Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#31 PICK: Tyrell Terry | 6' 3" | 6' 1.75" wingspan
(11-21-2020, 02:43 PM)burekemde Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 11:31 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 11:26 AM)khaled1987 Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 11:04 AM)omahen Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 10:24 AM)burekemde Wrote: Great post, I agree with all of this. Richardson is set to play Currys role and mostly from bench sometimes start depending on matchup.

Richardson will be a starter. No question about it

I think there is actually questions about it.
I think Luka,THJ even if folks don't like it) KP are lock to be startes, DFS are close to that too, leaving one spot for many options.
I don't think there will be one binnedas a starter with Richardson, Maxi & DP rotating in it

Disagree. Richardson is the lock. DFS/Maxi/Powell and maybe Johnson are the options at the final spot. Of course, we won't know for sure until KP returns and even then, everyone will have to be healthy (and when does that ever happen).

We have 3 SG on the roster. THJ, Richardson and now Terry. Richardson will battle with THJ for starting minutes. THJ is most likely to start and I do not see that change but richardson will get siginificant minutes even more than curry. DFS is lock on SF position. Johnson and Green will get minutes and rotate. Bey will be in g league. On PG we have Luka Brunson and Burke. I think to me its clear they have solidified depth on the SG and SF with this offseason. So far at least.

Do you believe RC to be the stupidest coach in the NBA?

Richardson is the Mavs' third-best player after Luka and KP. Don't even try to argue THJ, a single-skill player, over him. If the Mavs do not start Richardson given the roster they have, then the Mavs have the most abjectly stupid coaching staff in the NBA, period. There's no "locked in" except Luka and KP.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 03:04 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 11:04 AM)omahen Wrote: Richardson will be a starter. No question about it

I think Luka,THJ even if folks don't like it) KP are lock to be startes, DFS are close to that too, leaving one spot for many options.
I don't think there will be one binnedas a starter  with Richardson, Maxi & DP rotating in it

Disagree.  Richardson is the lock.  DFS/Maxi/Powell and maybe Johnson are the options at the final spot.  Of course, we won't know for sure until KP returns and even then, everyone will have to be healthy (and when does that ever happen).

We have 3 SG on the roster. THJ, Richardson and now Terry. Richardson will battle with THJ for starting minutes. THJ is most likely to start and I do not see that change but richardson will get siginificant minutes even more than curry. DFS is lock on SF position. Johnson and Green will get minutes and rotate. Bey will be in g league. On PG we have Luka Brunson and Burke. I think to me its clear they have solidified depth on the SG and SF with this offseason. So far at least.

Richardson is the Mavs' third-best player after Luka and KP. Don't even try to argue THJ, a single-skill player, over him. If the Mavs do not start Richardson given the roster they have, then the Mavs have the most abjectly stupid coaching staff in the NBA, period. There's no "locked in" except Luka and KP.

Richardson may eventually beat THJ for starting job. But he wont play SF, he is far better as SG.

Its either THJ or Richardson on SG. One thing is for sure, they will play significant minutes both of them, it will be a healthy competition. 

Johnson and Green will provide depth to DFS on the SF.
Like Reply
I just have to stress, it's not 1995.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 03:16 PM)burekemde Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 11:04 AM)omahen Wrote: Richardson will be a starter. No question about it

I don't think there will be one binnedas a starter with Richardson, Maxi & DP rotating in it

Disagree. Richardson is the lock. DFS/Maxi/Powell and maybe Johnson are the options at the final spot. Of course, we won't know for sure until KP returns and even then, everyone will have to be healthy (and when does that ever happen).

Richardson may eventually beat THJ for starting job. But he wont play SF, he is far better as SG.

Its either THJ or Richardson on SG. One thing is for sure, they will play significant minutes both of them, it will be a healthy competition.

You realize that THJ played a poop-ton of minutes at SF last year, right?

Also, as has been pointed out elsewhere (by KL, IIRC?) Luka might be best-off playing with two guards, being the SF on defense. Basically, as many others have said, the four is the Mavs' open position right now, not the two or three.
Like Reply
Dallas used a starting lineup (with minor variations) of Luka / Curry / THJ / DFS / Porzingis at least 16 times last regular season. If Richardson is a Curry replacement, he will slot right in at the 2 in that lineup. They may go bigger in some matchups with DFS coming off the bench, but I don't think that will be the default.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 03:23 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 03:16 PM)burekemde Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 11:31 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Disagree.  Richardson is the lock.  DFS/Maxi/Powell and maybe Johnson are the options at the final spot.  Of course, we won't know for sure until KP returns and even then, everyone will have to be healthy (and when does that ever happen).

You realize that THJ played a poop-ton of minutes at SF last year, right?

Also, as has been pointed out elsewhere (by KL, IIRC?) Luka might be best-off playing with two guards, being the SF on defense. Basically, as many others have said, the four is the Mavs' open position right now, not the two or three.

If the situation allows, yes this occurred and will again occur to see Richardson and THJ on the same time. Do not expect this to be the most effective formula to win the championship. Richardson is a SG. So is THJ. They cant handle the great SFs of the league you meet playoff time.

DFS it is at SF.

At SG it will be THJ and Richardson. This is what Richardson has been traded for, to replace Curry and add some defense from bench, sometimes start next to THJ, depending how the opponents wing is. Again, exactly as Curry last season, we did see THJ and Curry start indeed when the matchup was for it.

(11-21-2020, 03:24 PM)loki Wrote: Dallas used a starting lineup (with minor variations) of Luka / Curry / THJ / DFS / Porzingis at least 16 times last regular season. If Richardson is a Curry replacement, he will slot right in at the 2 in that lineup. They may go bigger in some matchups with DFS coming off the bench, but I don't think that will be the default.

Agree loki. Only when the opponents SF is not dominant that this can be done. When you meet the Kawhi's and the Lebrons in the playoffs and important season games. It's all DFS at SF. And either THJ or Richardson at SG. It will most of time be THJ due to elite shooting. We will see how Richardson does. I think as depth SG he will do better than Curry as he will add defense as well. It gives more tactical power to Carlise to have two different type of shooting guards, while THJ and Currys skill sets were too similar.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 03:26 PM)burekemde Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 03:24 PM)loki Wrote: Dallas used a starting lineup (with minor variations) of Luka / Curry / THJ / DFS / Porzingis at least 16 times last regular season. If Richardson is a Curry replacement, he will slot right in at the 2 in that lineup. They may go bigger in some matchups with DFS coming off the bench, but I don't think that will be the default.

Agree loki. Only when the opponents SF is not dominant that this can be done. When you meet the Kawhi's and the Lebrons in the playoffs and important season games. It's all DFS at SF. And either THJ or Richardson at SG. It will most of time be THJ due to elite shooting. We will see how Richardson does. I think as depth SG he will do better than Curry as he will add defense as well. It gives more tactical power to Carlise to have two different type of shooting guards, while THJ and Currys skill sets were too similar.

Pretty sure loki was not agreeing with you, my dude.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 03:37 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:

I wouldnt like see THJ or Richardson guard the elite SF's. It will be DFS, anything else doesnt make sense.

Of course they will get playing time whenever this is not the case.

In playoffs, expect either THJ or Richardson on the bench. They are both shooting guards.
Like Reply
(11-19-2020, 12:23 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 11:34 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 09:04 AM)MrGoat Wrote: Yikes on the measurables. I'm assuming this kid can really shoot then, that would make the Curry trade make more sense. Which of our undersized guards is on the way out I wonder?

?????? Seth Curry!!!!

And JJB!!!

And Trey Burke

Looks like no on JJB, he's here to stay. Not sure I see a spot for Burke though
Like Reply
I think we have our top 3 starters.

Luka
Richardson
-
KP
-

Then we have 3 or 4 mix and match starters

-
-
DFS
THJ
Powell
Kleber

And that’s basically our rotation, plus a bupg, microwave scorer/shooter, and wing-depth/foul depth.

Lots of competition for play time on this roster which I love.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 03:40 PM)burekemde Wrote:

I wouldnt like see THJ or Richardson guard the elite SF's. It will be DFS, anything else doesnt make sense.

In playoffs, expect either THJ or Richardson on the bench. They are both shooting guards.

DFS was no demigod against the Lebrons and Kawhis. There is no way the Mavs bench Richardson or THJ in the playoffs (assuming THJ is still here) - none. Richardson can guard some threes, as can Johnson. There's flexibility. In the earlier discussion as well, it's about hiding Luka on defense, on the most slow-footed offensive player. Of course, what's missing from that equation is that if Luka can't develop into a plus defender, then the Mavs have ***two*** holes on perimeter defense - Luka and THJ.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 05:37 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 03:40 PM)burekemde Wrote:

DFS was no demigod against the Lebrons and Kawhis. There is no way the Mavs bench Richardson or THJ in the playoffs (assuming THJ is still here) - none. Richardson can guard some threes, as can Johnson. There's flexibility. In the earlier discussion as well, it's about hiding Luka on defense, on the most slow-footed offensive player. Of course, what's missing from that equation is that if Luka can't develop into a plus defender, then the Mavs have ***two*** holes on perimeter defense - Luka and THJ.

Our most common lineup last season is 16 games of Luka-THJ-DFS-KP-Powell. Thus, THJ played the SG in the most common starting lineup and not at SF. DFS was the main SF.

Curry was backing up THJ at SG in the most common situations.

Richardson is replacing Currys role, as the depth SG. Either THJ or Richardson will start, most common lineup is expected to be with one of the two, and not with both of them in.

Against Clippers, as long as KP was in, THJ was again SG with Curry as the bench player.

I fully expect Richardson to play the depth at SG and come in at starting SF position in some matchups, however this will not be against the best teams, featuring a great offensive wing. It will always DFS that will be the preferred one here and either THJ or Richardson benched.

It can be defined as wanted. SG/SF, or wings with more position-less definition. But in most common lineups, and against best teams, expect DFS to play one of the wing positions and for the other expect THJ and Richardson competition.

I do expect at start of season when KP is out for Richardson and THJ to get more games with both in, and DFS at PF, but this should change as soon as KP is back.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 06:48 PM)burekemd Wrote: Our most common lineup last season is 16 games of Luka-THJ-DFS-KP-Powell. Thus, THJ played the SG in the most common starting lineup and not at SF. DFS was the main SF.

Richardson is replacing Currys role, as the depth SG. Either THJ or Richardson will start, most common lineup is expected to be with one of the two, and not with both of them in.

Against Clippers, as long as KP was in, THJ was again SG with Curry as the bench player.

I fully expect Richardson to play the depth at SG and come in at starting SF position in some matchups, however this will not be against the best teams, featuring a great offensive wing. It will always DFS that will be the preferred one here and either THJ or Richardson benched.

It can be defined as wanted. SG/SF, or wings with more position-less definition. But in most common lineups, and against best teams, expect DFS to play one of the wing positions and for the other expect THJ and Richardson competition.

I do expect at start of season when KP is out for Richardson and THJ to get more games with both in, and DFS at PF, but this should change as soon as KP is back.
This is just a completely wrong interpretation of this trade, IMO. The Mavs didn't trade for JRich to replace Curry, they traded to UPGRADE their starting lineup. We know the Mavs want a tall, versatile defensive guard to start next to Luka- this was the entire reason they signed Delon Wright. Wright was supposed to be a starter- unfortunately they didn't realize he would never learn to shoot and was incapable of playing off-ball. JRich is the player they WISHED Delon Wright could become.

The replacement for Curry is in the title of this topic.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/13...5881218049
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 04:44 PM)MrGoat Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 12:23 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 11:34 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 09:04 AM)MrGoat Wrote: Yikes on the measurables. I'm assuming this kid can really shoot then, that would make the Curry trade make more sense. Which of our undersized guards is on the way out I wonder?

?????? Seth Curry!!!!

And JJB!!!

And Trey Burke

Looks like no on JJB, he's here to stay. Not sure I see a spot for Burke though

And now Burke's back too. How many undersized guards are we going to keep?  Huh
Like Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdgv4J5y3vQ
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 07:38 PM)Branduil Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 06:48 PM)burekemd Wrote: Our most common lineup last season is 16 games of Luka-THJ-DFS-KP-Powell. Thus, THJ played the SG in the most common starting lineup and not at SF. DFS was the main SF.

This is just a completely wrong interpretation of this trade, IMO. The Mavs didn't trade for JRich to replace Curry, they traded to UPGRADE their starting lineup. We know the Mavs want a tall, versatile defensive guard to start next to Luka- this was the entire reason they signed Delon Wright. Wright was supposed to be a starter- unfortunately they didn't realize he would never learn to shoot and was incapable of playing off-ball. JRich is the player they WISHED Delon Wright could become.

The replacement for Curry is in the title of this topic.

I agree with that this might be correct, that Richardson may be a better player next to Luka than THJ. My main point is that then we will see Richardson-DFS on the wing as the default. And THJ coming off the bench. As the most common lineup and in the playoffs. And when matchups allow for this, Richardson-THJ lineup as well will be used, for instance against undersized more defensive minded wings.

Richardson will, as Curry did before, compete with THJ for starting at SG.

Thus in this sense he is replacement for Curry, he will play same role. He might be better at it and start. Time will tell. We will then also know how important or not is THJ's elite shooting.
Like Reply
I don't think the MBT see JRich and THJ as fighting for the same spot, though. I think the plan is to go with 4 wings+KP, with Maxi replacing DFS against select opponents.
Like Reply
Yeah I’m still thinking they’re expecting Luka/Richardson/THJ/KP and Maxi/DFS as their best and maybe closing lineups.
Like Reply
(11-22-2020, 06:27 PM)Drew Wrote: Yeah I’m still thinking they’re expecting Luka/Richardson/THJ/KP and Maxi/DFS as their best and maybe closing lineups.

Absolutely. Maybe mix in a little Burke in certain situations. (not often)
Like Reply