Poll: With the current injuries, defensive struggles, and rumors swirling what would you do with KP?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Hold on to him! --- This will pass and he will be an elite player once he can get in game shape and put these unlucky injuries behind him.
47.69%
31 47.69%
Trade him this deadline in March! --- His value is possibly at the highest it will be and the Mavs need to get whatever they can in return for him.
13.85%
9 13.85%
Give him the rest of the season, then trade him this summer! --- Let KP get back and play himself back into shape/health and increase his trade value, but then move him this summer because clearly he is not the right fit next to Luka and with RC.
24.62%
16 24.62%
Something else....post below.
13.85%
9 13.85%
Total 65 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS
I definitely feel like he's been short-changed a couple of blocks the last few games.  But regardless of what the stat sheet says, he's been making a massive difference defensively.  He's the real deal, and he not only challenges lots of shots but also forces teams to change where they shoot from altogether.
Like Reply
KP is such a unique talent that it's hard to get a good comp of comparisons for his ceiling floor. I always thought he was maybe 3 inch taller Durant (okay, not quite that good ... but that kind of all around offensive weapon that you can run an offense through). Maybe it's more like Rudy Gobert who can hit 3 point shots at ~40% (okay, not that good .. but that kind of defensive rim defender)
Like Reply
I have a lot of respect for kristaps that he is fine with falling in line of being as of now an elite role playing star like klay Thompson.

Even when his shot isn't falling, he is doing all the other things and focuses on defense.

What we are seeing right now is almost the best case scenario.
Like Reply
The way KP is playing is more than enough if Luka continues his MVP rampage. 

For a suggestion, instead of working on his iso or post moves, I believe improving his passing would be far more beneficial. Not saying to turn him into a secondary ball handler but at least Dirk level passing. 

Right now, it is a glaring weakness in his game. I see too many open guys when he's trying to force his shots a la Harrison Barnes. I think just adding this little wrinkle in his game would take this team to an even higher level than it already is.
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 04:59 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: The way KP is playing is more than enough if Luka continues his MVP rampage. 

For a suggestion, instead of working on his iso or post moves, I believe improving his passing would be far more beneficial. Not saying to turn him into a secondary ball handler but at least Dirk level passing. 

Right now, it is a glaring weakness in his game. I see too many open guys when he's trying to force his shots a la Harrison Barnes. I think just adding this little wrinkle in his game would take this team to an even higher level than it already is.
You should watch the last couple of games...

Better passing and less forcing shots...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Quote:HeatRing2012Bench Warmer
  • [url=https://forums.realgm.com/boards/posting.php?mode=quote&f=6&p=79885266][/url]
watched the first full Mavs game against the Rockets yesterday (usually only have time for a quarter here and there).

thing is, the Mavs dont need KP to be a 20+ ppg scorer. they have enough firepower via their strong bench + Luka/Hardaway.
what they need is KP being a defensive juggernaut because, outside of Finney-Smith and Kleber, they arent very good defensively.

that said, KP was a force yesterday... when you see both Harden and Westbrook being afraid of penetrating inside with Porzingis looming, then you know that you are an intimidating force on that end.
KP seems quicker on his feet too. saw a couple of possessions where he defended Harden of all people outside the three point arc / perimeter. and he stayed on his feet the entire time before Harden passed it. great defensive display right there.

on the offensive side of the ball he just needs to camp at the three point line while having a respectable 3P%. this opens up so much room for Luka/THJ/Brunson to attack the basket because he's dragging the other teams C outside the paint.
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 05:02 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: You should watch the last couple of games...

Better passing and less forcing shots...
It's still been hit or miss. Dirk in his prime was averaging close to 3 assists per game; KP is averaging about half of that.
Like Reply
For me his positive attitude and physical availability under the rim has been the biggest plus so far. When you factor the worries about his physical condition and the bullshit the Knicks were spewing about him being a diva, everything so far has pointed in the opposite direction.

It's also refreshing to see a player so candid in his interviews, that also walks the way he talks. So many times you hear players talking about playing for team, focusing on the win, but the moment things go sour, they go back to being selfish.

Our defense would be screwed without KP.
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 07:51 PM)pedroffabreu Wrote: For me his positive attitude and physical availability under the rim has been the biggest plus so far. When you factor the worries about his physical condition and the bullshit the Knicks were spewing about him being a diva, everything so far has pointed in the opposite direction.

It's also refreshing to see a player so candid in his interviews, that also walks the way he talks. So many times you hear players talking about playing for team, focusing on the win, but the moment things go sour, they go back to being selfish.

Our defense would be screwed without KP.

The longer the season goes on, the easier it is to like KP as a player.
Like Reply
Kristaps is getting better but he is still not looking like the robin to the Luka batman. Can you depend on him to take over to score if Luka ever struggles or gets inured? Tell me can you? He misses way too many wide open 3's and always seems to rush his shots. Still not silky smooth like Dirk. Overall jury is still out if he will ever become the next Dirk or NY Knicks version Porzingis. Looking like a C+ player at the moment.
Like Reply
(11-25-2019, 08:54 PM)TheSportyChannel Wrote: Kristaps is getting better but he is still not looking like the robin to the Luka batman. Can you depend on him to take over to score if Luka ever struggles or gets inured? Tell me can you? He misses way too many wide open 3's and always seems to rush his shots. Still not silky smooth like Dirk. Overall jury is still out if he will ever become the next Dirk or NY Knicks version Porzingis. Looking like a C+ player at the moment.

At least you acknowledge that he is getting better. Patience is a virtue. Remember George and Hayward. Wouldn´t be suprised if it takes him all year to get back to his best.
Also wouldn´t be suprised if he is better than he ever was next year.
Right now I am pretty happy that he is having a big impact on defense and improved his reboundin.. Anything he offers on offense is a bonus.
Like Reply
When he gets his shot pacing down, he is going to dominate.  He is a beat quick on his shots - just a little rushed.  The funny thing is it isn't necessary.  The defense is not even bothering his shot.  In the Houston game, it was amazing how small he made Ty look.  If Ty's length couldn't bother him down there, he is going to be fine.  I think his post game will become a strength in the next year - particularly when he is on the floor without Luka.  Elbow action and low post stuff.  3pt spacer when Luka is out there.
Like Reply
Anyone think the Batman/Robin thing is a simplistic and outdated model? I mean, who was the "Robin" to Kawhi's Batman in Toronto? Lowry? Dude didn't even make his first All Star game until he was 28 and that was in the pathetic East. He has made 1 All NBA Team, 3rd Team, in a 14 year career. Was Jet a dependable "Robin" every night for Dirk? No, many nights Jet didn't have it. You can a Championship with a Lowry or Jet as your "Robin" when you have Dirk or Kawhi as your batman. So can KP the "Robin" some nights? Sure, he's probably going to be a 20 ppg guy when it's all said and done by the end of the year. Curry might be the Robin on some nights if he gets the hot hand. Or THJ. Or someone else. But if KP can just provide elite level rim defense with ~40% 3PT success, he's worth every penny of the max contract for the next 5 years the Mavs paid him.
Like Reply
I feel bad for KP to be honest. I don't think he's anywhere near what he'll be after the all star break, but he's a damn good player guys. If we didn't have Luka we would all be pumped about how good KP is. Unfortunately I think Luka's greatness overshadows how good KP is as a basketball player. KP will never be Dirk. There will never be another Dirk, but that doesn't mean KP can't put up 22-24 ppg and 10 boards a game when he's fully back.

Think about how bad this team was 2 years ago and how we didn't have anyone on the team to build for the future. Now we're complaining about the Unicorn as our #2. It's almost laughable to me. He's still rusty, but who the heck wouldn't love to have KP as their #2. He's a #1 on most teams.
Like Reply
(11-26-2019, 02:52 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I feel bad for KP to be honest. I don't think he's anywhere near what he'll be after the all star break, but he's a damn good player guys. If we didn't have Luka we would all be pumped about how good KP is. Unfortunately I think Luka's greatness overshadows how good KP is as a basketball player. KP will never be Dirk. There will never be another Dirk, but that doesn't mean KP can't put up 22-24 ppg and 10 boards a game when he's fully back.

Think about how bad this team was 2 years ago and how we didn't have anyone on the team to build for the future. Now we're complaining about the Unicorn as our #2. It's almost laughable to me. He's still rusty, but who the heck wouldn't love to have KP as their #2. He's a #1 on most teams.

Well-said, except that KP's past rebounding struggles would make his averaging double-digit rebounds - which he's not all that far away from doing - worthy of a standing ovation. We as Mavs fans should be ecstatic at his rebounding. I think it all has to do with not having to be the guy - frees him up for a lot more dirty work.
Like Reply
Yeah historically KP hasn't been a good rebounder, but I'm definitely encouraged by his recent success. Let's hope he maintains all these double doubles.
Like Reply
Porzingis 0-8 from the field and 0-6 from 3’s. 2 points for the game. Brought him into the mavs to be Luka robin when Luka has an off game. He’s so far been not worth a penny so far. He’s been a liability and still takes a shot as soon as someone throws him the ball.
Like Reply
Can we officially call Kristaps Porzingis an inefficient chucker? Seems like everybody, including me, was saying something along those lines for THJ. 

KP is shooting below 40% from the field, 35% from three, and only 70% from FT. That is terrible for a max contract player.

THJ for comparison's sake is shooting: 42% from the field, 39% from three, and 79% from FT.
Like Reply
(11-30-2019, 01:09 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Can we officially call Kristaps Porzingis an inefficient chucker? Seems like everybody, including me, was saying something along those lines for THJ. 

KP is shooting below 40% from the field, 35% from three, and only 70% from FT. That is terrible for a max contract player.

THJ for comparison's sake is shooting: 42% from the field, 39% from three, and 79% from FT.

If he's still playing like this next year; sure. But it's way to early still IMO.

And besides, One is coming off 18 months of inactivity and the other has been playing ball without much interruption. 

Last night, a lot of his shots looked short so to me, his legs are still getting there i guess.
Like Reply
I personally think the team needs to do a much better job of involving KP. He rarely gets wide open looks like everyone else. That's why he forces bad shots imo. He gets the ball in bad spots. He doesn't get the ball when he pins a guy down low. I don't know exactly how to use him, but what we are doing doesn't seem like we are setting him up for success. He gets frustrated and rushes shots. I know KP is rusty and I'm not worried about him long term, but he needs some help imo. 35% isn't bad from 3 considering how long or contested most of his shots are. He pulls from really deep.
Like Reply