Poll: With the current injuries, defensive struggles, and rumors swirling what would you do with KP?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Hold on to him! --- This will pass and he will be an elite player once he can get in game shape and put these unlucky injuries behind him.
47.69%
31 47.69%
Trade him this deadline in March! --- His value is possibly at the highest it will be and the Mavs need to get whatever they can in return for him.
13.85%
9 13.85%
Give him the rest of the season, then trade him this summer! --- Let KP get back and play himself back into shape/health and increase his trade value, but then move him this summer because clearly he is not the right fit next to Luka and with RC.
24.62%
16 24.62%
Something else....post below.
13.85%
9 13.85%
Total 65 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS
I have never left the KP trade bandwagon, he is fools gold. The team plays better when he does not play, at least Luka does anyone because he is able to play freel

We will never be a contender with him as the 2nd option on this team. 

His durability and mentality is just not what you want from a guy getting paid like a superstar. The sooner the Mavericks figure this out the better. 

Also, Luka needs traditional pieces,  screen setters and finishers around the basket type skillsets from his bigs. KP is not consistent enough to provide that.
Like Reply
(01-30-2022, 10:17 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: He seems like kind of an injury risk now that he’s in his 30s.  He’s missed a lot of games the last couple of years.  I’d say he’s a player in decline.  Brunson is the better, more versatile player, now and going forward.

Brunson is for Collins. KP is for CJ. 

I think KP is a better player than McCollum just in terms of impact, but if we only get 50 games a year from KP I'd rather have McCollum. 

McCollum isn't a slouch either. He is one of the best mid range shooters of the last 5 years, and he's averaged nearly 5 assists a game in that same span. Brunson is for sure the more attractive piece, but I think Collins is near Brunson's territory there anyways.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-30-2022, 11:33 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Brunson is for Collins. KP is for CJ. 

I think KP is a better player than McCollum just in terms of impact, but if we only get 50 games a year from KP I'd rather have McCollum. 

McCollum isn't a slouch either. He is one of the best mid range shooters of the last 5 years, and he's averaged nearly 5 assists a game in that same span. Brunson is for sure the more attractive piece, but I think Collins is near Brunson's territory there anyways.

If we are talking major blow-up again, I´d probably prefer

Porzingis/Levert to Sacramento
Barnes/THJ to Indiana
Turner/Hield to Dallas
Like Reply
(01-30-2022, 12:08 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: If we are talking major blow-up again, I´d probably prefer

Porzingis/Levert to Sacramento
Barnes/THJ to Indiana
Turner/Hield to Dallas

Ah yes I too would be interested in seeing a good Sacramento team again but not at the expense of the Mavs.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick, mvossman
Like Reply
(01-30-2022, 11:33 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Brunson is for Collins. KP is for CJ. 

I’d be just fine with a package that brings back Collins. He has size and athleticism and usually has excellent shooting splits from the three, the two, and the line (I haven’t checked this year though).  Somehow, he seems underutilized in Atlanta, though I think he could be an all star in Dallas. But that part of this trade idea seems like a complicated pipe dream.  My plan would be more like pay Brunson his $20 million per year and look for a way to dump a meaningful portion of Zinger’s salary.  I admit that’s not as fun though.
Like Reply
[Image: FLHiiGQXsAA_IH1?format=jpg&name=large]
Like Reply
[Image: 200w.gif?cid=82a1493bhpnakpvavbvbnfuho76...w.gif&ct=s]
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/IsaacLHarris/status/...3071115266
Like Reply
I voted "HOLD ON TO HIM" today.  Big Grin
This thread is going to be locked and buried.
Like Reply
As expected, KP is catching a lot of grief now that he's gone.  Some of that is warranted and some of it is not.  Yes, he wanted out of New York.  No, he didn't ask for the Mavs to trade for him.  Yes, he signed the contract.  The injuries weren't his fault and surely frustrated him much more than it ever frustrated anyone else.  He was "the guy" in New York and Dallas gave him a contract to be "the guy", at least in tandem, here.  The fit never worked with Luka, nor Carlisle.  He bares some responsibility in that but so do the Mavs for trading for him before they even knew what they had with their drafted superstar.  Carlisle and traded players, much like draft picks, are often a coinflip.  There were moments tantalizing greatness and moments that left us scratching our heads.  Throughout it all, he was a class act and professional with the media and by all accounts, was a hard worked and good teammate (DFS approved).  Before we bury him for the injuries and on-the-court shortcomings, I think we should try to put ourselves in his shoes.  It can't have been easy to be relegated to the role he ended up with towards the end of Carlisle's tenure.  I don't think he handled the on court frustrations perfectly, but no one is perfect and things could have been a lot worse.  

While the relationship is a mess and I was never his biggest fan as a player, I am a fan of the person.  I appreciate KP and hope you find health and success on the court and beyond.
[-] The following 11 users Like cow's post:
  • Arioch, chaparral, DrMav, Kammrath, khaled1987, KillerLeft, LukTheShadow, Mapka, omahen, Smitty, soog
Like Reply
KP and Luka were not a good match together on the floor. We all know they are not the best defenders so it's hard to have both on the floor. But even offensively, it looked like their games and skillsets did not compliment each other. The Two Man Game never worked out because Luka isn't really a blow-by-the-defender type of guard to create the overall space that KP needs and KP was a decent but not great shooter from deep. What made the Two Man Game work so well with Dirk/Jet and even Dirk/JJB was because of the space that the players could create, either with the defense respecting Dirk/Jet's shooting ability or JJB's quickness and slashing ability. 

Defenses know that when they see KP setting a screen for Luka, they will need to switch and take their chances with Luka vs. a big man or KP vs. a smaller defender. Or be aggressive guarding Luka with both defenders and leave KP wide open for a long three that he would often settle for. If they switched and KP had a smaller defender, he struggled to consistently win those matchups.

Luka is better off with a rim-running big man and/or a true sharpshooter. And I think KP will be better with a PG with traditional size who is quick and can get to the rim.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1492286215126597633
Like Reply
https://deadspin.com/kristaps-porzingis-...1848522460
Like Reply
(02-12-2022, 12:55 AM)cow Wrote: https://deadspin.com/kristaps-porzingis-...1848522460

Quote:The upside is obvious for Dallas, even if the end result will be the same: Luka Dončić does everything, and the team loses in the first (maybe second?) round. They’re third in the league in scoring defense but 24th in scoring, and it gives the Mavericks a player in Dinwiddie who can get his own offense when the ball is in his hands and Dončić is on the bench (and then complain about not having the ball when Dončić is on the court).

Bertāns can make open 3s, and those are the kinds of players Dončić loves. In addition to him being a better shooter than Porziņģis, he’s also happier doing it. It was no secret that Porziņģis became disinterested on the defensive end (and displeased in general) after being asked to play role player for Dončić and jog from the opposing team’s paint to the Dallas 3-point line for a couple seasons.

He had picked up the defense under new coach Jason Kidd, but couldn’t stay healthy, missing more than a third of the games played so far with an array of ailments. He’s actually injured right now. My guess is the Mavs know they can play defense without Porziņģis, so why not see if they can play defense without a fifth man, because Bertāns is basically a training cone.

Whenever Washington does get its Latvian back, there’s no one on the roster with the name recognition, or the unsatiated ego, to keep the ’Zinger from getting the touches he so desperately desires. Maybe he resurrects his career — or at least boosts his trade value enough to get assets in return.

The one thing it guarantees is people will have a really tall guy to point at and say, “That’s our best player” when they intermittently wander into Capital One Arena to watch the Wiz play the rest of this season. Whether they say it without sarcasm is up to them. Whether Porziņģis is in street clothes when they point at him is up to the basketball gods.

Also, when Beal gets back next year he’ll be able to return to his natural state of deferment (assuming both he and Porziņģis are still on the team). Even in the wildest dreams of the most optimistic Wizards fan, they’re still not winning 50-plus games, though.
Like Reply
When do we find out if the trade is complete?  I.e. he didn't flunk the physical?
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/WashWizards/status/1...6358230017
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/statu...7178440705
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/JoshuaBRobbins/statu...8131951616
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/JoshuaBRobbins/statu...6372110338
Like Reply
(02-12-2022, 10:19 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/statu...7178440705

He has been hanging out with Luka too long. Smile
Like Reply