Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting Lineup: Actual vs Proposed
Haven't seen this topic spoken about extensively or directly too much. 

We know we have Luka and Porzingis starting obviously. Then we have heard reports that Powell will be next to KP as the 4/5 combo. So that gives us Luka/Porz/Powell as for sure starters most of the time(besides the days of rest for KP, which I will get to soon)I am thinking it has to be Delon in there due to the new contract and recent words said. 

The final roster spot is sort of ambiguous and maybe they are still figuring that out in training camp. 

• It could be Seth Curry as he also signed a similar contract as Delon did, but many would argue he will make a great 6th man. 
  • It could be THJ as they need to raise his trade stock for a potential move, and/or his contract is so high, the front office/Carlisle seems to like to play the big money guys. 
  • It could be Brunson... maybe that means Delon doesn't start, which I find to be highly unlikely but maybe Brunson really takes the next step and forces a decision. Granted I think this is highly unlikely as he seems to be groomed for JJB's old bkup pg spot. 
  • Could it be DFS? He provides some defense and versatility... I guess the same argument could be for Justin Jackson here... I guess it is a similar choice and motivations, just matters which plays better, and who you (the Coach) likes best.
  • Could it be Lee? unlikely but maybe he blows away the chemistry. Maxi? Unlikely with KP/Powell starting... but who knows... could be a weird lineup
Then we have the alternate starting lineup for the days that Porzingis gets rest... what does that Starting Lineup look like? Here is my theory they go with:

Starting Lineup:

Delon
THJ
Luka
KP
Powell

Bkup:

Brunson/JJB
Curry/Lee
DFS/Jackson/Roby
Maxi
Boban

Here is what I want them to do:

Starting Lineup:

Delon
Luka
Jackson
KP
Powell

This leaves THJ on the bench for more offensive firepower on the bench. The bench should remain a hot offensive spot, to help give rest to the starting lineup. Jackson I think gives a better balance to the roster. 

Have Curry and THJ essentially be the sixth man role(just double them down) then fill out Center and Guard minutes between the platoon of the rest. 

Ideally we move Lee and THJ soon for ONE Wing player... but who knows...
Like Reply
We're actually on the same page 
If Hardaway is healthy, there's little doubt in my mind that he'll be starting game 1
And I also hope Jackson passes him up at some point or we pull off a trade 

That's probably the most ambiguous spot 
Wright, Luka, Porz, and Powell seem quite likely to start all season unless health changes the plan
Like Reply
I expect the staring lineup to be: Delon-THJ-Luka-Dwight-KP or Delon-THJ-Luka-DFS-KP match-up dependent.

As far as what I want, I am a big believer in the way the modern game is progressing. I don't believe in 2 big man lineups. My main starting lineup would be Delon-THJ-Luka-DFS-KP and I would put Maxi in place of DFS if we are against a team who starts two bigs which is..... I guess Philly and Denver. The league is correctly moving away from it, favoring space and pace.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(10-03-2019, 02:45 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I expect the staring lineup to be: Delon-THJ-Luka-Dwight-KP or Delon-THJ-Luka-DFS-KP match-up dependent.

As far as what I want, I am a big believer in the way the modern game is progressing. I don't believe in 2 big man lineups. My main starting lineup would be Delon-THJ-Luka-DFS-KP and I would put Maxi in place of DFS if we are against a team who starts two bigs which is..... I guess Philly and Denver. The league is correctly moving away from it, favoring space and pace.

This is the page I've been on for a while, except that I had JJackson in the starting lineup with DFS. However, all the preseason talk is pushing me in your direction. 

I'd lay it out like this:

Luka  / JB 
Delon  / Seth 
THJ  / JJackson 
DFS  / Maxi 
KP  / DP 

with JJB and Boban playing situationally 

Based on all the talk it looks like I'll be wrong about DP coming off the bench, but we'll see.
Like Reply
(10-03-2019, 03:06 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Based on all the talk it looks like I'll be wrong about DP coming off the bench, but we'll see.

I'm really worried about this for two reasons.

Reason #1: Five out offense is superior and Dwight can only hit an open shot when the team is tanking.

Reason #2: Dwight can't defend the perimeter or defend the rim.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
Like Reply
I still maintain that Seth is TOO good of a shooter (ELITE in the NBA) and too good of a defender (extremely underrated with good metrics to back up his play) to not start. 

I just think Seth will earn the spot in training camp, but we will see.

Dwight Powell holds PFs to eFG% of 50% and PER of 15.2. He holds Cs to eFG% 63.1% and PER of 24.1. 

He is MUCH better defending PFs and my eye test also confirms this.
Like Reply
(10-03-2019, 03:18 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote:
(10-03-2019, 03:06 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Based on all the talk it looks like I'll be wrong about DP coming off the bench, but we'll see.

Reason #1: Five out offense is superior and Dwight can only hit an open shot when the team is tanking.

I agree with your point on defense.

On offense I think the combo of KP's elite perimeter shooting and DP's elite rim running would impossibly stretch a defense, pulling them both towards and away from the basket, which then opens up all kinds of space for Luka Magic

(10-03-2019, 03:26 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I still maintain that Seth is TOO good of a shooter (ELITE in the NBA) and too good of a defender (extremely underrated with good metrics to back up his play) to not start. 

I just think Seth will earn the spot in training camp, but we will see.

Dwight Powell holds PFs to eFG% of 50% and PER of 15.2. He holds Cs to eFG% 63.1% and PER of 24.1. 

He is MUCH better defending PFs and my eye test also confirms this.

I think Seth is going to light it up as well. He'd be in my finishing 5. I do wonder how many minutes he can handle, AND want some good players in the second unit. 

Regarding DP defending power forwards: that's cool, he can defend them when we play against one periodically. But for all those teams who have a wing at the 4, glad we have DFS. :-)
Like Reply
(10-03-2019, 03:33 PM)fifteenth Wrote:

On offense I think the combo of KP's elite perimeter shooting and DP's elite rim running would impossibly stretch a defense, pulling them both towards and away from the basket, which then opens up all kinds of space for Luka Magic

I just don't feel that Luka, KP, and Dwight will be able to interact in a consistent way on offense, that will involve all 3 of them, that will be worth having him out there over other options.

It will be like Miami with Lebron/Wade/Bosh (not that Dwight is that good) where inevitably, 1 or 2 of them will just be standing there. If someone is going to be standing there, I want them to be able to hit an open jumper, or make up for it on defense.
Like Reply

(10-03-2019, 03:59 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote:

I just don't feel that Luka, KP, and Dwight will be able to interact in a consistent way on offense, that will involve all 3 of them, that will be worth having him out there over other options.

It will be like Miami with Lebron/Wade/Bosh (not that Dwight is that good) where inevitably, 1 or 2 of them will just be standing there. If someone is going to be standing there, I want them to be able to hit an open jumper, or make up for it on defense.
Powell will be constantly faking a rim roll or will be rim rolling...he doesn't need to be passed too on every play for him to suck in the defense opening up space for others including a whole lot of Luka Magic...

4 locks are Delon Luka Powell KP...its a 4 man race for 5th player...I think this is where we'll be flexible and have a different 5th starter depending on matchup...

Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(10-03-2019, 04:08 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Powell will be constantly faking a rim roll or will be rim rolling...he doesn't need to be passed too on every play for him to suck in the defense opening up space for others including a whole lot of Luka Magic...

That puts him in Luka's driving lane. I know most here aren't going to agree with me on this.

I look at it in a similar way to how having Lopez allowed Giannis that much more room to get in to the paint.
Like Reply
(10-03-2019, 03:59 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote:

On offense I imagine the beautiful basketball that JJB, DP and Dirk were able to produce at times on the death lineup. Sub Luka in from old men JJB and Dirk, and think Death Lineup turned up to 11.

(10-03-2019, 04:23 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote:
(10-03-2019, 04:08 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Powell will be constantly faking a rim roll or will be rim rolling...he doesn't need to be passed too on every play for him to suck in the defense opening up space for others including a whole lot of Luka Magic...

That puts him in Luka's driving lane. I know most here aren't going to agree with me on this.

I look at it in a similar way to how having Lopez allowed Giannis that much more room to get in to the paint.

The deal is that they don't do the same thing every time down the court. Luka will pass to rim runners. That will be a part of the offense. You don't eliminate rim running because Luka needs driving lanes. Sometimes there will be a series of actions, a high screen, a back pick, a rim roll, ect., all of which can receive a pass at times, or all the action clears space and then Luka drives. Or, they run a play where Luka drives right a way and there's isn't much initial action. Things just aren't as one dimensional as "rim running takes away Luka's driving lanes".
Like Reply
I'm not saying Dwight and KP can't exist on the floor at the same time. I'm sure they can and I'm sure under RC it will be pretty efficient. I just think there are better options in the modern game.
Like Reply
(10-03-2019, 04:32 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I'm not saying Dwight and KP can't exist on the floor at the same time. I'm sure they can and I'm sure under RC it will be pretty efficient. I just think there are better options in the modern game.

Like a 3-point shooting DFS!
Like Reply
(10-03-2019, 04:42 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(10-03-2019, 04:32 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I'm not saying Dwight and KP can't exist on the floor at the same time. I'm sure they can and I'm sure under RC it will be pretty efficient. I just think there are better options in the modern game.

Not gonna lie, I have 0 confidence in him improving his shot, but the other things he brings make him more valuable than Dwight to me.

The best offensive lineup to me is Delon - Curry - THJ - Luka - KP. I'm probably the only believer in THJ here, but he will be great if he does what RC tells him to.
Like Reply
(10-03-2019, 04:45 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote:
(10-03-2019, 04:42 PM)fifteenth Wrote:

Not gonna lie, I have 0 confidence in him improving his shot, but the other things he brings make him more valuable than Dwight to me.

The best offensive lineup to me is Delon - Curry - THJ - Luka - KP. I'm probably the only believer in THJ here, but he will be great if he does what RC tells him to.

I've thought better of THJ lately, hearing what's coming out of camp. You may have hit on a pretty potent finishing 5 there. With Luka and Brunson feeding him the ball, if THJ could reproduce his best season, 95-96 with Atlanta, it would be a massive boost.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/PaulHeadleyNBA/statu...7819612161
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply

Tongue

I think Carlisle pretty much said DP was a great fit next to KP.  I expect that RC will start with DP and THJ and then move in the others if those guys don't mesh or produce. 

My (MFFL) problem will be every time someone other than Luka or KP take a shot I will feel ripped off  Wink

THJ will irritate me more if he is a high volume chucker with the starters.  The most efficient guys should start with the unicorns so if it were me, I would choose Seth, Delon and Jackson.  I would be putting KP at center and apparently that is not a thing.
Like Reply
(10-03-2019, 05:13 PM)Hypermav Wrote: I would be putting KP at center and apparently that is not a thing.

I think it will be a thing
Like Reply
(10-03-2019, 04:51 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I've thought better of THJ lately, hearing what's coming out of camp. You may have hit on a pretty potent finishing 5 there. With Luka and Brunson feeding him the ball, if THJ could reproduce his best season, 95-96 with Atlanta, it would be a massive boost.

Yeah listening to his media day interview it sounds like his leg had been hurting for over a year before the surgery and that he couldn't push off with it. That HAS to affect your shooting percentage. I truly thought he would be better than Barnes for the Mavs when the trade happened, but what I saw was REALLY disappointing. Now I am cautiously hoping his leg being right changes EVERYTHING.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

If you highlight the chunk of text you want to reply to a little "Reply" tab will pop up next to it allowing you to quote only that portion. It helps clean up all the embedded quotes.
Like Reply
Aight...preseason is over and I think we all agree (including Rick) who 3 of the starters are:

Luka
Delon
KP

Coach has tried different starting lineups through the preseason and it looks to me that out of the following names we must pick 2 starters:

Brunson
Seth
J.Jackson
Lee
DFS
DP
Maxi

Which 2 do you pick?
Like Reply