Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
EXTENSION: Gobert signs 5yr/$205M w/ UTA | DAL "significant interest" if available
(12-26-2020, 11:31 PM)FunkBoreland Wrote: I know we gave @Kammrath a lot of grief, but seeing how the Mavs lack rebounds in the past game, having Gobert would of made the Mavs 2-0 by now.

That's like saying if the Mavs had actual wheels on their car they'd be able to drive!

I think a lower level center would also have helped swing the games the other way for the Mavs. Rudy is overkill. If he was here of course we'd be 2-0. But I think we could also be 2-0 if we had Myles Turner/Jonas Valanciunas/Steven Adams/ etc. And we'd have the added benefit of adding another 15-19 mil dollar guy along with them. Is that to say all those guys are nearly in the same stratosphere as Rudy? Of course not that's ludicrous. But it's more of a testament to how much importance a 5 man is in this day and age.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I don't think you guys can compare a Gobert / Porzingis pairing to Embid / Horfod. THat tandem failed because of Ben Simmons who is very limited offensively. If you swap Embid and Luka on those teams I promise you the results are different. I would also call into question the issues that Tobias Harris presented. You essentially had 3 power forwards and 1 center on the floor at one time. If the Mavericks did make such as move you would have to move Finney Smith to the bench and maybe go after a true 3 like Fournier.

This pairing would work

Luka, Richardson, Fournier, Porzingis, Gobert

This would also work

Luka, Richardson, Fournier, Porzingis, Drummond.

Drummond and Gobert and beasts in the pick and roll but to make it work you need 3 guard and wing oriented offensive threats around them.
Like Reply
The Gobert-led Jazz shot 38% against the TWolves today. No one doubts his defensive ability, but it seems to be very difficult to build a good offense around him. A max player shouldn't be limited to rim-running and putbacks.
Like Reply
(12-27-2020, 03:07 AM)Branduil Wrote: it seems to be very difficult to build a good offense around him.

I'm not going to get sucked into this....but in brief:

1) Gobert was +7 in that loss, whereas as the team as a whole was -5....so he was +12, on/off. 

2) Gobert's impact on offense is hugely positive. Going from memory I think his offensive impact has been bigger than his defensive impact for most of his career. 

Gobert cannot make vastly overrated players like Dovonan Mitchell shoot better than 6-23 (26% and was -5). The offensive struggles of UTA are NOT Gobert's fault.
Like Reply
If only he would have made it to the summer....
Like Reply
Still don’t like the idea of playing two centers at once, but I am now 100% behind the idea that you get Gobert if you have the chance, no matter what.

He’s just a better player than Porzingis. Right now, the difference is even more glaring.
Like Reply
Controls the paint better than anyone. Crucial thing in basketball. 

KP on other hand, everyone has been able to score on him in the paint since he returned. 

Gobert is a clearly better player, no doubt about that. His defensive and offensive movement, how he gains position and space, is far better.
Like Reply
KP is not near as good as Gobert. Never has been. Gobert is the best defender in the NBA, can rebound, shoots a high percentage, and can even score a little, the exact contributions needed for a center.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/DLocke09/status/1362428644056961027
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/millerjryan/status/1...5151776769
Like Reply
He good
Like Reply
I don't think I can be classified as a Gobert hater anymore altho I want to see him do it in the playoffs. Utah is absolutely a contender this year so lets see them make some noise.
Like Reply
(02-18-2021, 03:44 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I don't think I can be classified as a Gobert hater anymore

Your title reflects that fact. Smile
Like Reply
I knew he wasn't something we COULD acquire but I also knew EVERY one should want that guy!
You just don't turn your nose up at Best Players at their position - and the masses were!
BTW we have people trying to get Drummond before he is cut by Cleveland, but Gobert didn't make sense??
Like Reply
(02-18-2021, 05:56 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: BTW we have people trying to get Drummond before he is cut by Cleveland, but Gobert didn't make sense??

[Image: tenor.gif]
Like Reply
(02-18-2021, 05:57 PM)Kammrath Wrote: [Image: tenor.gif]

I mean I think offering up our trash for Drummond is different than giving up assets or a max deal for Gobert. Sort of apples and oranges but its moot anyway as Gobert is not available.
Like Reply
(02-18-2021, 05:56 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: BTW we have people trying to get Drummond before he is cut by Cleveland, but Gobert didn't make sense??
KL was one of the few putting up resistance to Gobert. There weren't all that many. I don't know who they were, but I'd venture to guess the ones that were against Gobert are also the ones against Drummond.
Like Reply
(02-18-2021, 06:28 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: KL was one of the few putting up resistance to Gobert. There weren't all that many. I don't know who they were, but I'd venture to guess the ones that were against Gobert are also the ones against Drummond.

Don´t think he was against Gobert. He was against the KP/Gobert pairing and that makes even more sense today because KPs mobility, perimeter + pick and roll defense are even worse than expected.
Like Reply
(02-18-2021, 03:47 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Your title reflects that fact. Smile

Letting him off waaaaay too easily.  Our hearts and Rudy's will always know the turth.
Like Reply
The biggest problem with the Mavs since the title run is that they have been trying to take short cuts to another title. Just put the best team you can and don’t worry about the rest. 

Teams like the Mavs and Utah are never going to get premium FA putting them as the first choice. Instead of overthinking Gobert’s flaws or the team’s ceiling they paid a darn good player and kept him. They might never win a title but they will put a good product out there night in night out.  In the end there is nothing wrong with that. Mavs might want to pay attention.
Like Reply