Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Mike Fisher and Maven/SI
(10-11-2019, 10:14 PM)embellisher Wrote:
(10-11-2019, 03:12 PM)WillE Wrote:
(10-11-2019, 01:22 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Well, I did (for the most part) like the articles by Fish and Co. That with the excellent board made it a one-stop for a daily Mavs fix. Even though I rarely went to the premium board, I still kept sending in my contribution to keep it up and running. That's stopped as of yesterday.

I'm liking this site better, we just need the season to get started to pull in more of the DB.com traffic. Do we expect any of Fish's core contributors to be a regular here?

I'm still curious about DLord.

He registered here but hasn't posted anything yet. But he didn't participate at Maven either, so I hope he will join this place sooner or later.

Has anybody seen DanSchwartzgan? He had almost as much basketball business expertise as DLord. I had hoped at least he would follow the community over here. Anybody know him personally? If so, you should invite him to come over here.
He has signed up here but has not posted yet...

(10-11-2019, 10:14 PM)embellisher Wrote:
(10-11-2019, 03:12 PM)WillE Wrote:
(10-11-2019, 01:22 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Well, I did (for the most part) like the articles by Fish and Co. That with the excellent board made it a one-stop for a daily Mavs fix. Even though I rarely went to the premium board, I still kept sending in my contribution to keep it up and running. That's stopped as of yesterday.

I'm liking this site better, we just need the season to get started to pull in more of the DB.com traffic. Do we expect any of Fish's core contributors to be a regular here?

I'm still curious about DLord.

He registered here but hasn't posted anything yet. But he didn't participate at Maven either, so I hope he will join this place sooner or later.

Has anybody seen DanSchwartzgan? He had almost as much basketball business expertise as DLord. I had hoped at least he would follow the community over here. Anybody know him personally? If so, you should invite him to come over here.
He has signed up here but has not posted yet...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(10-11-2019, 07:50 AM)TXBamanut Wrote: My plan was to post both places, but with Matt boy's salty response, I don't think they really need me over there.

I may still lurk, but we'll see.  Kind of ticked me off and I snarked back, but deleted it and went more mild.

It's sad... I've been there for almost two decades, but, oh well.... When you go big time,  you don't really need little people like me, I guess.

I don't think it's that.  I am sure Fish is frustrated with Maven and what he has got himself into, but he can't do what you're asking, which is post a competitor link for his posters to go to another site, be it for legal or personal reasons.  

Despite missteps by Fish and his mods many of us stuck through many iterations of that board because of the overall community.  However, this iteration of that board is a total disaster.  I'd mentioned to Fish to move to some established board like tapatalk because features and ease of use is also very important.  Now that a lot of folks have come here, it won't be the same for him, unless something goes wrong with this board.
Like Reply
(10-12-2019, 12:16 PM)hakeemfan Wrote:
(10-11-2019, 07:50 AM)TXBamanut Wrote: My plan was to post both places, but with Matt boy's salty response, I don't think they really need me over there.

I may still lurk, but we'll see.  Kind of ticked me off and I snarked back, but deleted it and went more mild.

It's sad... I've been there for almost two decades, but, oh well.... When you go big time,  you don't really need little people like me, I guess.

I don't think it's that.  I am sure Fish is frustrated with Maven and what he has got himself into, but he can't do what you're asking, which is post a competitor link for his posters to go to another site, be it for legal or personal reasons.  

Despite missteps by Fish and his mods many of us stuck through many iterations of that board because of the overall community.  However, this iteration of that board is a total disaster.  I'd mentioned to Fish to move to some established board like tapatalk because features and ease of use is also very important.  Now that a lot of folks have come here, it won't be the same for him, unless something goes wrong with this board.

Of course, the powers have shifted now: he's not in charge anymore of this community.

But it was his choice first, not ours. And I'm pretty sure most of the members would follow him, if he would put up a decent message board. Or I assume he could take over here any time he wants. But I assume at the end of the day both models don't work for him financially, so I'm happy we're not depending on his business decisions anymore (thx Magickian).
Like Reply
Some people like me are more interested in the Community than Fish.
Free Jalen Brunson!
Like Reply
If Fish were posting his stuff here, I would be happy.  I still check out their work over there, but I don't hang out there much.  I read, and leave.  I am sure that is what that site is capped at without a viable board.
Like Reply
(10-12-2019, 05:12 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: If Fish were posting his stuff here, I would be happy.  I still check out their work over there, but I don't hang out there much.  I read, and leave.  I am sure that is what that site is capped at without a viable board.

Yup, agree. Read & leave is a fitting description of what probabaly most users do there.

And that's what makes it even harder to understand: shouldn't any website want their users to stay as long as possible?
With their set up, they will never get there imo. They cannot compete with Twitter as far as being a place for short conversations. They're obviously not interested in long conversations like on this message board either.

So their niche is restricted to being a place for sport specific articles. That's nothing new and this market is pretty tough already. And as we all experience, other than reading these texts, there is no real further interaction there. So they completely depend on frequent and high volume output of their writers. They give away the opportunity to offer a place to discuss topics that go beyond the articles. KYK gone wrong...
Like Reply
(10-12-2019, 05:52 PM)WillE Wrote:
(10-12-2019, 05:12 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: If Fish were posting his stuff here, I would be happy.  I still check out their work over there, but I don't hang out there much.  I read, and leave.  I am sure that is what that site is capped at without a viable board.

Yup, agree. Read & leave is a fitting description of what probabaly most users do there.

And that's what makes it even harder to understand: shouldn't any website want their users to stay as long as possible?
With their set up, they will never get there imo. They cannot compete with Twitter as far as being a place for short conversations. They're obviously not interested in long conversations like on this message board either.

So their niche is restricted to being a place for sport specific articles. That's nothing new and this market is pretty tough already. And as we all experience, other than reading these texts, there is no real further interaction there. So they completely depend on frequent and high volume output of their writers. They give away the opportunity to offer a place to discuss topics that go beyond the articles. KYK gone wrong...

Super hard to monetize anything online. Pretty much the only places that make money are the ones who have traffic high enough for them to spy on visitors and sell that information to advertisers.  
But it doesn't even seem like the Maven people are trying. They are going to flame out super quick without some major platform changes.
Like Reply
(10-12-2019, 12:16 PM)hakeemfan Wrote:

I get all that.  I've followed him around the internet for the better part of two decades, maybe longer than you.  I was on db.com before the yuku boards, and I agree, it's sad.
But you know, it's never been right since going to these major network boards, and it's amazing that these guys can't replicate the experience that someone can do in their spare time....just amazing.  (I don't mean that for Fish, because I know, as I said over on the Maven stuff, that they are limited by the platform that they are on and that's not in their control.)
Like Reply
Majickian,

As a long time follower since the days of Patricia’s first page, I wanted to say thanks for resurrecting a decent forum where us Mavs fans can come to post and read about our beloved team. I don’t post too often these days, but I enjoy reading others opinions and hearing breaking news. To be honest, I can live with out Fish’s articles which are usually a lot of fluff and innuendos designed to draw readers to his page. 

Nice work!  So far so good!
Like Reply
(10-12-2019, 10:30 PM)OBX Maverick Wrote: since the days of Patricia’s first page

I'm around more than a dozen years, but that must have been before my time. Was that the first Mavs Forum next to Fish's spaces?
Like Reply
I been around since the Yuku days. I think my first post was like in 07 or something. Pretty crazy; that more than a decade and i know i am not the only one. lol
I once posted a thread about losing my wallet; i don't know if anyone remembers that thread lol.

But yeah, i am glad for this board as well as us as Fans just want somewhere to talk over the games, players, news, etc. I think we have the right people here on board to continue with that. Awesome board MFFLs.
Like Reply
(10-13-2019, 07:17 AM)WillE Wrote:
(10-12-2019, 10:30 PM)OBX Maverick Wrote: since the days of Patricia’s first page

I'm around more than a dozen years, but that must have been before my time. Was that the first Mavs Forum next to Fish's spaces?

You talking Flame, OBX?  RIP  She was the best.

I remember griping about Steve Cash leaving on the boards and a lengthy discussion about how, once you get to that amount of money, 10 million wouldn't change his life at all that never was resolved....still not cool with him completely.
Like Reply
(10-13-2019, 02:00 PM)TXBamanut Wrote:

I remember griping about Steve Cash leaving on the boards and a lengthy discussion about how, once you get to that amount of money, 10 million wouldn't change his life at all that never was resolved....still not cool with him completely.

So is Flame the above Patricia?

I pretty much started reading regulary when she came back to the board after an absence for the last time. She was already kind of a star back then. Everyone had his own story about her and only the warmest words. Too bad, I didn't experince more of her.
Like Reply
(10-13-2019, 02:13 PM)WillE Wrote:

So is Flame the above Patricia?

I pretty much started reading regulary when she came back to the board after an absence for the last time. She was already kind of a star back then. Everyone had his own story about her and only the warmest words. Too bad, I didn't experince more of her.

I was guessing at that, WillE, full disclosure, because I'm not totally sure on his subreference.
Like Reply
I miss Pat... her and I would talk a lot on fb, back in the day.
Like Reply

Yes. Way back in those dark 90’s when there wasn’t too much enthusiasm about Mavs.....when us die-hards had dreams of Eric Montross being the next best thing lol.
Like Reply
This is an excellent message board, nicely selected and implemented by Magick. 
There are a number of good communities available for the Mavs IMO.
  • Dallas-Mavs.com
  • Real-GM Dallas Mavericks
  • MavsMoneyBall
  • Mavs Reddit 
All good examples along with this one now.

What DB.com was is a community with some professional journalists contributing as well as fans led by Fish.
For that reason imho it would still be nice to see some integration with this forum and to see SI enhance their platform in that direction.
Like Reply
(10-16-2019, 01:18 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: For that reason imho it would still be nice to see some integration with this forum
Do you want us to communicate over there?
There is a (simple) reason for why people here prefer to write here...

(10-16-2019, 01:18 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: see SI enhance their platform in that direction.
Have I missed anything? 
To my eyes it's still nothing like a message board.
Like Reply
(10-16-2019, 01:26 PM)WillE Wrote: For that reason imho it would still be nice to see some integration with this forum

Do you want us to communicate over there?
There is a (simple) reason for why people here prefer to write here...

By integration I meant some technical integration.  People should post wherever they want to IMO. 

(10-16-2019, 01:18 PM)WillE Wrote: see SI enhance their platform in that direction.

Have I missed anything? 
To my eyes it's still nothing like a message board.

No.  Its not a message board and they are fully aware of that. 
I'm referring to potential future updates which the Maven folks have indicated they plan to do.
Like Reply
(10-17-2019, 03:36 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: I'm referring to potential future updates which the Maven folks have indicated they plan to do.
It's been said a lot about upcoming changes already.

Yet, nothing substantial happened to this very day.

Why don't we put this topic on hold until something of relevance actually happens?
Like Reply