Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Are the Mavericks So Bad at Honoring Former Players?
Due to the terrible tragedy that occurred, I would like to lighten the mood a bit. 

The Mavs are probably the worse team in the area (Cowboys, Rangers, Stars) at honoring former players. Dirk is a given. We all know and understand the honor coming his way eventually, but to me there is no reason the five numbers below are not hanging in the rafters of the AAC. 

#4 Micheal Finley 
#2 Jason Kidd
#23 Mark Aguirre 
#31 Jason Terry
#41 Dirk Nowitzki 

Thoughts?

Who would you take away or add from my list?
Like Reply
(01-27-2020, 08:34 PM)J817 Wrote: Due to the terrible tragedy that occurred, I would lighten the mood a bit. 

The Mavs are probably the worse team in the area (Cowboys, Rangers, Stars) at honoring former players. Dirk is a given. We all know and understand the honor coming his way eventually, but to me there is no reason the five numbers below are not hanging in the rafters of the AAC. 

#4 Micheal Finley 
#2 Jason Kidd
#24 Mark Aguirre 
#31 Jason Terry
#41 Dirk Nowitzki 

Thoughts?

I'd probably remove Kidd.  I can see arguments for excluding Aguirre.  I like the idea of retired numbers (ring of honor) being really, really exclusive.  

What about futures?  I'd think about Tyson and Barea, but that might be me being sentimental about the championship team.
Like Reply
I's start with getting Aguirre right
Like Reply
(01-27-2020, 08:42 PM)cow Wrote:
(01-27-2020, 08:34 PM)J817 Wrote: Due to the terrible tragedy that occurred, I would lighten the mood a bit. 

#4 Micheal Finley 
#2 Jason Kidd
#24 Mark Aguirre 
#31 Jason Terry
#41 Dirk Nowitzki 

Thoughts?

I'd probably remove Kidd.  I can see arguments for excluding Aguirre.  I like the idea of retired numbers (ring of honor) being really, really exclusive.  

What about futures?  I'd think about Tyson and Barea, but that might be me being sentimental about the championship team.

The Cowboys have the most exclusive ring of honor in the NFL and I feel like Jerry would have put Kidd in by now (see Charles Haley). 

Love Tyson but he only played here two years. Barea may have a case tho.
Like Reply
The Mavs are relatively a young organization compared to the others, like ones who had seen ABA days.  So I don't think we are bad, particularly if you compare: https://nbahoopsonline.com/History/retired.html .  See Pacers and Wizards for example.  Or the Warriors who only has 1 of the RunTMC trio up there.  From your list, personally I feel only Terry is really deserving (edit: aside from Dirk of course :p)
Like Reply
Derek Harper should be in before anyone else except Dirk.
Like Reply
Harper's 12 is already up there (huh, reviewed the link I posted above and saw they listed him "4".  But it's 12 in other lists)
Like Reply
I wasn't around for the Aguirre years but most of those names are pretty questionable.  Unless you were a 5+ time All star with the Mavs, I don't see the rush/need to retire the number.  Just because we haven't had very many good players doesn't mean we should lower our standards.
Like Reply
Yeah, JET's should be up there, not so sure about the others, to be honest.
Like Reply
(01-27-2020, 10:28 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: I wasn't around for the Aguirre years but most of those names are pretty questionable.  Unless you were a 5+ time All star with the Mavs, I don't see the rush/need to retire the number.  Just because we haven't had very many good players doesn't mean we should lower our standards.

I understand this point but Brad Davis is up there.
Like Reply
JET, Matrix, Finley, Kidd, Dirk

These are the Mavs that should have their jerseys retired(besides the ones already retired)... no one else has earned it.
Like Reply
(01-27-2020, 10:46 PM)J817 Wrote:
(01-27-2020, 10:28 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: I wasn't around for the Aguirre years but most of those names are pretty questionable.  Unless you were a 5+ time All star with the Mavs, I don't see the rush/need to retire the number.  Just because we haven't had very many good players doesn't mean we should lower our standards.

Agree with you there.  Never understood it.  I guess he worked as a commentator forever like Harper.

I think Blackman and Aguirre are borderline.  Dirk only no doubter.
Like Reply
(01-27-2020, 10:53 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote:
(01-27-2020, 10:28 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Just because we haven't had very many good players doesn't mean we should lower our standards.

Agree with you there.  Never understood it.  I guess he worked as a commentator forever like Harper.

In fairness Brad Davis has worked for the team since YEAR ONE. He has either been a player, Coach, or Radio Broadcaster. Don Carter did that, on his way out as owner, as a way of recognizing Brad for his loyalty.

But don't make that the rule, it is an exception. Our problem is that we started with the exception.
Like Reply
As I posted about Mark Aguirre, I watched Brad Davis play from the 5th row at Reunion beginning in his 2nd year, 1981-82. Brad Davis, in his myriad of contributions, was a very unique and extremely valuable contributor to the Mavericks becoming the expansion pride of the NBA as they did. Don Carter was very loyal to him and he was completely right to be. 

Brad was a lot like JJ Barea in that it was shocking, how effective he was as a player. His ability was fading by the time the Mavericks became really good but he was still a leading member of the team chemistry that team had....in spite of a few members who were not so good for team chemistry perhaps. We simply didn't hear about stuff inside the team like we do now. 

I am not a huge fan of any more Mavs being placed in the rafters (except Dirk).  I prefer team Championship banners. I love Jet for example but he was Dirk dependent to anything more than a very good player. He got his reward when he got the ring and it looks like he also will be a Maverick employee for the foreseeable future. 

I hope this Luka led team ends up with KP and a third guy being so good that 3 end up honored. That would be great because other than what Steve Nash could have become, Dirk never really had a Robin.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
(01-27-2020, 11:27 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote:
(01-27-2020, 10:53 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote:
(01-27-2020, 10:28 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Just because we haven't had very many good players doesn't mean we should lower our standards.

In fairness Brad Davis has worked for the team since YEAR ONE. He has either been a player, Coach, or Radio Broadcaster. Don Carter did that, on his way out as owner, as a way of recognizing Brad for his loyalty.

But don't make that the rule, it is an exception. Our problem is that we started with the exception.

Right, and now we are retiring the number of player who has never worn a Maverick uniform.

I understand many of you guy’s concept of only retiring jerseys of players who have been to multiple All Star games and has been named to multiple All NBA teams, but understand there is no NBA team in this league that honors that concept. Not Mavericks, not Spurs, not Heat, not Pistons, or the Celtics and Lakers.
Like Reply
Don Nelson.
Like Reply
Eh, to me it's not the All-star and All-NBA count.  It's how much the person meant to the franchise.  In a way, Kobe was the yardstick in the most relevant Mavs years to date, along with Duncan and his Spurs.  Not Jordan, not yet LeBron.

It's really not worth getting all invested in this "travesty".  There are multiple ways to honor former players.  It's not like they aren't honored if their jersey isn't hanging up there.
Like Reply
Jet Jersey should be retired soon.
He was the 2nd best player in Mavs first 2 final appearance with some clutch plays in the final. Was player of the game in game 6 in the finals iirc.
Like Reply
(01-27-2020, 08:34 PM)J817 Wrote: Due to the terrible tragedy that occurred, I would like to lighten the mood a bit. 

#4 Micheal Finley 
#2 Jason Kidd
#23 Mark Aguirre 
#31 Jason Terry
#41 Dirk Nowitzki 

Thoughts?

On that list, only Dirk should be in the rafters.  Kidds prime wasnt  here, Aguirre ruined his shot, Fin and Jet were just never on that level.

Dirk SHOIULD be the only one until 77 goes up someday.
Like Reply