Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Players boycott games | Playoffs resume Saturday
Isn't in kinda ironic that the goal is to keep this thread about basketball and not politics when that's really the big disagreement with NBA fans right now. A lot of fans don't want politics with their sports. They just want to watch basketball.
Like Reply
(08-27-2020, 11:27 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Isn't in kinda ironic that the goal is to keep this thread about basketball and not politics when that's really the big disagreement with NBA fans right now. A lot of fans don't want politics with their sports. They just want to watch basketball.

Nailed it!!

Post of the year!!  

Wonder if everyone will fully understand your on target point.

Something changed here, back during LeChina Hong Kong we all spoke freely and had zero problems.  Fast forward and the only posts deleted or modified are conservative ones.  I had one modified and two deleted.  We posters never had any problems with each other until mods made it a problem.  When posters are ok with discussing back and forth why is modding needed?  This isn’t supposed to like twitter where one side is censored.  Thats what happened here.

Back to your post the very thing mods are doing is against what players are doing by injecting politics.
Like Reply
(08-27-2020, 11:53 PM)ThunderMav Wrote: Something changed here, back during LeChina Hong Kong we all spoke freely and had zero problems.  Fast forward and the only posts deleted or modified are conservative ones.  I had one modified and two deleted.  We posters never had any problems with each other until mods made it a problem.  When posters are ok with discussing back and forth why is modding needed?  This isn’t supposed to like twitter where one side is censored.  Thats what happened here.

Hey Thunder,

I just want to step in and say that we're not trying to censor any side. Really. I understand fif made a mistake, but it was not out of a goal trying to censor a certain viewpoint. You've been around here a long time and you know fifteenth is as impartial and level headed as it comes. 

Our goal was to try to keep it about basketball and only basketball. We thought you originally made it off topic when you brought the Blake shooting up and followed that up with another story about how BLM rioters killed 2 people (1st post on page one). Which is not a bad thing by the way! I for one welcome all sides. But we did feel that while you brought up valid points, it wasn't basketball related and Fif tried his best to curtail it and move that conversation to an appropriate thread. By then the flood gates opened and an entire discourse had already stemmed from it. And once fif tried his hand at moderating, it was too little, too late and painted a warped picture than what was actually our intent. 

Overall we really didn't mean to make you feel like we're trying to silence a viewpoint. We all make mistakes and are trying to get better about modding in general. I hope you accept that explanation and we can all move past it without any ill-feelings. If anything we're on the same side about trying to keep politics out of basketball, which was our one and only reason of trying to move more political posts to a R.O.T.W thread.

Thanks for sparking a passionate discussion
SH
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(08-27-2020, 11:27 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Isn't in kinda ironic that the goal is to keep this thread about basketball and not politics when that's really the big disagreement with NBA fans right now. A lot of fans don't want politics with their sports. They just want to watch basketball.

And that´s an illusion. Politics is a part of sports. Always has been. It´s more about people choosing to ignore it as long as it doesn´t clash with their own political leanings or impact their life.
Like Reply
(08-27-2020, 11:53 PM)ThunderMav Wrote:

Nailed it!!

Post of the year!!  

Something changed here, back during LeChina Hong Kong we all spoke freely and had zero problems.  Fast forward and the only posts deleted or modified are conservative ones.  I had one modified and two deleted.  We posters never had any problems with each other until mods made it a problem.  When posters are ok with discussing back and forth why is modding needed?  This isn’t supposed to like twitter where one side is censored.  Thats what happened here.

Back to your post the very thing mods are doing is against what players are doing by injecting politics.
The post I remember seeing deleted was by HoosierDaddy. It did not look like he was making a “conservative” post.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/...6208802818
Like Reply
(08-28-2020, 01:13 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:

And that´s an illusion. Politics is a part of sports. Always has been. It´s more about people choosing to ignore it as long as it doesn´t clash with their own political leanings or impact their life.

Not necessarily.  People may go to sports not to necessarily ignore politics, but to find a neutral place and connect with others they would disagree with in their political organizations. 

It is one thing for the players to exercise their freedom as citizens and actively speak out on controversial political and moral issues.  They can carry their influence and power to political venues like any other citizen can't they? 

Its an entirely different thing for the NBA as an organization to do this.  It changes the very nature of the organization and forces the public seeking a neutral place to simply listen to the organization's rhetoric without debate or representation.
Like Reply
(08-28-2020, 07:19 AM)Dahlsim Wrote:

Not necessarily.  People may go to sports not to necessarily ignore politics, but to find a neutral place and connect with others they would disagree with in their political organizations. 

It is one thing for the players to exercise their freedom as citizens and actively speak out on controversial political and moral issues.  They can carry their influence and power to political venues like any other citizen can't they? 

Its an entirely different thing for the NBA as an organization to do this.  It changes the very nature of the organization and forces the public seeking a neutral place to simply listen to the organization's rhetoric without debate or representation.

There is no neutral place. Politics is about society and some topics are important enough to impact every every single person or organization in that society. Including sports. The NBA is not a public agency. It´s private. And just like any other private organization or company they are free to do what they want.
Some people don´t like to hear the national anthem before the game. Some people aren´t happy about the support for the BLM movement. Others are unhappy about the silence when it comes to protests in China. That´s fine. Move on and find something else.
The NBA was never a neutral place. Same for other big sport leagues and events.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/malika_andrews/statu...7712108545
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...9609772033
Like Reply
(08-28-2020, 08:51 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...9609772033
https://media.giphy.com/media/HDYjeDYrZBU5y/giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
I like that WNBA players are boycotting their own product as well, not that anyone would notice.

I guess KP is done for this series. The one thing this extra rest does do though is give Luka more time to heal his ankle. We would need another legendary performance to get to a game 6 and it's not impossible that we get one, particularly if he is at near full strength.

As far at PatBev being back he helps as much as he hurts. I would rather him be in the game drawing more fouls and throwing up bricks than sitting on the sideline. Is he a good enough player to be on camera as much as he is during this series? You would think it's LeBron over there.

Shamet is a very good player and probably a better option in the starting lineup so give me PatBev and I will live with the consequences.
Like Reply
(08-28-2020, 08:49 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/malika_andrews/statu...7712108545
What leverage does the NBA think they have? They don't provide a necessity of any kind. They provide entertainment. I've watched and played basketball for over 30 years so I deeply love basketball, but I can watch college if the NBA doesn't play. I personally don't care if they want to shut down this season. Just like I won't care if actors go on strike. I think they really overvalue themselves. LeBron's opinion is worth no more to me than any other rich person's opinion.
Like Reply
(08-28-2020, 08:22 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:

There is no neutral place. Politics is about society and some topics are important enough to impact every every single person or organization in that society. Including sports. The NBA is not a public agency. It´s private. And just like any other private organization or company they are free to do what they want.
Some people don´t like to hear the national anthem before the game. Some people aren't´t happy about the support for the BLM movement. Others are unhappy about the silence when it comes to protests in China. That´s fine. Move on and find something else.

Speaking in absolutes here would be foolish, but the NBA and sports in general has traditionally represented a place where fans of sports come together on a common interest and let other societal issues filter out to be addressed elsewhere, where they are more appropriately discussed and debated. 

You don't think there were racially prejudiced fans out there in the NBA's growing audience over the decades, cheering right next to the some of the people they perhaps had biases against?  You don't think that was part of what led to a less racially biased America than there was before? 

If you say there is no neutral place then that really suggests a refusal on your part to find common ground. It's my way or the highway talk. 
Instead of fans finding a common place to get to know each other then taking their disagreements to the water cooler, or to peaceful protests and designated political forums, you're saying they have to focus on disagreements everywhere, all the time?  That's absurd and dangerous.  Dodgy
Like Reply

Nailed it!!

Post of the year!!  

Thunder, I didn't delete any of your posts. I moved them to a dedicated thread.

I attempted to get everyone to reserve this thread for the boycotts, because it was a basketball topick that lots of news would be coming out about, and to move talk about the shooting to a different thread. Go back and read what I said. I just asked for you or others to have the shooting discussion in another thread (ROTW, Cave, or even a dedicated thread in the main forum!). I actually said this multiple times. I called your post inflamatory because I could forsee it creating a back and forth, right vs left, battle that would take over the boycott thread. 

And it's really ironic that you'd claim that I deleted conservative posts!!! I didn't. And the only post I deleted was one attacking you because of your conservative views!!! 

Pay attention, pal. 

Man, mod-ing is thankless work.

(08-28-2020, 02:23 AM)Darth Cuban Wrote:

Nailed it!!

Post of the year!!  

The post I remember seeing deleted was by HoosierDaddy. It did not look like he was making a “conservative” post.

No, you're correct. HoosierDaddy's post wasn't conservative. And I actually agreed with it, except that it called out and targeted Thunder, which is why I deleted it. 

Deleting HoosierDaddy's post was actually the only mistake I made. It offended HoosierDaddy, and I apologized to thim for it. 

I may have failed to keep the thread just about the boycott, but whatevs. Not that big a deal.
Like Reply
It's easy to see how people like Thunder, myself and many others, feel about their opinions being censored/removed--it happens on a daily basis, just not here and I think that much is worth nothing. 

Aside from that, the NBA can do what it wants. It is private as we all know, but it does have culpability in what it promotes as messaging, and being that it's primary component is black americans, they choose to side on that side of the ideological spectrum. Right or wrong, that was their choice whether they were forced or coerced. 

That being said, it's not a good thing. The entirety of all this solves nothing--has solved nothing and has damaged it's product for years to come. What they have done, is to use this time to gain more power within the organization for themselves, which ultimately doesn't help the people they claim to be boycotting the games over. In a majority lack league, they are still clamoring for more power--and they have the leverage to do it. So to me, it's all a gigantic waste of time. 

People are responding out of emotion and dont care about the facts--their narrative is their guide posts and whatever doesn't fit it, is racist, etc. There is no reaching a group of people unwilling to look introspectively and contextually in order to solves issues and problems. The media knows this and fans the flames because the subsequent heat will generate votes towards the power they've been looking to gain from it. 

In short, they rely on people's ignorance of opposing views. Or, we may have lost sports, but what is politics (but another sport).
Like Reply
(08-28-2020, 10:00 AM)Dahlsim Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 08:22 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:

Some people don´t like to hear the national anthem before the game. Some people aren't´t happy about the support for the BLM movement. Others are unhappy about the silence when it comes to protests in China. That´s fine. Move on and find something else.

Speaking in absolutes here would be foolish, but the NBA and sports in general has traditionally represented a place where fans of sports come together on a common interest and let other societal issues filter out to be addressed elsewhere, where they are more appropriately discussed and debated. 

You don't think there were racially prejudiced fans out there in the NBA's growing audience over the decades, cheering right next to the some of the people they perhaps had biases against?  You don't think that was part of what led to a less racially biased America than there was before? 

If you say there is no neutral place then that really suggests a refusal on your part to find common ground. It's my way or the highway talk. 
Instead of fans finding a common place to get to know each other then taking their disagreements to the water cooler, or to peaceful protests and designated political forums, you're saying they have to focus on disagreements everywhere, all the time?  That's absurd and dangerous.  Dodgy

Not what I said or meant at all  but carry on. Do you think the same people that watched the NBA games together will stop now that the league is supporting the BLM movement? If that´s the case your point about a less racially biased America is invalid.
Have you ever wondered why we aren´t making any progress when it comes to the currently discussed civil right issues? Because people like to ignore them. As long as they don´t impact their every day routine they don´t act. That´s one of the reasons why big protests or strikes work.
It´s not a suprise that some people want to single out the NBA for a political agenda. It is a players league dominated by strong and independent black man. Wonder why no one is calling out NASCAR or the NFL. As far as I know Colin Kaepernick still hasn´t found a team
Like Reply
The issue is simple; racism isn't the problem. They are attempting to solve the least of their issues (when i say they, i mean we) and because the true issues are not being addressed, major issues that emanate from these issues are rarely solved--then again, that was never the idea, right? BLM as a group, is garbage. Individually, we are all against police brutality but as we have learned--and have known for some time--this BLM group/movement is nothing but a trojan for a far wider agenda. That's why people balk at it. They just picked a phrase that was semantically overloaded, to hide their movements in, while ostracizing anyone that spoke against it.
Like Reply
@"fifteenth"  Just want to say you've done a great job modding, and accepting your faults (which speaks very humane of you). 

I tend to read, learn, see both sides before I make any kind of argument. Otherwise, it's just an opinion.
Like Reply
(08-28-2020, 10:12 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Man, mod-ing is thankless work.
Don't let 'em get you down, fif.

Thanks to all the people who keep the board humming.
Like Reply