Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 107, Jazz 112
Mavs Let Another One Slip Away

After leading almost the entire game, the Mavericks melted down in the clutch. A disappointing end to a very entertaining match. 

Game Story

Mudiay was out for the Jazz. Dallas' injured list included Powell and Broekhoff (said to be almost ready to return). Newly acquired center Willie Cauley-Stein was not yet with the team. Seth again replaced Powell in the starting lineup.

The Mavs jumped out to a lead in the first quarter, and ended the frame with a 36-25 advantage. The boys in blue were 6-11 from three-point land, and Luka led the squad with 12 points. 

The Jazz went on a 12-0 run to briefly take the lead in the second. Dallas recovered immediately, maintained their advantage over the remainder of the period, and went in to halftime with a 58-55 edge. A Utah media guy bemoaned the situation that "the Mavs aren't playing anyone Gobert can leave to play help defense," and that the fact that the Jazz guards and wings were being beaten by the Mavs' straight-line ball handlers did not bode well. 

The Jazz tied the game for a brief period early in the third, but the Mavs recaptured their lead and held on to it throughout, closing the quarter with an 84-80 margin. 

Utah tied the game a couple of times in the fourth, and even achieved a one-point lead for a possession at 5:07. The Mavericks were up by 4 with three minutes left, when the wheels came off. 

2:55  Bogdanovic hits a three. Mavs up 1.
2:37  Gobert is called for his fifth foul. DFS misses both free throws. Aargh. Bogdan misses a three.
1:50  Luka completes a driving bank shot in his only score of the quarter. Mavs up 3.
1:37  Mitchell hits a step-back three from 26 feet. Tie game. 
1:18  Luka loses his dribble and commits a live-ball turnover. Mitchell misses the ensuing layup, but Gobert tips it in. Jazz up 2.
0:52  Hardaway hits a three in what would be the Mavs' last score. Mavs up 1.
0:38  O'Neale drops a three in the bucket. Jazz up 2.
0:25  Gobert blocks Wright's layup attempt. DFS intentionally fouls Mitchell, who completes both free throws. Jazz up 4.
0:16  Luka misses a step-back three from 30 feet. DFS misses the tip-in attempt. KP intentionally fouls Gobert, who hits one of two free throws. Jazz up 5.
0:06  KP misses a three. Game over. 

So. 
Jazz go on a 14-5 run in the last three minutes. The Mavs miss two free throws. Allow three Jazz triples. Turn the ball over, resulting in a Jazz score off an offensive rebound. Gobert has an amazing block on Wright's attempted layup. Miss two threes and a tip-in. Luka takes three shots in the quarter and misses two of them. Mavs are 3-13 in the period from long range. Sad end to what had been a fun contest.

Analytics

The Mavs got six more shots up than the Jazz, and shot 39% from deep. However, they had a 9-attempt deficit on free throw attempts, and missed six of the 13 they got (four misses from Luka, two from DFS). Grrrr. They were +3 on points from threes, +2 on two-point shots, and -10 in made free throws. They lost the rebounding battle 44-54, and allowed Utah 28 second-chance points. They kept the game close with 19 points off Utah turnovers, along with good three-point shooting. Quarterly point differentials were +11, -8, +1, -9. Only three Mavs were in positive territory (KP, DFS, and Seth). The game was lost at the free throw line, on the glass, and in the clutch. 

Players

Luka (36 min) had a 25-6-7 line, along with two steals, but also had 4 turnovers and went 2-10 from three and 1-5 from the line. He delighted the bench with a throw down in the first quarter, and fell down but executed a thrilling cross-court pass from the ground to avoid being tied up.  Carlisle accounted for Luka's lack of attempts in the final frame as a defensive effort by the Jazz to push the ball into anyone's else's hands, and said that he will study the issue to see if there is anything he can do to put Luka into better situations at the ends of games. Rick brushed off a question about Luka's poor free-throw shooting, saying he will be fine. Luka, addressing the same issue, says the problem is "mental." Not his best effort, but he still entertained with exciting moments. 

Seth (34 min) performed well in his starting role, and was the team's second-leading scorer, with 15 points on 6-9 shooting, including 4-5 triples. Harp called him a very underrated player. He did a decent job defensively, considering. His ball handling and passing were good, and his threes were brilliant. 

Wright (31 min) was 11-8-4 off the bench, and led the offense well in Luka's absence. He and DFS were the squad's leading rebounders (8 and 10, respectively). 

Porzingis (25 min) had 15 points on not especially good shooting (6-14), grabbed only two rebounds on the night, and turned the ball over three times. He did provide some rim protection, as much as he could, and had a nifty pass to DFS for a flush. I thought he might have been a little winded a couple of times, although it's hard to tell from a TV screen. After the game, he said that the Mavs got a little unlucky at the end, but are also still learning to play under high pressure. 

Maxi (17 min) had a rough night, with 8 points, 2-8 from three, and three boards. He spent most of the second half in foul trouble, being called for his third on an away-from-the-play foul in the last two minutes of the first half. He committed his fourth on a loose ball foul in the middle of the third quarter and had to head for the bench early. He missed all four of his shot attempts in the fourth. Utah's big guys are tough covers. 

Boban (6 min) had a short runout, due to KP and Maxi both having four fouls in the third quarter. He scored only 2 points, but was the only Mav who could go toe-to-toe with Gobert on the glass. 

Bench. The second unit failed to show up in the fourth quarter. In a combined 27 minutes, they contributed one field goal and two free throws to the scoreboard. They had 28 points on the night, 11 of which were scored by Wright, who played starter minutes. 

Jazz. Gobert chewed the Mavs up and spit them out with 22 points on 8-8 shooting, 17 rebounds, and a game-high 5 blocks. I thought he might foul out at the end, but no such luck. Rick thinks he will be Defensive Player of the Year again, and said he made an amazing impact on the defensive end. Can't argue. Other Jazz in double figures were Donovan Mitchell (25), Bogdanovic (23), and O'Neale (12). Quite a crew of big men, there. 

Remarks

Rick liked the effort and the togetherness, and thought his squad did a lot of good things. He acknowledged, however, that they are a young group and still gaining experience, and need to do "a lot of things a lot better." Only one big man at a time was in the lineup for most of the game, and Rick said that the smalll units gave them a disadvantage in rebounding and maintaining the pace. His guys didn't run as well as he hoped, which he attributed partly to the altitude and partly to bad habits. He likes the five-out offense, while allowing that certain trade-offs come with it.

I suppose the glass-half-full perspective on this is to admire the team for playing a competitive game in altitude, on the road, in front of a noisy hostile crowd, against a team that had won 18 of their last 20 games. And there was a lot to like, not least the quality entertainment. Just disappointing to come so close and not be able to get over the line. I guess that's the way it is with inexperienced teams. 

Next. The Mavs face the Thunder to close out their road trip in Oklahoma City. Willie Cauley-Stein is expected to be available, but will not have practiced with the team, and may or may not be activated or play. Rick says they will give him a crash course in their system, and simplify the schemes when he is on the floor for a while. Compared to Powell, WCS is I believe a little bigger, and may provide more rebounding and defense than DP could. He is also a rim-runner. However, he doesn't space the floor, which would seem to limit his utility in Carlisle's system. Coach said that WCS will "add to our depth," which is usually Rick-speak for "he's a rabbit I can pull out of my hat occasionally." But time will tell, and we'll see what happens. 

Hang in there, MFFLs!
Like Reply
Let me add this while I'm here. I re-watched the last 3 minutes of the game.
Rudy did not play on KP, this was smart because they knew that all KP would do is sit out at the 3 point line. Rudy played on DFS, who is not a great 3-point shooter, and that allowed him to sit under the basket. RC had no answer to this. Then things got worse when they brought in Wright, he made countless mistakes.

Right now, I don't see an overall reason to bash Luka for this game, other than he missed his FTs, and he made one mistake on the defensive end under a minute left, but he has NO, and I mean, NO HELP. These teams are filtering Luka to the basket where they have help, and leaving scrubs open for brick shots. Then you have little Curry out there guarding a 6-8 Bogdonavic.

We have no chance until and unless we get our overall talent up. We have no legit basket penetrator's except Luka. We have no big men with balls except maybe Kleber, who incidentally was out of the game when the game was coming down the stretch. Although he missed easy threes, he would have been much needed defensive help because KP was just down right awful. I don't see KP's use if he's going to play small, instead of 7'3.
Like Reply
Brad Townsend reports that the Mavs trailed for only 77.5 seconds of the game. Unfortunately, 38 of those seconds were the last of the match.
Like Reply
Luka needs the drive, stop and pop mid range shot. He has great balance and handles and should be able to do that. Not sure if the coaching staff is giving him the correct advice if they look at analytics and deem that shot is not a good one. Analytics are not the be all end all. There should be an in between game and not just a 3 or a drive to the basket.
Like Reply
Rant -- How does an NBA team shoot 54% on free throws?  And if Luka is going to go 1-5 on FTs and 2-10 on threes, I have to bring somebody else in to try to preserve the lead and win the dang game.  Okay, rant over.

(01-26-2020, 10:58 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: Luka needs the drive, stop and pop mid range shot.  He has great balance and handles and should be able to do that. Not sure if the coaching staff is giving him the correct advice if they look at analytics and deem that shot is not a good one. Analytics are not the be all end all.  There should be an in between game and not just a 3 or a drive to the basket.
Agreed.  Luka's floater and mid-range jumper are great, so go for it.  Also, when you drive and stop abruptly for that shot, there is a good chance of getting fouled.
Like Reply
(01-26-2020, 10:58 AM)mtrot Wrote: Rant -- How does an NBA team shoot 54% on free throws?  And if Luka is going to go 1-5 on FTs and 2-10 on threes, I have to bring somebody else in to try to preserve the lead and win the dang game.  Okay, rant over.

(01-26-2020, 10:58 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: Luka needs the drive, stop and pop mid range shot.  He has great balance and handles and should be able to do that. Not sure if the coaching staff is giving him the correct advice if they look at analytics and deem that shot is not a good one. Analytics are not the be all end all.  There should be an in between game and not just a 3 or a drive to the basket.
Agreed.  Luka's floater and mid-range jumper are great, so go for it.  Also, when you drive and stop abruptly for that shot, there is a good chance of getting fouled.

The main thing is it is a difficult shot to defend.  It is easier to defend the 3 pt line and drives. Unless you are a GS with 3 ridiculous shooters, an offense over reliant on 3 pt shots have always been easy to stop in the playoffs. 

2011 Dirk and JeT made a lot of 3s. However they made a lot of drive, stop on a dime, pull up shots too.  

It is all about variety.  

I also think this is a shot that Luka can master in a relatively short time. Great handles, balance, and a good stroke too when he is not forcing long distance shots.

Can Dirk put Holger in touch with Luka?
Like Reply
(01-26-2020, 10:58 AM)mtrot Wrote: Rant -- How does an NBA team shoot 54% on free throws?  And if Luka is going to go 1-5 on FTs and 2-10 on threes, I have to bring somebody else in to try to preserve the lead and win the dang game.  Okay, rant over.

That´s another reason we need a legit #2 scoring option/attacker. Luka rarely gets an open three and his piss-poor FT shooting is also a sign of fatigue. There is virtually nobody else on this team that can draw double teams or collapse a defense, so Luka is getting an open 3pt look.
Like Reply
Begin Rant

fact of the matter is we rely too much on luka for everything on offense. to create for himself and everyone else. on the roster only he and barea can reliably make offense out of nothing as can brunson occasionally but everything else in our offense is "passing for 3 point attempts". I wish we could find a way to get more consistent Delon because when he is on and active the eye test tells me we do well. Other than boban who can actually post up or the occasional floaters from seth/jjackson the easy route to gameplan against us it to hang tight most of the game then force luka to give up the ball or jack step backs and live with the results. 

we compound all of this by playing guys outta position giving up rebounds at the worst times often igniting the fast break for the other team off our missed 3s. Also luka handles the ball too much without giving him enough rest so hes bricking his FTs and the 3s late in game. we gotta mix up the offense and play with size (as best we can). Try a finishing 5 with Boban, KP, Maxi, THJ/Curry (depending on who's hot) and Luka. We gotta get size so we can force tougher shots, get the rebound when we force the miss, and get easier attempts on offense. Cant just be hey luka make some magic and bring it home. 

Postup boban or let him screen for someone as he actually creates space, try some backdoor cuts off a feed to maxi or THJ in the post. Insanity is doing the same stuff and expecting a different result. What we do doesn't work vs contending teams so try something else. Curry can hit pullups as can Doncic, maybe have them try some pick and pop with KP and THJ/DFS in the corners with Boban/Maxi/Caulie Stein in the paint to cleanup misses!!! 

END RANT
Like Reply
(01-26-2020, 11:12 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote:

That´s another reason we need a legit #2 scoring option/attacker. Luka rarely gets an open three and his piss-poor FT shooting is also a sign of fatigue. There is virtually nobody else on this team that can draw double teams or collapse a defense, so Luka is getting an open 3pt look.

Poor FT shooting is something he needs to correct. The fatigue excuse makes no sense there.

Yes we need more playmakers but this is why I keep harping that a 5 out offense with one playmaker is not a good idea. Luka can post up. High post with dribble hand offs and movement can be run with Luka and with KP. 

You cannot keep running this offense touting its historical efficiency, and when it comes up short against good teams(7-12 against teams over 500 as per what someone posted) then suddenly say it is because Luka is doing too much. It is a poor offense that we get away with because there are many bad teams, and because Luka even at 20 with his flaws is a transcendent talent who is masking a very poor job by the coaching staff.
Like Reply
A lot of good arguments here about how to beat these top teams, but the fact remains that all that was lacking for a win last night was for Maxi to hit just a couple of his threes and Luka to make a couple more FTs.  I don't know if coaching can help that, other than to require more shooting practice.  I mean, it's a great thing that Luka is getting to the line; that's what I want him to do.
Like Reply
(01-26-2020, 01:28 PM)GImtrot Wrote: A lot of good arguments here about how to beat these top teams, but the fact remains that all that was lacking for a win last night was for Maxi to hit just a couple of his threes and Luka to make a couple more FTs.  I don't know if coaching can help that, other than to require more shooting practice.  I mean, it's a great thing that Luka is getting to the line; that's what I want him to do.

FT shooting is not on the coaching staff. It is not about fatigue. That is on the player taking the FT. 

Also it is not just about wins now but about continuing to evolve. No one expects the team to be a contender. For Luka to be the best he can be in the long run,  he needs a drive, stop on a dime pull up jump shot inside the arc.  Where I blame the coaching more than some wins here or there is that part of the game does not seem to be emphasized. Or maybe I am wrong and Luka is just ignoring the coaching staff.

I realize I am hard on Luka. It is mainly because he is such a transcendent talent and I am greedy. I realize it is not fair. KP needs to step up too. 2 rebounds is not acceptable. We can talk about all the other pieces. The roster is based on these 2 guys. One has more than carried the load. Be it injuries or adjustments, the other needs to start to step up.
Like Reply
Townsend reporting that the Mavs headed back to their hotel in OKC, but Luka stayed behind to work on his free throws.
Like Reply
(01-26-2020, 01:47 PM)hakeemfan Wrote:
(01-26-2020, 01:28 PM)GImtrot Wrote: A lot of good arguments here about how to beat these top teams, but the fact remains that all that was lacking for a win last night was for Maxi to hit just a couple of his threes and Luka to make a couple more FTs.  I don't know if coaching can help that, other than to require more shooting practice.  I mean, it's a great thing that Luka is getting to the line; that's what I want him to do.

FT shooting is not on the coaching staff. It is not about fatigue. That is on the player taking the FT. 

Also it is not just about wins now but about continuing to evolve. No one expects the team to be a contender. For Luka to be the best he can be in the long run,  he needs a drive, stop on a dime pull up jump shot inside the arc.  Where I blame the coaching more than some wins here or there is that part of the game does not seem to be emphasized. Or maybe I am wrong and Luka is just ignoring the coaching staff.

I realize I am hard on Luka. It is mainly because he is such a transcendent talent and I am greedy. I realize it is not fair.  KP needs to step up too. 2 rebounds is not acceptable.  We can talk about all the other pieces. The roster is based on these 2 guys. One has more than carried the load. Be it injuries or adjustments, the other needs to start to step up.
Yeah, perhaps the great success the Mavs had early in the season lulled KP and Luka just a bit into a misconception about how hard it was going to be to beat the top teams as the season went on and teams started to step up their games.  Hopefully, they can take their focus and intensity up a notch to match that of these top teams.  Last night's game was there for the taking, with the addition of a few more rebounds, free throws, and three pointers.  They can do it.
Like Reply
(01-26-2020, 01:28 PM)mtrot Wrote: A lot of good arguments here about how to beat these top teams, but the fact remains that all that was lacking for a win last night was for Maxi to hit just a couple of his threes and Luka to make a couple more FTs.  I don't know if coaching can help that, other than to require more shooting practice.  I mean, it's a great thing that Luka is getting to the line; that's what I want him to do.
But we tried that last night and it didn't work. We've been trying that all season and it works on the lesser teams, not on the better teams...as much. How many more times do we have to say, "all that was needed was 1 or 2 misses to be a make" before we realize that what HF has been championing...variety in the offense, different looks, changing things up is what this actual issue is? Over-reliance on 3's is going to win you lots of games against teams that just don't get "it". For the teams that do (playoff teams), we will be screwed IMO. Ask Houston how that works out for them, cause they've been doing it for a looooong time. 

In all honesty, analytics has a place in this sport, but what is the point in having a great coach if all you're relying on is the analytics? Couldn't a monkey be trained to push a button at the right time that analytics says that player should be sent in the game or what play to run at a particular time, etc...?
Like Reply
(01-26-2020, 03:21 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(01-26-2020, 01:28 PM)mtrot Wrote: A lot of good arguments here about how to beat these top teams, but the fact remains that all that was lacking for a win last night was for Maxi to hit just a couple of his threes and Luka to make a couple more FTs.  I don't know if coaching can help that, other than to require more shooting practice.  I mean, it's a great thing that Luka is getting to the line; that's what I want him to do.
But we tried that last night and it didn't work. We've been trying that all season and it works on the lesser teams, not on the better teams...as much. How many more times do we have to say, "all that was needed was 1 or 2 misses to be a make" before we realize that what HF has been championing...variety in the offense, different looks, changing things up is what this actual issue is? Over-reliance on 3's is going to win you lots of games against teams that just don't get "it". For the teams that do (playoff teams), we will be screwed IMO. Ask Houston how that works out for them, cause they've been doing it for a looooong time. 

In all honesty, analytics has a place in this sport, but what is the point in having a great coach if all you're relying on is the analytics? Couldn't a monkey be trained to push a button at the right time that analytics says that player should be sent in the game or what play to run at a particular time, etc...?
I hear you, and if you read my posts, you know that I've also been begging for a more diversified offense and better attention to the fundamentals of the game.  I'm just saying that in this particular game, the Mavs likely win the game if they just make their free throws.  And I note that, apparently, Luka stayed behind to work on free throws after the game.
Like Reply
(01-26-2020, 03:38 PM)mtrot Wrote: ... I'm just saying that in this particular game, the Mavs likely win the game if they just make their free throws.
We don't know that. What we know is that Jazzs did not hesitate a moment with their game when game was on the edge while most of the Mavs where w/o courage to took their gain good chances.
It's the matter of the players nature, in clutch you just can not use guys who needs hours to decide to shoot or dribble when time is luxury you don't have.
Like Reply
(01-26-2020, 03:38 PM)mtrot Wrote: I hear you, and if you read my posts, you know that I've also been begging for a more diversified offense and better attention to the fundamentals of the game.  I'm just saying that in this particular game, the Mavs likely win the game if they just make their free throws.  And I note that, apparently, Luka stayed behind to work on free throws after the game.
Here's the thing though, our team's mentality is, just get 1 more 3, that'll put them away. They don't look at, just put points on the board. Sure, making 1 more 3 would put them in a better position to win the game, all the other team is thinking is put up the higher percentage shot, if the 3 is wide open and in rythm, take it, but work for the highest percentage shot, not highest number shot. They're winning in that respect. Five out is great to get your team to the 4th quarter (as a majority play), at that point, it's not against the best teams.
Like Reply
You're not suggesting that Luka is unable to complete mid-range shots, are you, hf? Because we have all seen him do it. 

Is your suggestion more that the coaching staff should encourage him to take those shots? I'm not sure they are discouraging those shots in an absolute sense. The system is designed to get players open shots. Preferably high-percentage (close to the rim) or high-value (threes). But I think Rick would rather a player take an open mid-range shot than a tightly contested layup or three. In the playoffs, the only open shots available may be mid-range shots, and they'll need to be able to make those.
Like Reply
(01-26-2020, 03:35 AM)philjuan1 Wrote: We have no chance until and unless we get our overall talent up.
I don't think the Mavs would disagree with that, if you could talk to them privately. There are various avenues to raising the talent level, including internal improvement. But I don't think they are under any illusion that they are title contenders as is. As Rick said, they need to do a lot of things a lot better.
Like Reply
As I have said many times from before the season started, a great way to put more talent on the court is for all of guys to improve. We have had so many candidates for internal improvement and many of them are improving...some quite rapidly. 

PS. I hope you guys who felt the need to rant feel better. I was frustrated too put I chose not to post for a day to cool down from the extremely frustrating loss. OKC is chasing us and they got us last time. Next up: keep those guys behind us in the standings. 

Next up soon: More success at the trade deadline.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply