Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CONTRACT OPTIONS: THJ Opts In | WCS to opt OUT | Hayward opts OUT
(11-17-2020, 07:35 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: So did I.

Not really, you listed a bunch of theoretical possibilities. It's like me saying, if we lose Maxi, than we can look for RoCo or Gordon or similar. 

(11-17-2020, 07:35 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: The solution is adding another bigman. Not getting rid of the guy that will probably play 30+ minutes in the first couple of games.

You replace the guy, wasn't I clear enough? WCS or another vet min center is what covers till KP returns. We didn't even had this luxury in the playoffs. 1 month of your star absence is not something to consider in your long term strategy.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 07:41 PM)omahen Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 07:35 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: So did I.

Not really, you listed a bunch of theoretical possibilities. It's like me saying, if we lose Maxi, than we can look for RoCo or Gordon or similar. 

(11-17-2020, 07:35 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: The solution is adding another bigman. Not getting rid of the guy that will probably play 30+ minutes in the first couple of games.

You replace the guy, wasn't I clear enough? WCS or another vet min center is what covers till KP returns. We didn't even had this luxury in the playoffs. 1 month of your star absence is not something to consider in your long term strategy.

I went into detail. You just don´t agree or refuse to read my posts. By the same logic you are using I could argue that Curry starts and the Mavs sign a vet min guy to replace THJ.
It´s not only about KP. Mavs also have to think about Powell.
You mentioned Saric and Millsap what makes them more realistic targets compared to guys like Bradley or Holiday?
Like Reply
You never mentioned Bradley or Holiday (or I overlooked). You mentioned both Bogdanovic, Hield,... Even if we go with those two, that is a huge drop off from THJ. Far bigger than changing Maxi with Milsap or Saric (if that is drop off at all).
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 07:53 PM)omahen Wrote: You never mentioned Bradley or Holiday (or I overlooked). You mentioned both Bogdanovic, Hield,... Even if we go with those two, that is a huge drop off from THJ. Far bigger than changing Maxi with Milsap or Saric (if that is drop off at all).

The Mavs need perimeter defense and as long as THJ plays 30+ minutes that will be a problem. Especially if he shares the floor with Luka. I would prefer a guy like Avery Bradley or Justin Holiday. Someone that can actually guard the opposing PG.
Posted less than an hour ago.

Is a better defender that might not be as good of a shooter really a downgrade? Wouldn´t it make sense to improve the perimeter defense if the Mavs can also add a scorer/playmaker like Hayward?
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 06:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 06:50 PM)omahen Wrote: Kick ze Germans out Smile

I legitimately expect this to be Palestine vs Israel in five years.

[Image: tenor.gif]
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 08:00 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Posted less than an hour ago.

Sorry, overlooked that. I still think drop off from THJ production would be significant. Let's make a compromise and send them Curry Smile
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1324035628389011456
Like Reply
Hayward to Atlanta please.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1328895413903126529

Quote:There was no indication that Boston and Dallas were talking. No fire. No smoke. Only these facts: Boston is a team with too many wings and payroll to shed; the Mavericks' greatest need is a wing player and they crave adding a creator alongside Luka Doncic.

Yes, there are immense hurdles to making a deal, primarily how Dallas would be able to stack enough salaries to match Hayward’s to make a deal work and meet Boston’s expected talent return.

But perhaps now Dallas is more willing to give Hayward, despite his injury history, a multi-year extension through a sign and trade. And then there is this: There is no general manager to whom Nelson is closer than the Celtics' Danny Ainge. If any GMs can work out sticky details, it’s Nelson and Ainge.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 10:08 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1328895413903126529

Quote:There was no indication that Boston and Dallas were talking. No fire. No smoke. Only these facts: Boston is a team with too many wings and payroll to shed; the Mavericks' greatest need is a wing player and they crave adding a creator alongside Luka Doncic.

Yes, there are immense hurdles to making a deal, primarily how Dallas would be able to stack enough salaries to match Hayward’s to make a deal work and meet Boston’s expected talent return.

But perhaps now Dallas is more willing to give Hayward, despite his injury history, a multi-year extension through a sign and trade. And then there is this: There is no general manager to whom Nelson is closer than the Celtics' Danny Ainge. If any GMs can work out sticky details, it’s Nelson and Ainge.

The other day Donnie made mention of how good his relationship is with Mark Bartelstein (the agent part of this love triangle with Donnie and Danny).  Bartelstein also represents THJ.  I tend to doubt that Hardaway is in this deal.  Part of what makes his lack of playmaking at the 2 OK is bringing in someone at the 3 who can create.  If you are going multi-year on Hayward, you should spend the entire MLE on a multi-year player and you should extend Hardaway.

Without THJ (assuming I'm right), it is hard to get to $34 million without really impacting the Dallas roster.  I've mentioned the possibility of an extend-and-trade, but I don't think that is the most likely play here.  I think you do something like what Milwaukee and Sacramento are doing.  You announce it as a S & T.  Note the Bogdanovic trade doesn't include any current year draft picks.  Boston and Dallas could certainly swap some picks, but I bet that swap would be something that stands on its own (just in case something goes wrong with the S&T).

To me, any Boston deal with Dallas starts with Maxi.  He fits what they do perfectly.  The math for this is projecting what Hayward would get per year a year from now...times two...and add the $34mm he is giving up by opting out.  For instance, $20mm + $20mm + $34mm = $74mm.  Then you divide by 3 and factor in the 5% raises.  You come out at something like $23.5mm which takes $18.4mm to match.  Maxi and Wright make $17.25mm.  Suddenly this isn't too hard to do without THJ.  If the number is $85mm instead of $74mm you just add in Jackson.  I'm not sure it has to be much more complex than that.  Bartelstein has the Atlanta hammer, so Boston won't get a king's ransom here.  We all love Maxi, but there are bigs to be had in free agency.
Like Reply
I mean not losing THJ and adding Heyward wouldn’t completely suck. You actually add to your offense without significantly hurting the team(love maxi though)
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/HoopsRumors/status/1...31584?s=20
Like Reply
I am sure WCS is looking at Boban's contract and wondering why he cannot at least make that much. WCS is a guy you can rely on every night versus an old guy who will play twice a month for maybe a total of 20 minutes if you're lucky. If Lakers lose Howard, that's a nice landing spot for WCS; LeBron and elite head coach Vogel could make great use out of him.
Like Reply
(11-18-2020, 11:32 AM)Fuerza1 Wrote: WCS is a guy you can rely on every night 

Ugh, I don't really think that is WCS's reputation ....
Like Reply
(11-18-2020, 03:23 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote:
(11-18-2020, 11:32 AM)Fuerza1 Wrote: WCS is a guy you can rely on every night 

Ugh, I don't really think that is WCS's reputation ....

Certainly not a guy I'd want to give more than a 1 year contract to.
Like Reply
I'm kinda curious what WCS is thinking his market is considering last offseason he had to settle for a 1 year vet minimum contract and since then played himself off of the Warriors (who were absolutely desperate for bigs) and then went to Dallas in a throw in trade for a few months and then sat out the playoffs. I'm not sure why he thinks his standing among the league has improved the last year. I guess he's hoping that his next employer will think they can get something out of him that Steve Kerr or Rick Carlisle can't. Or maybe he just really doesn't want to play basketball for that salary because he would rather do other things.

https://goldengatesports.com/2019/11/14/...ly-feared/
Like Reply
(11-18-2020, 03:35 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: I'm kinda curious what WCS is thinking his market is considering last offseason he had to settle for a 1 year vet minimum contract and since then played himself off of the Warriors (who were absolutely desperate for bigs)  and then went to Dallas in a throw in trade for a few months and then sat out the playoffs.  I'm not sure why he thinks his standing among the league has improved the last year.  I guess he's hoping that his next employer will think they can get something out of him that Steve Kerr or Rick Carlisle can't.  Or maybe he just really doesn't want to play basketball for that salary because he would rather do other things.

https://goldengatesports.com/2019/11/14/...ly-feared/

Maybe his agent is confident in a multi-year deal.
Like Reply
(11-18-2020, 03:37 PM)cow Wrote: Maybe his agent is confident in a multi-year deal.

He'd have to be, or this is just INSANE.
Like Reply
(11-18-2020, 03:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He's have to be, or this is just INSANE.

Since Lopez turned down 5 mil, this looks like a no brainer. Perhaps the new team will actually give him minutes

There will be 20+ games without KP this season, so this is a perfect opportunity for a young reclamation project on vet min 1+1 (team option) contract. If he uses his chance well, you have an asset. If not, who cares. Just please don't waste MLE for a center
Like Reply
(11-18-2020, 03:50 PM)omahen Wrote:
(11-18-2020, 03:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He's have to be, or this is just INSANE.

Since Lopez turned down 5 mil, this looks like a no brainer. Perhaps the new team will actually give him minutes

There will be 20+ games without KP this season, so this is a perfect opportunity for a young reclamation project on vet min 1+1 (team option) contract. If he uses his chance well, you have an asset. If not, who cares. Just please don't waste MLE for a center

A stretch big 1+1 young cheap reclamation project that resembles a KP skillset, Thon Maker makes a lot of sense.
Like Reply