Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BLM the official message of the NBA
(09-02-2020, 01:44 AM)Dahlsim Wrote:
(09-01-2020, 09:58 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: ....
We need accountability in this nation. Our police force has run for way too long without enough accountability. Our politicians have gone far too far without any accountability. After watching that video Dahlsim posted, BLM seems like they haven't been given enough accountability to stop the snowball that is rolling. NRA has no accountability. 

We need to get people into office that will boil all these grievances down to specifics so we can get to a state of accountability
Accountability and specifics.

Agree 100%.  That's actually what election time is supposed to be for accountability.  The system only gives us a binary choice in the end but people do have the ability to hold leaders responsible. 

Those elected leaders are the ones that get hired to spend full time hours working on the specifics of solutions. 
Everyday Americans realistically aren't going to have that time or take out that much time to figure out specific solutions even if they have the time.  Its not going to happen. 

So we the people are responsible for holding the right people accountable. That's why there's so much noise right now in the news about who is actually responsible for the carnage happening in so many US cities. If we hold the wrong political leaders accountable then there won't be solutions.
Well, like you say, there are only two parties from which to choose, and they are ideologically diametrically opposed to each other.  And the power of incumbency, for the most part, allows them to escape any accountability.

Sadly, at this point in time, the elected leaders of one party don't "work on the specifics of solutions", at all.  They spend full time hours working on how to undermine and even overthrow the president of the opposing party.  They make absurd budget demands($3 trillion for the next covid-19 relief package), and then when the other party balks at that, they paint them as not caring about the American people.  Never mind caring about the American people's children and grandchildren who will be required to pay off those $ trillions.  Meanwhile, big city mayors seem quite content to let their cities burn, rather than quelling the rioting and burning, because to put a stop to it would risk their being seen as being in agreement with Trump

(09-02-2020, 10:26 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
We need accountability in this nation. Our police force has run for way too long without enough accountability. Our politicians have gone far too far without any accountability. After watching that video Dahlsim posted, BLM seems like they haven't been given enough accountability to stop the snowball that is rolling. NRA has no accountability. 

We need to get people into office that will boil all these grievances down to specifics so we can get to a state of accountability

Agree 100%.  That's actually what election time is supposed to be for accountability.  The system only gives us a binary choice in the end but people do have the ability to hold leaders responsible. 

Those elected leaders are the ones that get hired to spend full time hours working on the specifics of solutions. 
Everyday Americans realistically aren't going to have that time or take out that much time to figure out specific solutions even if they have the time.  Its not going to happen. 

So we the people are responsible for holding the right people accountable. That's why there's so much noise right now in the news about who is actually responsible for the carnage happening in so many US cities. If we hold the wrong political leaders accountable then there won't be solutions.
I'm so against both parties right now cause all both sides are doing is causing confusion. I don't like the way any of this is going. (Edit: I need to lump the media into this rant who is doing us absolutely no favors and needs to be held accountable too!!!)

I wish we had more elected officials that cared more about their constituents than the lobbyist whispering in their ear and buying from their shell company. 

I want people who truly care about America and are DOING (not talking about) the things they believe will better our lives. 

I can accept trying and failing, I have just grown so terribly tired of talking and not doing. Every election time we all get told what the vision is and what will happen if we elect them. Whoever it is gets elected (either party) on that platform and we're lucky if they get a couple of those bullet points accomplished.

Man, the single biggest thing I LOVED about Trump's platform was his vision for taxes. Everyone pays a straight whatever% (15-20? If I remember correctly). No more tax breaks, no more write offs, no ways to get out of it. If you earn money in America, you pay the government the same % as every other person making money in America. Makes tax season simple, no more putting together books-worth of ridiculous paperwork.

I didn't vote for either side that last election cause I didn't like either candidate and I can't stand the thought of picking the lesser of 2 evils, so I voted for the other guy that was on the ballot without knowing who he was or what he wanted. This next election I'm considering just finding a random guy that I agree with on this forum, asking him for his name and writing his name down, cause like last election I can't understand why both parties are gonna make us choose between the 2 candidates they're putting forth. 

I get more and more upset every year with the way our politicians are treating us, and while throwing away my single vote won't accomplish what I want to have happen, I know the path we continue going down doesn't work either.

Something's gotta change and we need to get down to specifics to give our system, leaders and civil servants accountability.
You may be confusing the flat tax with the Fair Tax.  I do like the flat tax idea, although I do believe the flat tax does exempt income below a certain level.  I strongly believe that it would really help the country if everybody has some "skin in the game".  When you have skin in the game, you are much more likely to care about how the government is spending your money.

But the Fair Tax(national sales tax) would be even better, IMO, because that would force those who operate in the underground economy to pay in to the government.  These would be people who work for cash and those people involved in the illegal drug trade.  When they go to spend their money at retail businesses, they would pay their federal tax at the point of sale.  But the only way I would support the Fair Tax is if the federal income tax was abolished, and if it is only applied at the point of final sales, i.e., not a value added tax.
Like Reply
(09-02-2020, 12:12 PM)mtrot Wrote:

Well, like you say, there are only two parties from which to choose, and they are ideologically diametrically opposed to each other.  And the power of incumbency, for the most part, allows them to escape any accountability.

This is very true ... 
Quote:  And the power of incumbency, for the most part, allows them to escape any accountability.

but the power incumbency is driven from an ignorance and apathy in the general public. 
So at the end of the day the power is still there with the people IF the majority of the people, or even a passionate enough minority, were driven by the right values or dare I say 'righteousness'. 

So the real root problem actually is a very, very old one: 
Quote:Proverbs 14:34 Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.
Like Reply
(09-02-2020, 03:22 PM)Dahlsim Wrote:

This is very true ... 
Quote:  And the power of incumbency, for the most part, allows them to escape any accountability.

but the power incumbency is driven from an ignorance and apathy in the general public. 
So at the end of the day the power is still there with the people IF the majority of the people, or even a passionate enough minority, were driven by the right values or dare I say 'righteousness'. 

Quote:Proverbs 14:34 Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.
Yep, and you've hit the nail on the head as to the real issue in our country, and opened my floodgates!

Okay, so the problem is that 50% or more of the adult population in the US has rejected the very notion of the existence of absolute truth, which truth would necessarily descend from an absolute source, i.e., God.  And they also reject the existence of God, so there is no longer any basis for absolute truth.  Progressing farther from that point, there then is no real basis for our system of law.  "In those days, every man did what was right in his own eyes".  This is where the far left in this country basically is.  Having rejected absolute truth, they see no reason to continue to obey our framework of laws, which ultimately and largely date back to the Ten Commandments. 

Another and associated reason for the current rejection of traditional values in the Western world is the acceptance of mechanistic Darwinian evolution.  If humans are the result of millions of years of survival of the fittest, and have no divine, intrinsic value, then we should not be surprised if people who believe that way feel free to assault, intimidate, and marginalize those who believe differently.  If we are merely cosmic accidents floating around in the universe, then what reason is there to love one's neighbor as oneself?  Why not take what you want from others, if you have the power to do so?  You may take it with your own hand, or you may take it by aligning with a political power that will do that for you.  

Thus, if some people see that their neighbor possesses a better gadget than they do, then they feel like that should not be the case.  With this mentality, it is easy for politicians to whip people up into a state of class envy and jealousy.  At that point, the people with this mentality will then vote for whichever politician promises to give them these things, supposedly free of charge.  But the problem is, nothing is free and somebody will actually be paying up. 

Also, as Benjamin Franklin opined, a republican form of government is a great thing, if you can keep it.  And that it is only viable for a moral people.  He was well aware of human nature and a student of history.  As soon as people discover that they can vote for themselves money from the general treasury, then a republic is in trouble.  Okay, rant off!
Like Reply
(09-02-2020, 04:17 PM)mtrot Wrote:

This is very true ... 

Yep, and you've hit the nail on the head as to the real issue in our country, and opened my floodgates!

Okay, so the problem is that 50% or more of the adult population in the US has rejected the very notion of the existence of absolute truth, which truth would necessarily descend from an absolute source, i.e., God.  And they also reject the existence of God, so there is no longer any basis for absolute truth.  Progressing farther from that point, there then is no real basis for our system of law.  "In those days, every man did what was right in his own eyes".  This is where the far left in this country basically is.  Having rejected absolute truth, they see no reason to continue to obey our framework of laws, which ultimately and largely date back to the Ten Commandments. 

Another and associated reason for the current rejection of traditional values in the Western world is the acceptance of mechanistic Darwinian evolution.  If humans are the result of millions of years of survival of the fittest, and have no divine, intrinsic value, then we should not be surprised if people who believe that way feel free to assault, intimidate, and marginalize those who believe differently.  If we are merely cosmic accidents floating around in the universe, then what reason is there to love one's neighbor as oneself?  Why not take what you want from others, if you have the power to do so?  You may take it with your own hand, or you may take it by aligning with a political power that will do that for you.  

Thus, if some people see that their neighbor possesses a better gadget than they do, then they feel like that should not be the case.  With this mentality, it is easy for politicians to whip people up into a state of class envy and jealousy.  At that point, the people with this mentality will then vote for whichever politician promises to give them these things, supposedly free of charge.  But the problem is, nothing is free and somebody will actually be paying up

Also, as Benjamin Franklin opined, a republican form of government is a great thing, if you can keep it.  And that it is only viable for a moral people.  He was well aware of human nature and a student of history.  As soon as people discover that they can vote for themselves money from the general treasury, then a republic is in trouble.  Okay, rant off!

Nice! A lot of great quotes in there.    Heart it  Angel
The basis of ethics as you quoted Judges 21:25 is a real summation of moral relativism which slides so easily into good old fashioned evil. 
[Image: tumblr_n7hne4IVA61tf3egko1_500.jpg]

Elmer T. Peterson in the Daily Oklahoman citing  obscure Scottsman Tyiler may actually be the most accurate known source of that great quote btw.  Big Grin

[Image: 2e74418d7a1ee94befbdc188bc297154_300x180.jpg]
Like Reply
(09-02-2020, 05:42 PM)Dahlsim Wrote:
(09-02-2020, 01:44 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: Agree 100%.  That's actually what election time is supposed to be for accountability.  The system only gives us a binary choice in the end but people do have the ability to hold leaders responsible. 

This is very true ... 

Thus, if some people see that their neighbor possesses a better gadget than they do, then they feel like that should not be the case.  With this mentality, it is easy for politicians to whip people up into a state of class envy and jealousy.  At that point, the people with this mentality will then vote for whichever politician promises to give them these things, supposedly free of charge.  But the problem is, nothing is free and somebody will actually be paying up

The basis of ethics as you quoted Judges 21:25 is a real summation of moral relativism which slides so easily into good old fashioned evil. 

Elmer T. Peterson in the Daily Oklahoman citing  obscure Scottsman Tyiler may actually be the most accurate known source of that great quote btw.  Big Grin

This is getting very interesting.  More entertaining than the free agency stuff.  I just way to say that there is lots of slogans out there on both sides:  no justice no peace, accountability,  BLM, maga, etc.  The nba wrote a bunch on the jerseys.  But whats the point? What is the goal.  How do you prevent racism or police shootings?  What reforms are needed? Body cams already exist,  independent review already exists,  federal review exists.  In the George case the officer was arrested.  So what is it that BLM wants? Defunding police?  If so you can count me out, I think they need more money to deal with rogue cops and have better recruitment not less.
Like Reply
(09-03-2020, 11:54 PM)haveitall Wrote:
(09-02-2020, 05:42 PM)Dahlsim Wrote:
(09-02-2020, 12:12 PM)mtrot Wrote: Well, like you say, there are only two parties from which to choose, and they are ideologically diametrically opposed to each other.  And the power of incumbency, for the most part, allows them to escape any accountability.

This is very true ... 

This is getting very interesting.  More entertaining than the free agency stuff.  I just way to say that there is lots of slogans out there on both sides:  no justice no peace, accountability,  BLM, maga, etc.  The nba wrote a bunch on the jerseys.  But whats the point? What is the goal.  How do you prevent racism or police shootings?  What reforms are needed? Body cams already exist,  independent review already exists,  federal review exists.  In the George case the officer was arrested.  So what is it that BLM wants? Defunding police?  If so you can count me out, I think they need more money to deal with rogue cops and have better recruitment not less.
Proud of my home state: 

https://nypost.com/2020/09/11/nj-officia...l-service/
Like Reply
We need more thoughtful debates on the subject rather than simple sound bite "news" media. 

Like Reply
I've been meaning to cricle back to this discussion. I've been moved by it since one of the rounds of shootings/killings/abuse a few years ago, which is probably decades late to the party. But I've mostly kept it all inside until the George Floyd video, which I wish wasn't the case. So I was going to weigh in more fully, but since the last time I posted I found a writer/speaker/scholar that I think has the goods on this topic. I can't stop trying to find new articles he's written or youtube videos of him speaking. I can't get enough. And anything I could say doesn't compare to what Esau has to say. 

Look up Esau McCaulley and read and listen to everthying you can find. I think it's potentially life changing stuff regardless of your ethnicity or stance on these issues.
Like Reply
(09-23-2020, 12:44 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I've been meaning to cricle back to this discussion. I've been moved by it since one of the rounds of shootings/killings/abuse a few years ago, which is probably decades late to the party. But I've mostly kept it all inside until the George Floyd video, which I wish wasn't the case. So I was going to weigh in more fully, but since the last time I posted I found a writer/speaker/scholar that I think has the goods on this topic. I can't stop trying to find new articles he's written or youtube videos of him speaking. I can't get enough. And anything I could say doesn't compare to what Esau has to say. 

Look up Esau McCaulley and read and listen to everthying you can find. I think it's potentially life changing stuff regardless of your ethnicity or stance on these issues.

Cool but how about just posting a link for us to one you find particularly insightful?
Like Reply
(09-23-2020, 01:52 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: Cool but how about just posting a link for us to one you find particularly insightful?

Sure thing!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/14/opini...bible.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/10/opini...stice.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOZl-Kz-2Fw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA9fSJEnLAs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPUi7g7XVu8&t=15s
Like Reply
(09-23-2020, 02:23 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(09-23-2020, 01:52 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: Cool but how about just posting a link for us to one you find particularly insightful?

Sure thing!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/10/opini...stice.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOZl-Kz-2Fw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA9fSJEnLAs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPUi7g7XVu8&t=15s
The park where I run and take my kids Is located in a suburb town that is 90% white/Asian.  There is a small group of black folks that live nearby and there are quite a few in the park.  I don’t care almost no one cares about their skin color.  Yes there was a crime and a black man was shot but this is anecdotal.  I am not saying racism doesn’t exist or that white people are sometimes irrationally scared of black people.  I am saying it’s rare for this to result in a shooting so that this guys has to wear lime green shirts when running.  It’s like saying well a man got eaten by a wolf in a park so now I must jog with a rifle.  The NYtimes is one of the most lying sac of crap corporations that writes every single line of story with an agenda in this case to justify the riots and to promote racial unrest.
Like Reply
(09-23-2020, 02:23 PM)fifteenth Wrote:

Sure thing!

I love his reference to Ps. 137 as a Psalms of the traumatized.  He goes on to point out one of the evidence that scripture is divinely inspired because unlike human tendencies it goes on to speak of forgiveness, and redemption even of the unjust. 

The scriptures always have the right wisdom on matters of value and virtue. That wisdom is timeless and proven.   

Quote:For Christians, rage (Psalm 137) must eventually give way to hope (Isaiah 49). And we find the spiritual resources to make this transition at the cross.

Christians contend for justice because we care about black lives, families and communities. We contend for reconciliation after the establishment of justice because there must be a future that is more than mutual contempt and suspicion. But justice and reconciliation cannot come at the cost of black lives. The only peaceful future is a just future. And because Christians should be a people for peace, we must be a people for justice even when it seems ever to elude us. Too many black lives have been lost to accept anything else.

People often forget who Martin Luther King really was when they label him as a "Civil Rights Leader".  Martin Luther King was a Christian Preacher, a Biblical Theologian, before he became a Civil Rights Leader.  In fact it sourced his dialog and direction as a Civil Rights Leader. 

It's the reason a peaceful protest under MLK was actually peaceful and the only violence came from the unrighteous authorities.  That led to the public forcing the change of not only unjust laws but changing unrighteous hearts and minds.  

The issue now can be boiled down to a secularized American society that has rejected the wisdom of God as found in the scriptures. 
If the traumatized over black lives were basing their solutions on the inspiration of the Prophets and Apostles and scripture, none of the escalations to violence would be occurring that we see now across the country.
Like Reply
In all honesty, I think the higher powers in the media all sit back and laugh about how easy it is to stir any and everybody up.
Like Reply