Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
EXTENSION: Gobert signs 5yr/$205M w/ UTA | DAL "significant interest" if available
I actually do think Jazz will win this series altho its sort of a toss-up at the moment. The Suns are really hot (pun intended) so I think that is a toss-up too.
Like Reply
(06-15-2021, 04:20 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: If I recall you weren't very high on PG or Donovan so that should be a wash.

Either way, I expect teams to win with the best player. That's my general rule of thumb.
Like Reply
Just so we're clear here is Kamm's top 8 guys:

"If specifically looking at impact on winning I personally (based on impact stats) think Giannis, LeBron, Kawhi, Jokic, and Luka are the clear top 5 (not in that order). I think Harden, Curry, and Gobert are probably the next three to round out the top 8.

But statistically (taking out the romance of glossy fan impressions and opinions) Gobert is unquestionably at least top 15.

If I were building a team, as unglamorous as it would be, I would take Gobert over Davis, Durant, Embiid, Lillard, Butler, Tatum, Paul, Irving, Murray, etc., and most certainly over Mitchell (I think Donovan is VASTLY overrated)."

So I expect the Jazz to be Kamm's favorites in the next two rounds if they do get past the Clippers. Suns do not have a top 10 guy and looks like no one in East made the list unless the injured Nets get healthy in a hurry.
Like Reply
(06-15-2021, 04:52 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: So I expect the Jazz to be Kamm's favorites in the next two rounds if they do get past the Clippers. Suns do not have a top 10 guy and looks like no one in East made the list unless the injured Nets get healthy in a hurry.

Dang, who were you quoting in that post? That dude sure knows his basketball!!! Wink 

Yes, I would favor winner of LAC/UTA over PHX. BRK is my favorite in the East IF Harden is healthy.
Like Reply
(06-15-2021, 04:59 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Dang, who were you quoting in that post? That dude sure knows his basketball!!! Wink 

Yes, I would favor winner of LAC/UTA over PHX. BRK is my favorite in the East IF Harden is healthy.

We have receipts, great!
Like Reply
MIL my fav in the East if they take down BRK.
Like Reply
Kevin Durant right now making this list look silly.
Like Reply
(06-15-2021, 09:46 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Kevin Durant right now making this list look silly.

Yep. He had to nut up and he did.
Like Reply
(06-15-2021, 09:02 PM)Kammrath Wrote: MIL my fav in the East if they take down BRK.

lol

team that wins the nba title is my favorite
Like Reply
(06-15-2021, 10:17 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: do you own this website now?

serious question.  because ill exit now if you do.

Sorry you're having a bad night, and sometimes Kamm's opinions can be aggressive, but he does an awful lot of good things for this community and I'm sure 99.9% of us are glad he's here. 

I like your stuff, too, so I hope you don't leave, but if you can't relate to others in a more civil way maybe you should tap out, just for a little while?
Like Reply
The Jazz D is getting utterly obliterated by the Clippers. They actually look worse than the Mavs tonight. Gobert has become a complete liability vs. small ball.
Like Reply
I think we can stick a fork in this thread now.

There are two 7-footers in the NBA who deserve max contracts, Jokic and Embiid.
Like Reply
[Image: 967e8105-5f0b-4dc2-a101-0b347fa1fb4c-jpeg.2814972]
Like Reply
https://media.giphy.com/media/xT9IgrTupW.../giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 11:27 PM)Branduil Wrote: The Jazz D is getting utterly obliterated by the Clippers. They actually look worse than the Mavs tonight. Gobert has become a complete liability vs. small ball.

I am aghast. Less than 2 weeks ago I thought Gobert was the exception and his defensive talent superseded any gimmick.

And then games 3, 4, 5, and 6 happened. In each successive game Gobert's impact diminished 10 fold. 

Jokic might be the only big in the NBA that deserves a max contract.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Gobert in the playoffs this year:

+4.0 Offensive on/off
+8.0 Defensive on/off
+12.0 Net on/off

Even though he was not very effective in Game 6 (we should never pile on a player for one bad game) he was THE anchor for the D of UTA in the PLAYOFFS and they were 8 pts better defensively with him playing AND he was a positive on the offensive side. 

O'Neal has long been their weak link...-14.6 on D just in the playoffs. Favors was -8.8 on D in the playoffs. 

I still think Gobert is an elite top 10 player and you can build a team around him. I cannot imagine what you guys would have been saying about Dirk at the respective stage of his career.
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 06:12 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Gobert in the playoffs this year:

+4.0 Offensive on/off
+8.0 Defensive on/off
+12.0 Net on/off

If Favors was exposed even more than Gobert, it doesn't mean Gobert works... Utah defense was bad.

Gobert is a great defender, but his strength is help defense. Five out take help defense away. The only way to counter that is force them to go bigger (or have a better 5 out team, but that is quite a challenge based on quality of Clippers wings). Neither Mavs nor Utah succeded in that and both for the same reason - their bigs are unable to punish smaller guys. Clippers masterfully took away PnR. Luka/Kawhi/George can pick a defender they like and feast on him. KP and Gobert can't. Mavs tried to kill Clippers small ball with Bobi but he just doesn't have enough quality - too slow, not good enough of a passer (and refs allow small guys beat the hell out of big ones without blowing the whistle unless they call an offensive foul). I would actually say KP can be more useful than Gobert - they are both similarly exposed defensively against 5 out but KP can at least space the floor to create driving lanes for wings. 

On the other hand Clippers sure have some luck to an extent. Reggie Jackson is playing at an all star level after 10+ years of very average NBA career. Mann appeared out of nowhere and scored 39 in game 6. Still, everyone knew Clippers are a good shooting team.
Like Reply
For anyone who doesn't believe what I said about Gobert against 5 out offense. Utah put him on Mann, he tried to play help defense, leading to wiiiiiiiide open Mann shots. And he converted. If Gobert wouldn't help, George would feast one on one against his defender.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?ContextMeasure=FG3M&EndPeriod=0&EndRange=28800&GameID=0042000226&PlayerID=1629611&RangeType=0&Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Playoffs&StartPeriod=0&StartRange=0&TeamID=1610612746&flag=3&sct=plot§ion=game
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 06:30 AM)omahen Wrote: I would actually say KP can be more useful than Gobert

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=15646899]
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 06:12 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Gobert in the playoffs this year:

+4.0 Offensive on/off
+8.0 Defensive on/off
+12.0 Net on/off

Even though he was not very effective in Game 6 (we should never pile on a player for one bad game) he was THE anchor for the D of UTA in the PLAYOFFS and they were 8 pts better defensively with him playing AND he was a positive on the offensive side. 

O'Neal has long been their weak link...-14.6 on D just in the playoffs. Favors was -8.8 on D in the playoffs. 

I still think Gobert is an elite top 10 player and you can build a team around him. I cannot imagine what you guys would have been saying about Dirk at the respective stage of his career.
Well Dirk was rightfully criticized after the 2007 debacle, and he responded by perfecting his post game and making it so teams could no longer get away with small guys guarding him. I guess we'll see if Gobert can develop any kind of post game at all.
Like Reply