter what the contracts look like today... I think Richardson gets re-signed and I would not be shocked IF THJ (or the player he nets in trade) is signed instead of creating cap space. This roster will NOT have space for the foreseeable future once Luka is signed.

Gotcha. Well, you might be right, but I submit that by MY definition, any scenario you mention above IS using cap space, or at least stemming from the plan that's in place to create it. It might be a semantic debate, or I might be misunderstanding you a bit. 

I agree that once Luka signs, they'll be done with space for a long, long time. So, if they can't get their guy at the trade deadline (simply trading the future space in the form of expirings - still "using" it) or in free agency, and they re-sign Richardson, I fully expect them to sign him LAST, after they've used the rest of the space on the type of "meh" guys most people around here are always screaming for. This should be the last resort, but I believe that Richardson signing should get them pretty far over the cap.

I agree that re-signing BOTH Richardson and THJ is probably on the list of possibilities, and I guess you could argue that at that point, nothing came of their insistence to stay flexible, but while I don't think that's super likely I wouldn't be too upset about it. At least they'd have the chance to negotiate signing the players on their own terms. I can think of worse outcomes, but I honestly think THJ becomes a different player, either via the deadline or by expiring into space. Possibly even by sign and trade away from Dallas next summer.
Like Reply
We may have only one shot at a max guy for a long time.

Do you really use it on a guy who plays the same position as your 2nd best player?

Unless the Mavs FO believe offenses will become less perimeter oriented, this seems a misallocation of talent.
Like Reply
If there were a way to add Gobert and keep Richardson I would pursue it. The 2 things I do not want to see are: a) gutting the entire team that will be a FA, in order to sign a Max FA and end up with Chandler Parsons and/or Wes Matthews; OR let an opportunity go by in order to pursue space and then be left with the same roster because we struck out (AGAIN) and scrambled to keep Richardson and THJ.

I understand the cap ramifications regarding Gobert, but IMO he is different enough from KP - who needs the best backup among the starters - that the overlap is minimal. I also prefer having assets that can be traded rather than cap space on a timer.
Like Reply
(12-06-2020, 06:23 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: t IMO he is different enough from KP - who needs the best backup among the starters - that the overlap is minimal.

Yep totally agree here.
Like Reply
(12-06-2020, 06:23 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: I understand the cap ramifications regarding Gobert, but IMO he is different enough from KP - who needs the best backup among the starters - that the overlap is minimal. I also prefer having assets that can be traded rather than cap space on a timer.

Being different and fitting together are two different things. Ya their game is different but the Mavs aren't going to start 2 centers any more than they will start 3 or 4 or 5 centers. You need a guy that will be able to rotate out to the perimeter. This is why Powell was chosen as the 4/5 hybrid last year to start next to KP. I am not a huge fan of Powell and his triple single career average but I can understand the thinking at leasts. They want KP sitting in the paint on defense and blocking shots. If Gobert is on your team he is doing that and KP isn't. So it's never going to happen.

This thread is pure fantasy! Kamm is leading ya'll astray!
Like Reply
If the Mavs think there’s a good chance KP will remain injury prone, then KP for Gobert would be a way to salvage an asset. Otherwise, these two players won’t be able to coexist, so spend your money elsewhere.
Like Reply
(12-06-2020, 09:11 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: If the Mavs think there’s a good chance KP will remain injury prone, then KP for Gobert would be a way to salvage an asset. Otherwise, these two players won’t be able to coexist, so spend your money elsewhere.

You wouldn't trade one for the other, that would be insane. You would trade KP for some package (and he still has a lot of value) and then sign Gobert in free agency or do it around the same time in the summer.

On paper that looks okay until you remember that guys like Gobert get played off the court in the playoffs when it matters. Remind me why we want to pay a center max money who can't play in crunch time? Again if you say "well hey if KP is going to be injured all the time then he won't be playing either" then fine but I don't want to pay big money to a guy that can't play in these small-ball lineups.
Like Reply
(12-06-2020, 08:11 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: This thread is pure fantasy! Kamm is leading ya'll astray!

https://media.giphy.com/media/13d2jHlSlxklVe/giphy.gif
Like Reply
(12-06-2020, 07:57 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Yep totally agree here.

You AGREE with "the overlap is minimal?"

[Image: source.gif]
Like Reply
Do you really want to use all your cap space on a traditional center in 2021? The game has changed. Get out of the way Rudy, Luka is coming through.

A better alternative is watching old Dampier videos on YouTube.
Like Reply
(12-06-2020, 12:20 PM)madmavsgirl Wrote: Do you really want to use all your cap space on a traditional center in 2021?  The game has changed.  Get out of the way Rudy, Luka is coming through.

A better alternative is watching old Dampier videos on YouTube.

[Image: tenor.gif]
Like Reply
Yeah but when I wanted to keep Nash instead of Dampier people said that was wrong...

What FA can Dallas sign that would be worth letting all of the current players who are expiring walk?? There is only one answer and if he signs a Supermax this week that is off the table.

We are sitting on a Powder Keg, and we usually just blow those
Like Reply
(12-06-2020, 08:03 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: Yeah but when I wanted to keep Nash instead of Dampier people said that was wrong...

What FA can Dallas sign that would be worth letting all of the current players who are expiring walk?? There is only one answer and if he signs a Supermax this week that is off the table.

We are sitting on a Powder Keg, and we usually just blow those

Doesn't have to be a FA.  I think a trade becomes the most likely route if Giannis resigns with Milwaukee.
Like Reply
(12-06-2020, 08:32 PM)madmavsgirl Wrote: Doesn't have to be a FA.  I think a trade becomes the most likely route if Giannis resigns with Milwaukee.
Which is the same as saying, this next TDL and FA season is not as important as advertised. We can always make said trades. Just make the player say YES. That is all.
Like Reply
(12-06-2020, 08:41 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Which is the same as saying, this next TDL and FA season is not as important as advertised. 

Nope. 

Completely different game once Luka signs that extension, and no matter how many times you try to suggest otherwise, it will always be incorrect. 

I agree that every TDL and off season FEELS important to we, the fans, but I push back strongly that the levels of importance are EQUAL, and there are definitely decision points every so often that send the franchise in different directions, with each new direction having tons of branching paths that might or might not lead them where we all want them to go. 

If KP is the 2nd best player on this team at the end of next summer, I think their chances of creating a DYNASTY during the Luka era are over. To me, that's HUGE, and more important than other TDL's and free agencies. When the clock strikes midnight on this plan and they pull their hand out of the grab bag, it doesn't have to be holding Giannis, but if it's not holding another offensive (hopefully two-way) DIFFERENCE MAKER, or at least a young player with a good chance of becoming one, I'm going to be disappointed.
Like Reply
(12-06-2020, 08:48 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Nope. 
First off.

Plan Powder!

Second, I see your Nope and raise you a HELLZ YEA! The "Z" because that makes it from the future, which is just better.

Also, part of the reason why it feels more important than other offseasons and TDLs is because of the results of the last 2 FA periods.
Like Reply