Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Mike Fisher and Maven/SI
(12-15-2019, 09:45 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(12-15-2019, 09:24 PM)fifteenth Wrote: To cultivate our own insiders from scratch we probably need for one of us to have some journalism chops, get credentialed, build relationships with players, coaches and front office folk, and then give us content for free.
Sounds good. Mavsluvr, you're our targeted insider, what say you? However, it means you have to go to games and behind the scenes interviews with the name mavsluvr, no real names from us!
I second this!
Like Reply
https://gfycat.com/uglyembarrassedaldabratortoise
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(12-15-2019, 06:07 PM)vg2011 Wrote: How can we cultivate our own "insiders".

Just call yourself an insider and write vague articles.
Like Reply
Wow...just amazing what happened to the DB.com forums.

It's 2020 and message boards are super easy to create and they basically just without warning deleted it all. Like was said early on, I'm old enough now not to question anyone for selling out if that was in their best financial interest, but the idea that they can't slap a message board with thousands of users onto their website is really just a baffling decision. Their coyness about it certainly leaves a bad taste behind as well. I remember when they first moved, it was like "okay what's this...this isn't a message board it's awful" and Fish and the employees were all "trying to get it worked out blah blah" which okay, fine, I gave it a while, still *not a message board*. Don't think the iintent was ever to keep it a message board based on the way it's set up. Then I forgot about it until literally today and went over there and it's just a barren wasteland of nothing. I don't think I've even read one article from them since the "move" because there's really no point if there's nowhere to discuss it. They aren't really newsbreakers or reporters, but discussion generators.

I interact with those guys on Twitter about the Mavs and they are fine and I have no ill will towards anyone and obviously they'd like to stay employed and keep their job, but that doesn't make it any more logical. Feel like this is just a small sports media step on the way to idiocracy where we all just read bleacher report and listen to stephen a smith all day for sports.
Like Reply
(09-30-2020, 02:24 PM)harharbasketball Wrote: Wow...just amazing what happened to the DB.com forums.

It's 2020 and message boards are super easy to create and they basically just without warning deleted it all. Like was said early on, I'm old enough now not to question anyone for selling out if that was in their best financial interest, but the idea that they can't slap a message board with thousands of users onto their website is really just a baffling decision. Their coyness about it certainly leaves a bad taste behind as well. I remember when they first moved, it was like "okay what's this...this isn't a message board it's awful" and Fish and the employees were all "trying to get it worked out blah blah" which okay, fine, I gave it a while, still *not a message board*. Don't think the iintent was ever to keep it a message board based on the way it's set up. Then I forgot about it until literally today and went over there and it's just a barren wasteland of nothing. I don't think I've even read one article from them since the "move" because there's really no point if there's nowhere to discuss it. They aren't really newsbreakers or reporters, but discussion generators.

I interact with those guys on Twitter about the Mavs and they are fine and I have no ill will towards anyone and obviously they'd like to stay employed and keep their job, but that doesn't make it any more logical. Feel like this is just a small sports media step on the way to idiocracy where we all just read bleacher report and listen to stephen a smith all day for sports.

Maven doesn't see a good business model for traditional message boards.  They say its hard to monetize.
Like Reply
(10-01-2020, 10:57 PM)Dahlsim Wrote:
(09-30-2020, 02:24 PM)harharbasketball Wrote: Wow...just amazing what happened to the DB.com forums.

Maven doesn't see a good business model for traditional message boards.  They say its hard to monetize.

I think Fish should have been upfront with people then. "The message board is going away, this is what we'll do now, we can't maintain."
Like Reply
(10-13-2020, 04:42 PM)harharbasketball Wrote:
(10-01-2020, 10:57 PM)Dahlsim Wrote:

I think Fish should have been upfront with people then. "The message board is going away, this is what we'll do now, we can't maintain."

According to Fish, he was expecting that Maven would be beefing up the community features of the site. 
The monetization model is Maven's however along with SI. 
I only know from actually attending a few (online) meetings that it became clear the business model is the issue in terms of the online magazine and social media model vs the traditionally community forums.  That could lead to delaying or perhaps killing the community development features but then I don't know that it's dead even now.  

Personally I have history and affinity with traditional community boards.  Maybe that's from getting old.  Big Grin
I know there was serious consideration about integrating with this board as well. 
Magick had his own communications with Fish, maybe he knows more about how it's played out.
Like Reply