Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#18 PICK: Josh Green | 6' 5.5" | 6' 9.75" wingspan
Liked the 3 picks. Shooter and defenders.
Like Reply
Not surprising he's raw athletically because he basically played .5 seasons of college before going pro. If you have high end athletic ability and a high end motor (which I feel is an innate trait) and a love for playing defense, I have confidence that you can turn into a good NBA defender. He's got a long way to go on offense, but he does have some feel and his FT% suggests he can develop into at least an average 3PT shooter.

My biggest concern which I don't see anyone talking about is that for a young body without a lot of miles on it, he seems to have had some health issues. Missed a game last year with a lower back sprain. Had surgery for a torn labrum last offseason. Not big red flags, but don't want one of those "It's always something..." injury guys for a guy who is going to make his NBA career grinding.
Like Reply
Kind of reminds me of Justin Anderson. This doesn't scream the type of guy we're looking to immediately trade, it looks like they're hoping he's a ready to go defensive option right now. If he can shoot 3s at a passable clip he might stick
Like Reply
(11-19-2020, 08:54 AM)MrGoat Wrote: Kind of reminds me of Justin Anderson. This doesn't scream the type of guy we're looking to immediately trade, it looks like they're hoping he's a ready to go defensive option right now. If he can shoot 3s at a passable clip he might stick

Ya that's really the thing that will determine whether he's an NBA player. I thought Justin Anderson's defense wasn't amazing when he was out there. I bet we are impressed with Green's defense off the bat. He will not have to dribble the ball or play-make or any of that stuff. This type of player just needs to hit a 3 pointer and if he does he will have a long NBA career, and if he can't he will be gone in a few years.
Like Reply
(11-19-2020, 08:54 AM)MrGoat Wrote: Kind of reminds me of Justin Anderson. This doesn't scream the type of guy we're looking to immediately trade, it looks like they're hoping he's a ready to go defensive option right now. If he can shoot 3s at a passable clip he might stick

Justin was an athlete that they thought they could make into a basketball player. He exhibited no instincts. Josh seems like an actual basketball player with athleticism. And he actually has a catch and shoot 3pt shot.
Like Reply
(11-19-2020, 10:25 AM)StepBackJay Wrote:

Ya that's really the thing that will determine whether he's an NBA player. I thought Justin Anderson's defense wasn't amazing when he was out there. I bet we are impressed with Green's defense off the bat. He will not have to dribble the ball or play-make or any of that stuff. This type of player just needs to hit a 3 pointer and if he does he will have a long NBA career, and if he can't he will be gone in a few years.

I never really understood why Anderson was supposed to be a great defensive wing talent.  At 6'6" 230  he he was too big and bulky to defend smaller guys on ball, and too small to guard taller forwards on the close out. If you talk about just classic perimeter wing defenders Iggy is like 215. Danny Green is 215. Bruce Bowen was like 190 lbs. They're not built like NFL tight ends.
Like Reply
(11-19-2020, 10:29 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 10:25 AM)StepBackJay Wrote:

I never really understood why Anderson was supposed to be a great defensive player.   At 6'6" 230  he he was too big and bulky to defend smaller guys on ball, and too small to guard taller forwards on the close out.    If you talk about just classic perimeter wing defenders Iggy is like 215.  Bruce Bowen was like 190 lbs.

Yup I think Green has a better body type for sure. I like his fit on the defensive end. He needs to shoot thousands of 3s a day in the gym.
Like Reply
(11-19-2020, 10:29 AM)fifteenth Wrote:

Justin was an athlete that they thought they could make into a basketball player. He exhibited no instincts. Josh seems like an actual basketball player with athleticism. And he actually has a catch and shoot 3pt shot.

In his rookie year especially his defense was hyped around here. And the stats back that up, we were way better on defense when he was on the court. Defense wasn't really Anderson's problem, the problem with him was his 40+% 3 point shooting in college profoundly didn't translate to the NBA. I think the 3 ball will determine Green's fate here
Like Reply
I  really don´t see any similarities between Anderson and Green. Green is a SG with great lateral quickness and top speed. Anderson was more of a SF/PF with strength and leaping ability.
Like Reply
Justin Anderson was a good pick. It didn’t work out. Mavs went for an athletic defensive wing hoping he might get better on offense. SAS took the same track on a player like Kawhi. One worked out, the other didn’t.

If the Mavs take athletic guards/wings with length, that is all they can do. Some of the development is also luck.

With Terry they went for a pure shooter though he is short. However it looks like he was an unselfish playmaker who took on more of a scoring responsibility at Stanford. Cannot complain there either. They took guys with upside. That’s all they can do.
Like Reply
(11-19-2020, 11:58 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I  really don´t see any similarities between Anderson and Green. Green is a SG with great lateral quickness and top speed. Anderson was more of a SF/PF with strength and leaping ability.

That's because there aren't any.  It's a super lazy take made by people who were upset they passed on Bey and took Green instead.

I guarantee that if Bey was gone, there would have been more love for this pick.
Like Reply
(11-19-2020, 11:59 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: Justin Anderson was a good pick. It didn’t work out. Mavs went for an athletic defensive wing hoping he might get better on offense. SAS took the same track on a player like Kawhi. One worked out, the other didn’t.

If the Mavs take athletic guards/wings with length, that is all they can do. Some of the development is also luck.

With Terry they went for a pure shooter though he is short. However it looks like he was an unselfish playmaker who took on more of a scoring responsibility at Stanford. Cannot complain there either. They took guys with upside. That’s all they can do.

I've also heard people like Zach Lowe say that 3D guys take longer to develop than other positions, which I would not have guessed they had an inherently large learning curve compared to other roles.  I guess aside from developing a consistent long range shot, there is just a lot to learn about team defense concepts and switching and all the tricks of the trade that are involved with becoming a high level perimeter defender.    That's why I kind of like the Mavs approach of taking multiple fliers on raw guys like Reaves and Roby and Bey and essentially sending them to an inhouse "3D Academy" for a year or two and hoping one pans out.
Like Reply
(11-19-2020, 01:32 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: I've also heard people like Zach Lowe say that 3D guys take longer to develop than other positions, which I would not have guessed they had an inherently large learning curve compared to other roles.

Imagine that from age 12 to age 19 you've been the best player on your team at every level. You've either had the ball in your hands 90% of the time or had every play designed to get you the ball right where you can score with it. 

Then, you get drafted, and while your measurables and athletic ability are still a strength, they're no longer special, and you're significantly outmatched in terms of skill and intellectual understanding of the game. That, alone, would be paradigm shattering and really difficult for most of these guys, I would think.

And THEN, you find out that you have to completely relearn how to play the game, this time WITHOUT THE BALL, and your success depends on how well you understand what the guy who has the ball is trying to do. You have to learn how to make HIM more successful by relocating to create passing angles, reacting when your defenders leave you to help on him (all your life they've left others to help on you, remember)...I totally understand where Lowe is coming from with this.
Like Reply
(11-19-2020, 01:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 01:32 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: I've also heard people like Zach Lowe say that 3D guys take longer to develop than other positions, which I would not have guessed they had an inherently large learning curve compared to other roles.

Imagine that from age 12 to age 19 you've been the best player on your team at every level. You've either had the ball in your hands 90% of the time or had every play designed to get you the ball right where you can score with it. 

Then, you get drafted, and while your measurables and athletic ability are still a strength, they're no longer special, and you're significantly outmatched in terms of skill and intellectual understanding of the game. That, alone, would be paradigm shattering and really difficult for most of these guys, I would think.

And THEN, you find out that you have to completely relearn how to play the game, this time WITHOUT THE BALL, and your success depends on how well you understand what the guy who has the ball is trying to do. You have to learn how to make HIM more successful by relocating to create passing angles, reacting when your defenders leave you to help on him (all your life they've left others to help on you, remember)...I totally understand where Lowe is coming from with this.

I mean it's why DFS has come back better and better every year. Forget the improved shooting which is huge but he's always open now and he tends to always be in the middle of loose ball plays. And he's developed a cutting game too which is really what takes a 3 and d guy to the next level. 
Without that you are just Danny Green or Wes ha.
Like Reply
Thoughts on Green after watching more film:

1) I think I really slept on him in my evals because he really does not use his athleticism and length to his advantage on O around the rim and driving. He is just bad at it and it makes him look totally over-matched even in college. Is it just how he doesn't welcome the contact and use his own body for leverage? Can this improve? I do like his little floater game, seems to have some promise.

2) He is really young (just turned 20 three days ago), almost two years younger than SBey that they passed on. I think this gives him a lot of room to improve. And on that note, I definitely think the Mavs made the right decision to pass on SBey to get Green. I still want to see Achiuwa and Hampton though, because I would have taken them over Green (but to be fair I wonder about Hampton having possibly a diva personality and his finishing sucks....and the Mavs would have way more info than me on all that).

3) I really like his passing and unselfishness, and doesn't turn the ball over. Good stuff with lots of room for growth. 

4) He tested ELITE in his lateral quickness, speed, vertical, etc. Seems like he doesn't get the most out of that on O at times, but I really see the lateral quickness in his footwork on D. Lots of room to grow on D, but he has the potential to be really special guarding 1-3. He is definitely a 2 and not a 3 IMO.

5) He is a 78% free throw shooter, so I anticipate him figuring out the three point shot to the level of 36-38%, but don't expect better than that consistently.

6) I like his hustle and willingness to go the ground for loose balls.

Overall I am not disappointed in this pick at all. I am optimistic and definitely understand what the Mavs were seeing in him that I missed in my own evals.
Like Reply
Glad to have you on board...
Like Reply
(11-19-2020, 04:57 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Thoughts on Green after watching more film:

1) I think I really slept on him in my evals because he really does not use his athleticism and length to his advantage on O around the rim and driving. He is just bad at it and it makes him look totally over-matched even in college. Is it just how he doesn't welcome the contact and use his own body for leverage? Can this improve? I do like his little floater game, seems to have some promise.

This is EXACTLY what turned me off on the kid.

BUT, if they think he can be an effective catch and shoot guy right away, that buys lots of time to potentially figure it out. How many years was DFS here before they even let him floor the ball?
Like Reply
He has all the tools but I would prefer a guy that at least can pass with his off hand. I don´t think I saw a single left handed finish from him in the highlight tapes.
Like Reply
(11-19-2020, 05:16 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: He has all the tools but I would prefer a guy that at least can pass with his off hand. I don´t think I saw a single left handed finish from him in the highlight tapes.

For the next couple of years his offensive role will be to stand in the corner and shoot an open three Smile
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/13...1346489347
Like Reply