Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
EXTENSION: Gobert signs 5yr/$205M w/ UTA | DAL "significant interest" if available
(11-22-2020, 04:28 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(11-22-2020, 04:25 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://media.giphy.com/media/c6DIpCp1922KQ/giphy.gif

[Image: tenor.gif]

Smile
GOT Fans then: Oh no poor kid, hopefully he´s alright.
GOT fans now: Why couldn´t he just die.
Like Reply
Sorry loki but your wallet doesn't dictate your end game match up. We don't sit Luka because he is on a rookie contract...
IF the additions of athletic wings accomplishes anything it should minimize the effectiveness of small ball lineups against Dallas' 3 wings, Luka, and a big. The hole I would be concerned with is teams going big: AD and Howard for example. Zion and Adams will be a load for us to handle.

IMO adding a Gobert is a signal that we are operating over the cap and it doesn't matter how much he and KP make as long as Dallas is not hard capped in the process.
Like Reply
KP - Dirk
Gobert - Tyson

Im in
Like Reply
(11-22-2020, 06:28 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: Sorry loki but your wallet doesn't dictate your end game match up. We don't sit Luka because he is on a rookie contract...
IF the additions of athletic wings accomplishes anything it should minimize the effectiveness of small ball lineups against Dallas' 3 wings, Luka, and a big. The hole I would be concerned with is teams going big: AD and Howard for example. Zion and Adams will be a load for us to handle.

IMO adding a Gobert is a signal that we are operating over the cap and it doesn't matter how much he and KP make as long as Dallas is not hard capped in the process.

It's not about giving playing time based on salary. By all means, play whoever gives you the best chance to win, whether they are on a max or minimum contract. But if you commit to two max deals and those two players end up not closing games together, you are almost certainly going to be short of talent at other positions in crunch time. And you might have a trade demand on your hands before long.

I think KP/Gobert's contract sizes would matter even when Dallas is over the cap. The luxury tax is strict enough that it would even make Cuban hesitate to go too crazy. Philly thought it wasn't important when they maxed Harris and signed Horford. Then they had to give up draft picks to move Horford and Richardson in order to retool.
Like Reply
It's a separate conversation, really, but Cuban has not paid the LT since the 2011 CBA. 

Now, some people see a situation wherein there has been no reason for him to do so, and are confident that he's likely to do it soon, now that the team is good again. Others wonder whether the CBA might've affected his thinking about bringing some players from the championship team back and trying to build from there, and think maybe he is not willing to ever pay the tax again. 

I'm somewhere in between. I think he does it if he feels there is an OVERWHELMINGLY likely chance the choice pays off, but I don't think he's looking to put himself in that situation soon if he can avoid it, and I don't blame him.
Like Reply
(11-22-2020, 07:02 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It's a separate conversation, really, but Cuban has not paid the LT since the 2011 CBA. 

Now, some people see a situation wherein there has been no reason for him to do so, and are confident that he's likely to do it soon, now that the team is good again. Others wonder whether he has turned a page and is less willing to do so ever again. 

I'm somewhere in between. I think he does it if he feels there is an OVERWHELMINGLY likely chance the choice pays off, but I don't think he's looking to put himself in that situation soon if he can avoid it, and I don't blame him.

I think part of it is trying to be careful about the repeater tax. If you're paying the tax in years where you don't have a legit shot at a championship, that could come back to haunt you in the future when you really are contending.
Like Reply
(11-22-2020, 07:07 PM)loki Wrote: I think part of it is trying to be careful about the repeater tax. If you're paying the tax in years where you don't have a legit shot at a championship, that could come back to haunt you in the future when you really are contending.

Probably, yeah. 

Imagine being in the cap situation the GSW have endured recently, only WITHOUT the championships!!!

That would be truly, truly sad, and THAT'S how you're guaranteed to lose Luka.
Like Reply
(11-22-2020, 07:11 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-22-2020, 07:07 PM)loki Wrote: I think part of it is trying to be careful about the repeater tax. If you're paying the tax in years where you don't have a legit shot at a championship, that could come back to haunt you in the future when you really are contending.

Probably, yeah. 

Imagine being in the cap situation the GSW have endured recently, only WITHOUT the championships!!!

That would be truly, truly sad, and THAT'S how you're guaranteed to lose Luka.

Cuban is rich but not Ballmer level I don´t care about the luxury tax rich. I am not really sure how the corona crisis impacted his business. That could influence his decision as well. I agree with @"KillerLeft". He will pay but only if he is really confident that the Mavs are a true contender. For example if they add Giannis.

Last year the Mavs could have signed one more player for nearly 10mio but they punted on the opportunity. This year they could have added more salary as well but decided not to do it. I think a few years ago he actually had to pay because the Mavs ended the season under the minimum salary line.
If he continues with plan flexibility we probably won´t see him pay luxury tax ever again. If he commits next summer he probably will.
Like Reply
I'm in.  

- Gobert does not need the ball to be effective; there's less tension on the offense if say, Giannis comes here.
- Personality fit (Euro Mavs!)
- He can't be that bad replacing Dwight or WCS beside KP/Maxi.
- KP getting exposed is overblown IMHO, considering we've upgraded our defense in other positions.
- If it doesn't work out, one of Rudy or KP should be tradeable, as we've seen supposedly unmovable contracts move recently.
Like Reply
(11-22-2020, 08:05 PM)radioaktiv Wrote: KP getting exposed is overblown IMHO, considering we've upgraded our defense in other positions.
I think this is spot on. Even good defenders get passed by, but when they do, they at least know how to cut off other avenues of scoring, which in turn allows KP to get to the spot and take away the avenue the offensive player is taking.

This would also be the case with KP and Gobert on the court together. They are both long enough to even get a block from behind. With 1 in front and 1 behind, how many times will we see that player backing back out? We've seen this in the few moments where KP and Boban played together. 

Theres some, like Lillard, that are able to expose this even still. Those are the guys you let have theirs, and stop the rest on the team. Which after this offseason, we can say we have the personnel to do.
Like Reply
Gobert makes zero sense to me with KP here. If KP doesn't work out, then I don't mind getting Gobert, but I can't imagine them on this team together.
Like Reply
Just wanted to remind everyone on Gobert's official measurements:

7'2" 
7'8.5" wingspan (!!!)
9'7" standing reach
Like Reply
Just wanted to remind everyone of Barea's official measurements:

5'10"
5'10 3/4" Wingspan
6'6 standing reach
Like Reply
If Mavs get Gobert its because they have traded KP. They are not playing those two together, it's not happening in any universe we live in.
Like Reply
Great post Kamm, much appreciation dude.

Important to point out that Gobert is not plan A, but probably the best player we could realistically hope to get

A. Giannis
B. Paul George
C. Gobert
Like Reply
(11-23-2020, 10:25 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Important to point out that Gobert is not plan A, but probably the best player we could realistically hope to get

Yeah I put "Plan A" in quotes just to highlight that maybe the Mavs KNOW that Giannis the REAL Plan A is just a slim hope and that they are really all in on 2021 because they think at minimum Gobert is a realistic possibility. I am NOT suggesting they would take Gobert over Giannis. Not suggesting that one bit.
Like Reply
The Gobert Plan only works if Mark is fine with going well above the tax line for a few years. Nothing he’s done as owner would suggest he wouldn’t do that for a contender. And recent history has shown us how easy it is to move “untradeable” contracts

You don’t do it like the 76ers did without a real plan. You would plan it out in advance to avoid the repeater tax. Our current roster(and moves we made) have set this up though. Final move this year is dump Powell

2021-22

Luka on his last year of rookie contract
DFS last cheap year

Because of this and the expirings we have more space than we will ever have. It makes sense to load up

Max slot and Richardson caphold will both fit.

1. Re-sign Hardaway to a team friendly deal(donnie works his father and tells him this the only way he gets to stay) $10-12 million a year
2. Sign Gobert
3. With cap space now already spent, we re-sign Richardson and go over the cap

2022 offseason
1. Luka max kicks in
2. DFS gets a big raise

Luka/Brunson
Richardson/Terry
THj/DFS/Green
KP/DFS/Maxi
Gobert/Maxi

I don’t see any realistic scenarios where we can accumulate more talent than this. This also lets us keep our picks to make trades to improve on top of these guys
Like Reply
(11-23-2020, 06:52 AM)Branduil Wrote: Gobert makes zero sense to me with KP here. If KP doesn't work out, then I don't mind getting Gobert, but I can't imagine them on this team together.

Makes perfect sense actually and it would be a lethal combination. 

The screens that he would be able to set for Luka would be amazing with the amount of space he covers. 

I am 100% on the Gobert train and in fact, I want him more than Giannis
Like Reply
(11-23-2020, 11:39 PM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: I am 100% on the Gobert train and in fact, I want him more than Giannis

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(11-23-2020, 11:39 PM)Omega_Supreme Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 06:52 AM)Branduil Wrote: Gobert makes zero sense to me with KP here. If KP doesn't work out, then I don't mind getting Gobert, but I can't imagine them on this team together.

Makes perfect sense actually and it would be a lethal combination. 

The screens that he would be able to set for Luka would be amazing with the amount of space he covers. 

I am 100% on the Gobert train and in fact, I want him more than Giannis
https://media.giphy.com/media/TDnai8jDt7iSI/giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply